Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft (12822 Views)

BEST ARCHITECTS For Commercial Designs And Construction / Sanitary Wares in Lagos: For Architects, Interior Designers and other Projects / Why Nigerian Architects Should Start Appreciating Organic Houses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 7:00am On Nov 20, 2016
I got this draft from my architect asking me to make corrections where needed, as a layman or with me not being too good with structures I'm bringing it here for the professionals to examine, if there's any defect solutions are welcome, thanks

2 Likes

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 7:10am On Nov 20, 2016
Josite
Ba7man
reference
Victorazy
Castosvilla
Archnerd
Thewatcher2020
Ademoladeji
Routsz
Troubleshooter
Raggedyann
Screamng
Nellend
Adimsyl
tushbobo
Xtopher123
Chukazu
Onuokwu
bcardastro
tossen
n3xt
artizanni
General2COAS
phemmy88
Walexzeee
tushbobo
Barselonia
ArcFresky
jammy12
dmxx
Emy4u
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by ba7man(m): 7:19am On Nov 20, 2016
What's the grid size?

Need to confirm if the dining and kitchen are big enough.

by recessing the Window between the Guest bedroom and the room at the extreme a bit more, the Guest bedroom can have a strip window introduced in that area for cross ventilation.

Living room also needs a focal point ( Flat wall to an extent where Tv and such can hang in line with the sitting arrangement.

Tell your Architect to include furniture arrangements.

At least rooms are cross ventilated.

Move the main entrance door to the wall shared with the w/c (Guest toilet I believe). It creates more usable space within and directs traffic better............. place a large decorative window in its place so it's framed by the columns visually.

8 Likes

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 7:27am On Nov 20, 2016
ba7man:
What's the grid size?

Need to confirm if the dining and kitchen are big enough.

by recessing the Window between the Guest bedroom and the room at the extreme a bit more, the Guest bedroom can have a strip window introduced in that area for cross ventilation.

Living room needs bigger Windows and if it can be cross ventilated, the better for it.

Living room also needs a focal point ( Flat wall to an extent where Tv and such can hang in line with the sitting arrangement.

Tell your Architect to include furniture arrangements.

At least rooms are cross ventilated.

For now the plan has not been dimensioned and not grid yet. This is just a first draft to which modifications will be made. So, what do you think?
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by ba7man(m): 7:37am On Nov 20, 2016
Adaowerri111:

For now the plan has not been dimensioned and not grid yet. This is just a first draft to which modifications will be made. So, what do you think?
Made a few notes.

Will be back again to go through the plan.

Major observation for now is...... You'll need a larger kitchen and dinning.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 8:14am On Nov 20, 2016
ba7man:
Made a few notes.

Will be back again to go through the plan.

Major observation for now is...... You'll need a larger kitchen and dinning.

Thanks a lot will be waiting for your observations
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by CASTOSVILLA(m): 10:49am On Nov 20, 2016
The kitchen and the dining looks quite small to me. Apply a window at the other end of the living room for cross ventilation. Double the window at the visitors room (if it's a sliding window) or increase the size and get a three window panel for casement (this will at least increase ventilation). The master's bedroom should be situated at the approach view of the house (this will give him a view of his frontage and also see incoming friends and strangers too[security]). The wc between the visitors room should be for the visitors, so creat a wc/bath for the visitors room separately. More updates later.

1 Like

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 11:10am On Nov 20, 2016
CASTOSVILLA:
The kitchen and the dining looks quite small to me. Apply a window at the other end of the living room for cross ventilation. Double the window at the visitors room (if it's a sliding window) or increase the size and get a three window panel for casement (this will at least increase ventilation). The master's bedroom should be situated at the approach view of the house (this will give him a view of his frontage and also see incoming friends and strangers too[security]). The wc between the visitors room should be for the visitors, so creat a wc/bath for the visitors room separately. More updates later.

Very insightful,thank you very much
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 20, 2016
1. Like someone already mentioned, the entrance door should be moved to the extreme right to make the living space more usable
2. The door to the mini flat is obstructing the living room space, it could be moved to the entrance porch
3. The kitchen and dining are too small.
4. The store is not easily accessible from the kitchen and it should be. If the kitchen is sized sufficiently, I would prefer accessibility through the lobby as well, so that whoever is going into the kitchen from the bedrooms doesn't have to go through the living room. If there are guests, it's not very desirable.
5. It is always preferable to have your kitchen open into a covered back porch instead of immediate steps. There, you can place your gas cylinder, your trash bin, keep your pan of over-bleached palm oil etc.
6. There's a lot of lobby space that is only directing traffic and not dispersing it. This is only useful for galleries where you plan to display art work. You can fit the toilet in the mini flat where the back entrance is, after extending it a bit, and use the other space for a kitchenette.
7. The toilet to the second bedroom only has space for a wc. You should at least be able to fit a shower tray.

