Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson (38467 Views)

Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa / 30 Things You Should Know About Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther / Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 13, 2016
Eastactivist:
Omo... Backstabbing, betrayal, treachery is the hallmark oo

No wonder the Yorubas seems not to understand what treachery means BC is part of their DNA...
They do it unconsciously without knowing grin

In essence, afonja is real grin

But too many art for the history grin

You are really ridiculous. Hope u know a lot of people were fighting wars due to the slave trade. The slave trade destroyed a lot of African kingdoms due to the wickedness & greed of the kings. This was d reason d chiefs started rebelling against the Aladdin in the 1st place.

I see ur from the east. You probably wouldn't understand since u had no formal kingdom, society or record of conquest before the British arrived. Most igbos were sold into slavery by the calabars living at the coast.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by policy12: 11:56am On Dec 13, 2016
When u know ur history you can tell ur story with ur shoulder high.

10 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 11:58am On Dec 13, 2016
4. The Founding of Modakeke

By the Fulani conquest of all the principal towns in Yoruba proper, fugitives from all parts escaped southwards and settled in all Ife towns except at Ile Ife the chief town. They were in great numbers at Moro, Ipetumodu, Odiiabon, Yakioy6, Ifa-lende, Sope, Waro, Ogi as well as in Apomu and Ikire. Just about the time of the Lasinmi war a Mohammedan at Iwo called Mohomi invited the Fulanis of Ilorin to extend their conquest to the towns of these Eastern districts, as the Oyos were then engaged in a civil war. The Ilorin army accordingly came and overran the above mentioned towns. The latter made no attempt at resistance but simply deserted their towns and with all the Oyo refugees escaped to He Ife their chief town and were well received and protected by Akinmoyero (alias Odunle) the then reigning Ooni of Ife. The most important Oyo chief
amongst the refugees was the Asirawo, the king of Irawo. Before long, a feeling of disaffection became evident between the Ife citizens and the exiles. The Ooni spared the Ife refugees, but enslaved all the Oyos making them " hewers of wood and drawers of water " after having murdered the Asirawo their chief. One ot the Asirawo's sons enslaved was the afterwards renowned chieftain of Modakeke, Ojo Akitikori by name. The Oyos built their houses, cleaned their farms and performed all sorts of menial work for them. This was towards the close of Akinmoyero's reign. Gbanlare who succeeded him was more favorably disposed towards the Oyos, and they now received better treatment, but this was not for long. Gbegbaaje succeeded Gbanlare, and the bad feeling and cruelty against Oyos were revived; many of them were even sold into slavery. This king
also was soon murdered.

Winmolaje who succeeded Gbegbaaje utilized the services of these Oyos in repelling the inroads of the Ijesas into his territory. From appreciation of their services, he was kindly disposed toward them; but the hatred and malice of the Ife citizens generally was so strong that not even the well-disposed could curb the virulence of the opposite party.

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2016
The Founding of Modakeke contd.

A pretext was soon found again for murdering the well disposed Ooni. Adegunle succeeded to the throne: he was partly of Yoruba descent on the mother's side and hence was the benefactor of the Oyos all his days. Before he accepted the crown of Ife he made the chiefs take an oath that they would not find a pretext for murdering him as they did his predecessors, but would allow him to die a natural death; they readily agreed to this request. Soon after his accession knowing full well the disposition of his people, he took the precaution at once of accumulating ammunition of war, in order to make himself strong against any attack from the populace. He was not of a warlike disposition but was rather given to agricultural pursuits; hence his nickname " Ab'ewe ila gbagada gbagada " (one whose okra leaves are very broad) from his garden plantations.

