Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,814 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? (18143 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Curriculum Vitae And Resume? / 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae / 6 Tips For Writing A Winning Curriculum Vitae (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 13, 2016
undecided
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 7:29am On Nov 13, 2016
If u made a 2 1 and ur CGPA is above 4.0 it will be wise to include ur CGPA.

If u made a 2 2 and ur CGPA is above 3.4 it will be wise to include it.

If you are first class u can include it if ur CGPA is above 4.9.

Is a way if standing out among equals.

5 Likes

Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 13, 2016
Realhommie:
Yea sure... But for me, if i were an employer, that'll be a huge turn off..

What's ur opinion?

well personally i will see it as showing off, as if to say "i had a narrow escape to first class" or "i had a narrow escape to hitting 5.0/5.0" so its totally unnecessary.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by pressplay411(m): 7:34am On Nov 13, 2016
Medley:
There was an argument on a previous thread , where a nairalander included CGPA under his education am qualification. and I ask, on what grounds Will the inclusion of CGPA on ones CV be ragarded as a no no ?. I think it's a major selling point for a fresh graduate with little or no experience. what do one stand to lose for its inclusion. the only exception to this is when it's not a strong ( 2'1 or 2'2). can't you defend it? then why should one be afraid of it inclusion. you may leave out First class CGPA, the inclusion here is unnecessary. also. for vacancies where expererience and skill is required inclusion of CGPA is unnecessary. this is my .opinion.. what do you guys and ladies think?

Your CV is a professional way of marketing yourself. So if you feel CPGA helps feel free to include it.
OP Remember all you get here are simply Opinions not Fact.
So there'll be plenty haters who feel it's ITK (mostly cos they are not proud of their CGPA) so do you. You can't be disqualified for that.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Laredojohn(m): 7:40am On Nov 13, 2016
Totally not needed...because school standards cannot be compared, a 4.5 in UI, IFE, Unilag, Unizik, cannot be compared to some other schools, defending the cgpa isn't possible, the 2.1, 2.2, first class is what's needed...

1 Like

Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Chartey(m): 7:46am On Nov 13, 2016
lexiconkabir:

well personally i will see it as showing off, as if to say "i had a narrow escape to first class" or "i had a narrow escape to hitting 5.0/5.0" so its totally unnecessary.

What's the point of a CV if it's not to show yourself off and to sell yourself?

1 Like

Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by amd4598(m): 7:48am On Nov 13, 2016
such CV will best fit an academic environment. Aside having necessary requirements, CGPA can make the difference when there is competition and too many applicants.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Laxy009(m): 7:54am On Nov 13, 2016
I think as a fresh graduate, your selling point is your CGPA since you don't have any work experience. Am a graduate of Accounting with a Cgpa of 4.02. It's strongly recommended to new graduate to state their Cgpa.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by haibe(m): 7:54am On Nov 13, 2016
Sure if you narrowly missed a grade, its advisable to put it.. i can't have a 4.4 CGPA and not put it on my CV.. or a 3.4 CGPA and not put it.. the reason is that the classes of degree (2.1, 2.2) won't really tell emoloyers how different you are from others in the same class.. So imagine someone who finished with 2.5 and someone who finished with 3.48.. i mean the difference is just too clear, but they call both of u a second class lower graduate. In this case, to sell yourself better, you should indicate that you are more of a 2.1 graduate than a 2.2 by putting your CGPA .

But generally, its not by 2.1 or 2.2, what we do in practice is a different ball game from what we did in school. Besides this grade of a thing is very subjective. It depends on several factors, e.g the school u went, your department, your lecturer, your personal conditions while in school..etc.. Recently some top companies have stopped the grade discrimination, they obviously understand that working in practice is a different ball game and that not everyone will low grades are less intelligent than those with higher grades.

Also the logic of using Grade points to appraise a students performance is flawed..

Imagine two students writing two papers.

In the first paper, the first guy got a 50 and the other one got a 59.. based on a gpa method of appraising, they both got a c in this paper and are the same.

In the second paper, the guy got a 60 and the second guy got a 59.. this means the first guy has a B and the other one has a C . In general the first guy is a better student because he has a total of 7 points (3+4) from 10 points available while the second guy has only 6 points. Employers and teachers assume this guy is a better student. But is this really the case?

If you look at the average score of both students, its amazing to know that the second guy has an average of 59 (59+59)÷2. While the first guy only has an average of 55 (50 +60)÷ 2. But then everyone thinks the first guy is more intelligent

This little analysis shows that the GPA system is never a reliable one. Using simple averages of the individual scores is a far better method of appraising rather than attatching points to a large scale of scores

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 13, 2016
AntiWailer:
It is bullsh**it

As u advance in career, u will remove it yourself.

