Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,705 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student (7070 Views)

Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? / I am Thinking Of Buying Volvo S40 For Uber, Am I On A Suicide Mission / Introducing The Volvo Limo Proudly Made In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Nobody: 2:31am On Nov 08, 2016
Goodday house
Am a final year students in school,and I have been wondering if a volvo s40(2004-2006model)can be a good car for a starter in life,I choose the volvo because I don't want something flashy or something that people will see because it's too common on the road they will now think that one has finally arrived,that's why the likes of Camry corolla isnt in my choice for now (if u know what I mean).....
Therefore I appeal to all to give me a reasonable advice concerning the volvo s40, is it student pocket friendly (easy to maintain),how is the car performance generally,can it survive the test of time if maintained properly because I plan using it for Atleast 4years unless Bigger blessing come shall,which I Believe by GOD GRACE Will . .
What's the maintaince culture like?
Is it expensive to maintain?,
& are there any known problems associated with the car?.
Please ur humble contribution will be highly appreciated
Thanks alot house

Cc gazzuz
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Asegzy: 7:00am On Nov 08, 2016
Sir OP ,if u don't want to regret driving a car pls I advise u to run away from the Volvo s40.
I know its a very nice looking car with a superb nterior and wonderful audio system But dats it bro.
1.It has a very compact engine which is not adapted to the Nigerian tropical weather so it overheats a lot.
2.when the car overheats the engine knocks immediately. (So in essense ,u must buy a new engine ,no matter how good ur maintenance culture is)
3.the spare parts are very scarce and very expensive
4. The mechanics and electricals of the car are very complex so even experienced mechanics will wreck the car.
Seems ure a man of class and style so u can go for a bimmer e46 model or Benz eclass2004 model
In short any car is better than the s40.I'm saying this based on experience from myself ,my friends ,and others who have used d car
To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
Its attractive but its looks are highly deceiving.
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Asegzy: 7:09am On Nov 08, 2016
Buy a 2004 or 2005 BMW 320i e46 model.
.it's rugged,classy dependable, everlasting,easy to maintain, fuel efficient ,good paint job.
Pls don't buy the BMW 320xi model

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 08, 2016
Asegzy:
Sir OP ,if u don't want to regret driving a car pls I advise u to run away from the Volvo s40.
I know its a very nice looking car with a superb nterior and wonderful audio system But dats it bro.
1.It has a very compact engine which is not adapted to the Nigerian tropical weather so it overheats a lot.
2.when the car overheats the engine knocks immediately. (So in essense ,u must buy a new engine ,no matter how good ur maintenance culture is)
4. The mechanics and electricals of the car are very complex so even experienced mechanics will wreck the car.
Seems ure a man of class and style so u can go for a bimmer e46 model or Benz eclass2004 model
In short any car is better than the s40.I'm saying this based on experience from myself ,my friends ,and others who have used d car
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!
Thankyou
Let me hear what others still have to say
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:39am On Nov 08, 2016
Asegzy:
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!

not adapted to nigerian tropical weather

stop listening to road side mechanics

4 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:46am On Nov 08, 2016
I no longer work on volvo, so my comments might be biased.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 08, 2016
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=50857648]I no longer work on volvo, so my comments might be biased. [/
quote]
No sir it won't I personally seeker for ur opinion on these issue
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Inception(m): 8:58am On Nov 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
I no longer work on volvo, so my comments might be biased.

Op
There you have your answer grin grin grin
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 08, 2016
Inception:

Op
There you have your answer grin grin grin
Lols now I understand
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by diportivo: 10:14am On Nov 08, 2016
Asegzy:

This number one point is probably the most hilarious thing iv resd on nairaland this week grin grin grin

The 2.0T or 2.5T which are both 5cyl engines can't be compact....in whatever guise u wanna term it,and it certainly doesn't av anything to do with the tropics

U avnt even travelled all over the world cos if u av,u wld see places hotter dan naija where Volvo cars are being used...... grin

I wonder if the engine in a picanto is compact,and if it overheats a lot cos of dat

While I understand dat u av had ur experiences,u can't be using a turbocharged vehicle and not follow simple instructions like using a synthetic oil...Volvo categorically approves castrol

Let me not even touch the number 2 point sef

Compact engine

undecided

Valarinz,come and learn oh

8 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Asegzy: 10:44am On Nov 08, 2016
I'm not a mechanic so I may not know d right terms to use BT for some reason ,recent volvos overheat a lot.
Infact u can do a simple survey of how many s40s u see on d road.
Most of the s40s I've seen are usually parked with no tyres and "for sale" sign on top of them.
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by valarinz: 11:07am On Nov 08, 2016
Asegzy:
I'm not a mechanic so I may not know d right terms to use BT for some reason ,recent volvos overheat a lot.
Infact u can do a simple survey of how many s40s u see on d road.
Most of the s40s I've seen are usually parked with no tyres and "for sale" sign on top of them.

