Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,674 members, 7,801,946 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company (28905 Views)

Business Idea - To Assist In The Unemployment Challenge Facing Nigeria / I Have #20,000,000. I Need A Good Business Idea To Invest It / Guide On How To Sell Your Idea To Companies Or Organisations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by drnonye(m): 7:32pm On Jan 04, 2007
Please i need help here. How do i go about selling an idea to a company? What is the normal procedure? I know it should be written, but I don’t know how it should be arranged. I have a great idea 4 any of the telecommunication companies to make quick money and unimaginable number of subscribers and still play relevant role in the building of Nigeria I fear if I just go there, they would steal my idea from me
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by tEsLim(m): 10:39pm On Jan 04, 2007
Just ma 2cents

1. Copyright/patent your idea. And before sending the idea/proposal to the company send a registered copy of it to yourself via postage. Make sure its a regsitered postage with dates on it.
2. Right your idea bearing in mind that this ppl wanna make money. Let them see where the money is in your idea.
3. Try to know someone inside the company that you can confine in. I dont say that you can disclose your idea too o!!! But most of the jobs/consultancy stuffs I've got in Naija is always greezy easy with the aid of an internal force. Kokoro tin je efo inu efo lo wa.

my 2cent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Seun(m): 11:06pm On Jan 04, 2007
You can patent an invention or copyright a design or work of art/literature.
You can't copyright or patent an idea. We all have untested ideas up there.
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Analytical(m): 8:38am On Jan 05, 2007
Not exactly Seun.  You can patent an idea, if that idea is a new and useful process or an improvement of a process, under a type of patents called utility patents.  Check these: http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/patent/patentFULL.html or http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/index.html
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by drnonye(m): 6:35pm On Jan 05, 2007
Thanks all.
I think Seun is right. I can’t patent a business method. I was told of a formant I never understand. Was told I should have a 7-chapter proposal. With page 4 and 5 stating the profit and expenditure respectively I think. Anyone have an Idea about this?
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Naija4ward(m): 7:20pm On Jan 05, 2007
To a limited extent you can patent an idea.

If you have a sure-fire formula you may use combination:

USA
Hire a sharp attorney on a no win-no fee basis. The attorney register your invention before approaching the telecom coys.

UK
Dont stand a chance because of your skin. So you must first patent this idea before hiring a solicitor. When you are done, prepare 2 sets of docs, ignoring the technical details in the first docs. The second set can now contain your technical know to be released on payment.

NIGERIA
Use whatever means to locate a director of the company. Persuade him to come in on this. Be prepared to make him/her a partner in this deal. Approach your spiritual leader for guidance, hire a body guard and leave the rest to God.

JUST YOU MAY KNOW
I read that when Coca cola had problem of trying to increase their sales, a consultant offer to help. Mentioned his figures and insist on signed contract before disclosure. At the board meeting, having had his contract signed told the board of Coca Cola, if you want to increase your sales just "bottle it".

OF COURSE
If your idea will cost less than N5million to implement, then let us know in this forum. Count on some of us for funding to start the business yourself.

1 Like

Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Danoe(m): 11:43am On Jan 06, 2007
Yes selling an idea to a company: The idea we need have to be packaged. Mostly, ideas are propose to companies either as projects or contracts. The packaged may take different forms such as text books or journals or official letter of proposal.

For coperation it is reasonable to use a letter haeded paper of a registered company.

This is what I believe is happening in Nigeria.
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by LoverBwoy(m): 11:50am On Jan 06, 2007
UK
Dont stand a chance because of your skin.  So you must first patent this idea before hiring a solicitor. When you are done, prepare  2 sets of docs, ignoring the technical details in the first docs.  The second set can now contain your technical know to be released on payment.

and what exactly do you mean by this? You mean you cant patent your idea in the uk if your black?
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by shakes: 1:06pm On Jan 06, 2007
Hey Guys,

Just take this from me:

When we talked about selling an idea to a company even to the public, you should bear in mind that the concept of that idea is not exposed to any individual not even your partners in this business.

What do I mean by this? it is told that a secret kept within ones self is the success of a million people, then to be a successful catalyst you should learn this steps.

