Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,601 members, 7,801,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? (1129 Views)

I Ate A Ram Have I Sinned? / Jesus Is Coming Soon: Devout Muslim Man Reveals Angel Of God Appeared To Him / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by Rossikk(m): 4:28am On Nov 12, 2016
Yahweh appears as a man to Abraham along with two angels, and even sits down To A Meal!!

Genesis 18:1-33

And the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men stood in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the earth, and said, ‘My lord, if I have found favor in your sight, do not pass by your servant. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree, while I fetch a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on--since you have come to your servant.' So they said, 'Do as you have said.'

And Abraham hastened into the tent to Sarah, and said, 'Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes.' And Abraham ran to the herd, and took a calf, tender and good, and gave it to the servant, who hastened to prepare it. Then he took curds, and milk, and the calf which he had prepared, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree while they ate. They said to him, 'Where is Sarah your wife?' And he said, 'She is in the tent.' The LORD said, 'I will surely return to you in the spring, and Sarah your wife shall have a son.' And Sarah was listening at the tent door behind him. Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in age; it had ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women. So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, 'After I have grown old, and my husband is old, shall I have pleasure?'

The LORD said to Abraham, 'Why did Sarah laugh, and say, "Shall I indeed bear a child, now that I am old?" Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, in the spring, and Sarah shall have a son.' But Sarah denied, saying, 'I did not laugh'; for she was afraid. He said, 'No, but you did laugh.' Then the men set out from there, and they looked toward Sodom; and Abraham went with them to set them on their way. The LORD said, ‘Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, seeing that Abraham shall become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall bless themselves by him? No, for I have chosen him, that he may charge his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice; so that the LORD may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.'

Then the LORD said, 'Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave, I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry which has come to me; and if not, I will know.' So the men turned from there, and went toward Sodom; but Abraham still stood before the LORD. Then Abraham drew near, and said, 'Wilt thou indeed destroy the righteous with the wicked? Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; wilt thou then destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous who are in it? Far be it from thee to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked!

Far be that from thee! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?' And the LORD said, 'If I find at Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I will spare the whole place for their sake.' Abraham answered, 'Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes. Suppose five of the fifty righteous are lacking? Wilt thou destroy the whole city for lack of five?' And he said, 'I will not destroy it if I find forty-five there.' Again he spoke to him, and said, 'Suppose forty are found there.' He answered, 'For the sake of forty I will not do it.' Then he said, 'Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak. Suppose thirty are found there.' He answered, 'I will not do it, if I find thirty there.' He said, 'Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord. Suppose twenty are found there.' He answered, 'For the sake of twenty I will not destroy it.' Then he said, 'Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak again but this once. Suppose ten are found there.' He answered, 'For the sake of ten I will not destroy it.' And the LORD went his way, when he had finished speaking to Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place.” Genesis 18:1-33

Here we have Yahweh eating food as a man and having human feet that could be washed without ceasing to be God! That one of the three men was Yahweh in human appearance can be easily demonstrated by the fact that although the above citation says that the men headed towards Sodom Yahweh remained with Abraham and only left sometime afterwards. This means that we should expect to find that only two men showed up to Sodom at first since the third man, Yahweh, stood behind with Abraham.

Lo and behold this is precisely what we learn from the very next chapter!

“The two angels came to Sodom in the evening; and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them, and bowed himself with his face to the earth, and said, ‘My lords, turn aside, I pray you, to your servant's house and spend the night, and wash your feet; then you may rise up early and go on your way.’ They said, ‘No; we will spend the night in the street.' But he urged them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house; and he made them a feast, and baked unleavened bread, and they ate. But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house; and they called to Lot, ‘Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them.’” Genesis 19:1-5

Only two men initially showed up at Sodom, since the third man stayed behind to converse with Abraham. It is here that we discover that two of the men were angels. Thus, we have 'God' and two angels showing up as men!

http://www.answering-islam.org/authors/shamoun/god_as_man.html
Re: The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by Rossikk(m): 4:33am On Nov 12, 2016
Going by the above story, it is entirely possible that the last person you spoke to today was in fact..... God. Perhaps a girl you are currently chasing, even nacking, is actually...God.
Re: The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by femi4: 5:27am On Nov 12, 2016
That is why they described God as the "God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. They also found it difficult to stomach when Jesus said that he is greater than Abraham.
Re: The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by eezeribe(m): 6:05am On Nov 12, 2016
Wetin concern you
Re: The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by MuttleyLaff: 9:12am On Nov 12, 2016
Rossikk:
[size=4pt]Yahweh appears as a man to Abraham along with two angels, and even sits down To A Meal!!

Genesis 18:1-33

And the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men stood in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the earth, and said, ‘My lord, if I have found favor in your sight, do not pass by your servant. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree, while I fetch a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on--since you have come to your servant.' So they said, 'Do as you have said.'

