Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan (4251 Views)

First Bank Uyo Shut Down As A Result Of Juju (pics) / First Bank To Shut Operations For 5 Days / Dpk In Storage @ N74 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by REALTRUTH1: 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2009
Nigeria biggest bank, First Bank revealed today it had non-performing loans of about N75 billion, as at September this year, five times more than the level of such toxic loans recorded at the same time last year.

The revelation came today as the bank presented its first half year report to the Nigeria Stock Exchange in Lagos . Banking insiders believe that the entire banking sector may be carrying in their books over $10 billion, about N1.5trillion, in toxic assets, loans that went really bad.

By making provisions for its share of the errant loans, First Bank saw its group pre-tax profit falling to N3.19 billion ($21 million) , a tenth of what it recorded a year earlier.

It was not all bad news for the bank, however, as its gross earnings rose to N128.14 billion from N96.95 billion in the same period of last year. The bank surpassed Guaranty Trust Bank on this score. GTB which recently released its half year result, posted a turnover of N127 billion. With a much lower bad loan of N18 billion, GTB however recorded a profit after tax of N15.9 billion.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/11/03/first-bank-reports-n74-billion-bad-loan
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by chosen04(f): 5:00pm On Nov 04, 2009
A whole N75 billion? Saint Sanusi has to tell Nigerians what want wrong! Sanusi is nothing but a pregnant Virgin.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naso2(m): 5:05pm On Nov 04, 2009
Aside the provisioning for these loans , I have consistently asked that the CBN release the names of the bad debtors in the "healthy" banks but Sanusi in his "wisdom" did not.

We still dey watch. Banking stocks go reach rock bottom very soon
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 04, 2009
chosen04:

A whole N75 billion?  Saint Sanusi has to tell Nigerians what want wrong! Sanusi is nothing but a pregnant Virgin.
All the Banks had bad loans ( I know a lot of Bankers who had to forfit their salaries due to  the failure of their customers to service loans)but the ones indicted were overexposed, that means they gave out most of the bank money and had no working capital. They were almost distressed. First Bank is reporting Bank Loan alongside profit.
@Topic, am happy with this development, now banks are being more honest and open because they know they will be a closser look at their books. No more bogus declaration of Profit.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by chosen04(f): 5:26pm On Nov 04, 2009
aisha2:

All the Banks had bad loans ( I know a lot of Bankers who had to forfit their salaries due to the failure of their customers to service loans)but the ones indicted were overexposed, that means they gave out most of the bank money and had no working capital. They were almost distressed. First Bank is reporting Bank Loan alongside profit.
@Topic, am happy with this development, now banks are being more honest and open because they know they will be a closser look at their books. No more bogus declaration of Profit.

If a whole of 75 billion non-performing loan was given under Sanusi's tenure then he his not holier than others. 75 billon of shareholders money is huge.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naso2(m): 5:29pm On Nov 04, 2009
aisha2:

All the Banks had bad loans ( I know a lot of Bankers who had to forfit their salaries due to  the failure of their customers to service loans)but the ones indicted were overexposed, that means they gave out most of the bank money and had no working capital. They were almost distressed. First Bank is reporting Bank Loan alongside profit.

Agreed but    ,

If I may ask , what is the EFCC and SLS doing about the "bad debtors" of the healthy banks. Or the bad debtors that have stubbornly refused to pay are free to do as they like in this case unlike the sanctioned banks?

Why did the CBN not publish the bad loans for all the "healthy"  banks for nigerians to fairly appraise the entire process?

No matter how you look at it , there are salient questions that have been left unanswered.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 04, 2009
chosen04:

If a whole of 75 billion non-performing loan was given under Sanusi's tenure then he his not holier than others. 75 billon of shareholders money is huge.
Sanusi spent barely 6 months in First Bank, I dont think all that money was given as bad loans when he was ther.
Plus, lets look beyond the Sanusi and whatever agenda. I heard UBA reported  a loss. Banks are now more honest about their books, First \bank reporting Bad loans, its a good sign because shareholders will now know the true state of their bank instead of the doctored reports we ve been getting for years
He became First Bank MD in May and was CBN Gov in late |July abi early august
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by citizenY(m): 5:40pm On Nov 04, 2009
Where are the Sanusi bashers, his chest has been exposed----------- come for your pound of flesh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naso2(m): 5:40pm On Nov 04, 2009
aisha2:

Sanusi spent barely 6 months in First Bank, I dont think all that money was given as bad loans when he was ther.

So wrong my dear.

The man(SANUSI) was ED RISK from 2005-2009. So whats the point?
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 04, 2009
na_so:

So wrong my dear.

The man(SANUSI) was ED RISK from 2005-2009. So whats the point?
Look beyond Sanusi. are you not happy now that your bank will report its true state to you everytimme they bring an annual report, or do you prefer doctored reports
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naso2(m): 6:02pm On Nov 04, 2009
aisha2:

Look beyond Sanusi. are you not happy now that your bank will report its true state to you everytimme they bring an annual report, or do you prefer doctored reports

We want true statements sure. But if the CBN is not transparent in this exercise we will only be postponing the evil day. It could still be that the 74billion FBN gave is an understatement of the facts.

