Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,751 members, 7,806,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes (36454 Views)

7.5% VAT On Phone CALLS, SMS - FIRS Incharge - Pantami / No Nigerian Should’ve More Than 3 Phone Numbers – Pantami / Why You Should Use Only The Left Ear To Answer Phone Calls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by NanagistBlog: 1:27pm On Nov 19, 2016
The CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele is back again in the news (Not like he ever left). The CBN Governor was a keynote speaker at the annual Bankers Committee Dinner and delivered a speech about alternative source of revenue for the government.

In providing an alternative to source of revenue for the government, the CBN Governor suggested that the government imposes a telecoms tax for phone call conversations above 3 minutes. He also suggested that we introduce a tax on properties. Here is CBN Governor Emefiele in his own words;

“There are several ways we can raise additional revenue to finance the increased expenditure that is needed to engender fast and sustainable growth in the economy,” Emefiele said.

“I think we can consider introducing a negligible telecom surcharge to be entirely borne by the initiator of a call. In order to protect the poor and vulnerable amongst us, we could structure it to only take effect after the third minute of talk.

“Some analyses have indicated that the government could earn about N100 billion per annum from this alone. Obviously this surcharge will mainly be borne by middle and upper class people since I do not know many poor people who make calls for more than 3 minutes!”

http://nairametrics.com/emperor-emefiele-calls-for-a-tax-on-gsm-calls-above-3-minutes/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by KINGwax007(m): 1:32pm On Nov 19, 2016
The thing is: u can't just open ur mouth and borrow western solution and expect it to work. Just like NOI advises buhari to increase TAX and VAT, just the way the wests used to do whenever they are hit with cash crunch..

because UK has turned its voice calls into luxury and her citizens have resolved to using WhatsApp call, abandoning the hpnewly highly taxed voice calls, doesn't mean we shld do the same.

Why not start by reducing the coat of governance and see?

But, if you wish to do that, I get IMO, WhatsApp, Google duo and line... E no go matter, I am always online...and my Mtn na baba when it comes to network reception..

300 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Greatzeus(m): 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2016
Gatto be kidding me shocked how much will that generate for the government that will stop recession.
Well,me I dont make calls for 3mins ,team 30sec grin

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by menxer: 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2016
I guess it would be better FG implement totalitarian martial law so that every aspect of our lives can be controlled, so I can't decide how long I can talk on my phone with my airtime?

Una don finish muzzling people in the financial sector now na telecommunications, Issorite.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Blue3k(m): 1:39pm On Nov 19, 2016
Why not cut spending and reduce taxes. These guys want to bleed to citezens dry. It doesn't make sense. Can anyone tell me a service the federal government provides that you're very satisfied with?

109 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by uboma(m): 1:42pm On Nov 19, 2016
Another display of incompetence by the CBN governor, Emiefiele.

171 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by saintmark88(m): 2:10pm On Nov 19, 2016
Look at d source bfre u comment nah, u guys easily believe
what u wish to be true

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:10pm On Nov 19, 2016
uboma:
Another display of incompetence by the CBN governor, Emiefiele.
He is not practical at all

9 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 19, 2016
I doubt this story

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Sibrah: 2:15pm On Nov 19, 2016
I doubt this story

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Progressive01(m): 2:34pm On Nov 19, 2016
KINGwax007:
The thing is: u can't just open ur mouth and borrow western solution and expect it to work. Just like NOI advises buhari to increase TAX and VAT, just the way the wests used to do whenever they are hit with cash crunch..

because UK has turned its voice calls into luxury and her citizens have resolved to using WhatsApp call, abandoning the hpnewly highly taxed voice calls, doesn't mean we shld do the same.

Why not start by reducing the cost of governance and see?

But, if you wish to do that, I get IMO, WhatsApp, Google duo and line... E no go matter, I am always online...and my Mtn na baba when it comes to network reception..
I think something very fundamental is wrong with the brains of our "leaders".

They know where to get the monies they need to finance whatever projects they want to but just keep bouncing around circles.

Taking this step means I would be forced to cut down on my call time/rate, which means every recharge I purchase would last longer than normal, which means I would be buying less recharge cards, which means the retailers would be making lesser money, which means the telcos would be printing fewer recharge cards, which means lesser profits for them, which means lesser income for government in terms of tax on telcos profits, which could mean job losses for employees in telcos!

Does Emefiele think through his butthole??

