Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,780 members, 7,806,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) (19087 Views)

3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint / What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by AutofactorNG: 8:59am On Nov 08, 2016
Common signs include grinding or squeaking noises coming from the belt, unusual belt wear, and belt-driven accessories like the alternator failing.

A Fan Belt Adjuster, also referred to as drive belt tensioner is a pulley mounted on a spring mechanism or adjustable pivot point that is used to keep tension on the engine belts. Spring tensioners are designed to tension automatically while the pivot design types can be adjusted manually. Both are used to keep tension on the engine serpentine belts so that they can drive the various engine accessories.

When the adjuster has an issue, it can affect the how the belts drive the pulleys which can affect the performance and functionality of the vehicle. Usually a bad or failing adjuster will produce a few symptoms that can alert the driver of a potential problem that should be serviced.

1. Grinding or squeaking noise from the belts or tensioner

The most common symptom of a bad or failing fan belt adjuster is noise from the belts or tensioner. If the tensioner is loose the belts may squeak or squeal, especially when the engine is first started. It is also possible for the tensioner pulley or bearing to wear out, in which case the vehicle will produce a grinding noise from the pulley.

2. Unusual belt wear

Another symptom of a potential problem with the fan belt adjuster is unusual belt wear. If the fan belt adjuster pulley has any sort of issue it can cause unusual and accelerated wear on the belt. A bad pulley can cause fraying on the edges of the belt, and in severe cases can even cause it to break.

3. Belt-driven accessories fail

Another symptom of bad or failing fan belt adjuster is failure of the belt driven accessories. Many of the engine’s accessories, such as the alternator, water pump, and AC compressor, can be belt driven. A seized or loose fan belt adjuster can cause the belt to snap, which will disables those accessories and can cause problems such as overheating, a dead electrical system and battery, or a disabled AC system. Usually a belt that has failed because of the tensioner will have to be replaced, along with the tensioner, in order to restore full functionality to the vehicle.

A fan belt adjuster is an important component as it is what keeps the belt properly tensioned so that it can properly drive the vehicle’s accessories. If you suspect that your fan belt adjuster may be having an issue, have the vehicle inspected by a professional technician, such as one from AutoFactorNG, to determine if it should be replaced.

1 Like

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by geovidal(m): 10:10pm On Nov 08, 2016
I seriously need to replace this in my Toyota corolla o4, I ve searched everywhere in my area but couldn't find. How much would it cost if u can get it for me. Thanks
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by sassiemyk: 6:09am On Nov 09, 2016
Seriously if Nigeria were a Car, I am it would need a fan belt, engine and a complete body replacement, Cos Bubu is driving it like Dangote trailer drivers.

4 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by greggng: 6:12am On Nov 09, 2016
geovidal:
I seriously need to replace this in my Toyota corolla o4, I ve searched everywhere in my area but couldn't find. How much would it cost if u can get it for me. Thanks

Have u gone to ladipo? Don't u ve a good mechanic?
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by herzern(m): 6:14am On Nov 09, 2016

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by luvinhubby(m): 6:14am On Nov 09, 2016
Makes a whistling or humming noise also when failing.

1 Like

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by destinedtee(m): 6:16am On Nov 09, 2016
Thanks OP... I recently filled the gas for the AC of my car and its working fine but my belt started giving this squeaking sound. It doesn't do this always but once in a while when I start the car or when I am just about to move. It does so for some seconds and then stops. Could this squeaking noise be attributed to the fact that I just fixed my AC? Thanks bro.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by lonelydora: 6:19am On Nov 09, 2016
Most Nigerians will just put small engine oil on the belt to stop the squealing noise instead of changing the belt or tensioner.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by Kunleskey(m): 6:21am On Nov 09, 2016
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by apheyz(m): 6:45am On Nov 09, 2016
AutofactorNG:
Common signs include grinding or squeaking noises coming from the belt, unusual belt wear, and belt-driven accessories like the alternator failing.

A Fan Belt Adjuster, also referred to as drive belt tensioner is a pulley mounted on a spring mechanism or adjustable pivot point that is used to keep tension on the engine belts. Spring tensioners are designed to tension automatically while the pivot design types can be adjusted manually. Both are used to keep tension on the engine serpentine belts so that they can drive the various engine accessories.

When the adjuster has an issue, it can affect the how the belts drive the pulleys which can affect the performance and functionality of the vehicle. Usually a bad or failing adjuster will produce a few symptoms that can alert the driver of a potential problem that should be serviced.

1. Grinding or squeaking noise from the belts or tensioner

The most common symptom of a bad or failing fan belt adjuster is noise from the belts or tensioner. If the tensioner is loose the belts may squeak or squeal, especially when the engine is first started. It is also possible for the tensioner pulley or bearing to wear out, in which case the vehicle will produce a grinding noise from the pulley.

2. Unusual belt wear

Another symptom of a potential problem with the fan belt adjuster is unusual belt wear. If the fan belt adjuster pulley has any sort of issue it can cause unusual and accelerated wear on the belt. A bad pulley can cause fraying on the edges of the belt, and in severe cases can even cause it to break.

