Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,277 members, 7,780,627 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:05 PM

Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. (12687 Views)

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. / 1997 Audi A4 (b5) Manual In English / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 Quattro Sport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 01, 2009
So with my B5 A4 Quattro Sport, I proved the V8 does fit the B5 chassis, with minimal effort.

Following the success of Outlaw's new V8 heart, I have the pleasure of doing another V8-into-B5 project.  Oddly enough, it's another widebody, this time though, the project is different - it's the same AHC S8 32V motor as mine, but there the similarities end.

It's a front wheel drive, it's retaining the original 5-speed 012 tranny, and it's going to maintain the OEM S8's Bosch Motronic ECU and harness, which means no MAP sensor, and it'll be running the standard MAF.

The base car is a Ming Blue Pearl 1,8 T Sport. I spent the day prepping the bay for the larger block, removed the 1,8T motor. Mounts are already available for the V8 / B5 integration, it will also be running one of my flywheels, a single-mass 7,2kg unit. In my car, there is no chatter, even when loading the tranny from low speeds, in any gear.

I'll keep you guys updated via the usual write-ups and pictures, stay tuned!
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 01, 2009
The teardown began,

Outgoing 1,8T engine:

And so the teardown continued:

Little boy 1,8L 20V turbo:

Big bad boy 4,2L 32V V8! cool

Fancy kicking that big V8 lump into the B5 bay? cheesy

Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 01, 2009
Just got back after a long stint in the workshop.

And discovered the mounts I had made for my own V6 car don't line up with the I4 set-up.

Not sure if it's due to the different subframe, the front engine support fits though. So will see if I can rework the existing ones, or I may need to build new mock-ups based on the B5 4 cylinder.

Some pictures though,
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by toshacer: 2:57pm On Nov 01, 2009
u r the main bad dawg brother.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by toshacer: 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2009
thats not a problem, to make the engines fit, you have to line up the IOH in the frame catalytic converter to make it symetrical to the push up the frame in a 45 degree angle to the upper sub frame. this is the trick.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2009
Upper oil pan section that needs to be ground off, else it fouls the subframe. I also shaved the thick webbing off, will take pictures of that later:

Engine bolted to 5-speed manual transmission temporarily:

Front panel, showing area that needs to be cut out:

Radiator test fitted:

Checking hood for clearance:

Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 01, 2009
tosh_acer:

u r the main bad dawg brother.

Hello Tosh, thanks for your comment!
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 01, 2009
Of course, there are always snags - Audi didn't produce the V8-engined A8 / S8 cars in Britain with manual transmission, so a flywheel would need to be sourced.

I took dimensions off the original S8 auto flexi plate, and had custom flywheels made, out of solid steel billet, which I now sell worldwide. These are designed to run an Audi S4 / RS4 clutch, plenty strong enough for the V8. These are the same items I've used in my own demo car, the first and only V8-powered Audi A4 B5 in the UK. cool

Deltavag V8 32V single-mass lightweight flywheel:

As above, with Audi B5 RS4 clutch:

Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 01, 2009
A little update:

So many things differ between an I4 and V6 B5, as far as installing the V8 goes.

1) Mounts - new custom mounts made to integrate V8, different from V6 base car.
2) Subframe - tranny n/s bracket needs to be cut off, and V6 one welded in place.
3) Tranny n/s mount - being replaced with V6 bracket, to allow n/s catalyst to fit.
4) Airbox - 1,8T unit has intake facing front of engine, being replaced with V6 item.

Car is now running, for some reason though, the S8 immo would not code to the B5's key and immo box, so a different approach was needed.

It involved obtaining a B5 ECU, immo box and key from a junkyard. All came from a 1998 A4 2,8 quattro. The immo box was then plugged into the car, the transponder removed from the new key (was glued in, what a b4stard it was to remove). Finally, the immo processor was carefully desoldered from the 2,8 ECU, and soldered in place of the old one in the S8's ECU. Voila!

Had a scary moment last week - the fuel filter decided to spring a leak of major proportions. It was so rusty, I was surprised it held pressure up to that point. It looked like a cylindrical brick, and after replacement, the injectors had to be removed, and taken for an ultrasonic clean. The fuel lines were then flushed through, before replacing the injectors, and firing her up.

