Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment (16332 Views)

"Frustrating Queues @ ATM Centres" / What's The Best Courier Company For Shipping Within Nigeria? / Bad Experience with FedEx US to Nigeria Courier Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 9:26am On Nov 02, 2009
Babefishing dating community, the ideal free Nigerian dating site. Click www.babefishing.com now!
   I don't know if i am the unlucky one or if such is a regular occurrence with UPS courier service, but this is the second time i am dealing with UPS, and each time, i experienced total disappointment and let down with their courier services.
   No need to narrate the previous disappointing encounter, i'd rather start with this recent one which began on Tuesday (the 20th of oct 09). UPS received a package that was intended for me (in Ireland) from Nigeria, the package was supposed to be delivered on Friday (the 23rd), but there was no sign of UPS, i waited patiently until i decided to track the package and subsequently gave them a call on Tuesday the 27th of Oct. To my displeasure, the customer service lady was neither apologetic nor polite, she adhere to her unreasonable opinion that "packages from Nigeria could take longer than 3 days for custom or security reasons", and that mine is/was experiencing "custom check". Her explanation was not satisfactory so i demanded to speak with her superior, but she would not put me through with anyone insisting that she had already told me what i needed to know.
   The package contains hard documents which was supposed to be used on Thursday, the 29th, so i was desperate to get it. An hour later, i rang them again and another lady answered: she eventually advised that the package had experienced "exception" by the German custom, suggesting me to contact Germany and know the reason. I did just that, but the German custom had nothing to do with the package, they rather advised me to contact Dublin custom. I obeyed every suggestion until i contacted the UPS in Nigeria.
   There was not much of a help from the Nigerian side, and i contacted Dublin office over and over and over again, and each time, i was on with a different agent who would ask same questions all over again. The annoying thing is, they just could not give any meaningful explanation of what went wrong, neither were they giving the sense of concern that something entrusted to them is unaccounted for, rather, they were asking me to do the enquiries about my own package.
   Despite asking for my phone number and email address which i repeatedly give them, i received no contact from them all these whiles. A couple of days later, i rang them again, and a lady prompted me that the package has been found, and would be delivered to me the next day which happened to be Thursday (which was the deadline date), i thought the worst was over and expressed my displeasure that they did not bother to inform me of the development: little did i know that the worst is yet to come.
   On the given Thursday, i waited all day, but there was no sign of UPS, and next day, i rang them again. The frustrating thing is that each time i contacted them, a different person answered and they don't keep record of the conversations that took place earlier, or what information i was given regarding my package, so i would have to repeat the whole thing all over again and new suggestions will begin from there.
   The last person i spoke with was a polite man (with apparent Indian accent), he took my email address and my telephone number and promised to personally investigate the matter and contact me; but until now, after 13 days, they still haven't contacted me. I badly need the document to enable me know when to book a new appointment. I'm highly disappointed at UPS courier and their customer services.

Has anyone had any similar experience?

***[size=20pt] UPDATE AS OF 04 NOV. 2009  [/size]***   
   Now, my People, i bring you update of the situation regarding UPS and my package: After many days of investigation, the "tracer request" has elapsed, and i received a phone call from UPS London headquarters on which i was informed that "the package never actually left Nigeria", and that there were fraudulent attempts of deception in which some of their staff in Nigeria gave bogus information to enable them steal the content of my package which contains my (Nigerian) travel documents with 14 visas both valid and expired ones: and also bears a Schengen state permanent residency.
   And now, my brother, acting on advice of our solicitor has reported the matter to the state Police Commissioner who has promised to mobilise his men to raid the office and shut down the facility while the solicitor sues UPS for whatever damages caused by this terrible acts of fraudulent which has cost us more than i can conveniently express here.
   What amazes me is the way they deceitfully used a bogus tracking number which makes it appear that the package arrived Ireland before it got missing, but my Solicitor was keen to detect that the tracking number shows the package leaving the city of origin, but there is no indication that it was checked in Lagos before arriving in Dublin, and there is no record that the package arrived or departed any other European airport city. (where-as, there is no direct flight from Lagos to Dublin how much more from a city without international airport).
   Here are some copies of the supporting evidence:

Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 02, 2009
I use UPS on a regular basis, can't say I've had any issues so far.