Just so unfortunate.

107 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by wowmenow: 2:37pm On Nov 19, 2016
I know the afonjas will resist this one because they can talk

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Seun(m): 2:45pm On Nov 19, 2016
How can the chief economist of a country think that raising taxes on long phone calls, which will depress spending, telco revenue, and ultimately telco jobs, will help an economy in recession? sad

158 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by AntiWailer: 2:48pm On Nov 19, 2016
Not a bad idea.

If we pay jst 1 % tax on 100,000,000,000 Naira 100billion naira spent per annum on calls.

That is 1,000,000,000

1 Billion Naira Revenue.

And we will not even feel it as callers.

Cos what we are saying is for every 100naira call u make, pay 1 naira as tax at that rate or 5kobo on 50naira calls.

So check objectively before u hit reply button.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by dhardline(m): 2:48pm On Nov 19, 2016
Will reducing allowances of senators and house of rep members not reduce expenditures for the FG?

Will cutting down security votes not reduce expenditures ?

Will buying made in Nigeria cars for senators not reduce expenditures?

Will stopping sitting governors, senators, house of reps members, ministers from collecting

pensions not reduce expenditures?

No they won't see this one's, they only see the ones that will stiffle the poor masses and take the

little they have to fund their extravagant life styles and yet this same masses will sing praises to

them.

It's High time we the youths wake up and take back our country. Our leaders have failed us.

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by steppin: 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2016
APC government and taxes are like bread and butter.

17 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by SycophanticGoat: 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2016
Just execute us all...

10 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by lonelydora: 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2016
Why will the innocent citizens bear the cost of bad leadership in this country?

If I say my mind now, they will ban me. God dey shaaa.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by tuoyoojo(m): 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2016
the government wants to generate income

let them just come to abuja

go to all those empty mansions built with money only God knows the source

and tax them. they would make double dat amount in 6 months

but no, its still the poor average Nigerian they want to sink all their fangs n proboscis into and suck him totally till he dies

this country is more Dan due for a revolution.

what did they do With all the trillions saved from TSA, the several ghost workers exposed, etc

22 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Rich4god(m): 2:51pm On Nov 19, 2016
Hope they won't put tax on data bundle.

Thank God for watsapp and Skype....

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by UnknownT: 2:51pm On Nov 19, 2016
Na to set call time reminder to 2:59, once e reach there, the call go cut automatically, i dial am again cry

126 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by YourNemesis: 2:51pm On Nov 19, 2016
Don't try rubbish if you don;t want to see the mass finally revolt oooo..... !! angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by samx4real(m): 2:51pm On Nov 19, 2016
Why did he not propose an increase of minimum wage?

COW...

7 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by henrydadon(m): 2:51pm On Nov 19, 2016
they should just kill us all

[img]http://i./lALQh2EuWGNDW.gif[/img]

22 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by kaboninc(m): 2:52pm On Nov 19, 2016
Let's not crucify him abeg.

He has made a very useful point.

Our response should not be about if it's welcome (because it is) but how do we ensure judicious use, proper spending of our money? How do we ensure accountability and transparency in government? How do we monitor government spending and ensure that they are indeed well placed, cost effective and socially impacting?
Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by OCTAVO: 2:52pm On Nov 19, 2016
angry
Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by 9jaBloke: 2:53pm On Nov 19, 2016
Confused oaf

3 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 19, 2016
When your inspiration is Kwalę Igbo...

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by kolnel: 2:53pm On Nov 19, 2016
Very useless govt
Always bent on increasing the suffering of the masses
Thank god for Internet calls and messaging

5 Likes

Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2016
This is the Change we voted For
Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by corkpikin(m): 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2016
Dan wo lo bi Iya Okere . ( Test am na him give birth to Squirrel Mother .) angry
Re: Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes by Seun(m): 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2016
NanagistBlog:
“There are several ways we can raise additional revenue to finance the increased expenditure that is needed to engender fast and sustainable growth in the economy,” Emefiele said. “I think we can consider introducing a negligible telecom surcharge to be entirely borne by the initiator of a call.
This is like saying. "There are many ways to get the water that we need to fill the swimming pool. I think we can consider fetching 100 buckets of water from the swimming pool every month for this purpose."

13 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NCC Suspends Data Price Increase / Mtn Introduces 2GB For N1000 Data Plan / Tecno Is Winning The Smartphone War In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.