Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,806 members, 7,806,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) (26844 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Soyinka: "I Will Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Inauguration Day" / "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 14, 2016
I don't blame them because Nigeria is very appalling to stay undecided.....when you can get greener pastures over there than this stupid country undecided
hahn:

Why should they?

Their ancestors did everything they could to build a solid foundation for whatever privileges they enjoy today whereas our leaders steal everything we have and put them in European, Chinese or American banks and the funds are used to make those countries better for "whites".

At the end of the day, whites have perfected the strategy of exploiting the blacks and other minorities to the extent that these minorities work hard to benefit the whites and do everything they can to ensure than their own races remain in poverty and mental slavery.

Even Chimamanda will rather live in the US than here in Nigeria and most likely contributes more to the development of the US than Nigeria's.

undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by lilprinze: 3:33pm On Nov 14, 2016
Rossikk:
Empty head, you do realise that nearly half the US population is non-white? Where should they go? Walking dunce with no brain.
bunch of crap, more than half of the population in us are non white yet trump won the elections more than half of Us population are non white yet blacks are still complaining of racism in us.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by uvalued(m): 4:19pm On Nov 14, 2016
hahn:
Black people speaking up against the same thing they do to themselves undecided

igbo vs yoruba vs ausa... sunni vs shia.... othodox vs pentecostal.. .. by the way make she come ask our president’appointment... so muchfor i belong to no one ..or what was that statement...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by MarieSucre(f): 4:33pm On Nov 14, 2016
hahn:

They apologized. Did the Vatican bother to tell people that Jesus is just a myth or has the apology made Germans less racist?

Germans are less racist than they were in 1945 and yes the Vatican no longer has the power to burn anybody for heresy. It's start and it's only going to get better. But you with all your pessimism what have you achieved?

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by hahn(m): 4:36pm On Nov 14, 2016
MarieSucre:

Germany are less racist than they were in 1945 and yes the Vatican no longer has the power to burn anybody for heresy. It's start and it's only going to get better. But you with all your pessimism what have you achieved?

Why are you attacking my person? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by AkinPhysicist: 4:53pm On Nov 14, 2016
cool grin grin grin Ipob will not like this...nobody worships WHITE people more than Igbos grin grin grin cool
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 14, 2016
ephi123:

But Nigerians cannot be racist towards each other because we belong to the same race...

You think so? i am talking about tribalism, for instance, Igbos, afonjas etc. Even in the work place. Do you see white folks behave like that towards each other? For instance someone from New York being prejudiced to someone from LA. My point is that hate for your neighbour is an innate thing regardless of colour or tribe.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by shotster50(m): 5:19pm On Nov 14, 2016
I get her opinion to a point.. We black people do not own the sole right of racial victims.. Black people can be as racist as any other human being tooo
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by ephi123(f): 5:23pm On Nov 14, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

You think so? i am talking about tribalism, for instance, Igbos, afonjas etc. Even in the work place. Do you see white folks behave like that towards each other? For instance someone from New York being prejudiced to someone from LA. My point is that hate for your neighbour is an innate thing regardless of colour or tribe.

True. I agree.

It's up to all of us to choose to say No, because it is a learned behavior as we see children don't exhibit such behaviors. Tbh, the whole world is in a state of division now - division across different lines (colour, class, religion), that unfortunately is the reality.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by kingthreat(m): 5:30pm On Nov 14, 2016
Legend87:

Aside the brown roof dog fuckers, how many other women/men have u heard about being entrapped by ur so called magun, shamelessly in public?