Apart from that, I commend you on your project and wish you all the best.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 2:39pm On Nov 20, 2016
Thanks a lot...I appreciate your comments
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 2:41pm On Nov 20, 2016
RaggedyAnn:
1. Like someone already mentioned, the entrance door should be moved to the extreme right to make the living space more usable
2. The door to the mini flat is obstructing the living room space, it could be moved to the entrance porch
3. The kitchen and dining are too small.
4. The store is not easily accessible from the kitchen and it should be. If the kitchen is sized sufficiently, I would prefer accessibility through the lobby as well, so that whoever is going into the kitchen from the bedrooms doesn't have to go through the living room. If there are guests, it's not very desirable.
5. It is always preferable to have your kitchen open into a covered back porch instead of immediate steps. There, you can place your gas cylinder, your trash bin, keep your pan of over-bleached palm oil etc.
6. There's a lot of lobby space that is only directing traffic and not dispersing it. This is only useful for galleries where you plan to display art work. You can fit the toilet in the mini flat where the back entrance is, after extending it a bit, and use the other space for a kitchenette.
7. The toilet to the second bedroom only has space for a wc. You should at least be able to fit a shower tray.

Apart from that, I commend you on your project and wish you all the best.

Thank you very much
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by troubleshooter: 4:02pm On Nov 20, 2016
My dear, where do I start from.?

Let me dwell on the majors:

1. Too many lobbys.
This signifies a poor articulation of design. Designers do this when they are boxed into corners and seek d easiest way out. Unnecessary Lobby are a waste of space and money. All those lobbys combined wld have given u one room or more.

2. The kitchen, dinning and toilet are a joke.
By this provided proportions, they are not habitable. Let Ur designer put furniture and sanitary wares in Ur spaces: u will see d wind blow on his fowl ass.

3.the exterior walls could be better aligned.
The arrangement could be better harnessed to look less unwieldy as presented here. This would make construction less cumbersome.

4. Based on this external wall arrangement, I would love to see how he handles d roof. If his thinking is d same, he would make a mess of D roof being u ecessarily cumbersome.

5. I love the fact that his living spaces are cross ventilated. Good.

6. the site plan would have thrown a lot more light on d general planning.

Last line: Ur designer could use up less space and save u less money In Satisfying d brief

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 4:55pm On Nov 20, 2016
troubleshooter:
My dear, where do I start from.?

Let me dwell on the majors:

1. Too many lobbys.
This signifies a poor articulation of design. Designers do this when they are boxed into corners and seek d easiest way out. Unnecessary Lobby are a waste of space and money. All those lobbys combined wld have given u one room or more.

2. The kitchen, dinning and toilet are a joke.
By this provided proportions, they are not habitable. Let Ur designer put furniture and sanitary wares in Ur spaces: u will see d wind blow on his fowl ass.

3.the exterior walls could be better aligned.
The arrangement could be better harnessed to look less unwieldy as presented here. This would make construction less cumbersome.

4. Based on this external wall arrangement, I would love to see how he handles d roof. If his thinking is d same, he would make a mess of D roof being u ecessarily cumbersome.

5. I love the fact that his living spaces are cross ventilated. Good.

6. the site plan would have thrown a lot more light on d general planning.

Last line: Ur designer could use up less space and save u less money In Satisfying d brief

Noted and thanks a lot
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by cupid0(f): 8:06pm On Nov 20, 2016
Too many lobbies leading to space wastage and cost accumulation, doors should be located at the extreme, dunno the scale of plan but by what am seeing, the dinning, kitchen and toilet is small
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Chukazu: 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2016
Ada, why not convert one of the lobbies to a visitor's rest room? from what I see, one only has access to the "WC"through the rooms which not ideal
otherwise everything is nice

when is the ground breaking though? cool
more grace!
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 9:55pm On Nov 20, 2016
Chukazu:
Ada, why not convert one of the lobbies to a visitor's rest room? from what I see, one only has access to the "WC"through the rooms which not ideal
otherwise everything is nice

when is the ground breaking though? cool
more grace!

