Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. (745 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Olaokun Soyinka Writes Tonye Cole Over Airplane Seat Saga Of Wole Soyinka / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. by IDEKEALUMONA(m): 7:24pm On Nov 10, 2016
I have watched with utter dismay,the unwarranted barrage of attacks and insults on this outstanding and erudite professor of Literature,a near-perfect gentleman,a rare gift to humanity,an iconic freedom fighter and a true hero of Biafra.for commiting no sin,but for just having an opinion.

It's very worrisome,more so when it's coming from my people(the lovely people of Biafra)

What's the 'sin' of this man?

His 'sin' is simply that he reluctantly supported Buhari against GEJ during the 2015 general election,which,in my opinion, was solely based on genuine sense of patriotism.

It's even more disturbing when one considers the contributions of both men(Soyinka and GEJ) in support of Biafra.

While Jonathan and his kinsmen,led by Isaac Adaka Boro, were on the side of Nigeria during the Biafran war,it's on record that professor Wole Soyinka spent 25 MONTHS! in jail(25 good months) for being on the side Biafra.

One may reasonably argue that the war was a long time ago,and that GEJ and his people might at present have a different opinion about Biafra. That's a sound argument.

Now,let's judge them based on the recent events.
It's on record that Wole Soyinka is still unrepentant about his stand on Biafra as he recently reiterated his support for Biafra. On the other hand,while GEJ as a commander-in-chief was giving multi-million-dollar security contracts to his ARMED! Niger delta and OPC militants,he was arresting,incarcerating and torturing UNARMED! MASSOB members that did not pose any significant security threat.

And I ask as an Igboman,chose you today whom you will stand with between Wole Soyinka and GEJ? For me and my family,we have chosen to stand with Wole Soyinka.

He's the true hero of Biafra.
Re: What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. by themonk(m): 7:28pm On Nov 10, 2016
undecided
Re: What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. by eph12(m): 7:30pm On Nov 10, 2016
Lol
Nobody remembered Prof until he announced to the whole world by himself that he will destroy his green card if Trump wins. I guess people are only asking Prof to do the honourable thing by tearing his green card as he promised.

Maybe he should just apologise to the whole world that it was a joke cheesy

5 Likes

Re: What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. by AGUBANZE(m): 7:34pm On Nov 10, 2016
I admire prof a lot but he went to far

1 Like

Re: What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. by Eastactivist: 7:53pm On Nov 10, 2016
How does this concern biafra...

The man made a statement..
And people are waiting sincerely, scrutinizing and urging him to live by his words....

How does that concern biafra... Is it biafra that asked him to make such foolish statement?

Besides he is not the only one that has kissed a jail cell bc of biafra...

What's even special about him in the cause of biafra...

Guy abeg tell the parrot soyinka to tear off his green card... Nuff shit

1 Like

Re: What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. by Eastactivist: 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2016
I didn't even see the place you said soyinka is the hero of biafra.... Lol
I feel like throwing up... cheesy

Until he decides to join Kanu in kuje, he isn't and will not...
Let him just be a hero for you and your family. cheesy
Re: What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. by Young03(m): 7:57pm On Nov 10, 2016
op from ur moniker
its like ur from nsukka

prof..is suffering from senile dementia
Re: What's The Sin Of Wole Soyinka,the True Hero Of Biafra. by 96xtr09r: 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2016
DESTROY AMERICAN GREEN CARD AND GO TO JAIL - Soyinka Warned by Kayode Ajulo

An Abuja-based legal luminary, Mr Kayode Ajulo, has cautioned Soyinka against carrying out his threat of destroying his Green Card as he would be risking three to seven years jail term. Nigerian Nobel Literature Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka had earlier vowed to destroy his American Green Card in protest to Donald Trump becoming the winner of the U.S. 2016 Presidential election. Few days before the Nov. 8 election, Soyinka told students at Oxford University that “I will cut my green card myself and start packing up” if Trump won the polls. The moment Trump won the election, the literary icon vowed to leave the United States by Jan. 20, 2017, the very day president-elect Donald Trump will be inaugurated.

Ajulo said Soyinka is an opinion moulder, an elder statesman and nation builder, who should know the implication of such act. “Under the American law losing or having your U.S. green card destroyed can be a serious problem. Legally, such is tagged as wishful destruction of government’s property. He said the truth is that Soyinka is far better and far bigger than that because such act is provocative and unacceptable. He stressed that the literary icon is free to leave the country but does not have to tear the card; instead he should return the card as required by the law.

Ajulo said the professor, who is currently a resident scholar at New York University’s Institute of African American Affairs, should know better. He said: "it has a lot of implications for Nigerians. Green cards or passports are valuable documents and should be looked after it with care. Mishandling of passport could stop you from travelling not to talk of destroying green card." Ajulo further described Soyinka as a good ambassador who cares not just about Nigeria but the world at large, advising him to keep to it.

Will Soyinka still destroy his Green Card?

Source: www.ygist.com/2016/11/soyinka-destroy-your-american-green-card-and-go-to-jail.html

(1) (Reply)

FICTION: Friends Reunite (l*sbian Er0tica) / 30 Days Of Poetry Season 3, Day 9 "Slay Queens" Pix Inside / A Tale Of A Facebook Scammer And ‘her’ Apple Gifts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.