Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

What Is Halloween? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Halloween? (3838 Views)

Happy Halloween! Are You Going To Do Anything Today? / Re; Halloween And Christians For Frosbel And Omo Alata / Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:11am On Nov 02, 2009
Click to find out the real meaning of "Halloween"

[flash=500,400]http://media.chick.com/tract_9.swf[/flash]
Re: What Is Halloween? by Fhemmmy: 5:53pm On Nov 02, 2009
It is the celebration of the dead and witches
Re: What Is Halloween? by Horus(m): 7:39pm On Nov 02, 2009
Halloween is a European custom, which was brought to America in the nineteenth century by the Irish and the Scotish. Halloween is nothing more than a day of honor and tribute to Satan, the malevolent one.
Re: What Is Halloween? by Fhemmmy: 7:41pm On Nov 02, 2009
Horus:

Halloween is a European custom, which was brought to America in the nineteenth century by the Irish and the Scotish. Halloween is nothing more than a day of honor and tribute to Satan, the malevolent one.

yes oh, and it is so sick to see how far people will go to celebrate it.
Re: What Is Halloween? by Frizy(m): 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2009
Crazy stuff indeed. This guys come to the front of your door knocking. "Happy halloween". The sad thing is that some Egyptians who want to be Americans by force also join in the grove. shocked
Re: What Is Halloween? by smurf1(f): 10:56pm On Nov 02, 2009
undecided
Re: What Is Halloween? by rite2salas(m): 4:31am On Nov 04, 2009
:d wink
Re: What Is Halloween? by Fhemmmy: 4:40am On Nov 04, 2009
Not only them, almost everyone celebrate it.
What shocks me most of some of the pranks some people do . . .like sticking needles into the candy and give it to the kids? that is wicked. . .but then, it is about the dead
Re: What Is Halloween? by reka(m): 8:01pm On Nov 04, 2009
anyways, its crazy that people can actually be celebrating shit like that,
Re: What Is Halloween? by Fhemmmy: 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2009
It is even more crazy that they have some called "death match" in Canada, where people dress like dead and all that kinda nonsense . . . and u wonder why God is angry at all these kinda stuff?
Re: What Is Halloween? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:16pm On Nov 10, 2009
[size=13pt]Horus i feel you . you have always shared intelligently. . . . . wink[/size]
Horus:

1 Like

Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:07pm On Sep 30, 2010
Stinky

[flash=500,400]http://media.chick.com/preview.swf[/flash]
Re: What Is Halloween? by yeswecan(m): 4:52pm On Sep 30, 2010
And people celebrate it without knowing what they are celebrating.
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:12pm On Sep 30, 2010
It is a big celebration here in the UK and in the US of A, it is even popularised with the Harry Potter fame.
Re: What Is Halloween? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 7:44pm On Sep 30, 2010
[size=13pt]@ topic. . .

The word itself, "Halloween," actually has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"wink, is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. But, in the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain (sow-en), the Celtic New year.

One story says that, on that day, the disembodied spirits of all those who had died throughout the preceding year would come back in search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed to be their only hope for the afterlife. The Celts believed all laws of space and time were suspended during this time, allowing the spirit world to intermingle with the living.

Naturally, the still-living did not want to be possessed. So on the night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily parade around the neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten away spirits looking for bodies to possess. grin grin grin

Probably a better explanation of why the Celts extinguished their fires was not to discourage spirit possession, but so that all the Celtic tribes could relight their fires from a common source, the Druidic fire that was kept burning in the Middle of Ireland, at Usinach.

Some accounts tell of how the Celts would burn someone at the stake who was thought to have already been possessed, as sort of a lesson to the spirits. Other accounts of Celtic history debunk these stories as myth.

The Romans adopted the Celtic practices as their own. But in the first century AD, Samhain was assimilated into celebrations of some of the other Roman traditions that took place in October, such as their day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple, which might explain the origin of our modern tradition of bobbing for apples on Halloween.

