Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,845 members, 7,802,697 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Live And Learn - A Short Film Script - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Live And Learn - A Short Film Script (1377 Views)

Distance: A Short Film By A Nairalander (Video) / My Short Film Script: The Escape / MY MOTHER'S HEART- Short Film Script (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 8:11pm On Nov 15, 2016
LIVE AND LEARN

BY

SHOLAY

EXT. MARKET PLACE- DAY- ESTABLISHING
A longshot of a rowdy, local market with lots of people, mostly women, buying and selling crop produce, poultry birds, animal parts, household items and clothes.

EXT. MARKET PLACE- DAY
The camera follows the footsteps of KEMI (36), a dark-complexioned woman dressed in traditional attire and casual footwear, as she meanders through the crowded market. We soon see her face. She carries a large polybag that is filled with items already purchased, along with her handbag. She reaches the section of the market where live birds are sold and surveys the area with her eyes.

EXT/INT. MARKET PLACE/MADAM CARO’S STAND- DAY
MADAM CARO (48), a plump woman in vest and wrapper, is at her shop where we see many cages of large chickens kept in them. Kemi enters frame.

MADAM CARO
My customer, welcome oh.

KEMI
Thank you ma. How market today?

MADAM CARO
It has been busier than ever. Everybody wants to quickly prepare for Christmas.

CUT TO:

EXT/INT. MARKET PLACE- DAY
Kemi now carries a cage containing one big chicken, her handbag, along with the large polybag and trudges around the market.
SFX- We hear a cell phone ring.
Kemi brings out her cell phone from the handbag, looks at the caller and then, rejects the call.

A FEMALE VOICE FROM AFAR (O.C)
Mummy Jimi! Mummy Jimi! Mummy Jimi!

Kemi suddenly stops and becomes distraught as we get shut out from the noise of the market and the distant call of ‘Mummy Jimi’ is only what we hear. We can hear Kemi’s quick heartbeat too.

CUT TO:

EXT. MANGO TREE- DUSK
We see four grown men seated in chairs, with few bottles of beer lined up in their front. Two of them are busy playing ‘draft’. We see BANKOLE (37), Kemi’s husband, really engrossed in the ‘draft’ game he is playing, as he gulps down beer.

EXT. BUNGALOW/DOOR POST- DUSK
Kemi enters frame, looking frail. She tries opening the door but it appears locked. She brings out a key and unlocks the door.

INT. BUNGALOW/SITTING ROOM- DUSK
TOYIN (5), emerges from the bedroom and runs to hug her. Kemi beams a thin smile.

TOYIN
Mummy, welcome!

Toyin collects her handbag. Kemi leaves with the cage and polybag for the kitchen. She emerges in the sitting room again.

KEMI
Why was the door locked? Where is daddy?

TOYIN
He said he is going out.

KEMI
To where?

TOYIN
Out.

Kemi rolls her eyes and sits on the sofa.

KEMI
Take my handbag to my room-

TOYIN (Looks inside the handbag)
Mummy, what did you buy for me?

KEMI
I didn’t buy anything today; stop searching my bag. (Beat) You won’t listen like that till I smack you. Take it to my room!

Toyin quickly closes the handbag and leaves for the bedroom with it as she is about to cry.
Kemi stares blankly at something on the wall of the sitting room: it is a family picture of Kemi (32), her husband- Bankole (32), Jimi (10) and Toyin (1).

FLASHBACK:

EXT. TARRED ROAD- DAY
Kemi (wears a blue Ankara and a loose hairdo) ambles through a crowd of people that are gathered round something in the middle of the road, amidst panic.

She finally emerges at the scene: her pupils dilate and water builds up in her eyes as she covers her mouth. She collapses to the ground as some people in the crowd rush to her aid. Camera pans to some blood running on the asphalt surface of the tarred road.

END OF FLASHBACK/CUT TO:

EXT. BUNGALOW- NIGHT-ESTABLISHING
We hear the sounds of crickets chirping.

INT. BUNGALOW/DINING ROOM- NIGHT
Kemi, her husband and Toyin are having dinner. There is perfect silence except for the sound of plates, spoons and chewing.

BANKOLE
So, you just want to keep quiet, abi?

Kemi gives him an angry stare and continues to eat.

BANKOLE
Well, I have…

KEMI
What is your problem?

BANKOLE
What is my problem?

KEMI
You left Toyin home to go drinking and…and playing draft again…

BANKOLE
I don’t know what you are talking about. I was at Lanre’s place.

KEMI
Really?

BANKOLE
Hun-hun. He was telling me about this job that I should apply for…

KEMI
And what job is that? I could smell the alcohol in your breath the minute you walked into this house. When will you finally change for good? When?

BANKOLE
Don’t worry, I will tell my friends that my wife…or sorry…my husband-since you are the one with the job-has warned me to stop seeing them and has given me the time for lights out. Is that okay by you?

KEMI
You are unbelievable.

TOYIN (Interrupts)
When will Brother Jimi be back from Lagos?

Kemi and Bankole take furtive glances at each other. Kemi sighs.

