Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,505 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:46 PM

The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria (85197 Views)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In The North / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Clash At Traditional Rulers’ Council Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by jolomiurenyi(m): 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2016
fratermathy:

Who know Olu of Warri?
He's not even the most recognised in Delta State, talk more of Nigeria.
He's respected only by Itseke people in the riverine areas of Warri. Can the Olu talk when Oba of Benin de talk? Can he cough when Orodje of Okpe is talking?

Una too de find relevance jor.

I'm not here to argue, in Delta state the number one King is the OLU OF WARRI and you know that.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by seunlly(m): 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2016
Did that reduce the level of poverty in Nigeria
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:09pm On Nov 10, 2016
Powerful in their locality, the so called powerful kings should come to my domain and dictate to my people, within the space of five minutes we will separate their head from their neck Ndi ara

These are kings I respect in my domain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ianSweet(f): 9:09pm On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:
The alaafin of oyo should not be in that list.Furthermore the obi of Onitsha should be included!!

The only traditional ruler in that list whose influence extends beyond his region is the sultan of sokoto who also doubles as the leader of Nigerian Muslims. Other could be classified based on their sphere of influence in their geopolitical zones

Se-obi of Onitsha
Sw-ooni of Ife
Ss-oba of Benin
Nc-atta of igala
Nw-sultan of sokoto
Ne-?

Northeast should be Shehu of Borno or Aku Uka of Wukari.

Besides, why do u think in the north-central that the Attah of Igala is more infleintial that the Tor Tiv, Etsu Nupe or Gbon gwom Jos?
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 10, 2016
AKYEMITE:
Ooni is second in Nigeria, he is the co-chairman with sultern of sokoto the president of traditional rulers in Nigeria. get your fact straight. not even the vice chairman, but co-chairman, they are on the same level

why is he 2nd when he is the co-chairman. two of them are supposed to be on the same spot. grin
AKYEMITE:
Ooni is second in Nigeria, he is the co-chairman with sultern of sokoto the president of traditional rulers in Nigeria. get your fact straight. not even the vice chairman, but co-chairman, they are on the same level

why is he 2nd when he is the co-chairman. two of them are supposed to be on the same spot.

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ybalogs(m): 9:10pm On Nov 10, 2016
It's a matter of opinion jooor. It's just that virtually everybody has agreed Sultan of sokoto is Number 1 ,all others are number 2.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AkinPhysicist: 9:12pm On Nov 10, 2016
freemanbubble:
Oba of Benin is the highest. All other traditional rulers in 9ja knows that.
Agha se oghe edo, edo ore odion. Edo gha vbe se oghe ovban edo ore odion.
This translates to: when you pay a visit to bini or the binis pay you a visit. The binis would be seen as senior and as a result the binis are always requested to lead the prayers. If you doubt just ask any of your elderly ones at home,
the oba of Benin will never his leave his kingdom to gallivant like ooni and emir

grin grin grin Please - you must be a comedian. Don't be silly. Benin? Common - that village? grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by osusuallstars: 9:14pm On Nov 10, 2016
mr poster. what are your source, anyway thats your opinion. i reserved mine
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50934340:

Silly Afonja blogger
always talking with with emotion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Girlbestfriend(f): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2016
eponoloyin:

hope you ain't a werey?
the oba of benin is junior to even Alake of egbaland. that small benin
just go study your history....it just shows u are bittered.

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Mayor101010(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2016
Oba of Benin is not on the same level with ooni.
freemanbubble:
This translates to: when you pay a visit to bini or the binis pay you a visit. The binis would be seen as senior and as a result the binis are always requested to lead the prayers. If you doubt just ask any of your elderly ones at home,
the oba of Benin will never his leave his kingdom to gallivant like ooni and emir

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ocshap: 9:17pm On Nov 10, 2016
shamecurls:
Obi of Onitsha should be in that list grin grin grin

my brother Obi of Onitsha isn't respected even in Onitsha talk more of igboland the way this guy's are honoured in their areas.....
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AkinPhysicist: 9:17pm On Nov 10, 2016
joelmacaulay:
ooni should be second, sanusi should third then alaagin follow before oba of Benin

cool Absolute rubbish. Ooni is second to NONE. What are you smoking? Alaafin is second ONLY to Ooni. Don't be silly. cool

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 9:17pm On Nov 10, 2016
Godprotectigbos:

DONT MIND those ofonjas....it was recently on nairaland dat i heard of ooni.... [size=15pt]they are jubilation[/size] because Obi of onitsha is not on the list
ABA made English
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2016
bantudra:

i tut kanu was the most powerfull for you guys over their in the east..??.. undecided undecided..