Lol @ dog fuckerś. Bros, i Give up. You win.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by styless(f): 5:46pm On Nov 14, 2016
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 14, 2016
Elkay3:
This lady is the ONLY reason why I don't want Biafra Republic despite them being my in laws numerous times. Nice. Pretty. Intelligent. Outspokenly quiet. Modestly dressed. These are the ones we should post stuff and talk about them, instead of Cossy and her likes.
Have I digress from the topic? Seems yes. Ok, to the point... she's right of course!
igbo don't want u to like them.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 14, 2016
slimthugchimee:
useless woman undecided

hahahahahaha.
No chills at all. She saying that a white man should not define who a racist is absolutely shameful. I perceive she spoke out of her emotions, which is utterly wrong and unprofessional. Blacks have been the greater racists...even against blacks
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Phi001(m): 6:36pm On Nov 14, 2016
kingthreat:

She's an overhyped african writer. If i were into writing I could be on BBC too. Right now I'm into business and I'm making good money. Money good enough to buy you that dream car and take you to Tahiti on a date.
That would be a magical experience

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Elkay3: 7:43pm On Nov 14, 2016
vingeophysicist:
igbo don't want u to like them.

Luckily, in the world live in, I don't need anyone's permission, either expressed or in written, before I gets to like who I want to like. The same if I chose to not like someone, as for hatred, that's what I can't. My conscience speaks here. This my world seems different from someone else.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by talktonase(m): 7:50pm On Nov 14, 2016
slimthugchimee:
useless woman undecided
hiaaaannnn! wetin chima talk Wey makeam useless
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by BuddhaPalm(m): 8:44pm On Nov 14, 2016
Chimamanda: "I am sorry, but if you're a white man, you don't get to define what racism is."

Racism...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:47pm On Nov 14, 2016
She was absolutely brilliant. Enjoyed every word that sipped out of her mouth.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by cashwhisperer: 8:54pm On Nov 14, 2016
shotster50:
I get her opinion to a point.. We black people do not own the sole right of racial victims.. Black people can be as racist as any other human being tooo

New here, I'm a Black American and signed up on this forum because I wish to dialog with Black Africans about the global condition of black people. I'm here out of respect. I wish to share my views and also learn from yours.

Black people can be bigoted/prejudiced, meaning not liking someone or mistreating someone based on color. Here in America however, many Black Americans view racism as something different. Racism is not only being bigoted/prejudiced, but also having the power to put massive action behind that bigotry/prejudice.

What are the ways that white racism can adversely affect the lives of black people? In the 9 main areas, which include Economics, Education, Entertainment, Labor, Law, Politics, Religion, Sex, & War, white people dominate Blacks/Non-Whites globally.

On the flipside, what are the ways that blacks adversely affect the lives of white people in those areas?....

It's a power dynamic, in which black people, regardless of country/tribe/state, currently have no ability to dominate whites like they do us.

Someone also mentioned the success of Black celebrities in America as if that equalizes Blacks to whites. However, still, the power dynamic is 99% of the time always in place. Sure Snoop Dogg is worth 113 million dollars, but his boss David Geffen is worth 6.7 billion. There is history as to why Blacks haven't been able to equalize themselves with whites in America such as Black Wall Street, Rosewood, Knoxville and many other communities where blacks created thriving businesses and economies that were destroyed, literally bombed by whites. The movement for equal rights in the 60's led to blacks becoming MORE dependent on whites rather than building their own. And this was done through covert AND overt practices.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:57pm On Nov 14, 2016
cashwhisperer
The movement for equal rights in the 60's led to blacks becoming MORE dependent on whites rather than building their own. And this was done through covert AND overt practices.

Please speak more on this.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 14, 2016
You wana know what's racist.
A black man can go to Hollywood and make it depending on if he can get a good role.
A white man can never come to Nollywood and make because they always, I mean always give them rubbish roles.
Now that's racist grin
But yes American may be racist but Nigerians are tribalistic angry
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Kfed4ril(m): 9:02pm On Nov 14, 2016
kingthreat:
Who cares about the views of a erosion region woman, who is a
Pro-Atheist
Pro-Homosexuality (She was into licky licky in UNN)
Anti-Yoruba, Anti-North
Pro-Biafra
And tells dry stories.

Come make o show you say the erosion in your sod is worst
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:02pm On Nov 14, 2016
I think I have to talk about the

If you are a white man, you can not define what racism is.

What the brilliant lady conveyed there was that, that man in the Studio can not understand how hurtful Donald Trump's words during the campaign were. He is white and he wants those words swept under the carpet. Act like if it never happened.