As hiring manager, I am not interested in your CGPA,

Your skill set and class of graduation is enough for me.

I will give a First CLASS student with the same skill set as others a priority any day, any time but not 3.9 over 3.5.
I concur with you. I hope one day, the rate at which Nigerian companies celebrate certificate and grades won't have a negative effect on them. Once an applicant claims he/she has the required skills and can prove it, he/she should get the job. That's what they do abroad... My Technician was hired a few years ago as a graduate of NCE(technical) because he performed more than the Bsc Engineering graduates with 2.1 in the aptitude tests our recruitment firm set for them. He's been amazing on the job. The head of technical department in a renown manufacturing company in Germany is a graduate from a technical college...he never attended any university or poly where he could have earned 2.1 or upper credit. About 20 years ago, my close relation a graduate of geology from ibadanpoly, applied for a position at chevron as a geologist. He was shortlisted alongside university graduates . He floored every candidate in the aptitude test conducted. The oil an gas giants threw the result into a trash can because they didn't get what they were looking for....a university graduate with 2.1, I guess. They advertised same job position and this guy reapplied. Reluctantly, he was shortlisted and he participated in the aptitude test . He had the highest score again so, chevron invited him for an interview. In short, this guy was recruited alongside a few uni graduates who scored below him. He was also placed on same salary scale with his uni counterparts. His performance on the job was unmatched and this led to his relocation to chevron HQ in USA where he's been for the past 15 years now. That was what changed chevron's Bsc/2.1 mentality since then.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 13, 2016
AntiWailer:
It is bullsh**it

As u advance in career, u will remove it yourself.

As hiring manager, I am not interested in your CGPA,

Your skill set and class of graduation is enough for me.

I will give a First CLASS student with the same skill set as others a priority any day, any time but not 3.9 over 3.5.
well considering the fact that you had a pass and now hiring in your uncle's firm... it's understandable...
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Realhommie(m): 8:18am On Nov 13, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Exactly my point.

Happy Sunday.. And hope you'll be in church Have a good day
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 13, 2016
Realhommie:
Exactly my point.
Happy Sunday.. And hope you'll be in church Have a good day
grin grin you saw kabir on my moniker and still think i go to church? grin
I'm a Muslim smiley

2 Likes

Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 13, 2016
NgcoboP:

well considering the fact that you had a pass and now hiring in your uncle's firm... it's understandable...

wicked! grin
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Realhommie(m): 9:00am On Nov 13, 2016
lexiconkabir:

grin grin you saw kabir on my moniker and still think i go to church? grin

I'm a Muslim smiley
Oh my bad.. Sorry bout that, i wasn't observant enough. wink

Alhaji Kabiru, I hail ur govt.. grin
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 13, 2016
Realhommie:
Oh my bad.. Sorry bout that, i wasn't observant enough. wink

Alhaji Kabiru, I hail ur govt.. grin

abeg o, no spoil my name for me, its "Kabir".
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by AntiWailer: 9:09am On Nov 13, 2016
NgcoboP:

As usual. U will also blame Buhari for being jobless.

When u can not understand a simple statement.

If u have first class why do u need to put ur CGPA ?

I understand u had 2-2 and u need me to know u almost made a 2-1.

You will soon outgrow it.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by kaycodes: 9:09am On Nov 13, 2016
Medley:
There was an argument on a previous thread , where a nairalander included CGPA under his education am qualification. and I ask, on what grounds Will the inclusion of CGPA on ones CV be ragarded as a no no ?. I think it's a major selling point for a fresh graduate with little or no experience. what do one stand to lose for its inclusion. the only exception to this is when it's not a strong ( 2'1 or 2'2). can't you defend it? then why should one be afraid of it inclusion. you may leave out First class CGPA, the inclusion here is unnecessary. also. for vacancies where expererience and skill is required inclusion of CGPA is unnecessary. this is my .opinion.. what do you guys and ladies think?

Like I said on the other thread, don't let anyone deceive you. if you're a RECENT graduate with a STELLAR CGPA please include it. You have more to lose by not including it than if you do.

Any recruiter that gets pissed because you did, isn't someone you want to work with in the first place. It is no longer necessary when you have gained experience. I know the opportunity I lost because I didn't have such so no one should come here and talk what they have no idea about.

If I want to recruit for a role and I am down to about three strong candidates with the same skill set, I'll be naturally biased towards the one with a stellar CGPA. Once a recruiter is biased in his mind, it translates to a hiring decision in favor of who he likes.

Even in roles that require hard skills e.g IT, please still leave the CGPA there as long as you're a fresh graduate with stellar academic performance.

After all the skills evaluation they may still need a differentiating factor. At the end of the day, like someone said you have nothing to lose. You will lose more by not including it than by including it.