BANKOLE
He will be back very soon. Oya, finish your food.

Toyin raises her right shoulder as a sign of ‘no’.

BANKOLE
Don’t be a disobedient child like your brother. You must not waste that food.

KEMI
Tomorrow is 24th by the way…

BANKOLE
Yes I know…Christmas eve…

KEMI
Are you serious? Tomorrow makes it exactly one year…

BANKOLE
I know. Remember your daughter is here, so learn to control yourself.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. BUNGALOW/BEDROOM- NIGHT
We see Bankole fast asleep on the bed, snoring. Kemi comes into frame wearing her night gown and sits on the bed. She is in tears. She cleans her face with her hand but more tears run down her cheeks.

The cell phone on the dressing mirror rings. The caller’s name reads ‘PASTOR 3’. Kemi quickly picks the call and moves to the sitting room. She speaks in a cracked, low register. We can hear the caller from the other end.

KEMI
Stop calling me.

MAN
Why are you doing this to me, Kemi? It is not fair. I can’t stop thinking about you. One year is enough to punish me…

KEMI
I hope you come back to your senses. What ever happened between us was a mistake…

MAN
Was it? Be sincere with yourself; if not…if not for the death of Jimi, you would have probably left that jobless alcoholic by now and be happy with me…

KEMI
Mind your language, Lanre. And my husband only turned to alcohol to cope with Jimi’s death. Listen, I have nothing to do with you again. Please, respect my marriage…and respect your wife…

MAN
-Like you did when we enjoyed each other’s company at my place? Come on, I know you miss me. It’s almost a year now…

KEMI
Don’t ever, ever call me again.

She ends the call and sighs deeply.

CUT TO:

FLASHBACK:

EXT. TARRED ROAD- DAY
We see JIMI (12), in casual shorts and shirt, run from a side of the road and a speeding car emerges ‘from nowhere’ and HITS him, flings him up in the air.

A WOMAN (47), selling groceries by the roadside covers her mouth in shock. Another woman walking by the roadside with her son mouths ‘Yeh’, while she pulls her son closely to her body.

SFX- We hear the screeching sound of brakes as the car is forced to a halt.
There is a mighty thud as Jimi falls on the ground with blood running from his head and nostrils. His right hand loosens and we see a 200 naira note in his palm. Two hefty-looking men scamper to the middle of road. The driver of the car switches on the engine and zooms off quickly!

EXT. BUNGALOW/DOOR POST- DAY
We see lots of footwear on the doormat. Sounds of weeping emanate from the house.

INT. BUNGALOW/SITTING ROOM- DAY
Kemi is seated on the chair as she cries bitterly, pacified by two young ladies and an elderly woman.

Camera moves to the dining room as we see Jimi’s father, Bankole, seated with his best friend- AYO (33), and Ayo’s young son, OLA (11). Bankole tries not to cry but bursts into tears.

AYO
Oh…Banky. Be a man. What do you expect this woman to do if you are acting like this?

Bankole cleans his eyes as he shakes his head in sadness. Ola wipes tears from his face too.

AYO
God gives and He takes. You just have to be strong for your wife and your little daughter. Our tears will not bring him back.

BANKOLE
-But I warned him not to go out! I did. I just had that negative feeling and warned him not to go play ball. He begged me but I refused. Little did I know that he will go behind my back and…and…see the result.
(To Ola)
Ola, don’t be disobedient to your father like your friend, okay?

AYO
I’ve even banned him from going to the stadium to play ball. He dare not disobey me. (Sighs) But Bankole, I am really, really sorry.

FADE BLACK/END OF FLASHBACK

EXT. CHURCH BUILDING- DAY- ESTABLISHING
Hymn songs emanate from an unpainted building with a clean surrounding beautified with bright flowers.

INT. CHURCH BUILDING- DAY
We see members of the congregation singing hymns. Camera pans to Bankole, seated at the section for men. We see Kemi sing from her seat as the hymn comes to its end.

DISSOLVE TO:

PASTOR (52), stands on the pulpit wearing a suit and preaches.

PASTOR
In John 14:6, Jesus Christ said to Thomas: ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me’. No one! If you open to John 8:32 which says: ‘You will know the truth, and the truth shall set you free’. Jesus is the truth in that passage as we read from John 14:6. He is the only one that can make you free. Say after me, ‘Jesus shall set me free’...

CONGREGATION
Jesus shall set me free...

PASTOR
‘The truth shall set me free’

Camera pans to Kemi.

KEMI/CONGREGATION
The truth shall set me free.

CUT TO:

INT. BUNGALOW/KITCHEN- DAY
Kemi, dressed in ‘the blue Ankara’, adds some seasoning to the soup being cooked in the big pot. She rinses her hand into the sink and dries it with a nearby napkin. She picks up a ladle and stirs the soup on fire and gently covers the pot for it to simmer. She places the ladle on a plate and casually deeps her hands in her pocket. She pauses. She slowly brings out her right hand from the pocket, holding a 200 naira note. She is shocked and devastated.