The most dangerous thing in the world is ignorance, your comments so far seems to be the most ignorant,.myopic and hate-filled ones I've read in a while on nairaland, smh

Pls, where and when was the survey conducted and what's the criteria, you say "most s40s I've seen", how do we now ascertain how well traveled you really are, honestly the way you've been taking your time to bash makes it seem you're just an attention seeker, get a life or go produce your own car

4 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by valarinz: 11:24am On Nov 08, 2016
Asegzy:
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!

Now, let's attend to your issues here, point by point

1. You say "it has a compact engine which doesn't adapt to the Nigerian weather very well"

Pls define 'compact engine' , as used by you in this context, and as for the Nigerian weather thing?? Ignorance at its best . You say it overheats a lot, pls how do you arrive at this statistic, personally I can't Remember any of my clients complaining of their S40 overheating
Obviously, you lack maintenance culture on cars, get one and avoid illiterate kazeems

2 "When the car overheats, the engine knocks immediately "

Chisos Christi! !!!, honestly this is beginning to sound like beer parlor exchange of words between two drunk fighters, ok

3 "the spare parts are very scarce and expensive "

At this point I concluded you're just a child of hate, you've never been 100m close to anyone who owns or have used a volvo S40, pls create a thread where we'll compare the price of volvo S40 with the corresponding car of your favorite brand and mention me to the thread, we'll compare side by side from cost of engine down to the brake bulbs

4. At this point I understand where your problem is coming from

You and your friends are a curse to automobiles and should be banned from ever owning one, if you can't maintain a simple Volvo S40 car

This same S40 car that I have a long list of clients waiting to buy with no car in sight, pls point me to those areas where you have those S40 on flat tyres with plastic bottles and sale signs on them and I'll forever be grateful to you, I'll also buy yours and your friends own on the spot if you can provide them, I make this an open challenge bro.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Asegzy: 1:13pm On Nov 08, 2016
You get time ooo.choi!!!
Get a job pls shocked
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by valarinz: 1:33pm On Nov 08, 2016
Asegzy:
You get time ooo.choi!!!
Get a job pls shocked

I got a full time job, which I enjoy my man, and it's car biz, what's yours?? And obviously replying you is part of my job, so??

Is that all?? Pls show me em S40's on flat tyres for sale, I'm desperately searching for them and will buy any you can provide, plss

7 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Asegzy: 2:36pm On Nov 08, 2016
valarinz:

I got a full time job, which I enjoy my man, and it's car biz, what's yours?? And obviously replying you is part of my job, so??

Is that all?? Pls show me em S40's on flat tyres for sale, I'm desperately searching for them and will buy any you can provide, plss
this is my pal in an s40 at a mechanic workshop .nb: I don't use roadside mechanics. It seems you deal in Volvo cars ,that's why u are taking it personal

1 Share

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by valarinz: 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2016
Asegzy:
this is my pal in an s40 at a mechanic workshop .nb: I don't use roadside mechanics. It seems you deal in Volvo cars ,that's why u are taking it personal

Bros, I'm waiting for the locations of the S40 cars on flat tyres pls, I need to buy as much as possible, I don't need these pics, I can do a thousand selfie in different models of S40's and paste here, it's irrelevant, just show me those damn cars, thanks