In Greek mythology, goddesses of the underworld were often used to invoke the Samhain. Popular Greek Goddess costumes portray Hecate and Medusa. Hecate was the most favored goddess by Zeus, and wandered the emptiness between the worlds of life and death looking for souls of the dead. Both were considered serpent goddesses, and their ancient dark legends spawned myths such as vampires, who fed off the living using venom and snake-like fangs. Ritualistic dress includes snake adornments and three headed masks. Today, Hecate is often referred to as the goddess of witches.

The thrust of the practices also changed over time to become more ritualized. As belief in spirit possession waned, the practice of dressing up like hobgoblins, ghosts, and witches took on a more ceremonial role.

The custom of Halloween was brought to America in the 1840's by Irish immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine. At that time, the favorite pranks in New England included tipping over outhouses and unhinging fence gates.

The custom of trick-or-treating is thought to have originated not with the Irish Celts, but with a ninth-century European custom called souling. On November 2, All Souls Day, early Christians would walk from village to village begging for "soul cakes," made out of square pieces of bread with currants. The more soul cakes the beggars would receive, the more prayers they would promise to say on behalf of the dead relatives of the donors. At the time, it was believed that the dead remained in limbo for a time after death, and that prayer, even by strangers, could expedite a soul's passage to heaven.

The Jack-o-lantern custom probably comes from Irish folklore. As the tale is told, a man named Jack, who was notorious as a drunkard and trickster, tricked Satan into climbing a tree. Jack then carved an image of a cross in the tree's trunk, trapping the devil up the tree. Jack made a deal with the devil that, if he would never tempt him again, he would promise to let him down the tree.

According to the folk tale, after Jack died, he was denied entrance to Heaven because of his evil ways, but he was also denied access to Hell because he had tricked the devil. Instead, the devil gave him a single ember to light his way through the frigid darkness. The ember was placed inside a hollowed-out turnip to keep it glowing longer.

The Irish used turnips as their "Jack's lanterns" originally. But when the immigrants came to America, they found that pumpkins were far more plentiful than turnips. So the Jack-O-Lantern in America was a hollowed-out pumpkin, lit with an ember.

So, although some cults may have adopted Halloween as their favorite "holiday," the day itself did not grow out of evil practices. It grew out of the rituals of Celts celebrating a new year, and out of Medieval prayer rituals of Europeans. And today, even many churches have Halloween parties or pumpkin carving events for the kids. After all, the day itself is only as evil as one cares to make it. wink
[/size]
Re: What Is Halloween? by yeswecan(m): 10:39pm On Sep 30, 2010
^^

You narrate beautifully
Re: What Is Halloween? by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 01, 2010
Everything in this world is dependent on how you interpret it. what i have found with a lot of our so called African religious people especially the ones of the pentecostal christian persuasion is that they usually suffer from selective interpretation.

Halloween has its roots in paganism, so is Christmas and so is Easter. however, these ceremonies have evolved and over the years and have taken up a whole new significance that the original ideas behind them are now moribund.

We should see Halloween for what it is now. A day when children are allowed to be children and do what children do. what we do with this over interpretation is trying to adultrate the innocence of children. the same kind of people who have a problem with Halloween usually have a problem with Harry potter, but these same people will allow their children watch home videos where they show a graphic and adult interpretation of wickedness through occult mediums
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:33am On Oct 01, 2010

Re: What Is Halloween? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 3:18pm On Oct 27, 2010
[size=13pt]Thanks my dear. . . wink[/size]

yeswecan:

^^

You narrate beautifully
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:04pm On Oct 28, 2010
The Devil And Halloween

"Neither give place to the devil" (Ephesians 4:27)

Halloween has long been claimed as the high, holy day of Satan worship.  This is the day when witches and warlocks gather to praise their leader and extend his work on Earth.  Festivities are marked by unprecedented evil and blasphemy, with blood sacrifices and hedonistic practices playing prominent parts.

To far too great an extent, Christian families participate in the same, with children (and parents, too) dressing up as demons, ghosts, skeletons, wizards, etc.  We can only surmise how much pleasure Satan derives from this deception.