Okay, I have started sounding like a broken record so I'll stop grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 13, 2016
Personally, I dont see anything wrong with including it especially if a person's cgpa is high. Its an achievement that is worth mentioning.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Mcaise: 10:08am On Nov 13, 2016
It is prohibited to put your cgpa on your cv unless ur cgpa is less than 2.00.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Chibokgirl(m): 10:28am On Nov 13, 2016
needed only wn u mk First Class, 2:1 or 4.49gp dts close to first class
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by july66: 10:35am On Nov 13, 2016
Medley:
Na body dey catch them. If say the CGPA na 1.5, he for put am?
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 13, 2016
Medley:

the reason why I add my cgpa in the first place is that I was advice by one expert to add my cgpa if its more than 4.00 as a new graduate... but as you gather more experience I think there would be no need.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by humbleself242(m): 10:57am On Nov 13, 2016
Medley:
Not necessary
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by yemitty203: 11:14am On Nov 13, 2016
CGPA is not needed on your CV.It is useful when you want to go for further studies.Your class of degree is enough.My CGPA is above 4.0 and I never put it in my CV.I currently work with Federal Government and got the job in 2016.
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by airlord2020: 11:50am On Nov 13, 2016
putting it on your Cv is not required. It is necessary for your academic pursuit like masters etc. This is reason why one has to work real hard to avoid borderline cgpa .
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 13, 2016
Only When u have 4.49 u think of such things grin like if u relate
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Fabnas(m): 2:00pm On Nov 13, 2016
You can include it if u have a good CGPA ( 1st class or second class upper) if otherwise do not include it because some recruiters wnt invent u if u dont ave a good CGPA
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by Trailblazer93: 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
No be by CGPA. Iheanacho no get CGPA but he can employ a first class graduate as a gateman. Make money and forget that trashy paper called certificate undecided
Bro... Life has 3 stages: Learning -Earnings yearning. If you jump d first you will come back to it sooner or later. It will done on you later Dat U need a certificate. Doz earning instead of learning will fall back to learning later. When ur mate boast of their certificate, U will get one urself
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by butanep(m): 3:27pm On Nov 13, 2016
living2013:
If you have a strong 2.2 like 3.441 as CGPA and you want to apply for a job that requires 2.1, you can put it to try your luck.

If your CV is articulated with relevant information in a contructive/appealing manner, you may be considered

What is strong 2.1 or 2.2? There is nothing like that in the labour market. It only exist in the school world where students used it to deceive themselves but in the real market world, it's either you have 2.1 or 2.2.

Back to the topic. Nobody care about your CGPA anymore because most are deceitful. Employers and Recruiters want you to showcase your skills and what you can offer not what your certificate can offer...
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by butanep(m): 3:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
kaycodes:

Like I said on the other thread, don't let anyone deceive you. if you're a RECENT graduate with a STELLAR CGPA please include it. You have more to lose by not including it than if you do.

Any recruiter that gets pissed because you did, isn't someone you want to work with in the first place. It is no longer necessary when you have gained experience. I know the opportunity I lost because I didn't have such so no one should come here and talk what they have no idea about.

If I want to recruit for a role and I am down to about three strong candidates with the same skill set, I'll be naturally biased towards the one with a stellar CGPA. Once a recruiter is biased in his mind, it translates to a hiring decision in favor of who he likes.

Even in roles that require hard skills e.g IT, please still leave the CGPA there as long as you're a fresh graduate with stellar academic performance.

After all the skills evaluation they may still need a differentiating factor. At the end of the day, like someone said you have nothing to lose. You will lose more by not including it than by including it.

Okay, I have started sounding like a broken record so I'll stop grin grin grin

CGPA isn't relevant in your CV be it fresh or experience graduate. Recruiters don't employed based on CGPA but skills and what you can do.

If you like get 4.9 and you have nothing valuable to offer to the company, you aren't better than a 3rd class candidate.

The focus is what can you do or offer to the company?
Re: Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? by dayowunmi(m): 4:04pm On Nov 13, 2016
I believe it's childish and unnecessary. Your cgpa is private, you don't need to splatter it all around your certificate. So if they call you for interview and ask you your qualifications, you will say you finished with 4.58 or whatever you finished it, i believe even the panel will laugh at you cos it's somehow unnecessary. Your grade description is just okay. All these oversabi people sef, don't you even consider that floating your cgpa will even make the panel bombard you more since you wanna show off, some of them will kuku take you up and start asking you irrelevant and unnecessary questions. Whatever rocks your boat though.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Recruitment At Lagos State Polytechnic 2016 / After A Long Day Of Job Hunting / Global Management Trainee Programme 2021 At Anheuser-busch Inbev

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.