And Abraham hastened into the tent to Sarah, and said, 'Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes.' And Abraham ran to the herd, and took a calf, tender and good, and gave it to the servant, who hastened to prepare it. Then he took curds, and milk, and the calf which he had prepared, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree while they ate. They said to him, 'Where is Sarah your wife?' And he said, 'She is in the tent.' The LORD said, 'I will surely return to you in the spring, and Sarah your wife shall have a son.' And Sarah was listening at the tent door behind him. Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in age; it had ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women. So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, 'After I have grown old, and my husband is old, shall I have pleasure?'

The LORD said to Abraham, 'Why did Sarah laugh, and say, "Shall I indeed bear a child, now that I am old?" Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, in the spring, and Sarah shall have a son.' But Sarah denied, saying, 'I did not laugh'; for she was afraid. He said, 'No, but you did laugh.' Then the men set out from there, and they looked toward Sodom; and Abraham went with them to set them on their way. The LORD said, ‘Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, seeing that Abraham shall become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall bless themselves by him? No, for I have chosen him, that he may charge his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice; so that the LORD may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.'

Then the LORD said, 'Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave, I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry which has come to me; and if not, I will know.' So the men turned from there, and went toward Sodom; but Abraham still stood before the LORD. Then Abraham drew near, and said, 'Wilt thou indeed destroy the righteous with the wicked? Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; wilt thou then destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous who are in it? Far be it from thee to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked!

Far be that from thee! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?' And the LORD said, 'If I find at Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I will spare the whole place for their sake.' Abraham answered, 'Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes. Suppose five of the fifty righteous are lacking? Wilt thou destroy the whole city for lack of five?' And he said, 'I will not destroy it if I find forty-five there.' Again he spoke to him, and said, 'Suppose forty are found there.' He answered, 'For the sake of forty I will not do it.' Then he said, 'Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak. Suppose thirty are found there.' He answered, 'I will not do it, if I find thirty there.' He said, 'Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord. Suppose twenty are found there.' He answered, 'For the sake of twenty I will not destroy it.' Then he said, 'Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak again but this once. Suppose ten are found there.' He answered, 'For the sake of ten I will not destroy it.' And the LORD went his way, when he had finished speaking to Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place.” Genesis 18:1-33

Here we have Yahweh eating food as a man and having human feet that could be washed without ceasing to be God! That one of the three men was Yahweh in human appearance can be easily demonstrated by the fact that although the above citation says that the men headed towards Sodom Yahweh remained with Abraham and only left sometime afterwards. This means that we should expect to find that only two men showed up to Sodom at first since the third man, Yahweh, stood behind with Abraham.

Lo and behold this is precisely what we learn from the very next chapter!

“The two angels came to Sodom in the evening; and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them, and bowed himself with his face to the earth, and said, ‘My lords, turn aside, I pray you, to your servant's house and spend the night, and wash your feet; then you may rise up early and go on your way.’ They said, ‘No; we will spend the night in the street.' But he urged them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house; and he made them a feast, and baked unleavened bread, and they ate. But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house; and they called to Lot, ‘Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them.’” Genesis 19:1-5

Only two men initially showed up at Sodom, since the third man stayed behind to converse with Abraham. It is here that we discover that two of the men were angels. Thus, we have 'God' and two angels showing up as men!

h t tp://www.answering-islam.org/authors/shamoun/god_as_man.html[/size]

Rossikk:
Going by the above story, it is entirely possible that the last person you spoke to today was in fact..... God
Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it
- Hebrews 13:2
It is possible, such person could an angel(s) or God

Rossikk:
Perhaps a girl you are currently chasing, even nacking, is actually...God.
Reminds me of the CBS Network ''Joan of Arcadia'' TV series back in the day
Only exception, in this Rossikk comment, is that no man can ever nack God, whether God to be incognito or not.
Re: The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by Rossikk(m): 4:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
MuttleyLaff:

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it
- Hebrews 13:2
It is possible, such person could an angel(s) or God

Reminds me of the CBS Network ''Joan of Arcadia'' TV series back in the day
Only exception, in this Rossikk comment, is that no man can ever nack God, whether God to be incognito or not.
But if God appeared as a man and ate a meal with someone in a tent, he can equally appear as a woman and get f**cked in someone's tent, no?
Re: The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by MuttleyLaff: 6:37pm On Nov 13, 2016
Rossikk:
But if God appeared as a man and ate a meal with someone in a tent,
he can equally appear as a woman and get f**cked in someone's tent, no?
Yes, God can appear as a man or as a woman because God is, I AM THAT I AM, I AM WHO I AM, I AM WHO I SHALL BE, I SHALL BE WHO I SHALL BE etcetera,
However the truth, fact and reality of this matter, is that, whatever gender God appears in,
any attempt of physical intimacy with God
or any other offensively presumptuous and inappropriate behaviour towards God will be counter met,
with the crossed-the-line perpetrator getting struck with swift & unequivocal blindness, period.

