Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,642 members, 7,801,870 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? (1287 Views)

Could Someone Recommend French Hiphop/ Rap Songs / Latest Hiphop/rap By Da2ruth / Bonnyteezy Hiphop Rap Journey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by SocialItch: 10:09am On Nov 20, 2016
I've been wondering about the genres/sub-genres of hip-hop in Nigeria? I know we have:

Underground rap - Modenine
Alternative - BlackMagic
Gangsta - Godwon, Sinzu
Pop rap - Ice prince, Dprince(?)
Rap rock - SoulSnatchas
Grime - Skepta

What category is Olamide and Phyno? Plus do we really have others. Please reply with examples too.

Gracias
Re: What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by haryomikun(m): 10:41am On Nov 20, 2016
SocialItch:
I've been wondering about the genres/sub-genres of hip-hop in Nigeria? I know we have:

Alternative - BlackMagic
Gangsta - Godwon, Sinzu
Rap rock - SoulSnatchas
Grime - Skepta

What category is Olamide and Phyno? Plus do we really have others. Please reply with examples too.

Gracias
I don't know much about rap nor do I follow rap but I can talk a bit on rap and hip hop in Nigeria.

Number one thing to note is there is hardly any form of hip hop in Nigeria. Most na rap. Hip hop involves talking about your life's journey.

Number two thing to note is the beats used In Nigerian 'hip hop' songs aren't hip hop beats abeg. Person wey dey hear hip hop well go know hip hop beats. They are characterized with low BPM but High tempo....

That said,,,, I think Olamide does street(gangsta) rap. I can't say much for phyno sha as I don't understand His lyrics...

Ola dips is a true hip hop rapper when it comes to lyrics. What he talks about is his life. Ola dips be like 2pac in a way. Examples are Body body, bounce, king of the west

Dremo is a street rapper. I can't say gangsta rapper because he doesn't use misogynistic lyrics when rapping. Ojere, his rapping part in 'shayo'

Falz is a lawyer rapper grin But seriously the guy get flows gan oh. Examples are his rapping in shayo, and most of the tracks in that EP wey he do with Simi

Seriki omo owo is a pop rapper. He raps over fast beats with dope ryhmes. Still my most favorite rapper. Examples are somebody ft Olamide, his part in customer dada ni, Modi

No vex say I no fit expatiate well on top rap. I be DJ cheesy cheesy and na beats I sabi talk about. I hardly listen to rap

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by DjajiPrime: 2:12pm On Nov 20, 2016
SocialItch:

Alternative - BlackMagic
Gangsta - Godwon, Sinzu
Rap rock - SoulSnatchas
Grime - Skepta

Gracias

Nigerian "rap" is very under-developed as most of these rappers are more interested in creating cross over tracks, than creating a body of work that really tells a compelling story, or has some sort of theme. Most of their bars are juvenile, but Phyno I will say is impressive, as far as his flow goes. I wish I had a good understanding of the Igbo language so as to really dissect his lyrics.

Phyno and Olamide could go in the category of Local/ Street rap I guess.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by crazygod(m): 2:20pm On Nov 20, 2016
Dude u forgot gospel rap

1 Like

Re: What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by SocialItch: 6:12pm On Nov 20, 2016
crazygod:
Dude u forgot gospel rap

Thanks
Re: What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by Baroba(m): 11:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
Phyno. - Igbo trap rap, I.e when he chooses to rap.. Homie literally shut down the cathedral last weekend in 042..

1 Like

Re: What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 22, 2016
crazygod:
Dude u forgot gospel rap
Can you name 3 to 5 Nigerians on this.. Pretty much interested
Re: What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by crazygod(m): 11:11am On Nov 22, 2016
Jregz:

Can you name 3 to 5 Nigerians on this.. Pretty much interested

Proverbs
Gamiee
Rooftop MCs
Raf-el

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Genres Of Hiphop/rap We Have In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 22, 2016
crazygod:

Proverbs
Gamiee
Rooftop MCs
Raf-el

THanks a lot. Really appreciate this

(1) (Reply)

Neat Fairly Used Yamaha DTX Electric Drum Up For Sale / VIDEO: IBN – Wiwi || @ibnofficial / LATEST DOWNLOAD:- Zoro Ft Flavour--echolac_bag Of Blessings.mp3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.