Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,804 members, 7,806,244 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate (16889 Views)

12 States Owe Salaries Despite Bailout Funds From FG / Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him / Why We Can’t Probe Dogara, Others – House Ethics Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by marryjesus: 6:13am On Nov 16, 2016
The Ekiti State Government has rebuffed the plan by the Senate to investigate utilisation of bailout funds granted the state to settle salary arrears by the Federal Government.

Generally, the Ayo Fayose-governed Ekiti said, Nigeria’s federal system does not give the Senate the constitutional power to exercise oversight over finances of the states.

PREMIUM TIMES understands the Senate Committee on State and Local Government Administration led by Gumel Abubakar (APC-Jigawa), had written some states, including Ekiti, since November 3, telling them its intention to probe how the funds were disbursed.

In his letter, Mr. Abubakar told the governors that President Muhammadu Buhari had expressed his worry to the National Assembly on the application of bailouts granted to some states; and consequently, Senate President Bukola Saraki directed his committee to conduct oversight on the disbursement of salary bailouts.
“Your Excellency, it is based on this directive that the Committee will undertake a tour of all states that have benefited from bailout with the view to oversight records of transactions for the salary bailout grant,” the Senate wrote.

But Ekiti State, in a November 11 letter received on November 14, faulted the plan by the Senate.
The letter was signed by the State’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Owoseni Ajayi.

Mr. Ajayi said although Ekiti appreciated the intentions of the federal lawmakers, the government would not open its books to the Senate due to constitutional impediments.
The letter read in part: “It is incontrovertible that the duty of oversight of government’s financial activities by the legislative arm in Nigeria is a constitutional matter and the diligent performance of this duty in a time like this, when our nation is in economic recession, cannot be overemphasised.

“We therefore appreciate the intentions and aspirations of the National Assembly in the above regard, which, we have no doubt, are aimed at ensuring fiscal discipline, financial integrity, accountability and probity of government and its relevant agencies at all levels.However, we respectfully wish to observe that we are constrained, as a state government bound by the principles of federalism and the rule of law, to accede to your proposal to exercise oversight powers over the disbursement of the bailout granted to Ekiti State by the Federal Government because it is legally and constitutionally outside the powers of the Senate of the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“In this regard, we wish to draw your attention to the clear provisions of Sections 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 and 125 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), which vests the powers of oversight functions in respect of states’ finances exclusively in the respective state Houses of Assembly.”

On April 22, anti-graft agency, ICPC, released a report, detailing how the states diverted the bailout funds.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/215469-cant-probe-i-spent-bailout-funds-fayose-tells-senate.html

4 Likes

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by ekesimo(m): 6:16am On Nov 16, 2016
OK. neeext!
Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by olasmith10(m): 6:25am On Nov 16, 2016
This is a political example of "Monkey deh work, Baboon deh chop....Moreover, a clear conscience fears no accusations, The restraints exhibited by Ekiti is due to nothing else but large misappropriation of the bail out funds, if not, we could as well spared this long epistle largely supported by this "corruption- friendly constitution"

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Nobody: 6:26am On Nov 16, 2016
This guy too dey talk jare

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by alizma: 6:28am On Nov 16, 2016
hahahahaha, fayose don use ekiti state bail out carry market women finish.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by omowolewa: 6:30am On Nov 16, 2016
When the money is removed directly from State allocation, hope nobody will probe that too?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by casttlebarbz(m): 6:32am On Nov 16, 2016
Werey ni bobo yi sha....as in Muhfuka ni

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by kernel504(m): 6:34am On Nov 16, 2016
What a nation! How can the national assembly oversight over the spending of a state, when there is a state assembly?

Buhari, will grind the economy of Nigeria to a halt with all these impunity.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by OlujobaSamuel: 6:36am On Nov 16, 2016
chai!!! ekiti kete ooo, dis don pass one chance

4 Likes

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by klassykute(m): 6:38am On Nov 16, 2016
is a boss oo
Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by ayindejimmy(m): 6:42am On Nov 16, 2016
kernel504:
What a nation! How can the national assembly oversight over the spending of a state, when there is a state assembly?

Bailout fund is not Federal allocation
o!
That is the terms and conditions

#Modified
You cannot borrow a loan from the bank and say the bank shouldn't monitor the loan. What if you spend it on "Baba Ejebu?"