3. Belt-driven accessories fail

Another symptom of bad or failing fan belt adjuster is failure of the belt driven accessories. Many of the engine’s accessories, such as the alternator, water pump, and AC compressor, can be belt driven. A seized or loose fan belt adjuster can cause the belt to snap, which will disables those accessories and can cause problems such as overheating, a dead electrical system and battery, or a disabled AC system. Usually a belt that has failed because of the tensioner will have to be replaced, along with the tensioner, in order to restore full functionality to the vehicle.

A fan belt adjuster is an important component as it is what keeps the belt properly tensioned so that it can properly drive the vehicle’s accessories. If you suspect that your fan belt adjuster may be having an issue, have the vehicle inspected by a professional technician, such as one from AutoFactorNG, to determine if it should be replaced.

my mechanic charged me 7500 for this?

was I cheated..

Coz when he showed it to me..

all i tot was ''na, this is too small to cost that much"
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by swagdopey: 6:54am On Nov 09, 2016
I paid 18k for the belt and the adjuster, guessed my mechanic robbed me
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by geovidal(m): 7:03am On Nov 09, 2016
greggng:

Have u gone to ladipo? Don't u ve a good mechanic?
my location is Ilorin, my mechanic told me he couldn't find one
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by greggng: 7:14am On Nov 09, 2016
geovidal:
my location is Ilorin, my mechanic told me he couldn't find one

Well you can only find that in lagos at ladipo market. if you can make ur way down to lagos that will be easier.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by holluphemydavid(m): 7:14am On Nov 09, 2016
We had dis issue last Sunday, on my way from ilorin to abuja when d fan belt cut, it wasn't funny and am surprised to c dis topic
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by emsquare(m): 7:18am On Nov 09, 2016
Thank you!
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by CuteTj(m): 7:22am On Nov 09, 2016
destinedtee:
Thanks OP... I recently filled the gas for the AC of my car and its working fine but my belt started giving this squeaking sound. It doesn't do this always but once in a while when I start the car or when I am just about to move. It does so for some seconds and then stops. Could this squeaking noise be attributed to the fact that I just fixed my AC? Thanks bro.
Although the noise comes on when you switch on your AC (its the compressor that kicks to life) but I don't think it has anything to do with the filling of your AC. Its the belt. Either the belt is a bit slack or a bit tight.

When I changed my belt and that squealing noise started, all I did to quench the noise from my belt was to apply grease on the teeth of the belt all through. I did that for 3 straight weeks (once a week) and the noise totally disappeared. I don't know if that is proper but 18 months down the line and the belt is still working perfectly.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by kikies(m): 7:24am On Nov 09, 2016
I suggest car users shld jst av a spare in their cars,because it takes so long for this belt to fail thus making it very hard for car users to get used to the noise the belt makes wen failing.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by fidet1(m): 7:30am On Nov 09, 2016
apheyz:

my mechanic charged me 7500 for this?

was I cheated..

Coz when he showed it to me..

all i tot was ''na, this is too small to cost that much"

Well, it depends on the car you use.

I changed mine sometime in May and it costed me 25k.

2009 Audi A6.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by Elhabeeb1(m): 7:51am On Nov 09, 2016
My Honda Accord 07 is right now at the mechanics, they charged me 25k for it. I hope I can see robbed. It makes some terrible sound when I start it in the morning.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by mexxy1(m): 8:26am On Nov 09, 2016
Always give credit to the site you get information from.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-drive-belt-tensioner

Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by destinedtee(m): 10:05am On Nov 09, 2016
CuteTj:

Although the noise comes on when you switch on your AC (its the compressor that kicks to life) but I don't think it has anything to do with the filling of your AC. Its the belt. Either the belt is a bit slack or a bit tight.

When I changed my belt and that squealing noise started, all I did to quench the noise from my belt was to apply grease on the teeth of the belt all through. I did that for 3 straight weeks (once a week) and the noise totally disappeared. I don't know if that is proper but 18 months down the line and the belt is still working perfectly.
Thanks so much for your response... I really appreciate. God bless you real good.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by liljboy(m): 11:22am On Nov 09, 2016
this fan belt of a thing just messed me up last month... we were going for a burial of, we noticed some smoke from the bonnet, just to discover later that the fan belt has melted. that was end of the road for three of us inside the car. we were there for a painstaking 4-5hours looking for a place to buy a replacement, by the time we were done, people at the burial told us it was already over.... we just turn dey go house. just that small thing oooo mtchew.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) by nas00(m): 7:45pm On Nov 09, 2016
CuteTj:

Hullo Sir.

Applying grease or oil to your serpentine belt to eliminate squealing is BAD practice.

Reason: You effectively reduce the torque generated in your engine, due to less grip and some slipping. In short, your engine efficiency and that of all other systems run by the serpentine belt reduces (water pump for cooling, power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor)

The squealing noise you heard might be due to the new belt being too tight or a bit lax. Adjusting the tensioner would solve that. A wet belt may also cause squealing, although that will cease once the belt is dry.

Be safe 'n don't spread bad habits.

Cheers!

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Jeep Unveils The 2020 Gladiator Off-roader That Is Part SUV,Part Pickup / Police In Oyo To Impound Vehicles With Sirens, Spy And Covered Number Plates / Top 10 Most Expensive Cars Owned By Celebs: Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.