I am looking beyond sanusi thats why I am asking questions about the process.

The question is , does sanusi look beyond himself in this exercise? If another "umpire" comes and runs a fair audit, will all the banks he has pronounced safe come out clean?
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by edwin101: 6:11pm On Nov 04, 2009
if truely sanusi was in first bank for only 6 months then i guess he has been exornorated. but wait why didnt he mention first bank when he anounced the first five banks Hmmmmmmm! lipsrsealed
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naso2(m): 6:19pm On Nov 04, 2009
edwin101:

if truely sanusi was in first bank for only 6 months then i guess he has been exornorated. but wait why didnt he mention first bank when he anounced the first five banks Hmmmmmmm! lipsrsealed

Oga ,

Sanusi was the Executive Director Risk management in FBN from 2005 to 2008. He became the GMD in 2009. This 6 months theory is not correct.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by chosen04(f): 7:34pm On Nov 04, 2009
Then let him publish the list of all Bank debtors. One can never tell if his name and family members will be there, thus, his reason for partial info. on bank debtors.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2009
When the list of debtors was first published, I argued that it will affect the healthy banks negatively. Now for the so called distressed banks, they have capital inflow while the healthy ones have capital outflow except GTBank. Most of ordinary debtors of these distressed banks whose names weren't even published have the jitters and have been taking ODs from the so-called healthy banks to service NPLs in the distressed banks.

I dont think names should have been published without the CBN secretly intervening because its against healthy banking practise to publish names of your debtors no matter the classifications of their loans.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naijatoday: 4:11pm On Nov 05, 2009
dappssee:

When the list of debtors was first published, I argued that it will affect the healthy banks negatively. Now for the so called distressed banks, they have capital inflow while the healthy ones have capital outflow except GTBank. Most of ordinary debtors of these distressed banks whose names weren't even published have the jitters and have been taking ODs from the so-called healthy banks to service NPLs in the distressed banks.

I dont think names should have been published without the CBN secretly intervening because its against healthy banking practise to publish names of your debtors no matter the classifications of their loans.

Why is GTBank exempted?

Is the Risk manager the ones that give out loans?
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by bawomolo(m): 4:21pm On Nov 05, 2009
You guys are paranoid.

not all the loans were given out during sanusi's short tenure.

na_so:

Oga ,

Sanusi was the Executive Director Risk management in FBN from 2005 to 2008. He became the GMD in 2009. This 6 months theory is not correct.

is he the one responsible for approving loans?
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by obyann(f): 4:27pm On Nov 05, 2009
aisha2:

Why do we have to look beyond Sanusi? He should have reported the bad loan in First Bank alongside with other banks.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by obyann(f): 4:38pm On Nov 05, 2009
edwin101:

and how many month was he as a CBN gov before publishing the first list, less than 6 months sad
Remember Sanusi audited First bank with others and never reported N74b bad loan shocked
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by saworoide: 4:40pm On Nov 05, 2009
Giving out loans that subsequently turns bad is VERY different from giving out loans without collateral. Bad loans is not alien to banking. Besides, the magnitude of FBN's bad loans has to be examined along side the loan portfolio size.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by SGN(m): 4:40pm On Nov 05, 2009
I think the crux of the matter is that all banks have bad loans.  But the ratio of the bad loans to capital base and total loan portfolio is what is unbelievably high in the distressed bank that almost tilted them over the edge and turned the to perpetual borrowers in the EDW and hence the CBN intervention.

Now, 1billion bad loan might be enough to cause company A to be distressed and it might take 10billion to get company B in the same situation.  There is no one with magic wand that can be used to ensure no loan granted by his bank will not go bad.  There are conditions out there that can throw all logic and analysis to the gutters.

If conditions for granting these loans in FirstBank were found out not to have followed the best practices (which might not), and their position is as bad as any of the mentioned distressed bank, trust me there are insiders who are loyal to some of the shamed guys that would have blown the whistle.

The good thing we need to take from all that is happening is that bank can at least present to us something closer to their true state henceforth unlike the gimmicks and the more you look the less you see situation of the past.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by hbrednic: 4:41pm On Nov 05, 2009
SLS should publish the result of the audit he carried out for all to see.
he was the risk manager in FBN for many years so can come FBN is having so much in NPL.
if not for the last N250B FBN offer,the bank will be distressed by now.
the man is no better than the crooks he disgraced.

what realy was the fault of UNION BANK if FBN is having N74b NPL.
Union doesnt have a Abraham as father.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by kuraking(m): 4:46pm On Nov 05, 2009
SANUSI JUST THEY MAKE MOUTH SINCE
THE BALL DON FALL ENTER E COURT
MAKE WE SEE AS E GO TAKE DRIBBLE NIGERIANS NOW

SANUSI CLEAR THE AIR OH, THIS WAS THE BANK YOU MANAGED
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naijatoday: 4:48pm On Nov 05, 2009
SGN:

I think the crux of the matter is that all banks have bad loans.  But the ratio of the bad loans to capital base and total loan portfolio is what is unbelievably high in the distressed bank that almost tilted them over the edge and turned the to perpetual borrowers in the EDW and hence the CBN intervention.

