Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,601 members, 7,801,737 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity (9909 Views)

Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / Power Crisis ; See The Little Gadget That Rescued Me Last Night. PICTURES. / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by SkyBlue1: 3:53pm On Nov 03, 2009
mccloud224:

Your statement just proves what i have been saying.I'll use your example :

MADOFF : Got 150 years imprisonment (i think) and he's definitely not coming out of prison unless in a coffin.

BODE GEORGE : Gets 2 years in prison plus there is hope that he might not even serve out the full sentence.He stays in a "plush" apartment in kirikiri.He doesn't wear prison clothes, chooses what he eats and has "sympathizers" all over him every single day.

Do you see the big difference?Also the way Madoff and other's ripped money off people was "well thought out" and "really blue chipped" grin grin.That kind of scam must have taken professionals to uncover e.g auditors and so on.THEY DIDN'T LOOT THE TREASURY and send money off to foriegn countries.

LOL. Its amusing how you keep dodging the question or the crux of what I am saying. I used Madoff as an example to show that just because Madoff is white does not mean you can say "whites are corrupt". You can make such arguements with much more elaborate and well thought out points. Keep focus on the issue please and stop dodging, or just accept you were not quite sure of what you were saying and let it end there.

Again let me remind you of what I had a problem with. You pretty much claimed blacks had to be forced to stop slaving themselves. I said such generalisation was born out of ignorance and adoption of unimaginative propaganda, and asked you what percentage of the people actually had to be forced to stop slaving themselves to warrant such generalisations. Keep focus please. This is the same reason why if you read early account by most English explorers about Africa you would believe we were savages with no civilisation, however if you consider the accounts by the portugese, a different picture is painted. Again I implore you to keep focus on the issue and not keep coming back with vague arguments.

Too funny. Probably something like some hundreds or so people (not claiming that to be the exact figure range) went around capturing people and selling them towards the end of slavery, for their own economic benefit, and we are told to accept that blacks had to be forced to stop slaving themselves? The ridiculousness of such claims really does astound.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Sine1: 3:57pm On Nov 03, 2009
Chai baby wat is your contact r u in lagos or somewhere i want to meet u u r a darling to me i love everything u do to me lets go pls ok? i want to feel your breast penis womanliness infact i cant hold on without u u are too gbaski lets make this thing last forever i need u baby.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 03, 2009
@topic

"Diasporans" are the problem. They have refused to fix NEPA. cool
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 4:03pm On Nov 03, 2009
nuzo:

@topic
"Diasporans" are the problem. They have refused to fix NEPA. cool
So "diasporans" hold the key to Nigeria's prosperity shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Kobojunkie: 4:04pm On Nov 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

So "diasporans" hold the key to Nigeria's prosperity shocked shocked shocked

Seems that is what quite a handful on here believe. Diasporans are responsible for it all.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 4:06pm On Nov 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Seems that is what quite a handful on here believe. Diasporans are responsible for it all.
I am baffled at a daft comment like that, honestly! grin
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 4:07pm On Nov 03, 2009
@Sky blue

LOL. Its amusing how you keep dodging the question or the crux of what I am saying. I used Madoff as an example to show that just because Madoff is white does not mean you can say "whites are corrupt". You can make such arguements with much more elaborate and well thought out points. Keep focus on the issue please and stop dodging, or just accept you were not quite sure of what you were saying an let it end there.

The fact that you don't see eye to eye with my views is not a basis to disregard them as "not well thought out".The focus of the issue if i can still read well is "NIGERIA : POWER CRISIS AND PROSPERITY".I have been pointing out what i feel is the reason for us being the way we are and you have your views.I respect them even if i don't agree with all your points.You could try doing the same instead of taking cheap jabs.

Again let me remind you of what I had a problem with. You pretty much claimed blacks had to be forced to stop slaving themselves. I said such generalisation was born out of ignorance and adoption of unimaginative propaganda, and asked you what percentage of the people actually had to be forced to stop slaving themselves to warrant such generalisations. Keep focus please. This is the same reason why if you read early account by most English explorers about Africa you would believe we were savages with no civilisation, however if you consider the accounts by the portugese, a different picture is painted. Again I implore you to keep focus on the issue and not keep coming back with vague arguments.