The Oyos were by this time growing to be an important section in the community, having for their chief one Wingbolu a smelter of iron. The Ife nature and spirit of the times soon became evident. Notwithstanding the oath, a pretext was soon found for a civil war against their king, but he was too strong for them; he defeated and suppressed all the refractory chiefs among them. After the civil fight the Ooni called Wingbolu and asked him why he and the Oyos were neutral at the time of the insurrection. He replied boldly " Had I been invited by your opponents, does
your majesty think yoa would have proved victorious ? Or if you had invited us, would not 3''our victory have been more complete? "
Thinking over these significant remarks the Owoni who had some strains of Oyo blood in him was resolved not on exterminating these Oyos as some others would have done but rather on emancipating them. He appointed them a settlement outside the walls of the city deputing one Adewgro to accompany Wingbolu to the site and mark out the settlement. On the Oyo chief himself he conferred the title of Ogunsuwa signifying One whom Ogun (the god of war) has blessed with a fortune. That has become the title of all the chief rulers of Modakeke to this day. By a royal proclamation all Oyos were to leave the city of Ile Ife for the new settlement, and accordingly the settlement grew rapidly from new arrivals every day. The new settlement was named Modakeke, a term said to have been derived from the cry of a nest of storks on a large tree near the site.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by icedfire(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2016
Following this thread... please how do I get the original book... naijalander
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 12:06pm On Dec 13, 2016
Because the Yoruba people are AFONJAS.

Abi r u not reading the history with open eyes? Can't u see the many flagrant instances of treachery by fellow Yoruba people on their comrades after being coerced by their former slaves turned masters?

Is it any surprise that Tinubu after repackaging Buhari is receiving the same treachery from his fellow Yoruba comrades coerced by the same people that came begging caps in hands? Or even that Tinubu revolted against Southern interests for his purely selfish agenda of becoming the sole power in the region, only to be hackneyed by the same monster he created?

It is the same thing that happened between Akintola and Awolowo.

Yorubas are AFONJAS. They're back-stabbers, treacherous, and treasonous. Of course, it is immodest to generalize, but the trait is undeniably strong especially amongst the elites, and even more so amongst the hoi polloi.

How I wish the Obas in Benin during this period were not so vile, wicked, and lacking sufficient ambition. Bini would have successfully routed many Yoruba towns, especially Eko and Ikoyi, because the Yorubas would not have been able to put up a united front, seeing as they alternated between fighting themselves and becoming fodder to the rampaging Fulani cavalry.

These were interesting times indeed, and it is indeed entertaining to ponder on the number of death proportional to the population that occurred weekly during the raids, battles, massacres, and carnage. Many innocents falling due to the ego or stupidity of their lords.

Makes you value the fact you weren't born in those times, but now that we have Geneva conventions, and war crime parlance pervading the polity of the modern world.

-Lord

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is the very STUPI.D and UNINTELLIGENT moderator who banned my account (https://www.nairaland.com/lordadam) because of the reply above the line on a history thread.

Let the BAST.ARD come here and maintain an intelligent discussion let NLs settle the scores.

I dare you FOO.L.

I'm talking about a trait that was well elucidated by Samuel Jackson and even revealed in modern times and the cry baby who cannot stomach criticism dare to ban my account for 5 months. What temerity?

Outside of NL can you police opinions because they are not favorable to you. In fact, who are you?

I was about to reply naijalander's civil reply with an explanation, and I discovered what the ethnic coward had done.

Yorubas are educated, brilliant, and proud people, but they are also treacherous. Every tribe has that one bad trait. The Igbos may be intelligent, formidable, and astute businessmen, but they are cunny. The Fulanis may be efficient organizers and very patient, but they are utterly vindictive.

If I cannot critique an historical piece about one of the big 3 tribes in Nigeria on the largest NIGERIAN forum, where can I do so without boundaries?

What has NairaLand turned into?

Seun, Lalasticlala, I need answers. How dare you guys hand over the baton of policing intellectual topics to a bunch of unintelligent, quack neophytes with irresponsible ethnic bias.

I'm livid is an understatement. This is not the politics section, it is the culture section for crying out loud!

I need my main account to be unbanned, I could care less what happened in 18th century Yorubaland, I use that account to conduct trades on this platform.

-Lord

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 12:11pm On Dec 13, 2016
janellemonae:

You are really ridiculous. Hope u know a lot of people were fighting wars due to the slave trade. The slave trade destroyed a lot of African kingdoms due to the wickedness & greed of the kings. This was d reason d chiefs started rebelling against the Aladdin in the 1st place.

I see ur from the east. You probably wouldn't understand since u had no formal kingdom, society or record of conquest before the British arrived. Most igbos were sold into slavery by the calabars living at the coast.

Don't twist history.

From the account written above, the rebellion against the Alafin was clearly institutional. Had nothing to do with a noble aim to stop slave trade.

Rebellions happen all the time in those days, so no biggie. Princes dethrone kings.

But what the account tells is a chilling tale of how the Yoruba country in its might fell from grass to grace with the complicity of powerful Yorubas.