FLASHBACK:

Kemi, dressed in the same Blue Ankara (but with a loose hairdo), is seated in a chair as she watches the food on the stove while she talks to someone on phone happily in a low register. The male voice from the other end is familiar.

KEMI
I am doing fine. And you?

MAN
I am good. Thanks for calling back. My credit just finished.

KEMI
I miss you. That Friday was just...can we meet again after this whole Christmas thing but before the New Year?

MAN
I was sure you will come back asking for more. I am not sure of meeting before the New Year because my wife is always around nowadays.

KEMI (Rolls eyes)
Just say you don’t want me again...

MAN
Come on. Of course I do. In fact, you are all I think about now. My wife is becoming suspicious.

KEMI
Hm-hm?

MAN
I swear...

KEMI
But you have to-

The call suddenly ends. Kemi presses some keys on her phone and then looks at the phone with disgust.

KEMI
This stupid network...ah ah...thought I had some credit.

She dips her hand in her pocket and brings out a 200 naira note.

KEMI
(Raises her voice)
Jimi! Jimi!

JIMI (0.S)
Ma!

KEMI
Come oh.

Jimi emerges at the kitchen in casual shorts and shirt, exactly like in the previous flashback.

JIMI
Ma...

KEMI
Please, help me buy 200 naira credit from Mrs Tawa.

JIMI
Daddy said I shouldn’t go out. I wanted to go to stadium but he refused. He said...

KEMI
I am not sending you to stadium. You can just take this kitchen backdoor and quickly get me the credit. And if your father asks of you, I know what to tell him.

JIMI
But daddy can be very...

KEMI
Is he not my husband? And are you not also my son? Go and get me credit jare. Mrs Tawa’s place is just on the other side of the road. Quickly go.

JIMI
Yes ma.

Jimi collects the 200 naira note from his mother and leaves through the backdoor quietly as Kemi gets up to check the food on the stove. She picks up a ladle and stirs the food.

SFX- We soon hear the screeching sound of a car from a distance. Kemi looks swiftly towards the window.

END OF FLASHBACK:

Kemi is still looking outside through the kitchen window, with tears in her eyes, and the 200 naira note firmly held in her hand. The voice of Toyin suddenly catches her attention.

TOYIN
Mummy, why are you crying?

KEMI (cleans her eyes)
Cry? No...I...I am not crying. I thought you were with daddy.

TOYIN
I want to play with mummy.
(Moves closer)
Why are you crying? Is it because Brother Jimi is not spending Christmas with us?

Kemi gently nods as she tries to fight back tears.

TOYIN
I miss him but daddy said he will soon be back from Lagos to spend Christmas with us next year.

KEMI (mutters)
I wish.

FADE OUT
Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 8:13pm On Nov 15, 2016
@prof800, @villageboi, @briareos, @speedyboi, @semid4lyfe @tonyayo, @morsadh, @lynx200, @ignatio, @cnario, @chromatic, @StateofMind, @IyaEjima, @thesoj, @onegig @enoquin @lalasticlala et al.
Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by prof800(m): 9:58pm On Nov 15, 2016
Our own sholay is back!
Welcome back. Nice short.
Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 10:00pm On Nov 15, 2016
prof800:
Our own sholay is back!

Welcome back. Nice short.
Lol...thanks very much bro. smiley
Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by Brimmie(m): 11:21pm On Nov 15, 2016
Mr. Oga is back!!

**let me read it**

Wow! Nice suspense! Nice short!

Welcome Back bruh! smiley

1 Like

Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 11:42pm On Nov 15, 2016
Brimmie:
Mr. Oga is back!!

**let me read it**

Wow! Nice suspense! Nice short!

Welcome Back bruh! smiley
Thanks very much bro!
Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by semid4lyfe(m): 6:43am On Nov 16, 2016
*Quickly perused*

A bit confusing in the beginning but it all came together at the end.

Verdict: Not particularly engrossing or interesting.

1 Like

Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 9:25am On Nov 16, 2016
semid4lyfe:
*Quickly perused*

A bit confusing in the beginning but it all came together at the end.

Verdict: Not particularly engrossing or interesting.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by Ignatio(m): 1:35pm On Nov 17, 2016
*Smiles* Simple and cute. This if shot will catch an award.

1 Like

Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 2:05pm On Nov 17, 2016
Ignatio:
*Smiles* Simple and cute. This if shot will catch an award.
Make e catch award o! grin Thanks.

I think the script will translate very well onscreen than just on the pages.
Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by nanaiza: 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2016
@sholay2011 good one.
Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 9:13pm On Nov 19, 2016
nanaiza:
@sholay2011 good one.
Thanks T. smiley

1 Like

Re: Live And Learn - A Short Film Script by tosan200(m): 8:19am On Nov 21, 2016
Whoop! Whoop! Sholay is back.
The endless back and forth makes this script confusing.
The story doesn't have this wow factor, basically it's just an average effort.

(1) (Reply)

Game Of Thrones Season 7 - New Facts- Key Points -new Leaks / Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. / DOWNLOAD: Festival Of Seduction Season 1 Latest Nigerian 2019 Nollywood Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.