Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

The Thing About Random Access Memory (RAM). - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Thing About Random Access Memory (RAM). (1104 Views)

Micro Soft Surface Pro 2@ Reasonable Price,256gb, Memory Ram,8gb / ✈✳✅Newer And Available American Used Laptops With High Ram!!! Memory. / Asus Core I7 4gb 500gb With 1gb ATI graphics memory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Thing About Random Access Memory (RAM). by Sotenna(m): 6:14am On Nov 16, 2016
Everyone who has a computer or a phone at one point or the other must have heard about RAM.

In this post I'll be telling you what it is, and what it isn't.

There are a lot of confusion surrounding what the computer RAM actually does.

Firstly, let's know what a RAM actually is. It's a flash memory, a kind of temporary memory holding the data of whatever application or task that is currently running on your computer.

Okay, now that we know what it basically is let's get to know what it does and doesn't.

Firstly, contrary to what a lot of people think, more RAM size doesn't necessarily make your computer run FASTER, but it makes it run SMOOTHER. The speed at which your computer works depends on the processor speed of your computer's CPU. Your RAM comes in handy during multitasking activities on your computer.

The more the RAM size the more tasks your PC can hold in it's flash memory. For example, on a phone with 1 GB of RAM, if you open about six apps, and the flash memory is getting filled up, your phone will automatically start closing some of those apps leaving only the ones you're actively working on, but if that phone has let's say 2 GB of RAM, the number of processes it can handle at the same time increases (this is memory management).

The RAM exists so that your computer doesn’t have to go fetch items from your computer hard drive each time that item is called up for use.

N/B: A 32 bits computer (X86) can't efficiently use anything more than 2GB of RAM, but a 64 bits (X64) machine can effectively utilize any amount of RAM you feed it. So if you are using a 32 bits PC 2GB is all you can use, don’t go looking for more, it'll make no difference.
Re: The Thing About Random Access Memory (RAM). by hapheeyxz: 6:18am On Nov 16, 2016
K
Re: The Thing About Random Access Memory (RAM). by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 16, 2016
there are two major function of RAM, you didnt state one.

without the RAM, your computer will not display.

we have the SD RAM, DDR1, DDR2, DDR3 and the latest DDR4.

the DDR3 is available in 2 types we have the PC3 and PC3L, the PC3L is mostly used with all this latest system especially those with 1 memory slot, note that whether PC3 or PC3L, they both have the same bus speed.

each RAM have different bus speed and size they stop at.

let me stop here, if u want me to continue tell the op
Re: The Thing About Random Access Memory (RAM). by computerboy: 8:00pm On Nov 16, 2016
There's DDR3L also. The version that uses low power and can't be replaced with DDR3 if the motherboard is designed for it (DDR3L) or else the CPU will be fried.

The OP did a good job though
Re: The Thing About Random Access Memory (RAM). by Oluwaseunsodiq(m): 4:12pm On Nov 17, 2016
32bit PCs can actually use up to 64gb through a feature known as PAE (Physical address extension).

(1) (Reply)

Compaq Wide-screen F500 For Sales / Recommed A Laptop For A Student / Where Can I Trade In My Old Laptop With Money To Get A New One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.