Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,600 members, 7,801,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me (60310 Views)

Yakubu Nataala Is Dead! Kogi Polytechnic Lecturer Slumps, Dies Over Non-Payment / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by dewale1234(m): 6:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hello House

Is there any school that accepts HND + PGDE(NTI) for an M.Ed admission?

Thank you
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ObadakiM: 6:03pm On Nov 21, 2016
I think you don't need to pass through the journey of going back to start all over(but if you have the time & money, U can jump on the train).
For me you can go for your pgd in Mass comm, then go for your Msc after that go for your PhD, but ensure that all your qualifications are in the same field. Also, before you complete your PhD ensure that you have papers you have published. I bet you with your PhD and your publications, Universities 'll beg you to come lecture ("but ensure you know your course as the back of your hand").
I have a friend who pass through this process and he his lecturing in one of the Federal Universities.

However, if you still insist in going to the University, you can try UNISA and complete your degree within a year (online) and it's a recognized degree (I have a friend who used the degree to further his Msc in UNILAG).
Well, with all the ideas given above you have lots of options to pick from. Good luck

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ajimuby: 6:03pm On Nov 21, 2016
some people and can lie/discourage/say nonsense in africa......if you know people even if you don't buh your result is good you can lecture.....dre are plenty hnd holders lecturing in kadpoly don't mind dose discouraging / saying rubbish
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Fxwarrior: 6:05pm On Nov 21, 2016
na2016:
At 42 with only an HND, I strongly think you are too old to start a lecturing career in a University. I have very good reasons to tell you not to waste your money and time.

Shut up. Thank me later.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ekesol: 6:07pm On Nov 21, 2016
ajimuby:
some people and can lie/discourage/say nonsense in africa......if you know people even if you don't buh your result is good you can lecture.....dre are plenty hnd holders lecturing in kadpoly don't mind dose discouraging / saying rubbish

Bros Kaduna Poly is not a university.
Please don't embrace and spread Ignorance
Be careful

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Duru009(m): 6:11pm On Nov 21, 2016
Go back to school bro....

Go get ur University degree + masters degree.... .

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by kingofabia: 6:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
My honest advice..instead of doing a B.sc all over again.. take that money and go to the UK..u will do a top up...it will convert your HND to B.sc.... then u can even proceed for a masters sharp sharp..... you can call 09093659482 or visit any PFL office for more info
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by afamaustin(m): 6:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
someone will faint hereoooo
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by kunlex445(m): 6:21pm On Nov 21, 2016
This thread is educating and insightful, I have really learnt a lot from this great thread.

I really appreciate the efforts of those who contributed here.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by afm4ever(m): 6:24pm On Nov 21, 2016
very insightful post I tell you have learnt alot
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Richard215: 6:31pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hmmmmm too many questions but if indeed you are in this situation then start with getting more degrees attached to what you have already, then let the you will know what next..

Check out this link its pretty awesome
http://thescroll.reportsafrique.com/2016/10/13/tips-start-business/
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 6:37pm On Nov 21, 2016
ade2008:

I'm in the system, working in a polytechnic, state owned. This is not hearsay, assumption, direct experience. With HND you can only be employed as a technologist or instructor(high cgpa). Note lecturer cadre is different from instructor cadre. I repeat, in Nigeria, no university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Many lecturers in the polytechnic with HND+PGD+MSC are now going back for degree so that can they have the opportunity to work in the university. Gone are the days HND are employed as instructor in the university and rise to be a professor. OP, my advice for you, if you really want to work in academics settings get the degree, and then your master. Dont go through the PGD+MSC path especially if you wish to work later as a reaseacher(lecturer) in the university. You will surely need the degree. This information is from a reliable source, i'm one of the victim of this abnormal system in this country. Be wise in your decision, dont waste your money and time. We are in the same age bracket, age is not a barrier to achieve your dream but take wise decision now. If you've academic Godfather you can neglect this advice. Goodluck
God bless u sir for this nice writeup. Am an educational consultant and I tell people this. I know both university and polytechnic system and am always present if they are interviewing people for lecturing job. God bless u ones a gain. You just thrash it out.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by oluwamitomisin: 6:48pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nwaonyeocha: You should really listen to this man. In fact befriend him already

ade2008:

I'm in the system, working in a polytechnic, state owned. This is not hearsay, assumption, direct experience. With HND you can only be employed as a technologist or instructor(high cgpa). Note lecturer cadre is different from instructor cadre. I repeat, in Nigeria, no university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Many lecturers in the polytechnic with HND+PGD+MSC are now going back for degree so that can they have the opportunity to work in the university. Gone are the days HND are employed as instructor in the university and rise to be a professor. OP, my advice for you, if you really want to work in academics settings get the degree, and then your master. Dont go through the PGD+MSC path especially if you wish to work later as a reaseacher(lecturer) in the university. You will surely need the degree. This information is from a reliable source, i'm one of the victim of this abnormal system in this country. Be wise in your decision, dont waste your money and time. We are in the same age bracket, age is not a barrier to achieve your dream but take wise decision now. If you've academic Godfather you can neglect this advice. Goodluck
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Rebuke: 6:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
tobiasbeecher:

Yes people have really answered your question very well. As an addendum, just go for your BSc because no university, I repeat no university will employ you as a lecturer even if you have bagged your PhD as long as your first degree is HND. Yes as someone said, MBA is a professional master's degree, hence it is not accepted for lecturing. Just do your BSc Business Administration, MSc Business Administration and you're good to go. You can also enroll for your ICAN while doing your BSc, it will improve your chances. Goodluck

Just a quick question. Does your BSc grade matter? Let's assume your PGD result is good, does your BSc result still count when it comes to lecturing job?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by STARGREEN(m): 6:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
The picture you created is too glaring to ignore.