NB: while you keep hanging around guys with bad maintainace culture and patronizing quack mechanics, others are buying and enjoying their volvo cars, and we sell steady, even today sold my S60 on nairaland to someone who has some brain, keep bad mouthing a product no one from your whole kindred can think of producing
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by kumari089(m): 6:08pm On Nov 08, 2016
@op i will commend u for thinking of getting a Volvo and i will advise base on experience. Volvo is a nice and solid car on its own, It has some nice interior, solid engine that can stand the test of time if manage appropriately and the electronic is superb. All cars have their own shortcoming and volvo is not an exemption. You need to first enquire if u can get a competent volvo mechanic in ur area, if not, that might be ur first problem. When i bought my s80 in 2012 which happen to be my first car the mechanic i was using knew little or nothing about volvo and that almost ruin the car until i had to give my self some brain. As for the parts i can assure u that volvo parts are some of the cheapest only problem is that u have to get to Daleko market to buy even an ordinary volvo fan belt. U can be rest assured that no thieves will ne after u to steal ur Volvo even if u forget to lock it at nightv only u shouldnt make this an habbit. Ask around how much thay sell engine of most common cars and compare it to a volvo and there u will see a glaring difference. When u are taking ur car to the mechanic, always stay with ur car. Cultivatethis habbit and thank me later. Lastly because a car arent common dosent mean it arent better than the rest. Just like some said volvo recommendd castro oil, thats true but i use mobil super 1000 as i cant lay my hands on castro. Treat ur volvo well & it will last u.

Nb: am still rocking my volvo s80

7 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:43pm On Nov 08, 2016
kumari089:
@op i will commend u for thinking of getting a Volvo and i will advise base on experience. Volvo is a nice and solid car on its own, It has some nice interior, solid engine that can stand the test of time if manage appropriately and the electronic is superb. All cars have their own shortcoming and volvo is not an exemption. You need to first enquire if u can get a competent volvo mechanic in ur area, if not, that might be ur first problem. When i bought my s80 in 2012 which happen to be my first car the mechanic i was using knew little or nothing about volvo and that almost ruin the car until i had to give my self some brain. As for the parts i can assure u that volvo parts are some of the cheapest only problem is that u have to get to Daleko market to buy even an ordinary volvo fan belt. U can be rest assured that no thieves will ne after u to steal ur Volvo even if u forget to lock it at nightv only u shouldnt make this an habbit. Ask around how much thay sell engine of most common cars and compare it to a volvo and there u will see a glaring difference. When u are taking ur car to the mechanic, always stay with ur car. Cultivatethis habbit and thank me later. Lastly because a car arent common dosent mean it arent better than the rest. Just like some said volvo recommendd [b]castro oi[/b]l, thats true but i use mobil super 1000 as i cant lay my hands on castro. Treat ur volvo well & it will last u.

I have lots of synthetic Castrol oil boss.

5 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Philadelphia: 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2016
valarinz:

Now, let's attend to your issues here, point by point

1. You say "it has a compact engine which doesn't adapt to the Nigerian weather very well"

Pls define 'compact engine' , as used by you in this context, and as for the Nigerian weather thing?? Ignorance at its best . You say it overheats a lot, pls how do you arrive at this statistic, personally I can't Remember any of my clients complaining of their S40 overheating
Obviously, you lack maintenance culture on cars, get one and avoid illiterate kazeems

2 "When the car overheats, the engine knocks immediately "

Chisos Christi! !!!, honestly this is beginning to sound like beer parlor exchange of words between two drunk fighters, ok

3 "the spare parts are very scarce and expensive "

At this point I concluded you're just a child of hate, you've never been 100m close to anyone who owns or have used a volvo S40, pls create a thread where we'll compare the price of volvo S40 with the corresponding car of your favorite brand and mention me to the thread, we'll compare side by side from cost of engine down to the brake bulbs

4. At this point I understand where your problem is coming from

You and your friends are a curse to automobiles and should be banned from ever owning one, if you can't maintain a simple Volvo S40 car

This same S40 car that I have a long list of clients waiting to buy with no car in sight, pls point me to those areas where you have those S40 on flat tyres with plastic bottles and sale signs on them and I'll forever be grateful to you, I'll also buy yours and your friends own on the spot if you can provide them, I make this an open challenge bro.