I think there is a fine line between personal ambition and national preservation. And many influential Yoruba people who had the power to change history were on the side of the invaders.

The Yorubas are a great people, but that recurring incidence of treachery doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth at all.

-Lord

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:11pm On Dec 13, 2016
Modakeke was first built in a circular form as a single vast compound of about 2 miles in circumference ; the enclosed area was left covered with trees and high grass, each individual clearing out a small space in front of his dwelling. This was done for the sake of mutual protection as no one need to go out of the compound for sticks or thatch for roofing purposes. Modakeke was in 1884 a town of between 50,000 and 60,000 inhabitants. By dwelling in a separate settlement it was not meant that they should hold themselves independent of the Ifes. They were still
loyal to the Ooni. A sedition was again raised for the purpose of murdering the Ooni for emancipating the Oyos, but he receiving help from the
new settlement crushed the rising completely, and all the ringleaders were put to death among whom was the son of a rich lady called Olugboka.

As Ab'ewe-ila could not be murdered by force of arms, the Ifes finally succeeded in poisoning him and the first intimation the settlers had of the death of their benefactor was from the street song of the Ifes " They are deprived of their King, woe betide the Oyos." The late king was denied a royal funeral, and was buried like any common man and all his slaves were seized b}- the Ifes, but the Oyos amongst them went over in a body to the new settlement. Modakeke was soon besieged by the Ifes, but they were repulsed with a heavy loss in dead, wounded, and captives. The Modakekes captured aboat 12,070 of them, but they had not the heart to enslave their former masters and benefactors and hence all were released. Thirty days after this defeat, one Ogunmakin an Ife chief receiving re-enforcement from Oke Igbo, Modakeke was again attacked. The Ifes were again badly beaten and they were pursued right home, and the city of Ife taken by an assault. The victors now ventured to sell their Ife captives as slaves, but reserved of their women-folks for wives. The Ifes escaped to Isoya, Oke Igbo, and other Ife towns where they remained for many years till about the year 1854 when the Ibadans were engaged in the Ijebu Ere war. Chief Ogunmola of Ibadan sent messengers from the camp to negotiate terms ot peace and bring the Ifes home, as it would never do to let the cradle of the race remain perpetually in desolation and the ancestral gods not worshiped. Kubusi was the then reigning Ooni who could no longer remain in exile, but promised that if allowed to return home the past would be obliterated ; no restitution of anything will be demanded of the Modakekes, not even of their wives who might have been appropriated. But no sooner did they return home than all the Ife women deserted their present husbands with all the children born to them and returned to Ile Ife. Notwithstanding their present relations the Modakekes still acknowledged the supremacy of the Ifes and by mutual arrangement they had their representatives in the Ife assembly. Thus they lived together harmoniously till the year 1878 when the whole of the Yoruba country was again embroiled in war, and the latent animosity broke out afresh in an open fight, and the Ifes were again worsted as we shall notice hereafter.

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:12pm On Dec 13, 2016
Here:

https://archive.org/download/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john.pdf

icedfire:
Following this thread... please how do I get the original book... naijalander
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:16pm On Dec 13, 2016
Stopping slave trade did have a lot to do with it. Afonja did populate Ilorin by inviting Oyo muslims (remember Oyo muslims were disenfranchised at the capital). Afonja; although he may have never admitted it, based his rebellion on political freedom taking advantage of the prosecution and enslavement of muslims by Oyo pagans. He himself a pagan came to regret it when the same muslims decided they could not be ruled by a pagan.

LordAdam7:

Don't twist history.

From the account written above, the rebellion against the Alafin was clearly institutional. Had nothing to do with a noble aim to stop slave trade.

Rebellions happen all the time in those days, so no biggie. Princes dethrone kings.

But what the account tells is a chilling tale of how the Yoruba country in its might fell from grass to grace with the complicity of powerful Yorubas.

I think there is a fine line between personal ambition and national preservation. And many influential Yoruba people who had the power to change history were on the side of the invaders.

The Yorubas are a great people, but that recurring incidence of treachery doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth at all.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by icedfire(m): 12:18pm On Dec 13, 2016
naijalander:
Here:

https://archive.org/download/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john.pdf

Thanks, the yoruba obviously have a thriving republic and kingdoms way back before the sharing of Africa by the Europeans. Do the yoruba's have/had any interactions with the benins or the igboes in the south east of the Niger?
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Jaymaestro(m): 12:18pm On Dec 13, 2016
LordAdam7:

Don't twist history.