Another issue, the cluster in a B5 is designed to work for either 4 or 6 cylinders. While the cluster in this particular B5 1,8T could be coded to work in a V6, a V8 wasn't an option. The C5 A6 uses the same basic cluster, and was available as a V8, but as the C5 came later than '96, which this B5 was, fitting one wasn't an option, unless a whole bunch of wiring was on the cards,

, It wasn't.

The existing cluster was pulled apart, and certain key components were replaced, (thank God for Maplins) so now works accurately.

A few pictures of progress so far:

Rusty, porous fuel filter:

New wiring harness in progress. Involves deleting massive auto trans ECU connector, auto trans tranny connectors, as well as configuring the S8 connectors to plug into the B5 chassis. They also needed to be extended from the left side of the scuttle, to the right:

Custom engine mounts:

Front engine support:

Left hand engine mount:

Right hand engine mount:

Front engine support bolted in place:

Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 01, 2009
The wiring's finally done, tidying things up:

Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 01, 2009
A little snag - the central plastic engine cover that Paul (my client) ordered is off an earlier car, so the "V8" section is broader than mine, and fouls the expansion tank:

Will be carefully trimmed.

Picture showing the 1,8T airbox, with forward facing intake, where it would normally go to the turbocharger's cold side:

Will be replaced with a V6 item, as I'm loath to fit an induction kit. The ignition amplifiers and evap. purge valve can then be mounted on the upper cover. The S8's MAF sits within the airbox, pretty much like an AEB, but I'll be fitting it in a conventional manner, in series with the throttle body and airbox.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 01, 2009
Both catalysts fitted - it involved removing the subframe, grinding off the I4 left-hand tranny mount, and welding in a regular V6 item. The V6 item allows the V6 bracket to be used, and is on a lower level, same as the right-hand side.

The raised I4 set-up doesn't allow a catalyst / down pipe to fit, as the distance between the floow and bracket's way too tight. Catalysts now fit perfectly, just need to fab up a Y-piece to link both catalysts to the 2.5" single Milltek.

Pictures will be up later.

I'm fortunate to have my new workshop in Bentwaters Buisness Park - it's the former US Army Air Base, which means all of us with premises here have access to the airfield, so I'll be giving this B5 A4 V8 a good old shakedown on the airstrip, with videos posted on here.

Happy days! cheesy
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by german007(m): 3:47pm On Nov 01, 2009
Good job

Engine transplants are really common in the UK, I used to find them quite amusing and rather interesting mate.

My main concern used to be the car insurance aspect of it, and also unforseeable problems in the future,

Whereabout is your garage based?
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2009
german007:

Good job
Engine transplants are really common in the UK, I used to find them quite amusing and rather interesting mate.

V8 conversions into the B5 Audi A4 in the UK however are limited to the 2 I've carried out, so pretty unique.

german007:

My main concern used to be the car insurance aspect of it, and also unforseeable problems in the future,

If your driving history's good, insurance won't be an issue. My insurance went up by £57 for the whole year, which is pretty good, considering I've gone from a 2,6L V6 12V, to a 4,2L V8 32V. I guess there are benefits of being older!  wink

There shouldn't be any more problems, than if the engine was in the original donor car, a '98 Audi S8. The OBD diagnostic port in the A4 is still linked to the Audi S8 ECU, so the diagnostic capabilities haven't been lost.  cheesy
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by toshacer: 4:27pm On Nov 01, 2009
wow. i used to do exactly what u do Sienna.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 01, 2009
german007:

Good job

Whereabout is your garage based?

Engine conversions have always been popular in Britain, but V8's into Audi B5's not common at all. Bar the 2 I have carried out, there are none.

Insurance shouldn't be an issue, as long as your driving history's sound. My insurance only went up by £57 for the whole year when I replaced my 150hp 2,6L V6 12V with the 340hp 4,2L V8 32V.

