Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,881 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria (85586 Views)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In The North / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Clash At Traditional Rulers’ Council Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by freemanbubble: 8:57pm On Nov 10, 2016
Oba of Benin is the highest. All other traditional rulers in 9ja knows that.
Agha se oghe edo, edo ore odion. Edo gha vbe se oghe ovban edo ore odion.
This translates to: when you pay a visit to bini or the binis pay you a visit. The binis would be seen as senior and as a result the binis are always requested to lead the prayers. If you doubt just ask any of your elderly ones at home,
the oba of Benin will never his leave his kingdom to gallivant like ooni and emir.
Some people just choose to be stupid in life even when things are obvious.
The ooni was in benin during oba of Benin coronation and the oba say it to his face that it was our son bannished from edo that went to ife. The ooni was dumb founded. Now the ooni has learnt the truth and he has accepted but his followers will never learn. Even the emir of kano and sultan of sokoto sent a representative to represent them at that coronation.
Our oba will never leave his kingdom to visit ooni or any emir or sultan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by bantudra: 8:57pm On Nov 10, 2016
ceejay4real:

OP, you must be a joker. For your info, the Muslims in Nigeria are not up to 70 million. Quote me anywhere! Secondly, no traditional ruler in this country is powerful cos we are not a monarchy neither are we a theocracy. They're merely ceremonial cos they can be removed from office by the government of the day at anytime. They are merely used by people in government as vessels of deceit, suppression and oppression of the poor masses. So your thread is meaningless and in bad faith. Why don't you look for a more meaningful topic to open a thread on? You are a tribal bigot looking for ways to throw up ethnic rancour on this forum. Nonsense!

he is doing a abomination

we dont question..
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Tafari1(m): 8:57pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ọmọ àlè jati jati ni OP yí... How can this idiot compare Aláàfin to Ọba of Bini? Or even Ọ́ọnirisa to Ọba Bini. Useless idiot undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AkinPhysicist: 8:58pm On Nov 10, 2016
Theoritical:
Seems Op smoked chicha' Oba of benin remains undoubtedly the most powerful king in Nigeria.. Others got their thrones through poltical influenced.

grin absolute rubbish - don't make me laugh here grin

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Girlbestfriend(f): 8:58pm On Nov 10, 2016
eponoloyin:
oba of benin is junior to Ooni.
Ooni should be number 2 and the benin guy no 5
I studied history and this ur claim doesn't hold water, or are u trying to be foolish?..the Oba of Benin is higher than all thrones from the west.....that throne is hereditary.......

4 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by TVTKOKO(m): 8:58pm On Nov 10, 2016
Godprotectigbos:

DONT MIND those ofonjas....it was recently on nairaland dat i heard of ooni.... they are jubilation because Obi of onitsha is not on the list
everything mustn't be tribalism na.. This is just a fact to set the records straight. The ooni is second to none in the south. This is the fact, devoid of sentiments

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by jolomiurenyi(m): 8:59pm On Nov 10, 2016
fratermathy:

Stop this Olu of Warri BS. His kingdom is too small, he is not influential and the only thing he has is the history behind the Itsekiri monarchy. As far as Nigeria is concerned, Olu of Warri is not among top 10, maybe he may make top 20.

If he is not among, should I come here to say things that are uncalled for.
You can make research or make enquiries if you care.

When you are through with your findings, let me know, because I'm all here for you, I mean no arguement but I've proof.
The itsekiris of Warri Kingdom are small but mighty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 8:59pm On Nov 10, 2016

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by kcnwaigbo: 8:59pm On Nov 10, 2016
orimsamsam:
lolzm and how is the obi of Onitsha powerful than. The sultan of sokoto. And wht exactly is the the influence nof oba of Benin in South West. Don't just talk with emotion becos obi of Onitsha didn't make the list
He is right. Each of these kings are only powerful in their region. The obi of Onitsha is much more powerful than the sultan of sokoto in the south east just like the oba of Benin is more powerful than the ooni of Ife in Benin!! Each man is only powerful in his own domain

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by dominion001(m): 8:59pm On Nov 10, 2016
Una go just leave better thing wey go help person dey type rubish for nairaland
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AkinPhysicist: 9:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
francisduru:
God is King of all kings..... Take it or leave it

grin Which God? The Muslim one? Or the Xtian one? Or the one of our forefathers? grin
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by marshborn(m): 9:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
We igbos should stop deceiving ourselves, the one man monarchy system was never our culture. All our monarchs no get mouth. Who dem help? undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by bantudra: 9:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
Eastactivist:

Guy shut up, in igbo land, Obi of Onitsha is more powerful than even sultan of sokoto let alone your ooni that is second to oba of Benin...

