Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity (9910 Views)

Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / Power Crisis ; See The Little Gadget That Rescued Me Last Night. PICTURES. / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 5:03pm On Nov 05, 2009
AjanleKoko:

It just came to me. You build web sites for a living!
Can't believe I've been arguing with a guy who builds websites for a living. You guys are all over Ikeja, man!
Keep on ranting and raving.

Yes, I build web applications and develop custom software when I am not designing and installing reliable inverter backup systems and I am very proud of what I do.

However, I served in the same Mobil Producing Nigeria 2 years before you attempted the interview as a youth corper and failed woefully. Just limiting this to one issue at a time. As you bring up more issues I will respond accordingly and trust me by the time you are done you would have realized that in terms of work experience and value of projects handled you may never be able to come close regardless of your many claims to work in a GSM company.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by slimes(m): 9:03pm On Nov 05, 2009
Think of being self reliant as a small scale employer of labour or an industrialist, all depends on power. It is the bane of industries and goes a long way to determine the cost of production which in turn tells on the selling price of the product.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 10:36pm On Nov 06, 2009
slimes:

Think of being self reliant as a small scale employer of labour or an industrialist, all depends on power. It is the bane of industries and goes a long way to determine the cost of production which in turn tells on the selling price of the product.
Spot on. . . .
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Oluti(m): 5:42am On Nov 07, 2009
You all got it wrong. Let's first dispatch all our present tormentors to the great beyond like Jerry did in Ghana and all our problems will be solved. The ones coming after them will be too scared to touch talk less of carting our money to Switzerland. O pari.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Jakumo(m): 7:57am On Nov 07, 2009
Oga Afam, may I ask for a few details on inverter battery backup electrical power.  There are so many varieties of these devices sold on the internet, with such a bewildering array of categories, specifications and applications, that it is difficult to tell which system works best to simply provide electrical power at night after being charged up by a generator during the day.

From your experience using inverter backup systems in Nigeria, which brand name and specification of inverter and deep-cycle battery would you consider to be the best and most reliable on the market for Third World use ?   Considering a residential or business concern operating entirely off the national electricity grid, what sort of a setup would in your opinion provide stable electrical power around the clock, by alternating between the inverter/battery system at night, and a 100KVA generator that would charge the system batteries during daylight hours ?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by bibiking1(m): 9:51am On Nov 07, 2009
Oluti:

You all got it wrong. Let's first dispatch all our present tormentors to the great beyond like Jerry did in Ghana and all our problems will be solved. The ones coming after them will be too scared to touch talk less of carting our money to Switzerland. O pari.

Oluti, this would present a problem in the interim, the list might be quite heavier than you envisage and no one like to lose a loved one! so the extermination would obviously become compromised!
There are however other options!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 10:14am On Nov 07, 2009
Jakumo:

Oga Afam, may I ask for a few details on inverter battery backup electrical power.  There are so many varieties of these devices sold on the internet, with such a bewildering array of categories, specifications and applications, that it is difficult to tell which system works best to simply provide electrical power at night after being charged up by a generator during the day.

From your experience using inverter backup systems in Nigeria, which brand name and specification of inverter and deep-cycle battery would you consider to be the best and most reliable on the market for Third World use ?   Considering a residential or business concern operating entirely off the national electricity grid, what sort of a setup would in your opinion provide stable electrical power around the clock, by alternating between the inverter/battery system at night, and a 100KVA generator that would charge the system batteries during daylight hours ?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Hi Jakumo,

Thanks for your post.

1. The inverter technology is pretty a mature technology with different topologies and implementations hence the variety you see out there. The main problem is with the battery chargers where the charging rates are usually either too high (kills the battery bank faster) or too low (cheaper to produce but still kills the battery bank at a slower rate). This means that the battery charging amps must be designed to charge a given battery voltage and amps properly. This would also mean that the manufacturer must have information about the typical battery Ah that will be used with any capacity inverter (with an integrated charger) instead of the one size fits all scenario we have today with mass produced inverters.

2. Another problem is that some design assumptions made by inverter manufacturers outside Nigeria work well in their countries while they don't here because they don't have the type of embarrassing power problem we have down here. That is where some inverters come with very small charging amps with the basic assumption that these inverters are used for say emergencies and should have more than enough time and power to recharge the battery bank when depleted. You know that in Nigeria here you can barely guarantee 8 hrs in a day.