You must have been unlucky, couriers do have hiccups, none are perfect I suppose.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by tunnytox(m): 2:02pm On Nov 02, 2009
I'll ONLY use UPS to send package from Europe to Nigeria but NEVER from Nigeria to Europe,, i had a more terrible experience using them in the past, they seem to work hand in hand with the customs and are always under the impression that all packages from Nigeria has some terrible contents, this is true on many occassions ppl send a lot of unbelievable things through courier.

In future if you are expecting any docuemnts from Nigeria you may be better off requesting them to be posted through NIPOST rather than using UPS, sounds unbelievable but its a much better option which i've tried on several occasions
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by JeSoul(f): 4:24pm On Nov 02, 2009
It is a good idea to chronicle all the phone calls you've made, the amount of time you've spent etc and write a formal letter of complaint to the UPS corporate center either in Ireland or wherever their head office is.

I've always taken to writing angry but polite letters whenever I encounter horrible customer service and I've seen usually they'll find a way to appease or compensate you. This kind of horrid 'customer' service is simply not acceptable. One airline lost my luggage for the duration of my trip, best believe I kept receipts of everything I bought - clothes, food, even make-up, they reimbursed all my expenses. Write to them! companies are fearful of angry customers.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 2:54am On Nov 05, 2009
Ha Siena.
Long time no see. How are you keeping, has your honey-girl taken the most of you that we hardly see your break-light these days?
Now, my People, i bring you update of the situation regarding UPS and my package: After many days of investigation, the "tracer request" has elapsed, and i received a phone call from UPS London headquarters on which i was informed that "the package never actually left Nigeria", and that there were fraudulent attempts of deception in which some of their staff in Nigeria gave bogus information to enable them steal the content of my package which contains my (Nigerian) travel documents with 14 visas both valid and expired ones: and also bears a Schengen state permanent residency.
And now, my brother, acting on advice of our solicitor has reported the matter to the state Police Commissioner who has promised to mobilise his men to raid the office and shut down the facility while the solicitor sues UPS for whatever damages caused by this terrible acts of fraudulent which has cost us more than i can conveniently express here.
What amazes me is the way they deceitfully used a bogus tracking number which makes it appear that the package arrived Ireland before it got missing, but my Solicitor was keen to detect that the tracking number shows the package leaving the city of origin, but there is no indication that it was checked in Lagos before arriving in Dublin, and there is no record that the package arrived or departed any other European airport city. (where-as, there is no direct flight from Lagos to Dublin how much more from a city without international airport).

[size=20pt]   HERE IS A COPY OF UPS DECLARATION FORM AND COPIES OF MY SOLICITOR'S PETTITION LETTER TO THE STATE CP:[/size]

Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Nobody: 3:06am On Nov 05, 2009
Vicjustice:

Ha Siena.
   Long time no see. How are you keeping, has your honey-girl taken the most of you that we hardly see your break-light these days?
   Now, my People, i bring you update of the situation regarding UPS and my package: After many days of investigation, the "tracer request" has elapsed, and i received a phone call from UPS London headquarters on which i was informed that "the package never actually left Nigeria", and that there was were fraudulent attempts of deception in which some of their staff in Nigeria gave bogus information to enable them steal the content of my package which contains my travel documents with 14 valid and expired visas: and also bears a Schengen state permanent residency.
   What amazes me is the way they deceitfully used a bogus tracking number which makes it appear that the package arrived Ireland before it got missing, but my Solicitor was keen to detect that the tracking number shows the package leaving the city of origin, but there was no indication that it was checked in Lagos before arriving in Dublin without transit anywhere else (where-as, there is no direct flight from Lagos to Dublin how much more from a city without international airport).
   Here are some copies of the supporting evidence:

damn!! shit  Fraud!!!!! Hold them oo! This is terrible! arrrrrgh angry

I have never used UPS for once, i just don't bother using them:

I use DHL, more realiable
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Tegese: 4:10pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vicjustice:

Ha Siena.
[size=20pt] HERE IS A COPY OF UPS DECLARATION FORM AND COPIES OF MY SOLICITOR'S PETTITION LETTER TO THE STATE CP:[/size]
What a shame. Nigeria and fraud! How would a company like ups have criminals as staff, when it's expected to have people of transparent honesty? This is breach of contract, and though i don't wish it, but if this sort of thing happened to me, i would make millions out of it
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by jaybee3(m): 4:12pm On Nov 05, 2009
and why r u posting your passport via UPS if i may ask?
u should have known better. This things do happen so they say
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by No2Atheism(m): 4:14pm On Nov 05, 2009
I just tire for nigeria  . . .

