Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,724 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court (31272 Views)

Rodents Invasion: FG Budgeted N4.9bn For Environmental Services In Aso Rock / No More Environmental Sanitation In Lagos, Appeal Court Orders / Fulani kidnap Two Women in Enugu State & Court jail 76 search party. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by metromediaboss: 1:40pm On Nov 08, 2016
The Appeal Court in Lagos has nullified the monthly environmental sanitation in Lagos State, saying it is illegal and ordered the Lagos State Government not to restrict people’s movement on that day.

The court which delivered its judgment at the weekend banned the state government from further restricting anyone’s movement within Lagos State at any time or day whatsoever on the basis of environmental sanitation as there is no written law to that effect.

Justice Ugochukwu Ogakwu of the Court of Appeal, Lagos Division held that in the absence of a written law prescribing the same, the governor’s directive for people in Lagos State to stay at home and not to move about thereby restricting movement of persons in Lagos State within the hours of 7.00am to 10.00am on the last Saturday of every month was unlawful, illegal and unconstitutional.

The suit was brought before the court by a citizen, Faith Okafor (Appellant) against the Lagos State Government (Respondent).

The court restrained the Lagos State Government and its affiliates from further arresting the
anyone whatsoever on the basis of a purported environmental sanitation offence or trying anyone in the Special Offences Court without conforming to the dictates of the Constitution.

According to Justice Ogakwu, after due consideration of this appeal and the issues raised therein, “I have arrived at the inexorable conclusion that the appeal is meritorious. The same succeeds and is allowed by me. The Ruling of the lower court in Suit No. M/548/2013: FAITH OKAFOR vs. LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT & ANOR. delivered on 1st July 2014 is hereby set aside.

“In its stead and for good order sake, judgment is hereby entered for the Appellant against the Respondents in the following terms: It is hereby declared that the arrest and detention and transportation of the Appellant in the back of a vehicle which is of a metal cage with very little ventilation and light “Black Maria” by officials and/or agents of the 1st Respondent (KAI Brigade) on 25th May 2013 for a purported environmental sanitation offence violates the Appellant’s fundamental rights to respect for the dignity of her person, personal liberty and freedom of movement as provided under Sections 34, 35 and 41 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, as amended, and is therefore illegal and unconstitutional.”
Justice Ogakwu declared that the purported trial and conviction of the Appellant for a purported environmental sanitation offence violates the Appellant’s fundamental rights to fair hearing as provided under Section 36 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, as amended, and is therefore unlawful, illegal and unconstitutional.

The court further declared that in the absence of a written law prescribing the same, the 1st Respondent’s directive for people in Lagos State to stay at home and not to move about thereby restricting movement of persons in Lagos State within the hours of 7.00am to 10.00am on the last Saturday of every month is unlawful, illegal and unconstitutional.

4. The Respondents are hereby restrained from further restricting the Appellant’s or anyone’s movement within Lagos State at any time or day whatsoever on the basis of environmental sanitation without there being a written law prescribing the same.

“The Respondents are restrained from further arresting the Appellant or anyone whatsoever on the basis of a purported environmental sanitation offence or trying anyone in the Special Offences Court without conforming to the dictates of the Constitution. The Appellant is entitled to the costs of this appeal which I assess and fix at N100, 000.00,” he ruled.
-Kazeem Ugbodaga

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/11/08/no-more-environmental-sanitation-in-lagos-appeal-court-orders/

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by moshmusth(m): 1:52pm On Nov 08, 2016

The poster above me 'i leave you to God'

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by amuijiji: 1:56pm On Nov 08, 2016
I would say victory to the rule of Law but the Judge should ve considered the principle of Natural law of Africans being dirty nd abstained itself from Nullifying the only exercise I knew back then that brings Neighbors together for a common goal of keeping their environment clean...

Lagos street would soon be an eyesore...

39 Likes

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 08, 2016
The appeal court judge want to spoil egunje market for KAI and lagos state government.They made so much money from this illegality.In 2006 the former governor,bola tinubu used this environmental sanitation to extort money from people.His local government employeets would go about arresting people who flouted the last Saturday's sanitation stay at home order.If those arrested couldn't bribe #2k each to bail themselves,they would end up in a magistrate Court where the judge would pronounced them guilty at once and they would be taken to kirikiri prison where they would spend 1 month.