3. Then the components matter. The same way the average Nigerian wire is termed the most reliable and expensive in the market is the same way the transformer coils that are assessed locally are more reliable than most imported transformers with aluminium rather than copper as the choice. The choice of transistors again has a huge impact as some transistors perform better in certain scenarios based on what features you prefer. Management of any heat generated is another issue that if not handled properly can damage the components.

So, there are a lot of issues why you have a varying degree of reliability of inverters out there.

We build modified sine wave inverters and you can't use these inverters for any sensitive medical equipment, laser copiers, laser printers but works ok with over 95% of electrical or electronic appliances out there. True or pure sine wave inverters are the best in terms of wave output but generally cost more.

Now to the questions

1. It is difficult to state the best inverter because I have not tried many, in fact I have been able to install just one imported true sine wave inverter in about 6 years and after that experience I decided not to do so again because in the cause of diagnosing the problem that came up in the 11th month of usage I found out that the charger was just 6 amps for a 5KVA 180VDC inverter that provided more than 4 days backup until the problem came to the fore. Obviously, the battery bank had never seen full charge since installation date and was able to hold out for that long because the batteries used were the best I have seen and used myself. Power safe brand of Enersys batteries is the brand.

But these batteries are really expensive. To give you an idea of how expensive it is, a typical good 12V 200Ah deep cycle battery hovers around N50,000.00 but the landing cost of the Power safe brand with the same 12V 200Ah comes to about N125,000.00. Batteries from USA or Europe generally are more reliable because they use virgin lead in the battery manufacturing process whereas in Asia the use of recycled lead is common and basically an acceptable standard. You still need to beware of American battery makers that have manufacturing plants in Asia because the plants in Asia may as well build these batteries with recycled lead and probably ship them to Africa or other countries that don't pay attention to standards or insist on certain standards.

So, when it comes to installing inverters the only ones I can guarantee the workability and offer 1 year warranty where repairs or outright replacements are done at zero cost to the owner are the ones we build ourselves because we have 100% control in the building process from the components selection to the setup even though the building process is not automated so cannot produce them in large quantities and only do so based on orders.

2. Any generator system that runs during the day can support a reliable inverter backup system at night, in fact this hybrid system will be more reliable than a typical PHCN/Inverter system because PHCN does not provide power everyday.

However, unless the items in questions are listed (with their power ratings) no one can give you any reasonable information as regards the inverter capacity, number of battery banks required and their associated costs. Doing so would amount to going into a war with a blindfold.

Even at that an energy efficiency program may be implemented to crash the loads. It is always cheaper to replace some items and build a reliable inverter backup system than it is to build an inverter backup system to support any current load that are not energy efficient. For example, an inverter backup system that will provide 24 hrs backup for a desktop computer would provide between 72 hrs and 96 hrs for a laptop computer. Same with other loads with more energy efficient alternatives.

Sorry for the long post but needed to clear up some issues that have been misleading or misunderstood in the power inverter area.

You may read more articles @ justalternativepower.com/articles.php

Please, address me as Afam, just Afam.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by revolt(m): 10:24am On Nov 07, 2009
YOUTHS DO WE WASTE OUT TIME ARGUING WE ALL KNOW OUR PROBLEM IS GENERATIONAL AND SOME CREEPS IN OUR MIST THAT HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED BY THE OLDER GENERATION. EVEN IN NY UNI DAYS THEY HAD STARTED RIGGIN ELECTIONS FOR US. JUST IMAGINE A GENERATION. THEY MUST BE RTELIEVED OF POWER. EVEN IF THEY HAVE TO DIE
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by revolt(m): 10:28am On Nov 07, 2009
the only sectors that work in naija are dominated by youthss check. banking, it, entertainment. the oil industry is dominated by them thats y were in sh.t. theyve got to go
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Jakumo(m): 10:36am On Nov 07, 2009
Thank you for the information on inverters that you have provided here Afam.  I am saving the above post for study and future reference, though I will likely still have a question or two before long.

Much appreciated.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 11:21am On Nov 07, 2009
Jakumo:

Thank you for the information on inverters that you have provided here Afam.  I am saving the above post for study and future reference, though I will likely still have a question or two before long.