I am grateful for being born an African and would not wish otherwise even if it were possible to be able to make choices of being born . . .

But to be frank, I am just tired for Nigeria . . . na so so wayo . . . .even the simplest things get complicated because of corruption . . .

I am dreading the day that I would have to go and renew some documents in nigeria because i know that as someone who would not want to bribe anybody, men i am going to see pepper. . . .
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Hesperus(m): 4:24pm On Nov 05, 2009
Ah, Naija sha! So even courier companies have now been infiltrated. I feel for the poster, all your documents and to make matters worse, your passport inclusive.

As for me, I use DHL as much as possible. I just have this feeling that they are trustworthy, no particular reason. I still used them about a week ago to send off my passport and they delivered promptly, tho that was within the UK sha.

I think I have used UPS once in Naija, the package eventually arrived here after a few days delay.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 4:26pm On Nov 05, 2009
jay bee:

and why r u posting your passport via UPS if i may ask?
u should have known better. This things do happen so they say

Friend, the reason i posted my passport is not the main issue: the issue is that it is missing by UPS staff. But if you're willing to know, my Nigerian P had been in Nigeria. But this time, i need it because, i'll be going to Nigeria with my family, and some of them need Nigerian visas; so i need the passport to enhance visa application. And besides, i booked our december trip tickets which cost over 3.500 euros with the Nigeria passport and the number hence i need this very passport badly.
    Does this answer your question?
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by jaybee3(m): 4:30pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vicjustice:

Friend, the reason i posted my passport is not the main issue: the issue is that it is missing by UPS staff. But if you're willing to know, i am a dual citizen of both Nigeria and an EU state, and i often use my EU P while my Nigerian P stays in Nigeria. But this time, i need it because, i'll be going to Nigeria with my family, and some need Nigerian visas; so i need the passport to enhance visa application. Does this answer your question?
Yes it does but the point i'm trying to make post getting lost is not restricted to nigeria alone. Yes it might have been due to some fraudulent activities but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Delta007(m): 4:36pm On Nov 05, 2009
Funny enough, when I read this thread last weekend, I was going to post a comment that the parcel never left Nigeria but deleted my comments afterwards. I've been in a similar position, same UPS; thank goodness the blokes later sent the documents but they sent it via Nipost and pocketted my money. How much? N6000 and this was in Yr 2000. UPS investigated and sent me a letter of apology 4mths later stating the parcel was lost but Nipost had since delivered. Since then, I never use them.

Truth is, we Nigerians just make things difficult for ourselves but we like to blame government for everything. Why cant we just live and let live?
undecided
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by TheSeeker(m): 4:38pm On Nov 05, 2009
When it comes to fraud, Nigeria can never let you down. Those found out to be involved shouldn't be only fired but prosecuted and jailed respectively. angry angry
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by kood: 4:44pm On Nov 05, 2009
@ Vicjustice, I think you are just a victim of insecurity in a country. And I still think this is one of the major problem Nigeria is facing. It is not UPS per se. It can happen with DHL or any other courier service too. The content of the package was really the problem. and in this case if you wish to send this kind of document from Nigeria make sure you go to their main offices. The chances of tampering with package is very slim there because they know the consequences and may not want to try that kind of stuff. But in some of their branch offices, a staff fully aware of what is inside the package can still decide to tamper with it and believe he or she will run away after that.
Well, as it had happen, you are in the right direction by sueing them. UPS in Nigeria should be accountable to all their staffs irrespective of where they are located.
Good luck in finding solution to your case!
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by ybab: 5:15pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vicjustice:

Friend, the reason i posted my passport is not the main issue: the issue is that it is missing by UPS staff. But if you're willing to know, i am a dual citizen of both Nigeria and an EU state, and i often use my EU P while my Nigerian P stays in Nigeria. But this time, i need it because, i'll be going to Nigeria with my family, and some need Nigerian visas; so i need the passport to enhance visa application. And besides, i booked our december trip tickets which cost over 3.500 euros with the Nigeria passport and the number hence i need this very passport badly.

Interesting . . . . .
To the best of my knowledge, UPS does not accept travel documents from nigeria to be couriered overseas, except the rules just changed last week.

