Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria approved by NUC - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria approved by NUC (2618 Views)

List Of Illegal Universities Closed Down By NUC- July 2019 / Names Of 58 Illegal Universities In Nigeria Released By NUC - Full List / List Of Universities In Nigeria Approved By NUC, 2017 Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria approved by NUC by paulmario(m): 4:53pm On Nov 09, 2016
There is a high demand in the education sector of Nigeria and this has prompted the well-meaning initiatives of some VCs of Nigeria Universities to adopt an open and distance learning programme. Although we have just very few distance learning universities in Nigeria, but this few are very credible and their degree certificates are very well recognised everywhere in Nigeria.

For the record sake, let me reaffirm, the National Universities Commission is the authority with the responsibility of accrediting universities in Nigeria and likewise stipulating measures for them to follow if they actually wish to be among the list of the universities with distance learning. It will not be a surprise to you, if you find out after reading this post, that your most preferred university is not actually among the Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria. Let this not deter you from making your move towards furthering your education.

I wish to say that I am not listing these universities out of bias but based on the information I have at hand while writing this post, nonetheless, any needed update in the list shall be duly applied. So let us look at the list of Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria.

University of Ibadan
Universities with distance learning

The premiere university, as it is fondly called is the nation’s pride when it comes to academic excellence and technological advancement. The University of Ibadan, being one of the most prominent universities in Nigeria, tops the list of the Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria. This is not a surprise since they are well known for moving their great initiative towards academic excellence. It is the first University in Nigeria. They have a very well functional distance learning centre and I think the University of Ibadan is one of those Universities any Nigerian can dream of attending. This being said, take your time and consider whether you can join their programme.

The University of Ibadan was established some 67 years back, the University of Ibadan, UI as it is fondly referred to, is the first University in Nigeria. Until 1962 when it turned into an undeniable autonomous University, it was a College of the University of London in a unique relationship plan.

The University, which brought off with scholarly projects in Arts, Science and Medicine, is currently an extensive stronghold of learning with academic projects in thirteen Faculties and it also has other academic units.

As a way of building quality human resources and enhancing academic excellence, the university has been in the forefront of major educational establishments in the nation, one of which is the current Research Foundation (UIRF) and a new school of business (UISB) that is expected to take off towards the tail-end of the year 2016. Part of their endeavour to expanding the frontiers of knowledge is very well manifest in the distance education they have.

Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife
Distance education

Another vibrant Institute among these Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria is the Obafemi University, Ile Ife has shown great historical strength in various fields of academic proficiency, and this is seen in the various programmes they have developed to facilitate academic excellence.

The Obafemi Awolowo University is an extensive public institution instituted in 1962 as The University of Ife. The University located in Ile-Ife, Osun State, south-west of Nigeria.

In the 1970's and the mid-1980's, the University achieved the first position among universities in Africa, with a lively academic and social climate and a great worldwide repute. These days, the University has distinguished herself for her rich tradition of excellence having produced, from among its staff, a Nobel Laureate and four National Merit Award holders.

University of Lagos Akoka

This must surely be among the universities with Distance Learning Centres in Nigeria. Why do I say so? It is, of course, a well-known fact that Lagos state has quite an enormous number of working class who rarely have time for their home let alone coming to sit in class to receive lectures. I think it is because of places like Lagos that this distance learning initiative is best suited, and so it is a great initiative for the University of Lagos to make the list of Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria.

Established in 1962, the University of Lagos has, for more than 5 decades, given qualitative and research-focused learning to Nigerians and every one of the individuals who has entered its sphere in pursuit of knowledge. At its inauguration, the University of Lagos was commissioned to create an expert workforce that would direct the political, social and economic advancement of a recently independent nation. Throughout the past fifty years, the University has sought after this mission with dynamism, brilliance and flamboyant confidence. The University has established a legacy of scholarly magnificence and is presently acclaimed freely as "the University of First Choice and the Nation's Pride."

I cannot say much about this university, I believe experience can speak better. It is among the nation’s top best universities and I think it is most ad rem for them to take the initiative and enlist themselves among the universities with distance learning (which they did).

University of Maiduguri
Universities with distance education

The university of Maiduguri also makes the list of universities with distance learning centres in Nigeria. It is no surprise, knowing the great academic strides they have reached in the recent past.

The University of Maiduguri took off in April 1976 by acquiring the facilities of the North-east College of Arts and Sciences (NECAS) when the College commissioned by the Federal Government. The NorthEast school of Arts and Science was built up as a post-secondary institute for the preparation of students who already have secondary education for entrance into Degree programs in Nigeria University following two years of Advance (A) Level work. The school commenced in 1976 with Late Alhaji Hamidu Alkali as its first principal. The offices, for example, research laboratory, lecture auditoria, library, office blocks, staff and other supporting administrations assumed control from the NECAS formed the core of the University and made it feasible for it to initiate degree programs for the first academic session in three faculties, in particular Arts and Education, Social Sciences and Law, and Sciences on 28th, October that year.

Since then they have shown great academic prowess and competency, currently making the list of universities with distance learning.

Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola

Universities with distance education

Another university making the list of Universities with Distance Learning Centers is the great Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola. As a college of technology, I will only be disappointed if they don’t make the list of universities with distance learning - a trending technological innovation.

The modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola. Formally called the Federal University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa state Nigeria was set up in 1981 by the Federal Government of Nigeria to give the truly necessary technologically trained manpower for the country. It is one of the Federal Universities commissioned by National Universities Commission (NUC) to offer Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate degrees in various areas of Science and Technology.

Due to some necessities, the university was merged with University of Maiduguri in the year 1984, when it turned into the Modibbo Adama Campus (MACUM), of University of Maiduguri. Be that as it may, another circumstance resulted in the separation of the university and was granted independence of its own with the name reverted to Federal University of Technology, Yola. This change of the University’s name to Modibbo Adama University of Technology, (MAUTECH) was later approved by the then President of Nigeria, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, in the year 2011.

The University, from the look of things, judging from the time they got their autonomy is very much young, but they still make the list of Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria.

University of Nigeria Abuja

Just like Lagos, Abuja is also one of the places to have, not just one, but universities with distance learning. Being the Capital city, one can simply assume it to be among the leading universities with distance learning. Let me also say briefly about this University.

The University took off from a temporal site, made up of three pieces of building intended for a primary school in Gwagwalada, now labelled the "mini - campus". Academic exercises began in the mini - campus in 1990. Around the same time, the University was apportioned a territory of an area covering more than 11,800 hectares along the Abuja - Abuja road for the improvement of its main campus.

Among the milestones in the campus consist of the Senate Chamber, the Science Laboratories, Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Management Sciences, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Social Sciences, School of Remedial Studies and the Institute of Education. The university Medical Centre which has been equipped with up-to-date health facilities and prominent staff can't be overlooked. The grounds has various recreational offices including an Olympic size football field, a volleyball pitch and a long tennis court.

They have many other things I should have said but let me just stop here. This is one of the outstanding Nation’s universities, I know why I said so because it is actually at the heart of the nation – the capital centre, and so I see it as a great move from the administrators of the university to see that they are among the Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria.

Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso

This is one of the universities that had great challenges in its infant days. Really making the list of universities with distance learning is a great stride and awesome initiative since, like the University of Ibadan, it is also located in an area where we experience people with great zeal for quality education. Maybe you have not heard of this university or little has been said about them in your area; let me take few lines to tell you something about them.

The origination of the University started in 1987 when Governor Adetunji Olurin, the then Military Governor of Oyo State, reacting to a letter from the Governing Council of the Polytechnic Ibadan set up a seven-member interministerial team, whose presiding officer happened to be Mrs Oyinkan Ayoola

He likewise declared on second May 1990 the Appointment of Professor Olusegun Ladimeji Oke, a recognised Chemist and a Fellow of Academy of Science (FAS) as the first Vice-Chancellor of the University. On thirteenth March 1990, the Federal Military Government had acquiesced to the State's solicitation to set up the new University. The Committee presented its report in 1988 and suggested the foundation of a State University.

The foundation of the College of Health Sciences was put off for a year and later produced results in October 1991 with a student population of thirty. Emerging from the formation of Osun State from the previous Oyo State, the name of the University was changed from the Oyo State University of Technology to Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso and the Decree that built up the University was accurately revised.

Ahmadu Bello University Zaria

As Nigeria drew closer to independence on October 1, 1960, it had just a single university: the University of Ibadan, set up in 1948. The important Ashby Commission report (presented a month prior to independence) prescribed including new universities in each of Nigeria's then-three districts, and also the capital, Lagos.

Indeed, even before the Commission report, nonetheless, the regional governments had started arranging colleges. In May 1960, the Northern Region had elevated the School of Arabic Studies in Kano to come to be the Ahmadu Bello College for Arabic and Islamic Studies. (The school was named after the area's predominant political pioneer, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello).

The Ashby Commission report proposals gave another driving force and course, and it was eventually chosen to make the University of Northern Nigeria at Zaria (as opposed to Kano). The university would assume control over the offices of the Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology at Samaru simply outside Zaria, and would join the Ahmadu Bello College in Kano, the Agricultural Research Institute at Samaru, the Institute of Administration at Zaria, and the Veterinary Research Institute at Vom on the Jos Plateau. The law setting up the new university was passed by the Northern Region assembly in 1961. It was chosen to name the university after Ahmadu Bello, and the Kano school then took the name of Abdullahi Bayero, a past Emir of Kano.

It is a great relieve to so many people to have this university as one of the Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria, this time, around, not just the distance and time constraint but also security reason. I think it is most beneficial to have such establishment in this security-threatened zones.

the information here, as i have earlier indicated are all based on the list given by the National University Commission (NUC), and all credible at this moment I'm writing the post.

If you need further resource information about online learning, tips and strategies you can visit www.distancelearningng.com

Re: Distance Learning Universities in Nigeria approved by NUC by Prevho: 2:29pm On Jun 24, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Check Out JAMB Subject Combinations For All Courses In Nigerian Universities / 10 Ways Corpers Ruin Their Lives During NYSC( # 8 Is The Most DANGEROUS) / 15 Courses That May No Longer Be Studied In Polytechnics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.