Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,427 members, 7,781,245 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:13 AM

I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student (26696 Views)

Edafe Dogo Is Babcock University Best Graduating Student, A Mother Of Two / Aarinola Olaiya, Obafemi Awolowo University Best Graduating Student / Faith Onyekachukwu Ojumah, McPherson University Best Graduating Student (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Orezy5(m): 11:38am On Nov 15, 2016
In this interview with SAMUEL AWOYINFA, the best graduating student 2015/2016 session at the Bells University of Technology, Ota, Miss Oyindamola Badejo, with 4.89 CGPA in Bio-medical Engineering, speaks about the secrets of her success
What was your strategy for reading?

That is funny because there is an irony about my reading style.
First, I will say that I am not a ‘reader’. I do not like to read or study. So, I definitely wasn’t a library head or someone that would stay up all night studying. My strategy for studying was built on self-evaluation and analysis. I know I’m a kind of person who gets it in class. So, I made sure I attend all my classes once I didn’t have to be unavoidably absent.

So, reading afterwards was just to brush up. Additionally, I have a strong level of understanding and perception, so I don’t have to spend hours reading. I only spend a few minutes reading and I am good. As a matter of fact, I would only start reading a week or a couple of days before my exams.

How would you have felt if you fell short of first class and you did not make the current CGPA?
Well, in all honesty, I don’t think I would have ever fallen short of a first class degree. I started pretty strong and I definitely wouldn’t watch myself go down. But if in a parallel universe it did happen, it would be sad but it would not have been the end of the world. I mean it is nice to have a good degree but that is not all life has to offer. So, if I didn’t make it, it would have been a very bitter pill to swallow but I would have swallowed it all the same.

Why do you think students fail?
I think most students fail for a number of reasons, among which is lack of preparation on their parts. By this I don’t mean that students don’t read. What I mean is that there can be lack of preparation in the light that students do not do proper self-evaluation. Some people don’t even know how their brains work.

Another reason has to do with lecturers. Some lecturers derive joy from the pain of students. Some like to see students beg and cry before them so they can feel like demi-gods. I don’t know if this is an ego ride for them but this is another common reason for failure. How can a lecturer give you a textbook and just appear in class on a few occasions and tell you to read the entire book on your own? In as much as we don’t expect to be taught everything within the four walls of the school, we do expect to be taught something valuable; that which triggers your thirst for more information.

Students also fail because of some learning conditions. Who wants to go to a class on a very hot afternoon with no fans and about 100 students in a very tiny space? Even lecturers are uncomfortable. Yet some fail because they are simply lazy.
Was there anything in your background that helped you?
Not really. I’ve just always been a goal-oriented and focused person though I am also playful.
Have you always been a brilliant student from your primary school?
My primary school never awarded positions. Rather, it graded us in percentages and I was always between 80 and 90 per cent. But I don’t even remember ever reading in primary school. I hated reading and I still do. In secondary school, however, I had to try a little bit so I would not fail. In junior school, I was always between 1st and 3rd positions and in senior school I always came first or second in class. That time, I had a very strong contender. So I would like to believe I have always been academically strong.

Bio-medical Engineering as a course is relatively new in Nigeria and at Bellstech. How did you cope with the course in terms of getting textbooks and qualified lecturers to handle the course?
Through the Internet! Everything you need is on the Internet. All hard-copy books can be found on the Internet, so getting books wasn’t a problem. The university’s library has some books as well but I personally prefer using the Internet.
Concerning qualified lecturers, I’m in no position to answer that. All I know is that the college and school by extension do a very good job in hiring lecturers at least in my programme. Eighty per cent of my lecturers were either doctors or professors. We even had a professor that would come all the way form Enugu for classes, Prof Okoye.

Could you list other Awards you won as the best overall student?
I won the Best Graduating Female Student with Outstanding Academic Performance and Leadership Qualities; Overall Best Graduating Student, Best Graduating Student in the College of Engineering, Best Graduating Student in Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering Department, Dr Oluyombo Adetilewa Awojobi’s Prize for Best Graduating Student in Biomedical Engineering and the Bells University Student Association’s Student of the Year.

Were you in a relationship in school or you saw it as a distraction?
Yes, I was in a relationship. Something is only a distraction when you want it to be; when you lack focus. Relationships should not mar success. It’s part of this ‘adulting’ thing. You have to learn how to juggle your personal life and work/school or business relationships.
Do you have any regrets?
No regrets. Everything I have done in the past was the right thing to do in that moment. It was what seemed right at that point and maybe not everything ended up being advantageous on the long run.

http://punchng.com/hate-reading-bells-best-graduating-student/

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by ramdris(m): 11:57am On Nov 15, 2016
A thought just ran thru my mind after reading this...Can y'all guess?