Southwest traditiona is influenced by Benins, go and read your history

i tut kanu was the most powerfull for you guys over their in the east..??.. undecided undecided..
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by slurryeye: 9:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
Godprotectigbos:

i will rather be stupid than to be a ritual or rapist

Well no ritual scandal is as terrible as Okija Shrine in Nigeria history

http://www.elombah.com/index.php/opinion/38-the-okija-shrine-phenomenon-a-must-read

And don't forget about rape cases in Enugu and other Alaigbo states

Enugu Records 472 Rape Cases in Two Years as Father Defiles Three Children

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/21/enugu-records-472-rape-cases-in-two-years-as-father-defiles-three-children/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by eponoloyin: 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
Girlbestfriend:
I studied history and this ur claim doesn't hold water, or are u trying to be foolish?..the Oba of Benin is higher than all thrones from the west.....that throne is hereditary.......

hope you ain't a werey?
the oba of benin is junior to even Alake of egbaland. that small benin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by kcnwaigbo: 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
TVTKOKO:
everything mustn't be tribalism na.. This is just a fact to set the records straight. The ooni is second to none in the south. This is the fact, devoid of sentiments
The ooni is only influential in the SW.He is not more influential than the oba of Benin or obi of Onitsha in their own domains

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Girlbestfriend(f): 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
freemanbubble:
Oba of Benin is the highest. All other traditional rulers in 9ja knows that.
Agha se oghe edo, edo ore odion. Edo gha vbe se oghe ovban edo ore odion.
This translates to: when you pay a visit to bini or the binis pay you a visit. The binis would be seen as senior and as a result the binis are always requested to lead the prayers. If you doubt just ask any of your elderly ones at home,
the oba of Benin will never his kingdom to gallivant like ooni and emir
are you for real? you guys should stop showing urself
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by donphilopus: 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
ajokebelle:

Can't you pass your message without an iota of insult?
Clearly shows you are the one that needs to reason well when trying to pass a message, shows you neglected your home training, or lack how to address people.

Besides if its really about the stool alone then the Oni should be second as some one pointed out earlier.

Did you need to be told before knowing that the OP was solely talking about the stool? Who talks about the occupant of a seat when the stool is there? Had it been the OP was talking about the occupants, the Emir should have topped his list. You didn't even need to see people's reaction for you to know the OP was referring to the stool.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AkinPhysicist: 9:02pm On Nov 10, 2016
eponoloyin:
oba of benin is junior to Ooni.
Ooni should be number 2 and the benin guy no 5

cool number 2? - God forbid bad thing. Ooni is number 1 - any day any time. cool

5 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by bantudra: 9:04pm On Nov 10, 2016
donphilopus:

Did you need to be told before knowing that the OP was solely talking about the stool? Who talks about the occupant of a seat when the stool is there? Had it been the OP was talking about the occupants, the Emir should have topped his list. You didn't even need to see people's reaction for you to know the OP is referring to the stool.

whatttttttt?..are you trying to speak chinese or wahhht

mi mo gbe chinisi ohhhh...slowly...repeat that again...
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by TVTKOKO(m): 9:04pm On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

The ooni is only influential in the SW.He is not more influential than the oba of Benin or obi of Onitsha in their own domains
You're right bro,, but on the national stage, the ooni of ife has no rivalry.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eziokwu1: 9:04pm On Nov 10, 2016
Tosinayoko:
Sultan and Emir are religious leaders not Traditional leaders.... Is Islam the tradition of the Northerners?

Yup.
Islam is now the tradition of Hausas. They have all lost their original customs.