Buddy, God is love and doesnt do fcuks nor needs or wants anything like that
One needs to take cue from Psalm 119:103 below & desire to be physically intimate with the word of God instead of physically intimate with God

How sweet are thy words unto my taste!
yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

- Psalm 119:103 KJV
Re: The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by Rossikk(m): 8:47am On Nov 14, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Yes, God can appear as a man or as a woman because God is, I AM THAT I AM, I AM WHO I AM, I AM WHO I SHALL BE, I SHALL BE WHO I SHALL BE etcetera,
However the truth, fact and reality of this matter, is that, whatever gender God appears in,
any attempt of physical intimacy with God
or any other offensively presumptuous and inappropriate behaviour towards God will be counter met,
with the crossed-the-line perpetrator getting struck with swift & unequivocal blindness, period.

Buddy, God is love and doesnt do fcuks nor needs or wants anything like that
One needs to take cue from Psalm 119:103 below & desire to be physically intimate with the word of God instead of physically intimate with God

How sweet are thy words unto my taste!
yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

- Psalm 119:103 KJV
You cannot make up your own rules for the bible God. That he appeared as an ordinary human eating a meal in a tent suggests he could equally appear as a woman having sex in a hotel. There is nothing in the texts obviating this logic. You also seem to be setting a limit on your God's abilities. If he is 'God' surely he can do anything, including have sex as a human? He after all, invented the very art of sex, so why should he be allergic to it?
Re: The Old Testament 'God' Appeared As a Man And Ate A Meal In A Tent?? by MuttleyLaff: 10:24am On Nov 14, 2016
Rossikk:
You cannot make up your own rules for the bible God. That he appeared as an ordinary human eating a meal in a tent suggests he could equally appear as a woman having sex in a hotel
I 've already agreed with you that God can appear as a man or as a woman because God is, I AM THAT I AM, I AM WHO I AM, I AM WHO I SHALL BE, I SHALL BE WHO I SHALL BE etcetera.
What more do you want?
You want me to go further along with you that God is or can be physically sex starved to want or need to have physical sex?
To what end or purpose will God need to have physical sex with humans? Biko, please explain

Rossikk:
There is nothing in the texts obviating this logic
1That evening the two angels came to the entrance of the city of Sodom. Lot was sitting there, and when he saw them, he stood up to meet them. Then he welcomed them and bowed with his face to the ground.
2“My lords,” he said, “come to my home to wash your feet, and be my guests for the night. You may then get up early in the morning and be on your way again.”
“Oh no,” they replied. “We’ll just spend the night out here in the city square.”
3But Lot insisted, so at last they went home with him. Lot prepared a feast for them, complete with fresh bread made without yeast, and they ate.
4But before they retired for the night, all the men of Sodom, young and old, came from all over the city and surrounded the house.
5They shouted to Lot, “Where are the men who came to spend the night with you? Bring them out to us so we can have sex with them!”
6So Lot stepped outside to talk to them, shutting the door behind him.
7“Please, my brothers,” he begged, “don’t do such a wicked thing.
8Look, I have two virgin daughters. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do with them as you wish. But please, leave these men alone, for they are my guests and are under my protection.”
9“Stand back!” they shouted. “This fellow came to town as an outsider, and now he’s acting like our judge!
We’ll treat you far worse than those other men!” And they lunged toward Lot to break down the door.
10But the two angels reached out, pulled Lot into the house, and bolted the door.
11Then they blinded all the men, young and old, who were at the door of the house, so they gave up trying to get inside.

- Genesis 19:1-11

The text that obviates this crazy logic of yours, is found in the above Genesis 19:1-11 narrative
The blindness in Genesis 19:11, is the first instalment price for trying to fvck with angels,
I shudder what the payback would have been if it was at God
those rascals and misfits tried it with

Rossikk:
You also seem to be setting a limit on your God's abilities.
If he is 'God' surely he can do anything, including have sex as a human?
He after all, invented the very art of sex, so why should he be allergic to it?
God is not allergic to sex, God encourages having appropriate sexual relationships, afterall just as you said, God invented the very art of love making

When God appears as a man or as a woman, it is with or in a glorious body form
and that body form cannot and will not have sexual relationship with man
because it will be an aberration from God's command in Genesis 1:28

(1) (Reply)

Japanese Are Ancient Israelites, Too. They Are Brothers To Bantus. / The Earliest British Man Had Black Skin And Blue Eyes, Anthropologists Find / 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.