Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates (12811 Views)

Lagos-Ibadan Free Train Ride: After Low Patronage Passengers Besiege Iju Station / How To Enjoy Free Lagos-ibadan Train Ride / Why The Free Lagos-Ibadan Train Ride Is Yet To Commence (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 3:04pm On Nov 11, 2016
SO I'm starting this thread 7 hours into the journey because we started out at 9:30pm and I hit the sack as soon as we boarded. After lamenting about a bad experience I had in Southside Chicago and my hasty exit from that zone, the journey in Chicago has come to an end and we are heading home to Nigeria.

So we did the maths and explored our options, getting to New York from Chicago would cost us $223 per person on SouthWest Airlines (which we paid $94 each for going to Chicago by the way), which was somewhat disappointing. So, we settled for the Megabus. Just as we were about to pay, we found out that it went for $65 per person, including the infants in our party and only 1 luggage was allowed per person. I usually avoid train rides due to an earlier conception that they are expensive... but something made me check the Amtrak train. Lo and behold, it cost us $371 for 7 people (adults full price, kids half price, infants free) shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I hit the pay button without thinking twice, before I saw that luggage allowance was 2 bags per person with additional 2 carry on items! Sweet deal yer! And this was a last minute buy, we booked the night before the trip, so I'm thinking it would have been cheaper if we made up our mind earlier.

Ok, so I am starting the update from Erie Pennsylvania, mostly pictures as there is really nothing to write about!

6 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by STENON(f): 3:12pm On Nov 11, 2016
...Following

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 11, 2016
Wishing you safe journey though no recession yet in the U.S you are spending your money wisely ...send us pix let us compare biko. grin grin grin
This one you are going to New York ,I hope someone won't start walking for Trump to trump his ego.

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 3:23pm On Nov 11, 2016
The train leg room is awesome!!!

4 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 3:28pm On Nov 11, 2016
We passed through Erie Pennsylvania... Train station reminded me of Lokoja or something like that! Lolz

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 3:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
But I am not understanding something...

We have just reached Buffalo New York... and we still have 11 hours to ride on the train.... hian!

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 11, 2016
Don't worry by the time you arrive Oga Ambode would have finished the Lagos light rail project,hopely next year Oga Buhari would completed the nation wide rail project. I just hope it comes with entertainment systems when completed.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 11, 2016
wanderlustian:

We have just reached Buffalo New York... and we still have 11 hours to ride on the train.... hian!
Reminds me of Taraba
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 3:44pm On Nov 11, 2016
uruba23:

Reminds me of Taraba

Lolz! You are too funny
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by darltastic(m): 3:55pm On Nov 11, 2016
following
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 5:09pm On Nov 11, 2016
Rural New York... Between Rochester and Seracruse

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 11, 2016
keep us updated,hmmm never knew there is rural New York,all I know is Manhattan..
Hmmm enjoy your ride..

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Teeboy22(m): 8:04pm On Nov 11, 2016
Following cool cool

Hope you are enjoying the states
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 8:52pm On Nov 11, 2016
Just passed through Schenectady, NY.

Pretty soon, the train will separate and a portion will go towards Boston, while we continue to New York City

3 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2016
OK noted virtual travelling thingz
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 10:15pm On Nov 11, 2016
So we waited for about 30 mins in Albany NY, where the Boston bound cars separated and headed in a different direction.

We head towards NY along the Hudson River

3 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 11, 2016
10:20 pm got to go to bed,enjoy your journey,keep us updated.
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 11, 2016
Funny no updates yet thought I do be sleeping but still reading your old post travelling to Switzerland
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Originalsly: 2:25am On Nov 12, 2016
wanderlustian:

Buffalo is wayyy up North.... very close to Canada while NYC is wayyy down south. But 11 hours?...something is wrong. I guess she already arrived and is busy. ..next update would be from the airport.(@op...check mail)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by otokx(m): 6:36am On Nov 12, 2016
Subscribing as usual
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 12, 2016
Kilode na I am addicted o waiting for update
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by DisGuy: 12:17pm On Nov 12, 2016
hmm following most of your threads, as a travel 'expert' you tend to do most of your planning last minute...

Spontaneous but expensive and somewhat risky
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Originalsly: 12:18pm On Nov 12, 2016
Hmmmm....... been a while.... guess op is almost back home!
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by TWoods(m): 12:44am On Nov 13, 2016
wanderlustian:

lol most people don't realize how big New York state actually is. It takes about an hour to drive from Buffalo to Rochester and Rochester is at least 6 hours by road to NYC. Considering that trains are slower and will stop several times along the way, the 11 hour time makes sense.

6 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by TWoods(m): 12:47am On Nov 13, 2016
uruba23:
keep us updated,hmmm never knew there is rural New York,all I know is Manhattan..
Hmmm enjoy your ride..

Most of NY state is rural and/or small towns. Buffalo, Syracuse, Schenectady, Geneseo, Albany, Niagara falls, Greece, Rochester, Farmingdale etc. NYC is only a small part of the state.

7 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 9:15pm On Nov 15, 2016
My people!

Biko forgive me. Somehow I was unable to log on to Boingo hotspot in JFK airport, and I was so dog tired. I don't think I have been this exhausted in a long time.

It's mission accomplished for me, as I have delivered my clients home safely with peace and joy, feeling like a super hero!