If he was a black man, he would find Trump's words distasteful. So as a white man, he can not define what racism is.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Legend87(m): 9:11pm On Nov 14, 2016
kingthreat:

Lol @ dog fuckerś. Bros, i Give up. You win.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by cashwhisperer: 9:12pm On Nov 14, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
cashwhisperer
The movement for equal rights in the 60's led to blacks becoming MORE dependent on whites rather than building their own. And this was done through covert AND overt practices.

Please speak more on this.

I will, I will be back in a little while, my child is crying so I have to tend to him. But here is some info:

5 Ways Integration Underdeveloped Black America

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/12/09/5-ways-integration-underdeveloped-black-america/

Claude Anderson also breaks this down thoroughly in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGuZEjEjww
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:19pm On Nov 14, 2016
cashwhisperer:

I will, I will be back in a little while, my child is crying so I have to tend to him. But here is some info:

5 Ways Integration Underdeveloped Black America

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/12/09/5-ways-integration-underdeveloped-black-america/

Claude Anderson also breaks this down thoroughly in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGuZEjEjww

Thanks for the video. I will watch it. Enlightening contribution
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by chineloSA(f): 9:50pm On Nov 14, 2016
cashwhisperer:

New here, I'm a Black American and signed up on this forum because I wish to dialog with Black Africans about the global condition of black people. I'm here out of respect. I wish to share my views and also learn from yours.

Black people can be bigoted/prejudiced, meaning not liking someone or mistreating someone based on color. Here in America however, many Black Americans view racism as something different. Racism is not only being bigoted/prejudiced, but also having the power to put massive action behind that bigotry/prejudice.

What are the ways that white racism can adversely affect the lives of black people? In the 9 main areas, which include Economics, Education, Entertainment, Labor, Law, Politics, Religion, Sex, & War, white people dominate Blacks/Non-Whites globally.

On the flipside, what are the ways that blacks adversely affect the lives of white people in those areas?....

It's a power dynamic, in which black people, regardless of country/tribe/state, currently have no ability to dominate whites like they do us.

Someone also mentioned the success of Black celebrities in America as if that equalizes Blacks to whites. However, still, the power dynamic is 99% of the time always in place. Sure Snoop Dogg is worth 113 million dollars, but his boss David Geffen is worth 6.7 billion. There is history as to why Blacks haven't been able to equalize themselves with whites in America such as Black Wall Street, Rosewood, Knoxville and many other communities where blacks created thriving businesses and economies that were destroyed, literally bombed by whites. The movement for equal rights in the 60's led to blacks becoming MORE dependent on whites rather than building their own. And this was done through covert AND overt practices.

African American people can be extremely oppressive to African people.

I have had an African American boss and quiete a number of African American collegues who made me come to that conclusion. I have never lived in America, i met them all out of America. White Americans turned out to be better collegues and bosses better than African Americans.

Why do African Americans look down on Africans yet they have the same struggles of racism with Africans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by jkarmstrong(m): 10:08pm On Nov 14, 2016
cashwhisperer:

look men, I feel your pain, but the power dynamics you speak about isn't there only because of racism. Black America and America in general has a peculiar history, and even more unique present, and although race and racism has played a huge part in it, I'm not going to put everything down to race.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by cashwhisperer: 10:47pm On Nov 14, 2016
chineloSA:

African American people can be extremely oppressive to African people.

I have had an African American boss and quiete a number of African American collegues who made me come to that conclusion. I have never lived in America, i met them all out of America. White Americans turned out to be better collegues and bosses better than African Americans.

Why do African Americans look down on Africans yet they have the same struggles of racism with Africans

I don't know. I don't look down on Africans. As far as I'm concerned we're all on a slave ship. It makes no sense to be arguing over who's chains are the shiniest when we're at the bottom of a slave ship, metaphorically speaking.