Much appreciated.

No wahala. Enjoy!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Isuata: 1:23pm On Nov 07, 2009
@McCloud wa ri tie je jare!
wo you re too spot on my bro

we have a mindset problem in dis country and Africa as a whole
and it nids cleaning,serios one

corruption exist evrywia, even in dem westernized coustries but yet dia is a certain dedication to building the nation
ow hard is it to make sure yu oversee and do a good job of development of your part of jurisdiction(while you still loot wateva it is you want to loot)

like some1 asked: why would you not rather steal 5million dan steal 200 million of your fellow country man's mony
it lways beats my imagination
we re simply just babaric in dis country----everyone i min not just the leaders

i especially gbadun dis posts-biurifull!:

IBB,Abacha,OBJ : All these people got some or most of their education abroad.Research on it.Did they use their management skills to develop the country?NO.Why?They know and understand that blacks don't really want progress.We can deny it all we want but it's true.Take Lagos for example.If LASTMA impounds your vehicle, the least you expect to spend is between N80,000 to N150,000 to get your vehicle back (depends on the gravity of the offense).The charges are ridiculously high but if the costs were like in the UK or US where you pay between $5 to $10 (i think) for parking tickets, i trust 9ja people.They will drive anyhow and abuse the whole thing coz after all, the offense is just "N500 -N1000".They will even spray the LASTMA official with a bunch of naira notes up to N5000,laugh at his face and tell him to get a better job. . .yes. . . This is the typical "educated" black African for you but even if you a billionaire and you are made to cough up over N100,000 for traffic offense, you will "behave" better next time.The only reason Lagos drives are a little more civil now is because of the huge amount they tend to lose if they are caught.So the only language a black man understands is force.He can't be reasoned with (even with education).Our leaders understand this and we can see how they "elect" themselves.THROUGH FORCE! ! !

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A much simpler solutino would have been to adopt the European Commitee system, since the gas is in Niger Delta build the plants there, that removes the costly business of constructing pipelines, and transporting the turbines,
Simple solutions come only from minds that can reason, our current crop of leaders do not!

Nigeria's problem is NOT :

(1)Power supply
(2)Bad leaders
(3)Poor Management
(4)Evil people in Aso Rock (in need of "divine intervention"wink ;Dlol. . .9ja and their "crusades"

It's the mind set of the people.Nigerians or Black Africans have a "reverse/backwards mentality" mind set.That is why nothing we do works.Go to any government parastatal in the country.The people there run them as they like.I was at General Hospital (broad street) some days ago to donate blood to my sick father in-law (to be. . lol).I was shocked by what i saw.Sick and dying patients where left unattended to while the nurses spent time on the corridors GOSSIPING.The blood i donated took almost 9 hours to be administered to the sick old man.BLACK PEOPLE NEVER LIKE TO DO ANYTHING RIGHT.What you see in our leaders is what you see in our police,soldiers,lecturers,doctors,lawyers (everyone in general).We do things "upside down".

Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Obalende: 2:05pm On Nov 09, 2009
Exactly. . . .We need hard facts!
someone said this a few pages earlier; even the hard facts you seek are corrupt emanating from the MINDSET of the nigerians. oceanic bank, first bank and many other bank annual reports which would have been termed facts are lies.

Black africa is finished.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by SkyBlue1: 2:43pm On Nov 09, 2009
Obalende:

someone said this a few pages earlier; even the hard facts you seek are corrupt emanating from the MINDSET of the nigerians. oceanic bank, first bank and many other bank annual reports which would have been termed facts are lies.

Black africa is finished.

What on earth has that got to do with posting allegations without any source whatsoever or at least a logical explanation that led to such conclusions? The allegation mounted by mccloud was specific, with a figure even mentioned, so what has someone's personal responsibility got to do with the black african race? Someone cannot be responsible with postings and that is a judgement on the whole black race? LOL. The irony is amusing.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Obalende: 2:48pm On Nov 09, 2009
Its a mentality problem - thats the problem with Nigeria.