It kind of got too dark for us to take more pictures as we proceeded through New York all the way to Penn Station, but bottomline is, except it is an urgent business trip, no more air travel within US for me! The Amtrak trains have won me over! After 19 hours, I was sad that the journey had to end.

So we came off at Penn Station and took a yellow taxi to JFK. The driver, an arab guy was just the best. He even made sure we had all our travel documents ready before he drove us and gave us his number just in case we are in New York again.

We were flying Arik and we had 30kg baggage allowance for 10 bags. Isn't arik bae?

My husband was at MMIA waiting for us and whisked us out of Lagos to our new home in the East where he has been pampering us since we returned.

I've not had a moment rest, as usual, my desk is packed full with client requests and paperwork to treat. Someday, this my shakara has to end and I will have to hire staff. cry cry cry

I'm putting up a new post about adventure in Missouri in a bit. Seems like an awesome destination for family holidays.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 9:17pm On Nov 15, 2016
DisGuy:
hmm following most of your threads, as a travel 'expert' you tend to do most of your planning last minute...

Spontaneous but expensive and somewhat risky

Well, not really.

My Europe tour was meticulously planned. In this case, my clients were in charge and they usually took last minute decisions. It got me exasperated sometimes, but customer is king all the time. I'm so glad to be home.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 9:19pm On Nov 15, 2016
TWoods:

Most of NY state is rural and/or small towns. Buffalo, Syracuse, Schenectady, Geneseo, Albany, Niagara falls, Greece, Rochester, Farmingdale etc. NYC is only a small part of the state.

Azzin, I had no idea about this.Travelling is Education itself! Not all who wander are lost. Lolz!
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by ManTiger(m): 1:53am On Nov 16, 2016
wanderlustian:
SO I'm starting this thread 7 hours into the journey because we started out at 9:30pm and I hit the sack as soon as we boarded. After lamenting about a bad experience I had in Southside Chicago and my hasty exit from that zone, the journey in Chicago has come to an end and we are heading home to Nigeria.

So we did the maths and explored our options, getting to New York from Chicago would cost us $223 per person on SouthWest Airlines (which we paid $94 each for going to Chicago by the way), which was somewhat disappointing. So, we settled for the Megabus. Just as we were about to pay, we found out that it went for $65 per person, including the infants in our party and only 1 luggage was allowed per person. I usually avoid train rides due to an earlier conception that they are expensive... but something made me check the Amtrak train. Lo and behold, it cost us $371 for 7 people (adults full price, kids half price, infants free) shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I hit the pay button without thinking twice, before I saw that luggage allowance was 2 bags per person with additional 2 carry on items! Sweet deal yer! And this was a last minute buy, we booked the night before the trip, so I'm thinking it would have been cheaper if we made up our mind earlier.

Ok, so I am starting the update from Erie Pennsylvania, mostly pictures as there is really nothing to write about!
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Originalsly: 10:12am On Nov 16, 2016
wanderlustian:
. In this case, my clients were in charge and they usually took last minute decisions. It got me exasperated sometimes, but customer is king all the time.
Hmmm..... all along I thought you were like a tour guide/chaperone where you plan the entire trip and make the decisions. Is it that this trip was an exception where you pretty much just tagged along with them?...so they made the decisions? If yes... I suggest you don't ever run such risk again. ... you may not be lucky to return in one piece.
On your next adventure..... like to Missouri. .. you should open a thread here to get first hand info from NLanders on ground .... I'm sure you would get more relevant info than you can ever find on the net. Looking forward to reading about your next wandering!
Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by wanderlustian(f): 10:29am On Nov 16, 2016
Originalsly:
Hmmm..... all along I thought you were like a tour guide/chaperone where you plan the entire trip and make the decisions. Is it that this trip was an exception where you pretty much just tagged along with them?...so they made the decisions? If yes... I suggest you don't ever run such risk again. ... you may not be lucky to return in one piece.
On your next adventure..... like to Missouri. .. you should open a thread here to get first hand info from NLanders on ground .... I'm sure you would get more relevant info than you can ever find on the net. Looking forward to reading about your next wandering!

Story is looooonng!

Client's wife was preg, went to have the babybin US. Met brick walls, client had returned to 9ja. Wifey was stranded and had preg complications, coupled with having the other kids with her. I was called upon for 1 mission, help her when she went to have the baby to assist with the other kids and bring them all home safely.

Now you get the drift. It had never been my call from the get go. They had their plans, which i had to work with, which wasn't foolproof. I eventually had to manage expectations.

At the end, all is well that ends well.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 16, 2016
wanderlustian:

Story is looooonng!

Client's wife was preg, went to have the babybin US. Met brick walls, client had returned to 9ja. Wifey was stranded and had preg complications, coupled with having the other kids with her. I was called upon for 1 mission, help her when she went to have the baby to assist with the other kids and bring them all home safely.

Now you get the drift. It had never been my call from the get go. They had their plans, which i had to work with, which wasn't foolproof. I eventually had to manage expectations.

At the end, all is well that ends well.
I hope client's wife achieved her goal of having her baby there.Hmmm she should have done proper consultation before heading there,quite risky well it opens a new vista of opportunity for you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Colours Of Nigerian Taxis [pictures] / Advice On Visa Appeal / Overstaying In The US On A B1/B2 Visiting Visa..is It Advisable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.