Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,422 members, 7,808,513 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

What Is The Meaning Of Osu? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Meaning Of Osu? (4272 Views)

Traditional Rulers Storm Anambra For Abolition Of Osu, Others / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of Osu? by devilson(m): 6:44pm On Nov 14, 2016
since I joined nairaland I av been hearing the word osu nd it seems strange to.me.

what is the meaning of osu please
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Osu? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 14, 2016
From what I gather from descriptions, it is the flesh in the spiritual sense. That part of men prone to temptations. It is described as being in contention with the spirit, which further confirms that it is flesh.

From the Christian perspective, it is the root of evil in men, and has to be subdued to attain righteousness.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Osu? by Thewrath(m): 8:01pm On Nov 14, 2016
Never heard of it.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Osu? by edebemba(m): 8:18pm On Nov 14, 2016
'OSU' is an lbo word for 'Outcast'. It is simply a word used to describe a person dedicated to a deity. No one harms, interacts or marries an OSU.
History has it that it all started duing the slave trade era. Men who felt insecured and weak, and those who could not fight off kidnappers or did not want to lose their family members to kidnappers who sale victims to humam traffickers or to tne white slave dealers resort to dedicating their families to some powerful deities. Any person or animal dedicated to a deity bears a mark of identity and is feared to touch or harm. So kidnappers then feared to touch such people because the know the consequences.
So it was that an osu man could only marry an osu woman. With passage of time osu people multipled because all the children born or their descendants became OSU automatically.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Osu? by BossLadyF(f): 9:50pm On Nov 14, 2016
edebemba:
'OSU' is an lbo word for 'Outcast'. It is simply a word used to describe a person dedicated to a deity. No one harms, interacts or marries an OSU.
History has it that it all started duing the slave trade era. Men who felt insecured and weak, and those who could not fight off kidnappers or did not want to lose their family members to kidnappers who sale victims to humam traffickers or to tne white slave dealers resort to dedicating their families to some powerful deities. Any person or animal dedicated to a deity bears a mark of identity and is feared to touch or harm. So kidnappers then feared to touch such people because the know the consequences.
So it was that an osu man could only marry an osu woman. With passage of time osu people multipled because all the children born or their descendants became OSU automatically.

Thanks for the lecture but I think it's been abolished. Do they still practice it?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Osu? by edebemba(m): 10:40pm On Nov 14, 2016
BossLadyF:

Thanks for the lecture but I think it's been abolished. Do they still practice it?

Christianity has abolished it but some pagans, out of fear of the deities, still avoids anybody staged OSU.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Osu? by BossLadyF(f): 10:41pm On Nov 14, 2016
edebemba:

Christianity has abolished it but some pagans, out of fear of the deities, still avoids anybody staged OSU.

Thanks
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Osu? by RedboneSmith(m): 1:47am On Nov 15, 2016
OP, are you that bored? You created a thread more than a month ago in the politics section to ask this same question, and you answered it by yourself. This is the answer you gave:

no need for all this lies osu are descendant of nri who are low class to the nri descendent in anambra.anambra igbo are the free born while ebonyi nd imo are osu slaves.osu caste system is practiced strictly in s.east.u see osu shouting on nairaland how there uncle shoekudi bought 70% abj Nd 90% of Lagos meanwhile shoekudi sleeps under bridge nd he doesn't even own just a common hut in red-mud republic

https://www.nairaland.com/3385366/what-meaning-osu

If you want to abuse Igbo people, why don't you just come straight, instead of pretending that you are asking a genuine question? undecided

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ogun Owo World Wild Ati Irawo Wiwo 09079098548 Lati Owo Asiri Ifa Irawo Wiwo / AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man / When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.