In Shao Kahn's baritonic voice "Flawless Victory" grin

6 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Philadelphia: 6:51pm On Nov 08, 2016
I'm commenting because the op did not give other options but listed volvo only.
The volvo is a nice car. I don't own one but a colleague of mine owns an S40 and that was just the reason I loved it. He Left His Toyota Spider (hybrid) and is enjoying the volvo. Does this answer your question?
Well, for any car you want to buy, have an expert technician for a mechanic and you'd love the car. Even if it'd a Nissan Murano grin or a wheel Barrow lol wink

2 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by diportivo: 9:08pm On Nov 08, 2016
I don know say valarinz go come here with machine gun

grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by valarinz: 9:19pm On Nov 08, 2016
diportivo:
I don know say valarinz go come here with machine gun

grin grin grin grin

Bazooka, pump action, even ijebu juju, chai

3 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 08, 2016
kumari089:
@op i will commend u for thinking of getting a Volvo and i will advise base on experience. Volvo is a nice and solid car on its own, It has some nice interior, solid engine that can stand the test of time if manage appropriately and the electronic is superb. All cars have their own shortcoming and volvo is not an exemption. You need to first enquire if u can get a competent volvo mechanic in ur area, if not, that might be ur first problem. When i bought my s80 in 2012 which happen to be my first car the mechanic i was using knew little or nothing about volvo and that almost ruin the car until i had to give my self some brain. As for the parts i can assure u that volvo parts are some of the cheapest only problem is that u have to get to Daleko market to buy even an ordinary volvo fan belt. U can be rest assured that no thieves will ne after u to steal ur Volvo even if u forget to lock it at nightv only u shouldnt make this an habbit. Ask around how much thay sell engine of most common cars and compare it to a volvo and there u will see a glaring difference. When u are taking ur car to the mechanic, always stay with ur car. Cultivatethis habbit and thank me later. Lastly because a car arent common dosent mean it arent better than the rest. Just like some said volvo recommendd castro oil, thats true but i use mobil super 1000 as i cant lay my hands on castro. Treat ur volvo well & it will last u.

Wow u gave me a nice summary buh me wey no they lagos to find parts am in the Niger Delta axis....
All the same thanks alot u clarified me alot hope u don't me me charting u up

1 Like

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by kumari089(m): 8:12am On Nov 11, 2016
Nope u welcome
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Evasmil4(m): 11:46am On Nov 13, 2016
All have been said,
I've being using my Volvo V40 2001 since 2014. Never regret once
I have sold not less than 10 Volvo to clients between 2012 till date. Never got a complain.
VOLVO For Life cheesy

Thanks Valarinz for bringing all the weapon again BAD BELE ppl.
God Bless.........VOLVO For FUN

Feel this S40 2003

3 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Evasmil4(m): 12:05pm On Nov 13, 2016
@Op, The S40 2004 to 2007 is a sleek smart car laden with a 5cly Engines of different option.
I use Volvo and I Sell Volvo Cars.
The only note I will like to make is, if this is your first car, then better step down to a 2003 S40 2.0 Turbo for now to start with.
When you are in Love with The Swedish Machine, step up to S40 2004-2007 or better still S60 2002-2006.

But this Man that is telling you to use Volvo money to buy Benz/BMW no like you ooo, because for price they no be mate.
Pls just do little market survey for urself and see what price difference they have.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 13, 2016
Evasmil4:
@Op, The S40 2004 to 2007 is a sleek smart car laden with a 5cly Engines of different option.
I use Volvo and I Sell Volvo Cars.
The only note I will like to make is, if this is your first car, then better step down to a 2003 S40 2.0 Turbo for now to start with.
When you are in Love with The Swedish Machine, step up to S40 2004-2007 or better still S60 2002-2006.

But this Man that is telling you to use Volvo money to buy Benz/BMW no like you ooo, because for price they no be mate.
Pls just do little market survey for urself and see what price difference they have.

Thanks
I sent u a pm buh u neva replied hope u don't mind me having ur number
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Evasmil4(m): 10:17pm On Nov 13, 2016
pyaarimpossible:

I sent u a pm buh u neva replied hope u don't mind me having ur number

I noticed a pm from you but couldn't view it,
i don't mind.
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Nobody: 11:11pm On Nov 13, 2016
Evasmil4:

I noticed a pm from you but couldn't view it,
i don't mind.
Ok if u can drop it here I don't mind
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by Evasmil4(m): 10:25pm On Nov 15, 2016

Ok if u can drop it here I don't mind

ok, here we go
Re: Is The Volvo S40 Good For A Ist Car For A Student by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:31pm On Nov 15, 2016
where did the OP go? grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

HELP: Differences Between American And European Specification Of Golf4 / Difference Between A SK16HR11 And SK20HR11 Denso Iridium Spark Plug / 'Nigeria Used' And 'Registered' Cars - Any Difference?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.