The last bailout was given to pay state civil servants but some states spent it frivolously, now they want another one
Moreover, there's no bailout in the Constitution

97 Likes 10 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by kernel504(m): 6:51am On Nov 16, 2016
ayindejimmy:

Bailout fund is not State allocation

Is federal allocation state fund?... The center government has no jurisdiction oversighting the spending of state, state assembly does.

12 Likes

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Young03(m): 7:08am On Nov 16, 2016
Nae him know
Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by cyberguy72(m): 7:40am On Nov 16, 2016
The Useless Senators Should also Probe Aregbe Rascal,Oshio-worwor and all other thieving APC Governors Nonesense

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Mjshexy(f): 7:49am On Nov 16, 2016
After using the people's money to play bet & away matches, i just pity this guy because what awaits him is totally out of this world... grin

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by herzern1(m): 8:40am On Nov 16, 2016

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by ceeethru(m): 8:40am On Nov 16, 2016
This is to show governors are the may cause of poverty on Nigeria, they are hiding under immunity to defraud federal government allocation, they seize workers salaries and get their own salary, the rule with impunity, they are criminals in power, when EFCC probes them they attack buhari for witch hunting, and some fools who can not eat three square meal a day right from Jonathan regime will still support them. Governors like Fayose is one of the reasons we are in this recession not buhari hoha, they collect security votes which I think should be scrapped from the constitution.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by LordGuru1: 8:44am On Nov 16, 2016
wink
Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Kaodek(m): 8:49am On Nov 16, 2016
Nigeria constitution sef undecided
Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Kachimsicho: 8:49am On Nov 16, 2016
ayindejimmy:

Bailout fund is not State allocation
Was there an agreement on what to actually use the fund for? And was it agreed that FG will verify the expenses(accounts) thereafter.
As far as rule of law is concerned, they have no right to oversee any state expenses. Mind you, the bailout fund will still be deducted from their allocation just like a loan, so don't think FG is giving them for free.

It is actually left for the concerned states to decide what they want, so if Ekiti insists they want to follow the rule, the FG should let them be.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by shortgun(m): 8:50am On Nov 16, 2016
The Governor is correct.
Federal Govt. Can't probe state Govt.
The state is a federating unit, with every apparatus of Govt in place....check and balances should happen at the state level.

The Governor is the "President" of a state. It will be counterproductive if agencies of the Federal govt begin to bully and order Governors around.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by ceo12: 8:51am On Nov 16, 2016
kernel504:

Bros go patch your brain e dey lick......even though we all hate buhari, but this your comment shows your brain has finished licking, eh remain half litre

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by hotice01: 8:51am On Nov 16, 2016
Senate should have written to the state assembly.
I'm not in support of corruption but due process should be respected.
It's the duty of the state house of assembly to monitor and probe the spendings of the state government and then maybe forward findings to the national assembly I.e Senate.
Same way it's only the national assembly that can probe the federal government spendings.
#JustMyOpinionThough

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Tobitrueman(m): 8:52am On Nov 16, 2016
ghocol9:
If you know your rights nobody will kick you around

True talk

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Sexytemi(f): 8:53am On Nov 16, 2016
Hnmmm
Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by micklplus(m): 8:54am On Nov 16, 2016
kernel504:

Is federal allocation state fund?... The center government has no jurisdiction oversighting the.. spending of state, state assembly does.

But....FG can bailout when there is financial crisis, right?

Na wah for you oo

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Empredboy(m): 8:57am On Nov 16, 2016
kernel504:

is the money a lone or grant? If it's a grant then either constitution or not the spending must be followed. Was the bailout constitutional? From which account is bailout fund coming from? Federation account or contingency account?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by BCISLTD: 8:59am On Nov 16, 2016
angry
Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Otemaseri: 9:00am On Nov 16, 2016
Hmmm
Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by President99: 9:00am On Nov 16, 2016
kernel504:

Is federal allocation state fund?... The center government has no jurisdiction oversighting the spending of state, state assembly does.
Yes! The federal allocation belongs to state n FG can be sued if it fails....., but bail out fund was a special package given to the criminal governors all r criminals without exception of any to pay salaries of their workers only, but was/were looted by the same governors who had complained of shortage fund earlier. What an irony of life!. For instance, ICPC discovered Zamfara gov wrote to its lawbreakers to appropriate d bail out fund to buy cars for politicians, same gory stories with diff modification in all the the states who collected d fund. Nigeria project is a joke!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 16, 2016
fayose...

please click the link on my signature. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Reacts To The Death Of Kofi Annan / Kano Assembly Speaker, Majority Leader, Deputy Majority Leader Resign / 5 APC Chieftains Dump Party For PDP In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.