I know a lot of the older black generation has tended to do that. Many American blacks have been taught through American media that Africa is simply a war zone, full of ignorant black people who are always in need of aid. The further back you go in American media, the more savage they made Africans look. They would go to rural Africa and film tribes, reporting on them as if they were animals in the Wild Kingdom. That's how it was at least for me growing up watching TV, seeing news reports and those damned Sally Struthers commercials. But I never bought into that bullshit because my father was a Black Historian and gave me a sense of the truth.

Many black people DON'T look down on Africans on the contrary. Many are rooting for Africa and want to see the continent united and thriving economically. A lot of us would love to move to Africa but don't have the money to go and don't know where to go. It's not like we have a tribe/country to go back to unlike all other ethnic groups in America. And who do we know? Plus, a lot of us also feel like America owes us for 400 years of slavery, given that our ancestors built this country. So many are fighting for that redemption. For instance:

But it's unfortunate that there are Black Americans that would mistreat Africans. I don't get it myself.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by cashwhisperer: 11:01pm On Nov 14, 2016
jkarmstrong:

look men, I feel your pain, but the power dynamics you speak about isn't there only because of racism. Black America and America in general has a peculiar history, and even more unique present, and although race and racism has played a huge part in it, I'm not going to put everything down to race.

What other factors do you think contribute?

To me, it all comes down to race. That's the exact reason why we were brought over here, purely because of race. They tried to enslave Native Americans, but they either weren't having it, warring with the Europeans (unfortunately bringing bow & arrows to gunfights) or not enable to endure the Southern heat like Blacks because of the carbon (melanin) in our skin.

The police system here is rooted in slave patrols. Every effort to make progress as black people has been systematically sabotaged. We weren't allowed to learn to read until 1865. After that, you had 100 more years of Jim Crow segregation laws that disenfranchised blacks. Then post, 1960's you had the war on drugs, which targeted black people. The 80's/90's were cocaine/crack was purposely pumped into the black community. The 90's crime bill by Bill Clinton which made the prison population soar into the millions. There are so many factors that have led blacks to our current conditions.

So I ask, what other factors do you think contribute?

In my book, you can't rule out the past, because the present was built in the past.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 14, 2016
As much as Americans especially black Americans would want to interpret Trump's victory as one for racial supremacy and discrimination. As a black African, better Trump any day than Hillary Clinton. Obama is black and from Chicago, right? How come he isn't connected to the extreme violence that goes on everyday, or are they not black people? Anyone who knows zilch about US foreign policy, except one is a war monger and fantasises about global anarchy, would never have voted for Hillary Clinton. It is foreign policy of the US that affects the non-Americans around the world not Trump's insensitive, albeit honest statements.

Racism/discrimination/oppression is by action and not merely by saying 'I dislike certain people' based on stereotypes they created for themselves. For example: 'I dislike black American women, when next I visit the US, I will stay away from them and never let my kids get married to anyone of them.' This is insensitive to say and not politically correct but it is honest and only expresses how I feel. But would I want them to be wiped out of the whole earth, deprived of good things and want them to live in misery? That now is an entirely different arena altogether and it is usually the politically correct people that take this route and what's annoying is that they pretend as if natural prejudices is only existent in mini Hitlers and Stalins.

Hillary Clinton is part of the system that put the world and the US in the mess Donald Trump recognises as a problem. One doesn't need to be intelligent to recognise that. Trump wasn't promoted by the media and even his party, how can anyone not see that (thanks to the media again) but only see irrelevant things like private conversations with his friend about women. It is always good to ask why all the bad press against Trump? Why not G. W. Bush, Tony Blair or even Obama. Is Trump a war criminal? did he cause or sponsor or even a part of any needless war destabilising countries in the middle east? did he sponsor a coup against a democratically elected president in Ukraine? or sponsor the same ISIS against an elected Assad? or turned Libya from such a beautiful place to the 10th most dangerous place to live in the world? I'm sure they are less humane than saying 'I would build a wall across the border of Mexico to stop illegal immigrants from easily getting into the US'

The media has made Americans think one has to be a complete lunatic/religious fanatic or terrorist to hate the US and the american people are protesting against Trump grin They really do not know who the enemy is. They think Russia is the enemy but the aggressor is the true enemy and the US is the aggressor with people like Hillary in power. It is really not about race in the grand scheme of things. A very rich caucasian would not give another man means simply because he is caucasian and it's worse with the black kinfolk. Trump may not be able to change much but his campaign and hopefully his presidency is against this machination of the US towards continued oppression and destabilisation of countries of their interest that satisfies its greed. About internal affairs, he is a billionaire and he loves his country enough to do good.