5 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 11:59am On Nov 15, 2016
err.... So

I would like to see her use this strategy for Analysis or ODE
And watch how she crashes like Arik Airlines undecided

6 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by TrapSoul(m): 12:28pm On Nov 15, 2016
ramdris:
A thought just ran thru my mind after reading this...Can y'all guess?
I know this thought but lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Kirinwa: 3:54pm On Nov 15, 2016
Atleast we have lady who was in a relationship while in school and still made it.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by kennyjam: 5:22pm On Nov 15, 2016
Congraaatsss.... Soon and Very soon, You will here mine....Thank God,!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by siraj1402(m): 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2016
Sebi u love cramming?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by esuLAAROYE(m): 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2016
This is Serious.

She passed through the second graduating gate

1 Like

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2016
This girl is like me, I sleep in lectures, Wake up last 10 mins of class and probably 1 hour of study then I am good .

But be careful, this only works on useless lectures like Sociology, Micro Economics, Anthropology...Try this shit in Calculus 3 or Differential equations or Airplane Thermodynamics...You Will FAIL EHN grin

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2016
Useless school

5 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Dreal11247: 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2016
Thats the set of people who when emulated by the slow learners, the slow learners fail woefully.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by hamzia(m): 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2016
angry angry
Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Guruscrew: 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2016
H
Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Christane: 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2016
How she cum take pass ..if she hate reading she emerge d best graduating student den d student dat luv reading will automatically be employed as a lecturer.
Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by DeSepiero(m): 5:30pm On Nov 15, 2016
Why do I feel this girl is just pompous?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by dreman101(m): 5:30pm On Nov 15, 2016
hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by SEEDORF441(m): 5:32pm On Nov 15, 2016
I reserve my comment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Kelvinprinzyy(m): 5:32pm On Nov 15, 2016
At least she didn't lie about not having boy friend ,like some does

4 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by IRobot7(m): 5:32pm On Nov 15, 2016
But why is it that all the female best graduating students are always pretty. Have they finished forming on campus like they don't poo? I smell something fishy here because when I was in school, it used to be the ugly ones who had brains.

3 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by amokeme(f): 5:33pm On Nov 15, 2016
Beautiful

1 Like

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Aliyu333: 5:33pm On Nov 15, 2016
Some might say if she tries such reading style in unilag, oau, unilorin, Abu, she wouldn't be on 2:2 self. Truth is she can. It's all about knowing yourself and your capability, and not every first-class graduate reads 24/7 , at least my friend wasn't and he made a first-class in ABU.
Just Imagine what the one below me has to say undecided.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2016
My people please don't be deceived, if you don't read very well you will FAIL!

It's okay for successful people to not tell people about the secret to their success because of their ego or competitiveness undecided

Mstcheeww.... angry

7 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by beewhy009(m): 5:36pm On Nov 15, 2016
kennyjam:
Congraaatsss.... Soon and Very soon, You will here mine....Thank God,!

Its obvious we will soon **here** it... O kare lai... Smh

11 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Sibrah: 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
Hmmm . . .
Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by BrutalJab: 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
Non of the best graduating students will ever say they read for long.

They wanna make it look like they didn't stress themselves too much to achieve it.

Some will say I read for 1 hour a day before my professional exams. Who does that

16 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by dangotesmummy: 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2016
GOod for you
Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by opalu: 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2016
Wow
Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by helphelp: 5:39pm On Nov 15, 2016
Auntie your ability to cram obago
Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 15, 2016
Make she apply this one for Algorithms Analysis
or even Formal Language theory abeg undecided undecided
I had this kind of mentality until I see reality grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 15, 2016
This girl is downright smart and blunt!

2 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by OkoAnike(m): 5:42pm On Nov 15, 2016
SirWere:
err.... So

I would like to see her use this strategy for Analysis or ODE

And watch how she crashes like Arik Airlines undecided

Op, the young woman graduated from faculty of engineering... U are here talking about Analysis and ODE, believe she has gone thru those stages, huuummm... Enjoy

4 Likes

Re: I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2016
It is not about reading but getting the concept.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Is Oduduwa University Fees / 15 Horrifying Websites You Should Never Ever Visit. / Which Of These Do You Fear Most As A Student?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.