Vicjustice:

", and that there were fraudulent attempts of deception in which some of their staff in Nigeria gave bogus information to enable them steal the content of my package which contains my (Nigerian) travel documents with 14 visas both valid and expired ones: and also bears a Schengen state permanent residency.

Hmmm. so you left your naija passport back in naija with
1) 14 visas both expired and valid
2) a valid schengen state permanent residency

dude, its either you are lying or exagerrating about the passport (say the truth, its a virgin passport) or you sent that passport home (naija) for someone else to use and travel to the EU while posing as you  undecided
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 5:34pm On Nov 05, 2009
ybab:

Interesting . . . . .
To the best of my knowledge, UPS does not accept travel documents from nigeria to be couriered overseas, except the rules just changed last week.

Hmmm. so you left your naija passport back in naija with
1) 14 visas both expired and valid
2) a valid schengen state permanent residency

dude, its either you are lying or exagerrating about the passport (say the truth, its a virgin passport) or you sent that passport home (naija) for someone else to use and travel to the EU while posing as you  undecided

You're behind time, man.

1 Like

Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by platinumnk(f): 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2009
This is horrible and scary shocked shocked shocked

if u cant trust UPS u cant trust NIPOST, u cant trust Courier Services like Impex

who can u trust

I see why my dad says fly home when u want to bring something.

I tire for Nigeria o sad sad

1 Like

Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by tunnytox(m): 7:03pm On Nov 05, 2009
I don't think its advisable to send your passport via any courier for some reasons;
1. It may be illegal
2. It would have been impounded by the Irish immigration anyway
3. It could be stolen by courier staff (like this case)
and so many other reasons

I hope you'll sort this case out in the end and next time you'll avoid posting your passport
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 7:25pm On Nov 05, 2009
tunnytox:

I don't think its advisable to send your passport via any courier for some reasons;
1. It may be illegal
2. It would have been impounded by the Irish immigration anyway
3. It could be stolen by courier staff (like this case)
and so many other reasons

I hope you'll sort this case out in the end and next time you'll avoid posting your passport
   1. It is absolutely not illegal to post passports or any other travel documents, if it is illegal, i don't think embassies would be accepting posted passports, issuing visas on them and posting them back to the owners.
2. By no way would it have been impounded by the Irish immigration because it is neither fake, tempered nor abused on impersonation
3. Yes, the only posing danger which i feared is just what had happened: stolen by UPS staff. But, trust me, volcano is about to errupt. . .

1 Like

Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by tunnytox(m): 7:37pm On Nov 05, 2009
@Vicjustice
you see i am not sure whether its illegal to post passport and that's why i used the word may, secondly, I am pretty sure that the Irish immigration authorities would have seize the passport in the first instance, they will give it back to you after confirming you are the right owner though. I knew this because I've lived in Ireland myself for nearly 2 years during this period i've seen several cases of people's passport being impounded especially if you use UPS

goodluck
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 4:50pm On Nov 06, 2009
platinumnk:

This is horrible and scary shocked shocked shocked

if u cant trust UPS u cant trust NIPOST, u cant trust Courier Services like Impex

who can u trust

I see why my dad says fly home when u want to bring something.

I tire for Nigeria o sad sad

I get your point, and i see reasons with your dad.
Now, when i talk negatively about Nigeria, some people will call me names, but actually, these names calling can not change my opinion that there's indeed nothing good about Nigeria, absolutely, nothing. You see what these criminal minded Nigerians have put me through?
The frustrating thing is, my family and i have booked air tickets; and some friends have also booked their tickets to spend December with us in Nigeria despite the ill news about Kidnapping and armed robbery: But this event with UPS has raised more fear on security issues in Nigeria and our trip is in jeopardy: consequently, my wife has given up her interest to visit Nigeria, and this has resulted in our withdrawal of Nigerian visa application. Now, i don't know if it's in air France policy to refund ticket money.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Tegese: 6:30pm On Nov 06, 2009
I feel you, bro. please, make sure you dig to the end to allow these culprit brought to book. Nigeria for you there
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 07, 2009
why would someone send a green card/schengen visa/whatever via mail from Nigeria?

or indeed any country outside the west?

am I missing something?

Did you want it to get lost?

with hundreds of thousands of people queueing daily at western countries' embassies looking for visa, rampant oluwole and scammers everywhere?