Every foreigner that visited these lands was called a white man.Do i have to explain this to you man?

Too funny. Probably something like some hundreds or so people (not claiming that to be the exact figure range) went around capturing people and selling them towards the end of slavery, for their own economic benefit and we are told to accept that blacks had to be forced to stop slaving themselves? The ridiculousness of such claims really does astound.

Please try and read more on the Bonny wars (Jaja of Opodo was taught in primary school).

Nuff said.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

I am equally baffled at your daftness for not grabbing what I mean.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 4:13pm On Nov 03, 2009
I am equally baffled at your daftness for grabbing what I mean.

hehehehe

lol
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by proudly9ja(m): 4:18pm On Nov 03, 2009

Bro it is not that easy. You have forgotten about distribution and transmission. Even if we generate 60 billion MW. We need proper distribution and transmission terminals. How many times have you heard neighborhoods paying nepa for transformers that never show up. How many times have you heard that NEPA cables have been carted away by thieves. (nepa officials).
The problem really is corruption. PRIVATIZATION will fully solve the problem. IF the government completely removes its hand from POWER, the problem will be solved. How many times have you heard that MTN Cables have been stolen and as such we won't have access to phone communications anymore?

At least let us generate first. If we don't generate, we cannot distribute. Since the 80s, our generation capacity has remained stagnated at below 4000MW for a country of 150million people. Yet every year we hear BILLIONS of naira being pumped into power GENERATION with nothing to show for it. If we put that in perspective, I don't know the population of South Africa but they are not up to 150million yet they generate over 20,000MW. Experts have told us we need just 10000MW for constant power so my method of 500MW per state simplifies it.

When we generate it, we will think of distribution.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by SkyBlue1: 4:21pm On Nov 03, 2009
mccloud224:

@Sky blue

The fact that you don't see eye to eye with my views is not a basis to disregard them as "not well thought out".The focus of the issue if i can still read well is "NIGERIA : POWER CRISIS AND PROSPERITY".I have been pointing out what i feel is the reason for us being the way we are and you have your views.I respect them even if i don't agree with all your points.You could try doing the same instead of taking cheap jabs.

Every foreigner that visited these lands was called a white man.Do i have to explain this to you man?

Please try and read more on the Bonny wars (Jaja of Opodo was taught in primary school).

Nuff said.

First of all this is not about differing views but about things that can be considered to exist in the realms of truth. If I say there was no such thing as World War 1, that is not differing views, that can be seen as fallacy. Yes the topic is about Nigerian Power Crisis and I quoted something from your posts to that effect. Because I call you out on a public post that can be attributed to you does not mean I don't respect your views. Apologies if you feel offended but if you can back up your claims then please do go ahead. Not trying to offend you, just want to clear things up, as I said, if you can't back up such claims just say so and let us move on.

I don't get the "every foreigner that visited these lands was called a white man", especially when I explained that I was referring to the Portugese accounts of what they saw in Africa. So what has that got to do with them being seen as all white?

I would implore you to read more about the topics you suggested I do too; Especially since Jaja of Opobo was at a point trying to stop slave trade and fighting against it, pushing for trade of palm produce instead.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by SkyBlue1: 4:22pm On Nov 03, 2009
proudly9ja:

At least let us generate first. If we don't generate, we cannot distribute. Since the 80s, our generation capacity has remained stagnated at below 4000MW for a country of 150million people. Yet every year we hear BILLIONS of naira being pumped into power GENERATION with nothing to show for it. If we put that in perspective, I don't know the population of South Africa but they are not up to 150million yet they generate over 20,000MW. Experts have told us we need just 10000MW for constant power so my method of 500MW per state simplifies it.

When we generate it, we will think of distribution.