I am taking the lobbies into consideration, i'm thinking its too much plus the size of the kitchen and dinning, i'm still entertaining more opinion as this needs to start off first week of December, thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by ademoladeji(m): 12:49am On Nov 21, 2016
Irrespective of the sizes of the compartments, I think both the living room and dinning room are having insufficient ventilation. Cross ventilation is required..
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Ask4Info: 3:55am On Nov 21, 2016
RaggedyAnn:

Are you an architect?
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 7:18am On Nov 21, 2016
Ask4Info:

Are you an architect?

no I am not
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by ArcFresky(m): 11:37pm On Nov 21, 2016
Sorry, I am getting this late. Anyways... firstly, did you follow the survey plan?
2. No grids,
3. There is waste of space.
4. Poor ventilation in the rooms...
5. No ante-room?
A lot of corrections are needed.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by ArcFresky(m): 11:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
Adaowerri111:
I got this draft from my architect asking me to make corrections where needed, as a layman or with me not being too good with structures I'm bringing it here for the professionals to examine, if there's any defect solutions are welcome, thanks

Tell your architect, this drawing needs drastic improvement.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 6:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
his correction to the previous

Josite
Ba7man
reference
Victorazy
Castosvilla
Archnerd
Thewatcher2020
Ademoladeji
Routsz
Troubleshooter
Raggedyann
Screamng
Nellend
Adimsyl
tushbobo
Xtopher123
Chukazu
Onuokwu
bcardastro
tossen
n3xt
artizanni
General2COAS
phemmy88
Walexzeee
tushbobo
Barselonia
ArcFresky
jammy12
dmxx
Emy4u

1 Like

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 9:37pm On Nov 23, 2016
Josite
Ba7man
reference
Victorazy
Castosvilla
Archnerd
Thewatcher2020
Ademoladeji
Routsz
Troubleshooter
Raggedyann
Screamng
Nellend
Adimsyl
tushbobo
Xtopher123
Chukazu
Onuokwu
bcardastro
tossen
n3xt
artizanni
General2COAS
phemmy88
Walexzeee
tushbobo
Barselonia
ArcFresky
jammy12
dmxx
Emy4u
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by jamadi84: 6:53am On Nov 25, 2016
I don't understand whats going on here
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by emeijeh(m): 6:55am On Nov 25, 2016
jamadi84:
I don't understand whats going on here
Must you comment?
Waka pass na

1 Like

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Mznaett: 6:57am On Nov 25, 2016
For efficient use of funds to achieve these goals,your architect needs to be more creative in his drawing...

Too many lobbies...
Kitchen and dinning too small...
No space at all for adequate ventillation...

Your architect needs more time to work on his drawing

2 Likes

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Dsrooftiles: 6:59am On Nov 25, 2016
Ok

For Current price of Stone coated and Alum.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Nobody: 7:00am On Nov 25, 2016

1 Like

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by abouzaid: 7:05am On Nov 25, 2016
what's the essence of the lounge that opens only to the living room?, to access the kitchen, you must be seen in the living room, small kitchen and dining rooms, one of the bedroom is only accessible from the Backdoor and i wonder if it's supposed to be the maids room or what?
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by viczeey(m): 7:06am On Nov 25, 2016
The lobby that lead to master bedroom is to long you have to consider lightening in your design,and also the dinning and the kitchen are too small
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by kingPhidel(m): 7:10am On Nov 25, 2016
Aint seeing the visitors w/c ....
Olden days concept
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by abouzaid: 7:20am On Nov 25, 2016
Adaowerri111:
his correction to the previous

Josite
Ba7man
reference
Victorazy
Castosvilla
Archnerd
Thewatcher2020
Ademoladeji
Routsz
Troubleshooter
Raggedyann
Screamng
Nellend
Adimsyl
tushbobo
Xtopher123
Chukazu
Onuokwu
bcardastro
tossen
n3xt
artizanni
General2COAS
phemmy88
Walexzeee
tushbobo
Barselonia
ArcFresky
jammy12
dmxx
Emy4u
this plan is very good but with that shape, i begin to wonder what's the shape and size of the land.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Berry Court Omole Phase 2 C Of O Dry Land Mainland Opportunity Check It Out / Queen's Garden, Isheri North Mainland Opportunity with Governors consent / Cement Increase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.