I would quote Trump '...until we find out what the hell is going on?' grin
cashwhisperer:

Re: Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) by cashwhisperer: 11:39pm On Nov 14, 2016
TheSixthSense:
As much as Americans especially black Americans would want to interpret Trump's victory as one for racial supremacy and discrimination. As a black African, better Trump any day than Hillary Clinton. Obama is black and from Chicago, right? How come he isn't connected to the extreme violence that goes on everyday, or are they not black people? Anyone who knows zilch about US foreign policy, except one is a war monger and fantasises about global anarchy, would never have voted for Hillary Clinton. It is foreign policy of the US that affects the non-Americans around the world not Trump's insensitive, albeit honest statements.

Racism/discrimination/oppression is by action and not merely by saying 'I don't like certain people' based on stereotypes they created for themselves. For example: 'I dislike black American women, when next I visit the US, I will stay away from them and never let my kids get married to anyone of them.' This is insensitive to say and not politically correct but it is honest and only expresses how I feel. But would I want them to be wiped out of the whole earth, deprived of good things and want them to live in misery? That now is an entirely different arena altogether and it is usually the politically correct people that take this route and what's annoying is that they pretend as if natural prejudices is only existent in mini Hitlers and Stalins.

Hillary Clinton is part of the system that put the world and the US in the mess Donald Trump recognises as a problem. One doesn't need to be intelligent to recognise that. Trump wasn't promoted by the media and even his party, how can anyone not see that (thanks to the media again) but only see irrelevant things like private conversations with his friend about women. It is always good to ask why all the bad press against Trump? Why not G. W. Bush, Tony Blair or even Obama. Is Trump a war criminal? did he cause or sponsor or even a part of any needless war destabilising countries in the middle east? did he sponsor a coup against a democratically elected president in Ukraine? or sponsor the same ISIS against an elected Assad? or turned Libya from such a beautiful place to the 10th most dangerous place to live in the world? I'm sure they are less humane than saying 'I would build a wall across the border of Mexico to stop illegal immigrants from easily getting into the US'

The media has made Americans think one has to be a complete lunatic/religious fanatic or terrorist to hate the US and ignorant people are protesting against Trump grin They really do not know who the enemy is. They think Russia is the enemy but the aggressor is the true enemy and the US is the aggressor with people like Hillary in power. It is really not about race in the grand scheme of things. A very rich caucasian would not give another man means simply because he is caucasian and it's worse with the black kinfolk. Trump may not be able to change much but his campaign and hopefully his presidency is against this machination of the US towards continued oppression and destabilisation of countries of their interest that satisfies its greed. About internal affairs, he is a billionaire and he loves his country enough to do good.

I would quote Trump '...until we find out what the hell is going on?' grin

Well, I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton, because they're two sides of the same coin. That's the illusion. The lowest common denominator is white supremacy. Trump was chosen by the elite, not by the people. The electoral college picked Trump, not the people because Hillary won the popular vote. Can you name one person on the electoral college? I bet you don't even know who they are. It won't matter who gets into office, the same elitist, corporate agenda will apply- dominating non-whites of the planet. Obama? Same story with a twist...a soft, gentle black face on what was realistically the same policies as George W. Bush. And have you seen the people Trump is assembling for his cabinet?

I agree many people don't know who the enemy is, but many are starting waking up, which is why Trump was put in place to paint the illusion that here was a champion for the people that's a Washington outsider. But Trump is as much a part of the elite circle as the rest. Trust me.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? / Why You Shouldn't Fart In A Crowded Elevator!!! / Sun Newspaper Vs Punch Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.