Proof (for those seeking concrete fact)
Most of the problem in the banking sector today was caused by the "my balance sheet is bigger than yours attitude"[Sanusi quoted]. In an attempt to start competing for larger balance sheet egocentrically and to please friends seeking loans - reckless lending began. no white man in the board of oceanic, UBN, etc. Now look at UAC [I speak factually as a shareholder], they declare moderate profits - not 70% increase or 204% PAT increase (as done by Oceanic) and this has been one of the most stable companies instrinsically and in terms of share price during the stock market dwindle - guess what? there is a British man on UAC board; some have said once the man resigns they will liquidate their holdings.

Now, I am no racist, nor do I have an inferiority complex or anything of that nature but this calls for some self reflection. Why didnt UAC start competing for higher balance sheet compared to BIG TREAT? BLACK MAN EGOCENTRIC MENTALITY

Proof 2
I have lived in the West and im sure many have and I have seen how the white man maintains road assets. It is retrogressive that in many areas of nigeria, primary school areas which once had speed bumps have had them removed because "men of influence" have spoken to the "necessary people". the results - more accidents and killing of children. Why is it that the western countries could use common sense and let these assets remain while the black man will remove them to risk lives of children for money.

Now these things happen decade in decade out. The logical empirical conclusion is that the black man has a retrogressive mentality.

But that is by the way, this thread is Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity. I say the problem is primarily mentality which results in mis management of the power sector which is secondary major problem.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 3:04pm On Nov 09, 2009
Obalende:

Now these things happen decade in decade out. The logical empirical conclusion is that the black man has a retrogressive mentality.

But that is by the way, this thread is Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity. I say the problem is primarily mentality which results in mis management of the power sector which is secondary major problem.

Now back to the topic of this thread, power is the most important secondary issue facing the country but mentality is the primary!!!
Brilliant analysis. .
For the nation to prosper, it is imperative we solve the power crisis and change our mentality/attitude/mindset
There are other hinderances to prosperity, but power remains major in my opinion
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by rethink: 3:57pm On Nov 09, 2009
one of the problems of Nigeria is that we like to be less objective. If it is money that is needed to give us power we have it why dont we spend it?

People claimed that Obasanjo chopped 16billion dollars they forget immediately that could not be possible without the help of Technocrats and Technicians if he really did steal the money he would also need bankers and accountants.

read on NL you would hardly see one particular mention that Obasanjo had a company related to power.

If it is money that is needed to solve the power problem we should have solved it long time ago we have the money. Why was Yar'adua very slow. We dont have a leadership crisis We have a[b] citizen crisis[/b].

There was a time that people made statements like

" I dont want to steal small money i want to steal big money"

"If you want to steal read your books and get into power you would steal"

"if you get there you will also steal, Yes If it was me too I will steal so that my generation will never suffer"

"I just want to be where they sign the contract I wont sign if they dont pay me"

You remember the times people did not pay light bills and were illegally connecting?

I will ask anyone if they had 30 billion dollars wether he or she would put it to Power generation with the very likelyhood they will not get anything on investment.

There was one man that was so determined to save Nigeria he spent a lot of money and was betrayed by the technocrats.

The whole thing is summed up like this

[b]power plant cost 100 million dollars for the technocrats to agree to work with you they tell you that they want you to quote 500 million dollars, you are a whiteman and you say ah this is robbery but you say this people are not your people so you agree.

The technocrats are made and they even say they dont want to work again fly their families to USA and ko minini. There is a new group of technocrats and they demand money from the contractors the contractors dont give them anything and they say i wont work for another man to chop abeg, They write technical report that the turbine is not specific they sabotage the project because they know that the people before them made alot of money so government must pay for another turbine.

Some are people going to school currently to join this brigade they pray that we dont solve this problem. You will never hear people say anything about the people that approved the contract, but if it is a minister or president that released the money you will hear them talk about it.

We the masses pray for the leadership we get. if you like kill all the leaders that will not solve the problem. The people in the power sector are corrupt and they are waiting for new contracts to be released. [/b] What I think the Solution should be is to take away the federal government from the power sector completely. IT IS LIKE THE TECHNOCRATS ARE HOLDING THE MASSES HOSTAGE AND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOOLISHLY PAYS THE RANSOME MONEY.
There must be a prerequisite that for you to lift explore crude oil you must

1) have a refinery
2) have a power plants

All the government should do is to tell the states government to build their own transmission line and pay for what they use to the power companies.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 4:05pm On Nov 09, 2009
rethink:

one of the problems of Nigeria is that we like to be less objective. If it is money that is needed to give us power we have it why dont we spend it?