Follow the "STEPS" bellow:

1. In every idea there is an imaginative concept called the subject line where the vision lies

2. The facts to prove this imaginative thought a reality; I mean the practical way of this idea

3. The mechanism to facilitate and implement the project

4. The out-come and profit to be derived from it

5. The credibility and legitimacy of this business

6. The validity and duration of such business idea

7. The negotiating manner of not loosing out when bargaining for the price of your idea

When selling out an idea step 2 to step 7 can be used in a rational way of protecting step 1 even to a logical or statistical manner, let it be to you clearly and also to whom might be interested of which it is a percentage thing. You give out 50% to 75% and wait to see their interest; if its burn like fire then you know you've gotten the contract, if they linger from one suggestion to another you depart and they are lost from A - Z. I tell you brother.

1 Like

Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Shollay4u0(m): 4:03pm On Jan 06, 2007
It is good selling an Idea to any Company so far you know that the ideal will surely help the Company in genrating fund and make the Company grows up in their product.

Before you post the proposal make sure that you are ready for interview from various coners, you can be ask a question about the proposal and the contribution to the company product, then you don't be money concious when its issue of discusing about money with you.

The proposal is very easy to send to any Company that you see your Idea will serves as beneficiary to their product, one thing you will first do was that, you send a letter the Manager of the Company and explain in the body of the letter what you have for them, if the company is intrested they will surely reply your letter and call you for inter view, you don't just post the proposal like that because if you post any proposal to any company they will go through the proposal if it can contribute to the growth of the Company and they find it that the proposal is very nice the Company will not reply you anymore, they will just consult there phsycologist to work on it and see how it can help the growth of the Firm.

Thanks.

This is Olushola Ajibua.
08082132119 for any contact
shollay4u@yahoo.com
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by k9(m): 7:03pm On Jan 06, 2007
It all boils down to packaging. How you present your idea to them. and to do a thorough job, you need to be able to write a VERY good business proposal, which almost always means outsourcing the job to a firm that specializes in it.

So my advice: If you have the funds, find a professional to write out a business plan. If you don't have the funds, spend A LOT of time writing and fine-tunning your idea (there are a lot of free guides and tutorials online). But with the internet, it shouldn't be that hard and expensive to find a good business proposal writer. There is elance, freelance, and many other freelance writers.

That basically is the first and most important step key to getting your idea thru d door. once that is done, all else shouldn't be as hard if you are dedicated and stay the course. But of course, it will not be easy (as with anything worthwhile). Hence the comment, "if you stay the course."

BTW. do u wanna sell me ur idea and lets see if something can come out of it?
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by drnonye(m): 8:28pm On Jan 06, 2007
Hello people
I think K9 is right. I will have 2 find a way of writing it down and lets c what happens next. I have no idea on how 2 go about it but I believe we have some sites I could use. But do we have any professional organization that handles such matters?
L8r
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by superman(m): 2:00am On Jan 07, 2007
learnin

1 Like

Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Emmyz: 4:43am On Jan 07, 2007
Dear Friends,
I would like to suggest you putting your idea down in a sketch form,then get someone you can trust-like your brother or close friend-who will not sell your 'brain child' out,then analyse everything to him on how you think it would work as if he's the MD of the coy you are proposing the project to. Notice to the way he react to your speech, i mean is he fascinated or indifferent about it? This would tell you how to fine tune your proposal when writing it down in detail.
However, get a copyright by using a letter head paper and a copyright,or patent for your project, because i can't guaranttee you that once the idea gets to different coy,they might hijack it and modify it.
You can contact me for guideline on how to write a busness proposal that sell fast for telecom firms- cos i work with an advertising agency that handles MTN advert - and with my little experience i think i know what most telecom coy wants to to see first.
Besides, i also have a big idea that i've packaged for them, just witing for Monday(official resumption day) to hit their office since i've already got my guys their. (But, the truth is - to have an eye in a multinational, be ready to negotiate with the key men-i hope you understand what i mean)
jaittojeffrey@yahoo.com
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by estylove1(f): 10:04am On Jan 08, 2007
hello Emma i mean d guy working with an advertising agency handling MTN's adverts i tried mailing you but it reported failure delivery plz could you give me your e-mail address again mine is estylove1@yahoo.co.uk
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by diyobdw(f): 12:48pm On Jan 08, 2007
NIce contribution emmy!
That just the fact you stated. grin well done
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2007
You can't patent an idea unless it is in a concrete form but seen it is an idea that is still in stage of conception please be careful how you deal with the companies
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Multitask(m): 5:28am On Jan 09, 2007
Ideas are the easiest things to steal, before proposing to sell your business idea to any company, make sure you have secured enough protection for it by filing patents and trade names and trademakes applications as applicable. If you can afford it, you should get an attorney who specializes in this area of work to do the applicable paperworks for you. Finally, trust no own when it comes to making money.
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by nobby: 12:22pm On Jan 09, 2007
Hi, just like everyone has said you need to make enough protection for it by filing patents and trade names and trademakes applications as applicable. I would also advise that you draw up a business plan/proposal.

