Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka (36656 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Oretunlewa Soyinka Marries Nneka Ekechukwu, Igbo Girl (Pre-Wedding Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2016
The US based Nigerian professor, Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has reaffirmed his decision to exit the United States of America following the election of the Republican candidate, Donald Trump in the recently concluded presidential elections in the United States of America.

Soyinka however did not disclose when he intends to quit America but stated that his decision was informed out of fear for what may likely happen to minority Americans should Donald Trump decides to live by the sentiments he harboured during his campaign period.

In his recent article, Soyinka envisaged Trump’s America as non-conducive for minority migrants and therefore opted to leave on temperamental grounds.

‘’The answers to all the foregoing can be summed up in a familiar expression: a life of environmental sanitation, or call it – sanity.

‘’My temperament requires a certain minimum level of environmental health to function properly. I use the word ’temperament’ as a historical fact, a personality development that first manifested itself all the way back to student days, and has remained consistent all my life’’ he said.

According to him ‘’I was in New York during the run-up to elections. I watched this face, its body language, listened to his uncouth, racist language, his imbecillic harangues, the insults to other peoples, other races, especially the Hispanics, Africans and Afro-Americans, even citing once – I was told – Nigeria as an instance of the burdensome occupation of global space.

‘’I watched and listened, disbelievingly, since this was America, supposedly now freed to a large extent – as we like to believe and have a right to expect – from its lamentable history of racism.

He however said that his major concern was not only with the president-elect but his teaming followers‘

’But I saw, not only this would-be president but – enthusing followers on populist a populist roll at the expense of minorities’’ he said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/why-i-m-leaving-usa-soyinka/171390.html

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by mightyhazel: 8:05pm On Nov 12, 2016
I still gat lots of respect for prof.

Even tho he contributed largely 2 this 'change' we r seeing and bearing in the country!

Respect for some of the things he stood for in his youthful age.... Just can't be wiped out cos of a few senile failings of late cool

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by richidinho(m): 8:07pm On Nov 12, 2016
Why is soyinka disturbing people upandan?

We've heard of great men in this world, is this how they behaved before they died?

Isaac Newton
Michael Faraday
Yaw Ababio
Mungo park

Why our thing dey always dey different grin

Soyinka kor .... Soyabeans ni

118 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nightie(f): 9:33pm On Nov 12, 2016
richidinho:
Why is soyinka disturbing people upandan

We've heard of great men in this world, is this how they behaved before they died?

Isaac Newton
Michael Faraday
Yaw Ababio
Mungo park

Why our thing dey always dey different grin

lol. i tire o

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by lifestyle1(m): 6:27am On Nov 13, 2016
See grammer. He speak English pass oyinbo sef grin

Abeg guys support my girl on Instagram by liking her twerk dance video to help her win. Check link on my signature.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by LEOSIRSIR(m): 6:27am On Nov 13, 2016
Welcome back
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by 21Savagw: 6:27am On Nov 13, 2016
Just Shut the fvck up and get out of my country...New York could use one less Idiot...Buhari asslicker.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nateben(m): 6:28am On Nov 13, 2016
cheesy

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by BobUg28(m): 6:28am On Nov 13, 2016
Its amazing how most Nigerians act sometimes. They tend to make out problem from what seemed not to be one. Trump said he will evict migrants from the states if elected the US president in one of his campaign promise.

Common sense should have informed Prof that such comments from Trump is a calculated gimmicks to garner the votes of most American Racists.

We agree that Trump is uncouth, radical and name it.. but that's was what sailed him. Remember, this was his first time in the game of politics, he need to make controversial statements that will leave his name in the lips of most Americans .

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by NaijaFutbol: 6:28am On Nov 13, 2016
Masquerade job, you no go get o. Lol

On a more serious not, na just the green card tearing ceremony I dey wait for.

Somehow, I think Trump will not be sworn in as president.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by ehisbay(m): 6:28am On Nov 13, 2016
Earnestly waiting for you
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by repogirl(f): 6:28am On Nov 13, 2016
This man is making too much noise jare....just leave already.

17 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by pacino26(m): 6:29am On Nov 13, 2016
As if a priest is aware that a choir member didn't come to church.

How does his decision affect the economy of the American people or his native home in Nigeria?

15 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by veekid(m): 6:29am On Nov 13, 2016
Baba make we hear word jor

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by neolboy(m): 6:29am On Nov 13, 2016
All eyes on you prof
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Histrings08(m): 6:29am On Nov 13, 2016
Baba has spoken

2 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Haphard(m): 6:29am On Nov 13, 2016
ahbeg dey cum naija jare

2 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by hemucology(m): 6:29am On Nov 13, 2016
I still dey watch

Still on P. O. See my signatures OK
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by cutecynic: 6:29am On Nov 13, 2016
now you are free not to burn ur us residence permit. I agree with u on this one, the jagaban prof.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 13, 2016
Prof you can go and hug grin

The thing pain am no be small...8years of no income in USD.

6 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by softmind24: 6:30am On Nov 13, 2016
1, 2 go into vs yoruba

Start the e-war
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 13, 2016
Do we care?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by nedu2000(m): 6:31am On Nov 13, 2016
stories..
have you torn your greencard, yes or no?

2 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 13, 2016
According to him ‘’I was in New York during the run-up to elections. I watched this face, its body language, listened to his uncouth, racist language, his imbecillic harangues, the insults to other peoples, other races, especially the Hispanics, Africans and Afro-Americans, even citing once – I was told – Nigeria as an instance of the burdensome occupation of global space.

‘’I watched and listened, disbelievingly, since this was America, supposedly now freed to a large extent – as we like to believe and have a right to expect – from its lamentable history of racism.

He however said that his major concern was not only with the president-elect but his teaming followers‘

’But I saw, not only this would-be president but – enthusing followers on populist a populist roll at the expense of minorities’’ he said.
Dude I give it to you on your ability to play with words but hey! You shouldn't touch politics with a barge pole cos you always make a mockery of yourself.
Just like the typical Yoruba, dude is a two faced double-speak loudmouthed mor.on who chickens out when the chips are down.
Just got take a look at what he said above, it represents exactly what he helped to foister on Nigerians then he used his privilege to run off to utopia. Who does that? Pls don't come home, bugger off to the UK

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by omoadeleye(m): 6:31am On Nov 13, 2016
safe journey baba

1 Like

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by AlexCk: 6:31am On Nov 13, 2016
Mr Soyinka sir,
Truth be told, we have our own issues too, u dont see us "yapping" upandan about it. We really don't care whether u stay or leave oo,

Trump no even sabi u, u wan die ontop him matter, smh

Lol

15 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by pritykate(f): 6:32am On Nov 13, 2016
Green card he no tear, US he no leave grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by HolyHero: 6:32am On Nov 13, 2016
Trump is gonna end the world.. we're all gonna die

5 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 6:32am On Nov 13, 2016
..perhaps we shall wake up one day ..when only the wealthy can afford mbytes to post on nairaland grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Frabjous(m): 6:33am On Nov 13, 2016
Story story
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by moshino(m): 6:33am On Nov 13, 2016
mightyhazel:
I still gat lots of respect for prof.

Even tho he contributed largely 2 this 'change' we r seeing and bearing in the country!

Respect for some of the things he stood for in his youthful age.... Just can't be wiped out cos of a few senile failings of late cool

You said SENILE, in what perspective do you associate Prof Wole Soyinka with the word/expression "SENILE"?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Life In Secondary School / Rain / Kanu: The Journal Of A Rogue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.