I thought you have sense...

Is Kanu now a traditional ruler?
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by QuietHammer(m): 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2016
francisduru:
God is King of all kings...... Take it or leave it
We know. Leave God out of this. This ranking is for men alone.

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Adebanjids1(m): 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ovokoo:
Here is a list of the 5 most powerful traditional rulers in Nigeria.

http://ovoko.com.ng/5-powerful-traditional-rulers-nigeria/

5. Alaafin of Oyo

The Alaafin or Oyo is the traditional ruler of Oyo town in present day Oyo state. He is also influential beyond the borders of Oyo and is a close rival of the Ooni of Ife. The current Alaafin is Lamidi Adeyemi III.

4. Ooni of Ife

Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Ojaja II was crowned the Ooni of Ife in December 2015 when he succeeded the late Ooni of ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade to become the 51st Ooni of Ife. He is the most powerful and influential traditional ruler in Yorubaland.

3. Oba of Benin

The Oba of Benin, or Omo N’Oba is the most influential traditional ruler in southern Nigeria. He is the traditional ruler of the Benin empire. The current traditional ruler who is the 40th Oba of Benin is 40th Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare I who was crowned in October 2016.

2. Emir of Kano

Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II who was the governor of Nigeria’s central bank became the Emir of Kano in 2014 where he succeed Ado Bayero. The Emirship in Kano is a highly respected one not just in the North but also in the political circles throughout Nigeria.

1. Sultan of Sokoto

The sultan of sokoto is the most powerful and influential traditional ruler in Nigeria. He is also the spiritual leader of more than 70 million Muslims in Nigeria and is revered by the Hausa/Fulani people in Northern Nigeria.

Source: http://ovoko.com.ng/5-powerful-traditional-rulers-nigeria/

Children should not read diz oooo its no fact just d writer's opinion...

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2016
OBI OF ONITSHA

[b]PROFILE
In him, science and tradition intersect to serve both humanity and culture. When a Master's degree in Business Administration from the famous Columbia University in New York City, USA, is tossed into this unique mix, a guru, push­ing a powerful modernist, socio-cultural message emerges - in an environment defined by a puz­zling crisis of faith.
Meet HRM Igwe Nnayelugo Alfred Nnae­meka Achebe, CFR, mni, the 21st Obi of Onitsha, in Anambra State, South-Eastern Nigeria. HRM Obi Nnaemeka Achebe, was born on May 14, 1941. He is the first child of Akunne Anthony Chinwuba, and Chukwuebuka Winifred Ogbe­nyeanu Achebe. He is a direct and unblemished descendant of Ezearoli, through the lineage of Chimedie, Oreze Obi, and Aguzani.
Every important life mission needs specific preparation. For Igwe Obi, this was an impera­tive. With excellent results from his primary and secondary schools, he gained admission in 1963 to Stanford University in California, US, where he earned a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry. This was followed with a Master's degree in Business Ad­ministration from Columbia University in New York City, also in US.
It was a major step-up is his educational at­tainment when he was nominated in 1979, to the maiden set of the Senior Executive Course of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies in Kuru, Jos, Plateau State, targeted at developing high-level leadership in the public and private sectors in Nigeria.
After a brief working stint in the US, during the Nigeria-Biafra war, lgwe Achebe returned to Nigeria in 1972 to begin a long career with Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria. Over a period of 30 years, he held positions in several strategic functions, including Human Re­sources, Operations, External Relations, General Management and international Representation/Reputation Management.
On reaching the normal retirement age of 55 years in 1996, the company requested him to continue to provide his invaluable experience and expertise to the organisation by a special arrange­ment. He was transferred to Shell International in London, where he effectively acted as "ambas­sador at large" for Shell Nigeria with the title of Senior Corporate Adviser until his coronation as Obi of Onitsha. He is also the Chairman of Dia­mond Bank Plc[/b].

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AkinPhysicist: 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2016
ajokebelle:

If it were solely about the stool, the Oni would have been the second.

Don't be silly Ajoke. How can the Ooni be second to a wandering Fulani. Ooni is 2nd to no one. After Ooni is Alaafin.