When you do, contact me for negotiations with the telecommunications company and lets be hopeful for the best. My email address is: investmentguru101@yahoo.com. However, I would appreciate your contact for a more appropraite discussion channel.
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by dude(m): 12:33pm On Jan 11, 2007
Nice post and commentries going on here.someone should please start a thread on "why do most proposals end up in the thrash can"?( especially in Nigeria)
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by diyobdw(f): 2:44pm On Jan 11, 2007
Some body could be any body which include u.
have no fear kick start your idea! grin

1 Like

Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Gettolove(m): 5:43pm On Jan 11, 2007
nice post and comments, my own contribution is just that the author of this idea should first ensure that the idea is a presentable one. I work in an advertising agency and i am sure that before an idea can be bought from an individual, such idea must win the heart of everyone. The legal aspect of it to me would be neccessary after the author must have packaged and criticised the idea in order to get a second chance even if your first presentation could not fetch you money.

ADVICE: DO NOT LET MONEY BE YOUR OBJECTIVE, LET PEOPLE CRITICISE YOUR IDEA
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Seun(m): 7:14pm On Jan 11, 2007
The best way to sell an idea is to create a product or service with that idea and then sell the product!
All other approaches are not guaranteed. There are a lot of ideas sitting in dustbins all over the world!

1 Like

Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by dennylove(m): 8:53pm On Jan 11, 2007
seun, obatala of ijebu,happy new year!!!!!!!!may you live long 4 ur mama.
just like seun have said,allow me to add this advice.

If you are a seller, find the right company that will recognize the vision of greatness in your new ideas. Promote your patents for sale or inventions for sale without marketing costs on the invention . All around the world there are demand and supply for new ideas, new invention and patent ideas. Locate the right company, investor or marketer that would turn your invention ideas and patent ideas into successful products. Turn your dreams into reality by selling your invention ideas,
YOUR ENVIRONMENT/LOCATION MATTERS,
2,PRODUCTIONS
3,YOUR IDEAS TOO
4,i go come back!!!!!!!!!
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by suave: 2:05pm On Nov 24, 2007
drnonye I think we have something in common, i have an idea I want to sell too and I just drafted it and designed it virtually and hope to get a patent for it soon. Someone advised I get a lawyer to do it, aren't there ways to do it online? If yes please send links.
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 24, 2007
cool
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by bosoka: 7:50pm On Nov 14, 2008
Please i need help here. How do i go about selling an idea to a company? What is the normal procedure? I know it should be written, but I don’t know how it should be arranged. I have a great idea 4 any of the banks in Ghana to make quick money and unimaginable number of customers year by year but I fear if I just go there, they would steal my idea from me.
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by bosoka: 7:59pm On Nov 14, 2008
how do u write proposal to a company
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by xposure(m): 1:21pm On Nov 18, 2008
Dear friends,
if anybody needs a sample proposal send me your email address i will help you out.

I am sorry i can not leave my email here because of spam mails.
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by ajayi1(m): 11:34am On Nov 19, 2008
Involve your lawyer and forget about patent or not patent.

1 Like

Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by samadex3: 11:47am On Nov 25, 2008
the ideas are not bad but has there been anyone whose has utilized the idea, rather than suggestion to non practical, ?
Re: How To Sell A Business Idea To A Company by danedrol: 5:25pm On Nov 25, 2008
I completely agree that it boils down
to Packaging, Marketing or Presentation
AND Your Lawyers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Story Of Ibadan’s First Entrepreneur, Enigmatic Adebisi Idi-ikan: An Unsung Hero / Jason Njoku: "My Children Won't Inherit My Money" - Iroko TV Boss Says / Ifeanyi Ubah At World Cup In Russia: "A Win For France Is A Win For Africa"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.