My garage is based in Bentwaters Business Park, Suffolk.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by eros(m): 6:25pm On Nov 01, 2009
Siena, i see you have being very busy lately getting work done. I was beginning to wonder where you gone all this time. Good to have you back.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 01, 2009
Thanks Eros.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by DoubleN(m): 3:47am On Nov 02, 2009
@Siena
Your posts are some of the most brilliant on this Land made of Naira.Ever considered blogging?
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 02, 2009
Double N:

@Siena
Your posts are some of the most brilliant on this Land made of Naira.Ever considered blogging?

I have considered it, just not sure if it's worth doing. undecided

I'm however on most of the UK / US Audi forums, and updates are posted on a regular basis.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by kablooee: 11:10am On Nov 02, 2009
Siena:

So with my B5 A4 Quattro Sport, I proved the V8 does fit the B5 chassis, with minimal effort.

Following the success of Outlaw's new V8 heart, I have the pleasure of doing another V8-into-B5 project.  Oddly enough, it's another widebody, this time though, the project is different - it's the same AHC S8 32V motor as mine, but there the similarities end.

It's a front wheel drive, it's retaining the original 5-speed 012 tranny, and i[b]t's going to maintain the OEM S8's Bosch Motronic ECU and harness, which means no MAP sensor, and it'll be running the standard MAF.[/b]

The base car is a Ming Blue Pearl 1,8 T Sport. I spent the day prepping the bay for the larger block, removed the 1,8T motor. Mounts are already available for the V8 / B5 integration, it will also be running one of my flywheels, a single-mass 7,2kg unit. In my car, there is no chatter, even when loading the tranny from low speeds, in any gear.

I'll keep you guys updated via the usual write-ups and pictures, stay tuned!
another good work from the pro sienna, don't you think the line in bold could cause a performance loss? how far? just wondering,
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 02, 2009
kablooee:

another good work from the pro sienna, don't you think the line in bold could cause a performance loss? how far? just wondering,

The Bosch Motronic ECU is standard fitment in the Audi S8, and they all run MAF, as opposed to a MAP sensor.

Power with this set-up is 340hp. In my own car, I took a different route, deciding to go with a fully programmable engine management system, which utilizes a MAP sensor, over the regular MAF. MAP sensors are obviously not restrictive, unlike MAF (Mass Air Flow) meters which can restrict air flow. MAP sensors are more common in turbocharged / supercharged applications, though a growing number of naturally aspirated motors are switching over to MAP.

My system is a lot more expensive, and this client opted for the more conventional set-up to cut down costs. My car (Outlaw) is a full-on, balls out high-performance build, with no expense spared. That's the only way, seeing as she's my company's demonstrator.

The only V8-powered Audi A4 B5's in Britain (currently 2) are Deltavag cars.

So in short, they are Powered by Naija!
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by oranges(m): 4:17pm On Nov 02, 2009
welcome back Siena. Good work and keep the flag flying!!
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 02, 2009
oranges:

welcome back Siena. Good work and keep the flag flying!!

Thanks bro.

Yes, Naija needs to leave her mark, we're not all bad, there is good in Nigeria too, same as everywhere else.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Obeledu: 5:35pm On Nov 02, 2009
This must have been your hobby, because i am just wondering in terms of financial reward whether it worth the effort and energy. Probably you just want to prove it can be done, because if i have money to go into such venture i will just buy V8.

However congrats for the job well done.
Re: Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 02, 2009
Obeledu:

This must have been your hobby, because i am just wondering in terms of financial reward whether it worth the effort and energy. Probably you just want to prove it can be done, because if i have money to go into such venture i will just buy V8.

However congrats for the job well done.

I doubt you read the thread through - else you'd have noticed this car belongs to a client, not me.

And as for buying a V8, yes, very possible. But NOT in an Audi A4 B5 chassis, as Audi never built them with V8's! I guess you're a practical kind of fella, that just sees a car as a means of moving from A to B.

These guys that opt for conversions are car enthusiasts, that want a pretty unique car that no one else will have. You certainly couldn't go out to buy one!

My own car was the first in Britain, as well as Europe to have a V8 transplanted successfully, and it has certainly aroused interest as far as Australia and the US VAG scene, with enthusiasts buying my conversions in kit form. The blue car featured here is just the second of many more V8-powered Audi A4 B5's to come out of Deltavag's stables.