Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity (4622 Views)

Professor's Wife Bags Ph.d In Mathematics, Son Bags Degree In Engineering. Photo / Nigerian Student, Tobi Olasunkanmi Tops UK Varsity / 25-Year-Old Bags Ph.D At Babcock University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by Consultant(f): 4:22pm On Jan 05, 2007
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=67065

At a time when many his age would thank their stars for being able to acquire a first degree and some dare to acquire a second one instead of looking for a job, Dr. Nkem Karl Omebere-Iyari has distinguished himself as an exceptionally gifted Nigerian. At the recent Graduation Ceremonies of the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, Omebere-Iyari who turns 23 on the 16th of this month, bagged a Ph.D in Chemical Engineering. The degree had been completed in a record time of 36 months, straight from his first degree and with a EU Grant of £17, 000 per year for the three years.
Those who know his antecedents would not have expected anything less. The son of the Central Bank's Deputy Director, Banking Operations, Mr. James Omebere Iyari had graduated with a First Class Honours Degree in Chemical Engineering at the age of 19 in 2003. He was the best graduating student in Chemical Engineering that year. Before then, he had attended the Oxbridge Tutorial College, Ikeja, Lagos, where he sat for the Cambridge Advanced Level examinations in Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry at the age of 16 in 2000, scoring A in all three. Yet before then, he had attempted the Cambridge GCE ‘O’ level examination, at the age of 14, in June 1998 and got six credits. At the end of his Senior Secondary education at the King's College, Lagos, Omebere-Iyari, then 16 had eight As, including five A1s. Ironically, he never got his UME scores. The results of the examination, which he wrote at a centre in Epe, Lagos were cancelled along with others in that centre. His father, who also had a Second Class Upper Division in Business Administration from the University of Benin, said at the weekend that, since his son did well in the Cambridge ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels, as well as the SAT and TOEFL, where he scored over 80 and 90 percent respectively, the family decided that he should go to the UK.
The first of three sons, the native of Owanta in the Ika North-East Local Government Area of Delta State had won many academic laurels from his primary school days at the CBN Primary School, Satellite Town, Lagos. He did his internship with Procter and Gamble, Brussels, Belgium in 2002. Through a European Union funding, he was also at SINTEF Laboratory, one of the world’s leading Flow facilities at Trondheim, Norway in 2004; and German Nuclear Research Centre at Dresden, last year. Omebere-Iyari has participated in several seminars and workshops in the UK and Europe, while his articles in Chemical Engineering have been published in International Journals. He currently works as Process Engineer/Consultant at KBR Company, a subsidiary of Haliburton Group at Leatherhead, UK.
Should Omebere-Iyari not come home to contribute his knowledge and skills to the development of the country? He could not be reached to answer this question, but his father said, "He is a very patriotic Nigerian and is interested in the development of the country. But he wants to get further international experience before coming back home."
Iyari, who also holds a Diploma in Petroleum Refining Technology could not imagine what would have been his son’s lot if he had remained here. ìRight from his first year in the university, all his designs were computer based. We should try and develop the education sector in the country so that our youths can realise their full potentials. Whether in the Arts, Social Science or the Sciences, our school libraries and laboratories should be well-equipped. Computers should be made available to the students.’ He sees his son as an inspiration to his peers, that they can achieve whatever goals they set for themselves as long as they remain focussed and work hard.
The proud mother, Pastor Kikanwa Omebere-Iyari, who is also a business woman and farmer, said, ìHe has made us proud and I tell him it to his face. For him to be so God-fearing and well-behaved even when I was not there, young as he was, I thank God.”
Mr. Iyari said their other children are high fliers too. The second son is a Part Two Student of Economics at the Dakar Campus of the Suffolk University, Boston, USA, while the last, a Science Student, is in his final year in secondary school.
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by Ndipe(m): 10:43pm On Jan 05, 2007
An achievement indeed, but not bragging or anything, Nigerians are becoming well known in the academic setting in the Western countries.
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by LoverBwoy(m): 4:07pm On Jan 06, 2007
Good job wink

We should try and develop the education sector in the country so that our youths can realise their full potentials. Whether in the Arts, Social Science or the Sciences, our school libraries and laboratories should be well-equipped. Computers should be made available to the students.’ He sees his son as an inspiration to his peers, that they can achieve whatever goals they set for themselves as long as they remain focussed and work hard.
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by steaming(f): 1:23pm On Jul 31, 2009
nice one, congrats to him!
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by Thomaths(m): 3:03pm On Jul 31, 2009
Am happy at this. I'll get there also by God's grace though I might not be able to beat this age record
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by kaycast(m): 7:00pm On Jul 31, 2009
Wow wonderful, another feather in our cap, and i strongly believe its just the begening, i believe so much in Nigeria and especially in the youths .