Surely that 10000MW figure is just for domestic consumption and not for industries.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Kobojunkie: 4:24pm On Nov 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

Dude, when people tell you things like that often, you are likely to start believing it if care is not taken. Some of these people were probably raised to believe those who leave the country are RUN AWAYS and are somehow the reason why the government does not LIKE them. Who knows !!! Roflmao!!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Nezan(m): 4:43pm On Nov 03, 2009
Nigeria and power problem . . . . are we cursed?
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by koolchicco: 4:44pm On Nov 03, 2009
@OP

IMHO, Corruption, and nothing more!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2009
nuzo:

I am equally baffled at your daftness for not grabbing what I mean.
You are a muppet! grin
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 4:54pm On Nov 03, 2009
The level of power supply in Nigeria generally is enough to guarantee steady power supply for those who use well designed inverter backup systems.

For over 5 years now I have never used a generator in my office and I can guarantee steady power for 3 1/2 days without power at all.

My point is that though power supply is poor it is not a good reason to shut down businesses or refuse to make progress.

The fact remains that Nigerians find it difficult to analyze issues based on facts and it is common to see people spend 20 times more on generator and diesel/fuel than they would spend on inverter backup systems for the same power provided. I call this madness.

We should look at the distributed power generation and distribution model. Currently, we have a monster that is way too big to be efficient.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by assetstrip(m): 4:58pm On Nov 03, 2009
Hi NL's, enjoying the discussion. If i can just add my two pennies to the debate, i think a lot of people don't really get the degree of the devastation of Nigeria being in perpetual darkness over decades, not just the devastation to the economy but to the psyche of the society. The RULERS of Nigeria have enforced Darkness not just in the sense of infrastructure but i think psychologically on Nigerians. Until the mentality of the people changes to OWNERSHIP then i'm afraid our country will continue to be in the brown stuff.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by ojesymsym: 5:09pm On Nov 03, 2009
I remember hearing something sometime ago where a woman said, 'every year u hear them saying Mega watts this and Mega watts that, they should keep their Mega watts to themselves and just give us light.'
Funny to me but makes sense
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by proudly9ja(m): 5:18pm On Nov 03, 2009
Sky Blue:

Surely that 10000MW figure is just for domestic consumption and not for industries.
No idea mate, thats the figure they have given us. My own is, it is a shame that in 2009, we are still generating less than 4000MW. The annoying thing is we even come on nespaper to say it for the whole world to hear.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by manny4life(m): 5:22pm On Nov 03, 2009
Why is it that the FG has so much power, trying to control everything, yet they ain't even good at it. The best thing for Nigeria now is to privatize the industry and all they have to do is regulate it. If they privatize it, there would be more control and supervision.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Physicist(m): 5:24pm On Nov 03, 2009
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by manny4life(m): 5:26pm On Nov 03, 2009
Physicist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations

Can you please explain what this link for? What is it trying to explain?
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by chosen04(f): 5:36pm On Nov 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

The MrCrackles i believe i know is that matured, sensible guy that contributes positively to topics and never uses insultive words on people no matter the comment. He is same person i was abt lobbying for and nominating to be NL reformist.

I just hope and pray the above comment is from another person cos its not in his character to use such words.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Physicist(m): 5:41pm On Nov 03, 2009
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by manny4life(m): 5:48pm On Nov 03, 2009
Physicist:

This link may explain why there is no adequate power/electricity supply in Nigeria. It will explain why there is so much corruption. It claimed the average IQ of Nigerians is 67. Mental retardation starts at 70 IQ and goes down. Try to get hold of this book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations" and read it. It will explain to you why Africa is underdeveloped compared to the rest of the world.

You guys would really believe anything. As the introduction says "its controversial" and I wouldn't be surprised that by all means its "biased".
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by dfanthom(m): 6:35pm On Nov 03, 2009
@ mccloud224,
i agree with you totally.

it's called 'POVERTY OF THE MIND'. our leaders cannot cease to amaze the masses with the heaps of garbage of ignorance & primitivity that they exude to the outside world. in their fit of madness, delusion & irrationality, they always forget that a handful of them are well educated.

sadd, sadd shame! WHICH WAY NAIJA!!!!!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2009
@ mccloud224,
i agree with you totally.

it's called 'POVERTY OF THE MIND'. our leaders cannot cease to amaze the masses with the heaps of garbage of ignorance & primitivity that they exude to the outside world. in their fit of madness, delusion & irrationality, they always forget that a handful of them are well educated.

sadd, sadd shame! WHICH WAY NAIJA!!!!!

