Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? (17848 Views)

White People Dress As Blacks And Carry Nigerian Flag For Halloween (Pic) / Over 200,000 Lagosians Gathered To Celebrate 2014 Lagos Countdown (photos) / My Message To Nigerians As We Celebrate Independence In The Next Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by kosovo(m): 1:00pm On Nov 01, 2009
@Gamine
Big lie.
mMm . . . you seem to always know who lies and who does not lie . .
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Gamine(f): 1:03pm On Nov 01, 2009
Now you my friend, just lied cheesy
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by posakosa(m): 2:04pm On Nov 01, 2009
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by nedu2000(m): 2:18pm On Nov 01, 2009
Our witches,zombies & rituals r nt helping us,so y should we celebrate 'em?i bind & destroy 'em
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Gamine(f): 3:11pm On Nov 01, 2009
nedu2000:

Our witches,zombies & rituals r nt helping us,so y should we celebrate 'em?i bind & destroy 'em
LMAO. grin

posakosa:

For Gamine:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/saturday-halloween-causes-surge-at-retailers/

pointless.

undecided and that proves Halloween is bigger than Christmas??. .smh

Even i know the line i had to get in just to get a halloween costume
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Enjoyment1(f): 3:46pm On Nov 01, 2009
Who told you we dont celebrate it hear in Africa? Have you been to Nigerian villages, and their thick forests to be precise at about 1am to 4am each day grin grin grin?, please take this topic to Withcraftcy section of Nairaland. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by donjon: 4:05pm On Nov 01, 2009
Our witches & wizards dont have to wait 4 november b4 flexing their muscles! Itz an evri day thing here
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by posakosa(m): 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2009
donjon:

Our witches & wizards dont have to wait 4 november b4 flexing their muscles! Itz an evri day thing here

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 4:50pm On Nov 01, 2009
Guy, if you want to celebrate witchcraft you can go ahead. There are more pressing issues in nigeria that needs to be sorted out.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2009
halloween kinda represents evil.
and you KNOW africans dont play with witches and demons and devils and all those things.
lolol
i used to dress up sometimes when i was a kid(but i was the cute girly things, not the dark demonic costumes) lol.  grin
awwww i remember those days.

but halloween started in america, i believe. or it came from the european settlers.
so its not exactly an international holiday, just an american thing, i think.

witches, ghosts, demons, devils, we africans DO NOT play that shit. lolol

i actually KINDA dressed up this year.
my friends and i decided to be the Fanta Girls (wanna fanta, dont you wanna, wanna fanta. . .blah blah) lol
i wore all purple from head to toe.
my 3 other friends wore orange, yellow, and red from head to toe. lolol
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 7:02pm On Nov 01, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

but halloween started in america, i believe. or it came from the european settlers.
so its not exactly an international holiday, just an american thing, i think.

It's international. I think some Irish roots or something.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 7:09pm On Nov 01, 2009
oh it is?
but like i said, africans dont play or joke with demons, witches, devils, ghosts or anything like that.

and why should nigerians introduce some foreign holiday that they dont know about or doesnt make sense to them just because the west is doing it?
so what! forget halloween, it is kinda dumb though.
i only enjoyed it as a kid cause all the free candy that only ended up landing me in the dentist. lolol
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 7:14pm On Nov 01, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

oh it is?
but like i said, africans dont play or joke with demons, witches, devils, ghosts or anything like that.

and why should nigerians introduce some foreign holiday that they dont know about or doesnt make sense to them just because the west is doing it?
so what! forget halloween, it is kinda dumb though.
i only enjoyed it as a kid cause all the free candy that only ended up landing me in the dentist. lolol

In Cross River (and most parts of far eastern Nigeria), kids (and adults) enjoy their own kind of Halloween, ekpe:

Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 7:15pm On Nov 01, 2009
this halloween is better sha!
its more cultural and it feels more real.

americans use halloween (the government uses it as a way to boost the economy)
kids only dress up and get candy.
there is no REAL thing behind halloween.

even this thing sef is not halloween, its better than halloween.

ITS LOOKS FUN!! I WANNA JOIN. grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 7:18pm On Nov 01, 2009
can anyone help me with this spelling.

i believe its "Oghu" or "Ogwu"
you know i dont speak igbo and cant spell much in igbo.
but anyway, i love the festival during the rainy season around June/July/August time
its great!!
although they used to scare me cause they cal flog women anytime, unless you are with another man.
i used to take my two uncles with me ALL THE TIME just for protection. lol
they were nice to me though, cause i was foreign and i didnt really understand everything from top to bottom.
cool though, i enjoyed it.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:07pm On Nov 01, 2009
na wa ooo, this made it front page.
but anyway.