People claimed that Obasanjo chopped 16billion dollars they forget immediately that could not be possible without the help of Technocrats and Technicians if he really did steal the money he would also need bankers and accountants.

read on NL you would hardly see one particular mention that Obasanjo had a company related to power.

If it is money that is needed to solve the power problem we should have solved it long time ago we have the money. Why was Yar'adua very slow. We dont have a leadership crisis We have a[b] citizen crises[/b].

There was a time that people made statements like

" I dont want to steal small money i want to steal big money"

"If you want to steal read your books and get into power you would steal"

"if you get there you will also steal, Yes If it was me too I will steal so that my generation will never suffer"

"I just want to be where they sign the contract I wont sign if they dont pay me"

You remember the times people did not pay light bills and were illegally connecting?

I will ask anyone if they had 30 billion dollars wether he or she would put it to Power generation with the very likely hood they will not get anything on investment.

There was one man that was so determined to save Nigeria he spent a lot of money and was betrayed by the technocrats.

The whole thing is summed up like this

power plant cost 100 million dollars for the technocrats to agree to work with you they tell you that they want you to quote 500 million dollars, you are a whiteman and you say ah this is robbery but you say this people are not your people so you agree.

The technocrats are made and they even say they dont want to work again fly their families to USA and ko minini. There is a new group of technocrats and they demand money from the contractors the contractors dont give them anything and they say i wont work for another man to chop abeg, They write technical report that the turbine is not specific they sabotage the project because they know that the people before them made alot of money so government must pay for another turbine.

Some are people going to school currently to join this brigade they pray that we dont solve this problem. You will never hear people say anything about the people that approved the contract, but if it is a minister or president that released the money you will hear them talk about it.

We the masses pray for the leadership we get. if you like kill all the leaders that will not solve the problem. The people in the power sector are corrupt and they are waiting for new contracts to be released.

What I think the Solution should be is to take away the federal government from the power sector completely. IT IS LIKE THE TECHNOCRATS ARE HOLDING THE MASSES HOSTAGE AND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOOLISHLY PAYS THE RANSOME MONEY.

There must be a prerequisite that for you to lift explore crude oil you must

1) have a refinery
2) have a power plants

All the government should do is to tell the states government to build their own transmission line and pay for what they use to the power companies.

I agree with the above.

We need access to information so that the masses will know the facts as against relying on the media that keeps talking about sources that may never be telling us the facts.

If the whole process of selecting and executing contracts is made transparent I am sure a lot of these corrupt middlemen and government guys won't be able to get away with what they do.

It is common to see projects highly inflated just to guarantee feedbacks.

I have had to walk away from projects due to this same issue of kickbacks and inflation of quotes and I have no regrets doing so because I will only end up being a hypocrite if I continue to speak out against corruption while engaging in it myself.

Nigerians should be bold enough to damn the consequences and insist on doing the right thing at all times.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 10:22am On Nov 11, 2009
rethink:

This i think is a viable option. . .
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Edruezzi: 11:31pm On Jan 13, 2010
I have been visiting the East of recent. I thought an Igbo area would show more entrepreneurial vigor and affluence than the sleepwalking attitude and poverty I notice in Lagos. Well, the East is even more tired and more complacent than Lagos and Anambra looks tired and rundown. You can see the poverty and stagnation everywhere. It’s also not advisable to be outside anywhere in that state except some remote villages after 8 pm. The electricity problem that is a feature of life in Lagos is rife here as well. Large sections of Onitsha have light only every other day, or even less frequently than that.
It is a shame that Nigeria has failed at a technology that Michael Faraday developed in the 19th century. We should not be surprised however. Electricity is a complex technology. You can’t see, feel, touch, smell or lift electricity and we understand it only through mathematical abstractions. Distributing it on a large scale calls for sophisticated coordination and management as well. Therefore, it should not be surprising why Africans failed at it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abiola's Family Has Forgiven Al Mustapha, Others / Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics / Housing: Osinbajo Hosts 'Major Stakeholders' In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.