Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,090 members, 7,807,263 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land (1887 Views)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / The Language Of Talking Drums In Yoruba Land / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land by ogbonnacomfort: 6:06pm On Nov 19, 2016
In most Yoruba towns, prior to the day of the traditional wedding tagged ‘ENGAGEMENT’ the family of the lady will summon the man with one of his friends as witness to interview him and know his intentions about their daughter.

The lady’s family will pick a date for the traditional wedding and communicate to the man to inform his family members, a list will be sent to the man, this is what they expect him to bring along on the day of engagement.

Below is a sample of the content of the list in an average Yoruba cultural set up

1. Bible

2. Box, clothes, shoes and bags

3. Engagement ring

4. Umbrella

5. one bag of rice

6. one bag of salt

7. 42 tubers of yam

8. 25 liters of vegetable oil

9. 25 liters of palm oil

10. 40 pieces of kola nut

11. 40 pieces of bitter kola

12. 4 cartons of can malt

13. 4 crate of soft drinks

14. 2 bottles of wine

15. 2 packs of fruit juice

16. 1 bottle of honey, 1 pack of sugar and cup of adun

17. 1 young goat

18. 1 cow

19. Bride price

20. Some money for the different category of people in the family e.g. males, females, daughter in laws e.t.c
see more here:
http://nowayobloggers.com/blog/people-culture/traditional-wedding-in-yoruba-land

Re: Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land by ring7(m): 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2016
Not an Afonjan but they trad is 100percent unique.
Re: Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land by hemartins(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2016
If you've ever attended a Yoruba traditional wedding, you will pray to marry one.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land by yomexp(m): 6:44am On Nov 21, 2016
Yoruba Traditional wedding is the best. No contest.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 21, 2016
yomexp:
Yoruba Traditional wedding is the best. No contest.

Yes o.
Re: Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land by AkinPhysicist: 2:04am On Nov 24, 2016
cool
Re: Traditional Wedding In Yoruba Land by francis18: 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2016
Do not quote me again. If you do, you would be ignored. I'm done bandying words with an adult who has refused to grow up.

grin grin grin grin

HE COULDNT JUST HELP IT, HE HAD TO COMEBACK AND SCORE SOME CHEAP POINTS.
AND YES, HE LIKED HIS OWN POST YET AGAIN WITH HIS .....POWER MONIKER. I AM HERE COUNTING AND YOU CAN ALSO LIKE YOUR OWN POSTS BY GOING STRAIGHT TO YOUR MONIKER WITHOUT APPEARING ON THE THREAD.HE IS STILL HERE SINCE 12 AM. grin
HE HAS MORE THAN 20 GHOSTS ACCOUNTS HE USED TO LIKE HIS OWN POSTS IN RAP SECTION.THAT IS WHY IN RAP BATTLE,ONLY ACTIVE PARTICIPANTS ARE ALLOWED TO VOTE BECAUSE OF THIS FRAUDULENT BOY.HE EVEN COUNTS HIS LIKES. grin grin grin grin
HE WILL SOON REPORT MY POSTS TO HIS FRIEND THE MOD TO HIDE THEM LIKE HE DID WITH CRACKHAUS. STUPIID KID,

You are only good at writing long speeches that are boring and uncreative...don't mistake it for eloquence or wordsmithery. wink

TALK ABOUT IRONY. grin grin.
IN LESS THAN 1 MIN I WAS HERE AND ONLY ME VIEWING,HE HAS 2 LIKES. grin I KNOW YOU ARE VIEWING WITH YOUR PURPLE MONIKER. grin
HE ADMITTED HE HAS 3 ALTERNATES.HMMMM PLUS THE 12 HE HAS NOT ADMITTED TO.

HERE HE WAS ACCUSED OF POLYMONIKER.
thepunisher is rebel.........i don't know why u guys can't see that. the same rebel is behind raplinx account
https://www.nairaland.com/2717343/darkrebel-vs-007bruce#39794613.
YOU MUST BE SATAN FOR EVERYONE TO KEEP ACCUSING YOU OF THE SAME THING. grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mysterious Fire And Water Caught Issuing Forth From A Fountain In Mecca / Does Something Like A Nigerian Yuppie Culture Exist In Nigeria? / Nigeria Police Force: Duty, Professionalism, Etc. (by Attorney Patryk Utulu@usa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.