Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results (848 Views)

Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections / Serious Tension In America As Obama Orders Investigation Into Election Results / Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results; Revot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results by Danfuster(m): 9:39pm On Nov 13, 2016
WASHINGTON, D.C. (AP) — Following the results of Tuesday night’s election, President Obama has signed Executive Order 13805, which orders a full recount of all votes cast in the election and calls for a special election to be held on December 19th. Obama signed the order in response to the concerns of thousands of voters across the country who said that they were prevented from casting a ballot on election day, too many absentee ballots have not been found or counted, equipment failures, as well as concerns that some members of the electoral college may have acted unethically.

“People all over the country have been flooding my office with calls, telling my staff of horror stories about being harassed and intimidated by poll workers,” Obama told reporters. “Many have even said that they were flat out denied entry into the voting booths to cast their ballots if they were wearing a Hillary Clinton shirt or other signs showing support for her as President. This was especially bad in areas of Florida and North Carolina where there are high numbers of Latino and African American voters. We must investigate these claims. The margin of victory is too close to call, and the outcome of this election is too important. There is just too many legal challenges in too many states to just call this a victory for Trump.”

Under the President’s order, the votes cast in all precincts nationwide will be recounted, and all poll workers who took part in Tuesday’s election will be subjected to strict background checks. This process is expected to take 30 days. In precincts where the Department of Justice has cause to believe that voter suppression has occurred, new elections will be held on Dec. 19th, with those results being used to help determine who will represent the individual states in the electoral college.

Not surprisingly, Donald Trump is not happy with the president’s decision.

“Crooked Hillary lost this election fair and square. They tried to rig this election against me, but the American people didn’t allow that to happen. President Obama doesn’t care about what the American people want. I said the system was rigged all along, and this proves I was right.”

The president also said that the DOJ will be taking a close look at the members of the electoral college.

“We have received information from a very reliable source that suggests there may have been some collusion between the members of the electoral college and poll workers in certain swing states. We still need to investigate these claims, but if they are true, we will take all the appropriate actions necessary.”

Paul Horner, a professor of political science at UCLA, believes that the issues with the electoral college run much deeper that this election.

“Most people feel that it is their right as citizens to pick the president of the United States, but there is nothing in the constitution that says that. Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by more than 200,000 votes, but because of the electoral college, she still lost. That decision is reserved solely for the 538 electors who meet in their respective states on December 19th. What the people are actually voting for are their states’ electors, not for the President. Though the system is odd and unfair, it has persisted because many insist that it works just fine as it is, with the winner of the popular and electoral vote usually matching. That does not mean, however, that it will continue to work just fine in the future. The way the system is set up could cause it to malfunction in some potentially terrifying ways, this recent election being one of them.”

Political Analyst Matt Daemon told ABC News that he agrees with the President’s Executive Order and said that he would like to see the electoral college done away with altogether.

“[The electoral college] is a f—king joke; we should be using the popular vote instead. It may have made sense in 1788, but so did the three fifths compromise. Everyone should have an equal vote, and that’s just not the case with the electoral college. You know what the electoral college gave us? It gave us George W. Bush. It gave us a war in Iraq, and the worst recession since the great depression. It’s time to bring our system into the 21st century. I hope Obama fixes this, because president Trump is going to be a nightmare.”

Obama finished up the press conference explaining his plans for moving forward.

“We’re going to investigate the FBI into their role in all of this,” Obama said. “Why did FBI director James Comey on Sunday say that the agency is not recommending charges against Clinton after reviewing all of her emails; declaring Hillary Clinton a free women conveniently just one day before the election? Why wasn’t this news released earlier? How many votes were lost because of this?” Obama said. “If all of these questions cannot be answered by our deadline set in December, a recount will be ordered.”

If you have any questions about the recount or the special December 19th election, you can call the Obama administration’s special election hotline at (785) 273-0325.

Source: http://abcnews.com.co/obama-signs-executive-order-declaring-investigation-of-election-results/

Cc: Lalasticlala, mynd44, Seun

Re: Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results by Danfuster(m): 9:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
This is Interesting
Re: Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results by meezynetwork(m): 9:51pm On Nov 13, 2016
impossible
Re: Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results by Danfuster(m): 9:58pm On Nov 13, 2016
meezynetwork:
impossible

Sounds like it until it's done. One begins to think our electoral system isn't so bad... Except for the thugry and violence.
Re: Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 13, 2016
Danfuster:

Source: http://abcnews.com.co/obama-signs-executive-order-declaring-investigation-of-election-results/

Cc: Lalasticlala, mynd44
I've said it before and I'm saying it again. American integrity has been compromised. Things have never got so messy, especially on security and electoral process. This election could mean the end of America as a sovereign state. Trump was quite smarter and he did play his 'TRUMP CARD' very smartly. Anyone who understands this idiom would know what I mean...''to play one's trump card''. Trump has got the money and influence. He had studied the weak point of america in elections, right from the primary by becoming the nominee of a majority party by defeating the key and more qualified candidates, despite his blabbing in the media during campaigns. If the ballots are recounted and another election is held in Dec., then it means American empire is nearing it's end. How could there have been equipment failures? How could people have been de-enfranchised in the first place? America used to be a land of freedom...freedom to vote, freedom to speech, etc...why should some people threaten to harm supporters of another candidate, de-barring them from going to the booth to cast their ballots? That's intimidation! It has never happened before in America. We only hear of such here in Nigeria. Something certainly went wrong somewhere. I hope deeper investigations into the whole matter would be carried out and culprits be severely dealt with. Obama only outsmarted them in both elections that brought him into the white house else, they'd have succeeded in slapping him in the face the way they did to al-gore and hilary. GOP is American PDP.
Re: Obama Signs Executive Order Declaring Investigation Into Election Results by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 13, 2016
Danfuster:

Sounds like it until it's done. One begins to think our electoral system isn't so bad... Except for the thugry and violence.
I concur with you. Our electoral system would have been the est, save the thuggery and electoral violence that always greet the system. It's a shame on US for allowing this mess to recur. They did same to favour bush but it was swept under the carpet to allow peace to reign.

(1) (Reply)

South Korea Court Dismisses President. / Riots In Sweden After Politician Burned Quran In Public; 40 Arrested / I Am An Israelite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.