I understand your frustration with the system but you should always be on your guard in this kind of situation. People are quick to jump at any crack in the wall.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by OAM4J: 1:23am On Nov 07, 2009
This is terrible shocked shocked

I have never used UPS, I always use DHL. But this is bad.

Well do all your best to hit them where it will pain them most.

What is painful here now is that it happened in Nigeria, where
justices can be bought and denied easily.
Even Nigerian police can be bought. Nigeria Police gives justice
to the highest bidder. I have experienced this 1st hand.

But please don’t give up, whatever it will take. Let them also know
directly or indirectly that you might involve the news media if they
don’t respond swiftly. Believe me that threat works magic in Nigeria
because many off them hate bad publicity, and since it is also an
international company, the local branch will not want the embarrassment.

Please keep us posted. I am really interested in this case and how it turns out.

All the best

1 Like

Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by spoilt(f): 1:28am On Nov 07, 2009
This is some serious mad shi t!
Legal action in Naija? Goodluck!
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 11:20am On Nov 07, 2009
tpia.:

why would someone send a green card/schengen visa/whatever via mail from Nigeria?

or indeed any country outside the west?

am I missing something?

Did you want it to get lost?
    Friend, the reason i posted my passport (which contains visas and residency) is not the main issue: the issue is that it is missing by UPS staff. But if you're willing to know, i am a dual citizen of both Nigeria and an EU state, and i often use my EU P while my Nigerian P stays in Nigeria. But this time, i need it because, i'll be going to Nigeria with my family, and some need Nigerian visas; so i need the passport to enhance visa application. And besides, i booked our December trip tickets which cost over 3.500 euros with the Nigeria passport and the number hence i need this very passport badly.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 07, 2009
^^ not really.

Did you have to send the passport to Nigeria in order to get a Nigerian visa? Why didnt you use the Nigerian consulate closest to you?

anyway, I dont know much about these matters, but maybe if you make an example out of the people involved, it will send a mesage to others or something.

good luck.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 6:21pm On Nov 08, 2009
tpia.:

^^ not really.

Did you have to send the passport to Nigeria in order to get a Nigerian visa? Why didnt you use the Nigerian consulate closest to you?

anyway, I dont know much about these matters, but maybe if you make an example out of the people involved, it will send a mesage to others or something.

good luck.

I just wish you're reading between the lines.
I explained that i do not use the Nigerian P in Europe because, i have an EU P hence the Nigerian P was kept in Nigeria; and that i needed it this time to enhance Nigerian visa application for some of my family members with EU P.
The passport was in Nigeria, and i instructed it be sent to me because i intended to use it for visa application for my family members and for my trip to Nigeria: The postage was supposed to be from Nigeria to Ireland not vice-versa
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by phuckNL: 12:07am On Nov 09, 2009
I wonder what it would have cost you to simply hold on to your passport. The whole thing seems/smells shady.
Is it too much for you to hold on to your Nigerian passport. Why leave it in Nigeria. You are not the first dual citizen nah.
Every other dual citizen that i know holds on to his/her passport[b]s[/b]
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by simplychic(f): 1:43pm On Nov 09, 2009
Nairalanders please free this guy whatever he is doing with his own passport is no ones business the fact is that UPS is unreliable.they did the same thing to me and my sister and that was why we couldn't meet the September admission you wont believe that after collecting 13k from me all my credentials got missing thank God my original certificate was not there but every other thing i sent got missing. A m looking forward to January session now but i dare not use UPS I'd rather use DHL
Guys if you have something important to send please dont use UPS in Nigeria o!
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by phuckNL: 1:59pm On Nov 09, 2009
simplychic:

Nairalanders please free this guy whatever he is doing with his own passport is no ones business the fact is that UPS is unreliable.they did the same thing to me and my sister and that was why we couldn't meet the September admission you wont believe that after collecting 13k from me all my credentials got missing thank God my original certificate was not there but every other thing i sent got missing. A m looking forward to January session now but i dare not use UPS I'd rather use DHL
Guys if you have something important to send please dont use UPS in Nigeria o!

@the bolded.
Here's where you are wrong:
It is everyones business. It wouldn't have been if he didn't POST THE FREAKING THING ON HERE.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top Tech Startups In Nigeria / 5 Profitable Business To Try Out In This Season. / Cold-room Business: Any Ideas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.