20 Likes

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by Beremx(f): 2:14pm On Nov 08, 2016
Next will be no restrictions of movement on election days. This has caused more harm than good in Nigeria.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by baby124: 2:17pm On Nov 08, 2016
If it's not a law and they want to exercise that right, they should make it a law

13 Likes

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by amuijiji: 2:20pm On Nov 08, 2016
UchaNwababa:
We Igbo have conquer Lagos State cos it is a no man's Land, Our next move is Kano State we will install our OBI in their Emir's Palace.

Ovuru eke..

Obere sense enwere cha-cha...

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 08, 2016
But where is lalasticlala sef....

Faith Okafor has done very well.....

Great decision, next is the right of all...Igbos and Hausas to hold governorship position in Lagos. And to make it mandatory for them to apply for such position.

Ambode has lost this one ...after losing special status request from Senate.

God is indeed great. grin

Next is to move KAI in inner streets to keep the environment clean.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 08, 2016
The appellant must be a very dirty woman.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by Izonpikin: 2:30pm On Nov 08, 2016
rule of law ti take over...this is how things should be..citizens suing the government over high handedness..

if i have taken care of my immediate environ before the last Saturday of the month should i then be tied back at home because of environ-madness sanitation instead of going about by business

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by UchaNwababa: 2:51pm On Nov 08, 2016
amuijiji:

Ovuru eke..
Obere sense enwere cha-cha...
Are U one of the Victim?
Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by 9jatriot(m): 2:57pm On Nov 08, 2016
I trust Lagos state house of assembly to make it a law before the next stated day of environmental. You non fit win government if they mean u, forget am

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by Benjom(m): 3:03pm On Nov 08, 2016
I reserve my comment until I experience the effect of the judgement.

Have your CV packaged by a professional with a midas touch who has helped others in their career growth:

www..com/cv-rewrite

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by merits(m): 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2016
Oh Good! mama putty go begin throw way shit at the back of my window again.

Too bad to live in lagos ghetto,

Baba God abeg pick my call.
Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by computer0810(m): 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2016
an igbo man sue the state govt, an igbo judge gave the verdict and the ipob are happy coz they believe they just conquer ambode coz lagos in no man's land but when he decided to go and demolish alaba nw they will start crying and shouting, just that those ipob who comment on nairaland are in there bush in the east and subject there bread winner to torture with there comment

27 Likes

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by agabusta: 3:08pm On Nov 08, 2016
interesting
Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by elitejosef: 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2016
UchaNwababa:
We Igbo have conquer Lagos State cos it is a no man's Land, Our next move is Kano State we will install our OBI in their Emir's Palace.

Receive more Sense

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by amuijiji: 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2016
merits:
A

A is for Amu..

1 Like

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by bibiking7(m): 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2016

Sounds like a bad idea.

3 Likes

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by TINALETC3(f): 3:11pm On Nov 08, 2016
Kama waiting 4 dose dat wl com out on d last Saturday of dis month grin
Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by jstbeinhonest(m): 3:11pm On Nov 08, 2016
Funny how some people carry lagos matter for head like gala. I dont understand how one can manage to twist every news to tribal banters.

6 Likes

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by ahahnow: 3:11pm On Nov 08, 2016
Nigerians are always trying to run away from work. we are just too lazy. they dont want to clean their houses. i am ashamed. we are such dirty people embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by tammie24: 3:12pm On Nov 08, 2016
Just one day in a whole month

1 Like

Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by tammie24: 3:12pm On Nov 08, 2016
I hope this does cause Lagos to be as dirty as onisha
Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by Lanre4uonly(m): 3:12pm On Nov 08, 2016
Some people are just naturally dirty to the extent that they're not ready to clean their environment or keep a good hygiene unless they're forced to do so. With this judgement, it is now an avenue for such people to mess up the environment to a large extent.
Re: No More Environmental Sanitations In Lagos State- Court by UjSizzle(f): 3:12pm On Nov 08, 2016
UchaNwababa:
Iji ahu? undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Trump To Sell Attack Planes To Nigeria For Boko Haram Fight / Chibok Schoolgirls Read Letter To Trump (see Photos) / APC Rules Out Statutory Delegates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.