Thank you jare.Me i just tire for the whole thing.If person talk now, dem go say person dey talk too much.Na 2 go back to sidon look mode.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by ojofu(m): 7:25pm On Nov 03, 2009
manny4life:

Why is it that the FG has so much power, trying to control everything, yet they ain't even good at it. The best thing for Nigeria now is to privatize the industry and all they have to do is regulate it. If they privatize it, there would be more control and supervision.

You spoke my mind jare. In my own opinion, i think that the system we are running is not structured properly.
why would only one man (FG) control all the resources we have in this country. if more power is given to the states, maybe would be able to manage our resources better.

Today, if a state should generate power, it would first deliver this power to the national grid for it to be share equally among the federating unit. This is why most state will not generate they own power. Does this encourage investment in that sector?.

This country is structured in way such that all the money we generate is kept in one place, then anybody(mostly gay) that has access to it, can cut it his share from it and distribute the rest.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Fhemmmy: 7:27pm On Nov 03, 2009
This is why someone has said before that we need decentralization of power.
The FG is drunk with too much power and her wing must be clipped
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Princek12(m): 7:28pm On Nov 03, 2009
I still don't get the mindset of our leaders. Won't our leaders be happy to know that his/her country has sufficient power to sustain domestic and industrial demands? Won't our leaders be happy to drive around at night and admonish the glowing beauty of light on different buildings and on street lights? Won't they be happy that their country is not being to subject to constant ridicule and embarrassment for lack of power which Jamaica, of all places, has?   The true potential our country, which is replete with intellectuals, has been curtailed because of lack of power, and the sad part is that it is such an easy fix. Why? Mbut why? Why now? It hurts. sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 7:29pm On Nov 03, 2009
First of all this is not about differing views but about things that can be considered to exist in the realms of truth. If I say there was no such thing as World War 1, that is not differing views, that can be seen as fallacy. Yes the topic is about Nigerian Power Crisis and I quoted something from your posts to that effect. Because I call you out on a public post that can be attributed to you does not mean I don't respect your views. Apologies if you feel offended but if you can back up your claims then please do go ahead. Not trying to offend you, just want to clear things up, as I said, if you can't back up such claims just say so and let us move on.

Back up which claims?That we black people have been the source of our problems from time immemorial?What else do you need clearing up for?You know, i know, everything 10 year old and mad person on the street knows it.

I don't get the "every foreigner that visited these lands was called a white man", especially when I explained that I was referring to the Portugese accounts of what they saw in Africa. So what has that got to do with them being seen as all white?

Africa was visited by the English, French, Portuguese, Americans etcetera .We referred to ALL of them as "white men" or "Oyibo".Unless your own people had maps,dictionaries and sound education hundreds of years ago, i don't think they cared about the difference.All they knew was Oyibo lands on the sea shores with big boats and they trade with us.Simple! ! !  On a side note, i think these sailors bought slaves for next-to-nothing at some point.For example, cowrie shells.I might be wrong but aren't those things picked up from the sea shores?They sailors probably landed on our shores,picked up a good deal of cowries, went much further in-land and traded with the people there with COWRIE SHELLS from their shores. . .hehehhahahaha. . . lol.It's just my theory but if that's how the cowrie currency got into the African circulation, then we are really more bleeped up than i previously imagined. . .lol

I would implore you to read more about the topics you suggested I do too; Especially since Jaja of Opobo was at a point trying to stop slave trade and fighting against it, pushing for trade of palm produce instead.

I said read on the Bonny wars.Jaja of Opobo is part of the story that makes up the Bonny wars.Sweet Jesus man, are you interested in learning something or you just love to keep the threads going?Which?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Breaking: Court Grants Efcc’s Request To Try Metuh In Absentia. / Magu To Open Defence Before Salami Panel Today / Justice Ikpeme Sworn-in As Substantive Chief Judge, Cross River State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.