Satan, we must remember, is the "adversary . . . (who), as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" (I Peter 5:cool, and many times he disguises himself as "an angel of light" (II Corinthians 11:14).  We are to "resist (him) steadfast in the faith" (I Peter 5:9), for, "resist the devil, and he will flee from you" (James 4:7).

Although Satan is acknowledged to be "the prince of this world" (John 14:30), his doom is sure.  "The God of peace shall bruise [literally crush] Satan under your feet shortly" (Romans 16:20).  He will be "cast into the lake of fire and brimstone . . . and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever" (Revelation 20:10).

Until the realization of that ultimate victory is gained, our mission on Earth is to "turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God" (Acts 26:18).

Accordingly, let us strive to see that his harmful influence is thwarted on this, his special day.  The children of each community need protection from the evil influences boldly swarming this night.  May we, ourselves, not fall prey to his dark deceptions, and especially in the lives of our children, may we focus their attention on the Light, instead. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:13pm On Oct 28, 2010
"Give satan an inch and he'll be a ruler."
Re: What Is Halloween? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 3:32pm On Oct 28, 2010
[size=13pt]Satan have always been a ruler. . . he's the ruler of the world and beyond . grin grin[/size]

OLAADEGBU:

"Give satan an inch and he'll be a ruler."
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:38pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]Satan have always been a ruler. . . he's the ruler of the world and beyond . grin grin[/size]

It's obvious that you've given him more than an inch in your life.

That is why you should:

"Never give the devil a ride . . . he will always want to drive."
Re: What Is Halloween? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2010
[size=13pt]hehehee cheesy cheesy

But the Devil you known have been riding , nobody given em a godamm ride . he's a proud owner of any drivable you can imagine. grin grin
[/size]

OLAADEGBU:

It's obvious that you've given him more than an inch in your life.

That is why you should:

"Never give the devil a ride . . . he will always want to drive."
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:36pm On Oct 28, 2010
A scheduled battle does not claim the life of a (wise) cripple.  cool
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:54pm On Oct 28, 2010

Re: What Is Halloween? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 6:39pm On Oct 28, 2010
[size=13pt]I'm tired of seeing your weak cartoons illustration . . .abeg , do something you olagbaduz! grin cheesy cheesy [/size]
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:33pm On Nov 01, 2010
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]I'm tired of seeing your weak cartoons illustration . . .abeg , do something you olagbaduz! grin cheesy cheesy [/size]

How was your halloween last night, how many souls did you capture if any?
Re: What Is Halloween? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:49pm On Nov 01, 2010
[size=13pt]My Halloween lastnight is the un told stories. . .i did a lot of shit with my fellow , was so bloody and dark . killing and time for rituals .

we have Fun drinking blood with vampires and eating with cannibals . grin grin grin grin

I was like NO! I'm not ready to leave HELL . cheesy cheesy cheesy wink
[/size]

OLAADEGBU:

How was your halloween last night, how many souls did you capture if any?
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:54pm On Nov 01, 2010
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]My Halloween lastnight is the un told stories. . .i did a lot of poo with my fellow , was so bloody and dark . killing and time for rituals .

we have Fun drinking blood with vampires and eating with cannibals . grin grin grin grin

I was like NO! I'm not ready to leave HELL . cheesy cheesy cheesy wink
[/size]

Was it human's bodies and blood you feasted on or that of animals?
Re: What Is Halloween? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 3:55pm On Nov 01, 2010
[size=13pt]What do you expect? all i can tell you now it that , we did bloody and scare so many away . . hehehehe cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy wink[/size]
Re: What Is Halloween? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:05pm On Nov 01, 2010
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]What do you expect? all i can tell you now it that , we did bloody and scare so many away . . hehehehe cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy wink[/size]

Why can't you give me the answer to my question, are you scared or is it that you know that what you did was wrong?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reflection/homily: Fifth Sunday Of Easter Year C (april 28 2013) / Why Do Christians Oppose The Devil Without Hearing His Side Of The Story? / Real Life Angel Has Fallen From The Sky In London | See Scary Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.