Learning a wonderful thing. Whenever great minds meet, there is a rob off. I never knew MBA has nothing to do academically. B.Sc, here I come!

Wise Decision. Its never too late to get back to the right line. Remember to seek God's direction as well as human advises are limited

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 6:50pm On Nov 21, 2016
ANDREW2EIC:

You can check out University of Uyo. I currently have a course mate who joined us in 300level with Distinction in HND, and his performances have been excellent. Your chances of graduating with a first class is very high if you actually know your stuff.

Sir, I have upper credit, hope am safe?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by STARGREEN(m): 6:53pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nobleking2000:

Thanks for the insights but can one use his OND result to enrol into the university through direct entry instead of starting from the scratch.
Yes
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 6:58pm On Nov 21, 2016
Scholar8200:
Sir, how acceptable is a NOUN B.Sc?
u better don't try it
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by STARGREEN(m): 6:59pm On Nov 21, 2016
kingofabia:
My honest advice..instead of doing a B.sc all over again.. take that money and go to the UK..u will do a top up...it will convert your HND to B.sc.... then u can even proceed for a masters sharp sharp..... you can call 09093659482 or visit any PFL office for more info
Presently without B.Sc as his basic...he might not reach his lecturing dream in Nigeria universities

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 6:59pm On Nov 21, 2016
Carmal90:
Am also considering going for bsc next year all things be equal, I studied engineering,pls if u have clues if university in Nigeria Within South West that I can apply and be admitted to 300level. Pls and pls hint me
none will admit u into 300l
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Krossbow123: 6:59pm On Nov 21, 2016
I share the same dream as U OP, and I equally have HND. I have chartered certificates and MBA. After series of embarrassment and harassment, I went back for Bsc. MY candid advice is forget any short cut (PGD) and start from scratch.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by MAKABBEY(m): 7:01pm On Nov 21, 2016
Pls guys, how many years is master program, usman danfodio university master program is out. I want to no the duration b4 I apply
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 7:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
Olanna45:

Pls sir, what is the tutition fee for the part time?
You can try that of osun state university. currently on sale. tank me later
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Scholar8200(m): 7:04pm On Nov 21, 2016
fineyemi:
u better don't try it
Thanks a lot.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by MAKABBEY(m): 7:08pm On Nov 21, 2016
MAKABBEY:
Pls guys, how many years is master program, usman danfodio university master program is out. I want to no the duration b4 I apply
Pls ans, it urgent
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 7:09pm On Nov 21, 2016
shehuolayinka:

Truly sir, you just made my day. Learnt a lot from your story. Thanks sir
Do you think going to NOUN or Unilag DLI would be OK? I also have HND in Mass Communication.
Unilag DLI is very OK. drop the idea of Noun
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by july66: 7:10pm On Nov 21, 2016
ade2008:

No university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Even to be employed in a polytechnic the PGD should be in the core field(mass comm not in education+ MSC. Academic carreer for HND is very narrow , you can only work as a technologist, so my advice is obtain a degree if you're passionate about working in academic as lecturer. I'm a senior technologist working in a polytechnic , speaking from experience
That is not correct. With an HND, you are taking as instructor in both polytechnic or university. Once you do a 9 months Pgd program, you become at per with the degree & then you can go for higher degree. I had an instructor during undergraduate days. He went for his Pgd in another university while we were still there. When I browsed details about my old school earlier this year, he was already a prof. I am not guessing, but this is what happened. But let me agree with you that the Pgd must be in the course where you have the HND or options of the course.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by spice123(m): 7:10pm On Nov 21, 2016
Laryne:

Please I need your advise as well. Can I apply for a lecturing job in a polytechnic with my B.A (Ed) certificate?
yes of course you can. Even some colleges of Education will gladly accept you.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 7:12pm On Nov 21, 2016
Scholar8200:
Thanks a lot.
u are welcome
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 7:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
fineyemi:
none will admit u into 300l

Pls tell me d one dat will, pls sir
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 7:18pm On Nov 21, 2016
fineyemi:
You can try that of osun state university. currently on sale. tank me later

Any clue on fees?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Male Graduate Sells Food In Anambra After His Deportation From South Africa. Pic / Meet Malam Abba Gandu From Kano, Who Has Been Feeding Lions For The Pass 50yrs / Sleep With Me Or I Fire You - My Female Boss.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.