THE-AMAKA:

witches, ghosts, demons, devils, we africans DO NOT play that shit. lolol

THE-AMAKA:

oh it is?

this thread should be closed.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by cptchicks(m): 8:10pm On Nov 01, 2009
cos we are not white and we have more sense, we celebrate less scary things, looooool,
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:13pm On Nov 01, 2009
i wonder why threads like this with OBVIOUS answers make front page.
this is a no-brainer!

halloween is not our thing, so why should we adopt it and celebrate it cause the west is doing it?
na wa oooo
halloween is dumb anyway, besides the free candy!!
it did more harm on my mouth than good. lol
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by phuckNL: 8:22pm On Nov 01, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

i wonder why threads like this with OBVIOUS answers make front page.
this is a no-brainer!

halloween is not our thing, so why should we adopt it and celebrate it cause the west is doing it?
na wa oooo
halloween is dumb anyway, besides the free candy!!
it did more harm on my mouth than good. lol

I trip for the poster oo.
Abeg Poster, why don't they celebrate June 12 in the west?
The kind of stupid/rhetorical questions people ask on this forum shows how dull Nigerians really are.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:23pm On Nov 01, 2009
phuck_NL:

I trip for the poster oo.
Abeg Poster, why don't they celebrate June 12 in the west?
The kind of stupid/rhetorical questions people ask on this forum shows how dull Nigerians really are.
lmao
i dont wanna sound stupid but what is June 12?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 8:24pm On Nov 01, 2009
It's a lot like Halloween really, only that when the kids go 'trick or treating' they ask for proper food (although that was more in the past when they didn't have to worry about poison  undecided) and money instead of sweets. Sweets are okay though.  smiley

They do it around christmas, which is also around the time of the Calabar carnival.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by throttler(f): 8:26pm On Nov 01, 2009
cos we already have people looking like they have costumes on=ugly peeps tongue
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:27pm On Nov 01, 2009
ezeagu:

It's a lot like Halloween really, only that when the kids go 'trick or treating' they ask for proper food (although that was more in the past when they didn't have to worry about poison  undecided) and money instead of sweets. Sweets are okay though.  smiley

They do it around christmas, which is also around the time of the Calabar carnival.
ahhhhh Calabar, dont make me start day dreaming. lol
even my profile sef.
i really wanna go around Christmas, i heard its SOOO FUN!
like the carnival and all of that.
hmmmm seems like fun.

so @ poster
why dont we celebrate June 12 here in the west?
DUH DUH!!
thats like asking why dont we celebrate Hanukkah in Nigeria.
na wa ooooo. lol

throttler:

thats not even funny. tongue
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 8:29pm On Nov 01, 2009
throttler:

grin
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by johnkent(m): 8:34pm On Nov 01, 2009
Halloween isnt bigger than xmas but for most kids, it is way much fun than christmas.
Dec 26th in south eastern Nigeria can be seen as halloween.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Princek12(m): 8:37pm On Nov 01, 2009
People celebrate halloween in Yankee because life is good, so they have time for extra-curricular celebrations. In Naija when there is no light Halloween will be the last thing on your mind.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by cvibe: 8:37pm On Nov 01, 2009
Halloween is the same as egungun.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by jiddah: 8:41pm On Nov 01, 2009
Halloween (also spelled Hallowe'en) is an annual holiday celebrated on October 31. It has roots in the Celtic festival of Samhain and the Christian holy day of All Saints, but is today largely a secular celebration.

Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, wearing costumes and attending costume parties, carving jack-o'-lanterns, ghost tours, bonfires, visiting haunted attractions, pranks, telling scary stories, and watching horror films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

basically thats why its not celebrated in Nigeria,
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ritaNL: 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2009
Na wa oo
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by phuckNL: 8:47pm On Nov 01, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

ahhhhh Calabar, dont make me start day dreaming. lol
even my profile sef.
i really wanna go around Christmas, i heard its SOOO FUN!
like the carnival and all of that.
hmmmm seems like fun.

so @ poster
why dont we celebrate June 12 here in the west?
DUH DUH!!
thats like asking why dont we celebrate Hanukkah in Nigeria.
na wa ooooo. lol

thats not even funny. tongue

I seriously hope you didn't fall the previous posters joke oo. Otherwise you've been had big time.
It is a pity that you claimed so much patriotism on another thread yet you don't know one of the most important dates in Nigerias history.
June 12 was when we had the fairest election in naija's history which MKO abiola won. IBB annulled it. You can google the rest jare.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by skfa1: 8:49pm On Nov 01, 2009
Is of the Devil angry
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ashany: 9:02pm On Nov 01, 2009
halloween is actually an official witches day .covens all over the world carry out special rituals and evil in all forms is celebrated majority of the western world are ignorant thats why they allow theirkids to assume a persona of evil in form of costumes.you know americans imported most of their culture so as nigerian or africans we need not compound the problems we have in africa already, its halloween here every day.google halloween and find out what it really means before you invite it in,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anambra Hosts Gulder Ultimate Search XI- 2014 / 50-year-old Spinster Weds In Abuja RCCG (photos) / 4 People Drowned In A River In Benue State Buried Amidst Tears(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.