Now, 1billion bad loan might be enough to cause company A to be distressed and it might take 10billion to get company B in the same situation.  There is no one with magic wand that can be used to ensure no loan granted by his bank will not go bad.  There are conditions out there that can throw all logic and analysis to the gutters.

If conditions for granting these loans in FirstBank were found out not to have followed the best practices (which might not), and their position is as bad as any of the mentioned distressed bank, trust me there are insiders who are loyal to some of the shamed guys that would have blown the whistle.

The good thing we need to take from all that is happening is that bank can at least present to us something closer to their true state henceforth unlike the gimmicks and the more you look the less you see situation of the past.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by jkemzy(m): 4:53pm On Nov 05, 2009
union bank had n75billion bad debt( n31billion was govt related= transcorp) yet sanusi took over union bank. first bank has just reported n75billion bad debt add it to the n28 billion already provided and it comes up to n100billion and they passes sanusi;s exams. talk of selective justice or injustice. the truth will definetly prevail
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by chosen04(f): 4:58pm On Nov 05, 2009
bawomolo:

You guys are paranoid.

not all the loans were given out during sanusi's short tenure.

is he the one responsible for approving loans?

Were all the other sacked CEOs responsible for approving loans?
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Marymos: 5:02pm On Nov 05, 2009
Sanusi has done and is doing a wonderful job.Am surprise some people out of sentiment dont see any good in what Sanusi is doing.You can just imagine what would have happen to the banking sector in five years time if he had kept quite.We all would have just waken up one day and discover that the entire banking sector has collapse.Let be objective in addressing issues.The revolution we need in Nigeria to deliver us from the hands of the present evil politician that are ruling us today has to start some where and by somebody.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by hbrednic: 5:03pm On Nov 05, 2009
SGN link=
I think the crux of the matter is that all banks have bad loans. But the ratio of the bad loans to capital base and total loan portfolio is what is unbelievably high in the distressed bank that almost tilted them over the edge and turned the to perpetual borrowers in the EDW and hence the CBN intervention.[/b:

without publish SLS's audit report,how will you know the real facts,to make a sound judgement.

[b]If conditions for granting these loans in FirstBank were found out not to have followed the best practices (which might not), and their position is as bad as any of the mentioned distressed bank, trust me there are insiders who are loyal to some of the shamed guys that would have blown the whistle.[/b]

the only one talking for now is SLS,he is both the enforcer and the judge.he is scheduled to talk again tommorrow,maybe it is time somebody takes the microphone from him.

[b]The good thing we need to take from all that is happening is that bank can at least present to us something closer to their true state henceforth unlike the gimmicks and the more you look the less you see situation of the past.

this is the nice part.full disclosure for all.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by manny4life(m): 5:04pm On Nov 05, 2009
Damn 74billion Naira worth of bad loans (huge liabilities), how much are this banks worth for them to be losing this enormous amount of money? Well I hope they don't end up Lehman Brothers and the rest of them.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by manny4life(m): 5:17pm On Nov 05, 2009
Marymos:

Sanusi has done and is doing a wonderful job.Am surprise some people out of sentiment dont see any good in what Sanusi is doing.You can just imagine what would have happen to the banking sector in five years time if he had kept quite.We all would have just waken up one day and discover that the entire banking sector has collapse.Let be objective in addressing issues.The revolution we need in Nigeria to deliver us from the hands of the present evil politician that are ruling us today has to start some where and by somebody.

I wouldn't know but based upon what I've seen and heard, he seems to be making terrible choices and poor descisions. I believ that all the 25 universal bank on quaterly bases file their interim financial statement with CBN, and obviously compile all data for an annual audited statement. Although not late, but he found out troubled bank after his stress test, but the process which he followed through is not condusive and healthy to the banking environment, I mean the Apex bank should not be engaging in a power tussle with lower banks. Based upon his descisions, I believe he lacks knowledge (regulation and oversight) and most especially management skills and the good thing is that he can always seek advice from his foreign counterparts, at least Ben Bernake is here , lol
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by galatico(m): 5:18pm On Nov 05, 2009
Oh my God!!! First Bank noooooooooooooo, I think the best savings now is to go back the old school way "KOLO" .

Since these banks can't be trusted anymore .
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Nezan(m): 5:19pm On Nov 05, 2009
9ja banking sector . . . waz happening?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5% Per Month On Investment / Business Idea With Half Million? / Paypal And Other Digital Services offered by Hayfloze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.