FOR THE NIGERIAN YOUTH; http://nigerian-youth..com
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by SEFAGO(m): 8:09am On Aug 01, 2009
stop applauding mediocrity mates, check the people at PhD institutions in the US and UK, what u are clapping for like monkeys is what indians and chines have 100 times.
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by Sagamite(m): 5:05am On Sep 24, 2009
SEFAGO:

stop applauding mediocrity mates, check the people at PhD institutions in the US and UK, what u are clapping for like monkeys is what indians and chines have 100 times.

Huh?
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by SEFAGO(m): 7:53am On Sep 24, 2009
I knew you were going to reappear- it was abt time grin grin grin. You are as predictable as a chimp.

This statement wasn't haughty. I dont think it is anything wrong reminding my countrymen to strive for the best even though i am mediocre I want the best for my children. Did you read the economist feature on management gurus:

http://www.economist.com/businessfinance/management/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13167376

No nigerian, why should I be happy. I wouldn't rest until my countrymen are amongst the best.

By the way this is a purely educational (ignore the chimp statement i was being cheeky grin):

How is it that a strategy analyst has so much time to post on nairaland. Like, I thought I-bankers spent crazy hours, like 60-80 hrs a week (I am totally ignorant). Or is it the recession, no deals, M&A, no imaginary money to make or IPO to issue  grin grin grin (cheeky). I just want to know how the city of london is faring compared to wall street. All I hear is wall street, abeg educate me. How many hours do you work, what schools are the most represented in city of london (I heard 80% are either oxbridge, UCL, LSE , Imperial- is that true? (I dont want to know your school, I am interested in learning about a new system), What courses do most people study?  I want to learn about city of london. How is Lloyds TSB, HSBC,  RBS (royal scotland doing), barclays, halifax ? You could choose to answer, it is your prerogative.
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 24, 2009
SEFAGO:

Can you please shut your orifice?
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by nana(f): 4:12pm On Sep 24, 2009
SEFAGO:

U are one sad creature!
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by CHADASHU(m): 4:15pm On Sep 24, 2009
Deleted

1 Like

Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by SEFAGO(m): 6:09pm On Sep 24, 2009
U are one sad creature!.

No I am quite happy mate. Just a realist. When was that a crime?

Can you please shut your orifice?

Yes i will

Ok, it is closed now, pourquoi?
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by nasuite: 6:00am On Sep 25, 2009
hmmm! na wa ooo. m sef 4 don b prof at d age of 18 if no b regular faceoff btw ASUU and FG.come to think of it, why d man pikin go yankee?e 4 graduate 4 naija now with al dem yeye strike action.na hia e 4 prove am if e 4 graduate at dat age.
as far as i'm concerned al our top oga's pikin supos dey study 4 naija,afterall na dem spoil am.m i no c anytin 2 rejoice hia about am.na dem configure pips dey go yeye school na waa 4 our leaders.dem dey send dia pikin go beta school 2 achiv beta things kom dey liv our fikin in d hands of ASSu and FG. cry embarassed cry

1 Like

Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by folahann(m): 1:30pm On Oct 01, 2011
Wow! Deserves an applause
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by Analysiscorner: 10:12am On Jun 30, 2015
That's very lovely. I really like this. And this obviously didn't make front page since 2007, considering the few comments.
Re: 22 Year-old Nigerian Bags Ph.d In Uk Varsity by Christine01(f): 12:08pm On Jun 30, 2015
cool

CHADASHU:
Hi Consultant, thanks for that news. Dont know what to describe it, good or bad? Nothing personal, but I envy the guy, Joseph Epstein said we do not choose the time and conditions of our birth, He was lucky to be born into such a wealthy family, and thank goodness He took his chances, as his mother said.I jus hope the transformation of this land will take place in my generation, and this ever- widening gap between haves and havesnot will be ever closed.

(1) (Reply)

OVER 500 TUITION FREE UNIVERSITY ABROAD / Neco Math Obj / Jamb's First Tops 10 Ranked Most Preferred Universities For 2013/2014 Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.