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by joelmacaulay: 9:05pm On Nov 10, 2016
ooni should be second, sanusi should third then alaagin follow before oba of Benin

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Hash86(m): 9:05pm On Nov 10, 2016
Where are the Kings of the igbos? Oh I remember, they don't use to have kingdoms, na only villages and clans they used to have. grin grin tongue tongue
It was when the onyinbus arrived, them come know wetin KING and Queen means
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Ademascot: 9:06pm On Nov 10, 2016
Powerful ko, influential ni...!!!

Emir of Gwandu is more powerful than emir or Kano

this bloggers sef...

me juz dey pass ooo!
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 9:06pm On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

He is right. Each of these kings are only powerful in their region. The obi of Onitsha is much more powerful than the sultan of sokoto in the south east just like the oba of Benin is more powerful than the ooni of Ife in Benin!! Each man is only powerful in his own domain
I quite agree with u that each King is powerful in is own area. But if we won't deceive yourself, some King are much more influencia than the other

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by clevadani: 9:06pm On Nov 10, 2016
This list makes virtually no sense to me
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AkinPhysicist: 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2016
Eastactivist:

Guy shut up, in igbo land, Obi of Onitsha is more powerful than even sultan of sokoto let alone your ooni that is second to oba of Benin...

Southwest traditiona is influenced by Benins, go and read your history

grin what is this one saying? grin

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by grandstar(m): 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

Lolz in your mind your inconsequential alaafin of Oyo is more powerful than the obi of Onitsha!!

You forget by nature the igbo have no king. And Onitsha people don't even see themselves as Igbo anyway.

It is not natural for the igbo to reverence a king

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ajokebelle(f): 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2016
donphilopus:

Did you need to be told before knowing that the OP was solely talking about the stool? Who talks about the occupant of a seat when the stool is there? Had it been the OP was talking about the occupants, the Emir should have topped his list. You didn't even need to see people's reaction for you to know the OP is referring to the stool.
If it were solely about the stool, the Oni would have been the second.

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2016
[b]Seun, on a disturbing note I think you should take down this thread with the fact that no traditional ruler is powerful in Nigeria but in some section of the country where his influence lies.

My reasons.
1. A traditional ruler suppose to be a ruler responsible to handle the affairs of a particular group of people (mainly ethnicity) bounded with the same tradition or cultural belief.

Now we have different traditions and cultures of different ethnicities in Nigeria and a traditional ruler of any ethnicity can not exercise his right outside his territory which he influences.

2. If we go by powerful with criteria of popularity and wealth, I think a traditional ruler cannot bypass his region and have influence in another region. He can only by being popular, by history and amount of wealth be the most powerful of that particular region.

An emir in kano cannot leave his state or region and dictate for a community in calabar no matter how highly placed and vice versa.
With this fact how then can you now tell a Nigerian who has no link or relationship or tradition or culture that so so person is the most powerful tradition ruler while the so called person has no influence on him or her except from his or her direct traditional ruler in his village ..

I there by reiterate that This thread is an insult to the collective intelligence of Nigerians, please how can you impose a ruler on a people without asking for their opinion? this is uncalled for and barbaric, this mistake can only achieve only one thing which is to add more ethnic tensions in our polity and cause avoidable ethnic psychological anomaly. I therefore call on you in your wisdom to use your office to do justice to this thread and justice for Nigerians.

Let us in our doings respect the diversity of Nigeria only then can we understand and cooperate better. [/b]

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ahms12(m): 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ovokoo:

That's a personal opinion. The people ahead of the Ooni deserve to be there. We all know there's no traditional ruler as powerful as the Sultan as he also doubles as the head of the Muslim community in Nigeria. The Emir is also very powerful in the north and is highly revered throughout the country. The Oba of benin is arguable the most powerful traditional ruler in the south and then the Ooni before the Alaafin. We're all entitled to our opinions anyways.
..inside the co-chairman of traditional ruler & head of Muslim which most is more valuable. who even if know emir sanusi in the mist of Alafin and Ooni. sanusi nah pikin for their side.assuming you mention sultan or even the late emir .I for say you get point.my guy you no get point

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State / LILO OGUN IBILE FUN ITOJU,IWOSAN ATI ASEYORI / Oba Of Benin, Ewuaere, Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce And Private Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.