5 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Mayor101010(m): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50934556:
Powerful in their locality, the so called powerful kings should come to my domain and dictate to my people, within the space of five minutes we will separate their head from their neck Ndi ara

Oonirisa and Oba bini commands respect everywhere they go and that includes ur landlocked region...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 9:21pm On Nov 10, 2016
orimsamsam:
lolzm and how is the obi of Onitsha powerful than The sultan of sokoto. And wht exactly is the the influence nof oba of Benin in South West. Don't just talk with emotion becos obi of Onitsha didn't make the list

Please Why shouldn't Obi of Onitsha make the list....

What influence does the traditional ruler mentioned above have on other ethnicities apart from their ethnic group they belong to...

Like I said before. Obi of Onitsha will command more respect in Igboland than sultan of sokoto in Igboland

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Mayor101010(m): 9:21pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50934556:

Oonirisa and Oba bini commands respect everywhere they go and that includes ur landlock region...

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:22pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mayor101010:
[s]Oonirisa and Oba bini commands respect everywhere they go and that includes ur landlocked region..[/s].
Anu, Benin village you called city you want to compare to Onitsha kingdom

5 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:29pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mayor101010:
Oonirisa and Oba bini commands respect everywhere they go and that includes ur landlock region...
My land lock state is far better than the backward enclave you came from

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 9:30pm On Nov 10, 2016
freemanbubble:
the oba of Benin will never his leave his kingdom to gallivant like ooni and emir.
Some people just choose to be stupid in life even when things are obvious.
The ooni was in benin during oba of Benin coronation and the oba say it to his face that it was our son bannished from edo that went to ife. The ooni was dumb founded. Even the emir of kano and sultan of sokoto sent a representative to represent them at that coronation.
Our oba will never leave his kingdom to visit ooni or any emir or sultan.
just becos ur King has been confirmed to his palace doesn't mean other King can't move around.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by helpishere(m): 9:31pm On Nov 10, 2016
The number one King in Nigeria is the oba of Benin. Any other is on his own. In the Bible, the children of Israel had kings like the sultan and ooni but the kingdom of Judah had kings like the oba of Benin . The obaship is inherited while the others are by selection.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 9:36pm On Nov 10, 2016
lol....all these Igbo chiefs in skirt and trainers making me laugh like....... grin cheesy
Kingship is not natural to Igbos. So Obi of Onitsha phenomenon had to have come from other neighboring influences.
Either the Oba of Benin, or Onu Igala. Which means Obi Onitsha and other Anioma Obis are inferior to one of both.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:37pm On Nov 10, 2016
helpishere:
The number one King in Nigeria is the oba of Benin. Any other is on his own. In the Bible, the children of Israel had kings like the sultan and ooni but the kingdom of Judah had kings like the oba of Benin . The obaship is inherited while the others are by selection.
Who made him number one king in Nigeria and which chapter of Nigeria constitution recognizances the so called powerful kings and what's their achievements in their poor localities

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 9:39pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50935012:

My land lock state is far better than the backward enclave you came from
this guyz are very good in snapping picture. Little argument u see dem running about to post pictures. Continue

4 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by donphilopus: 9:39pm On Nov 10, 2016
ajokebelle:

If it were solely about the stool, the Oni would have been the second.

I can't say though because of the supremacy battle here and there. Some people say the Ooni is ahead of the Oba while some people believe the Oba is ahead of the Ooni. Sometimes, the Alaafin even battles with the Ooni. So I can't just say.

I always watch from behind whenever they are battling for supremacy because I'm neither Yoruba nor Benin.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by elotajohn1(m): 9:40pm On Nov 10, 2016
mcocolok:

No be only Obi of onitsha , na Mikel Obi

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by KingOvoramwen1(m): 9:44pm On Nov 10, 2016
freemanbubble:
the oba of Benin will never his leave his kingdom to gallivant like ooni and emir.
Some people just choose to be stupid in life even when things are obvious.
The ooni was in benin during oba of Benin coronation and the oba say it to his face that it was our son bannished from edo that went to ife. The ooni was dumb founded. Even the emir of kano and sultan of sokoto sent a representative to represent them at that coronation.
Our oba will never leave his kingdom to visit ooni or any emir or sultan.

otemwen utase grin grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Alaafin Adeyemi And His New Wife, Chioma (Photo) / LILO OGUN IBILE FUN ITOJU,IWOSAN ATI ASEYORI / Oba Of Benin, Ewuaere, Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce And Private Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.