-Lord
better stated than the previous. Wouldn't have been banned if you commented as thus. Lol
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 12:18pm On Dec 13, 2016
naijalander:
First of all, Benin could not have routed any Yoruba towns, Yoruba settlements were the most militarized settlements in Africa during the 19th century. Secondly, the history is no more treacherous than any other feudal history in Nigeria. The root causes of the war was the rise of Islam in mainstream politics, republicanism, slavery, etc.

I'd hate to stop your flow, you're doing a nice service by telling Nigerian history.

And by the way, if you know where I can get the book online please tell me and I'll place an order.

But to answer your retort, Bini at some point routed Yoruba towns, even going as far as Eko (Eko is a bini word). If you dig hard enough you'll find a short list of Yoruba towns that were vassals to the Oba at various times of Yoruba history.

However, the issue was that the Obas were very vile and wicked. It is why there was mass emigration from the Bini empire by present day Urhobo, Isoko, and several other peoples in the SS regions. And why the Obas couldn't consolidate on victories to expand deep into Yoruba land.

I will also agree that feudal history in pre-independence Nigeria and in fact the rest of the world was marked by blatant and often shameful bouts of treachery. But the treachery I refer to here is not prince to king treachery, but the treachery against your own people for selfish reasons. The difference should be made. I wonder how long the Yoruba people will turn a blind eye to that (not that I care anyway).

I don't fully agree on the root causes you mentioned, but then that's another discussion altogether.

Keep the posts coming.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:21pm On Dec 13, 2016
Treachery is a strong word oga.

The root cause of the war was not selfish ambition but an unconscious quest for political freedom. Afonja wanted to be King but he was only royalty via his mother ( at the time only the men related to the paternal line of Oranmiyan were eligible) seeing this, in comparison with his contributions to the military, a rebellion was imminent. He was also not the only noble to declare independence, Opele also did.

LordAdam7:
Because the Yoruba people are AFONJAS.

Abi r u not reading the history with open eyes? Can't u see the many flagrant instances of treachery by fellow Yoruba people on their comrades after being coerced by their former slaves turned masters?

Is it any surprise that Tinubu after repackaging Buhari is receiving the same treachery from his fellow Yoruba comrades coerced by the same people that came begging caps in hands? Or even that Tinubu revolted against Southern interests for his purely selfish agenda of becoming the sole power in the region, only to be hackneyed by the same monster he created?

It is the same thing that happened between Akintola and Awolowo.

Yorubas are AFONJAS. They're back-stabbers, treacherous, and treasonous. Of course, it is immodest to generalize, but the trait is undeniably strong especially amongst the elites, and even more so amongst the hoi polloi.

How I wish the Obas in Benin during this period were not so vile, wicked, and lacking sufficient ambition. Bini would have successfully routed many Yoruba towns, especially Eko and Ikoyi, because the Yorubas would not have been able to put up a united front, seeing as they alternated between fighting themselves and becoming fodder to the rampaging Fulani cavalry.

These were interesting times indeed, and it is indeed entertaining to ponder on the number of death proportional to the population that occurred weekly during the raids, battles, massacres, and carnage. Many innocents falling due to the ego or stupidity of their lords.

Makes you value the fact you weren't born in those times, but now that we have Geneva conventions, and war crime parlance pervading the polity of the modern world.

-Lord

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is the very STUPI.D and UNINTELLIGENT moderator who banned my account because of the reply above the line on a history thread.

Let the BAST.ARD come here and maintain an intelligent discussion let NLs settle the scores.

I dare you FOO.L.

I'm talking about a trait that was well elucidated by Samuel Jackson and even revealed in modern times and the cry baby who cannot stomach criticism dare to ban my account for 5 months. What temerity?

Outside of NL can you police opinions because they are not favorable to you. In fact, who are you?

I was about to reply naijalander's civil reply with an explanation, and I discovered what the ethnic coward had done.

Yorubas are educated, brilliant, and proud people, but they are also treacherous. Every tribe has that one bad trait. The Igbos may be intelligent, formidable, and astute businessmen, but they are cunny. The Fulanis may be efficient organizers and very patient, but they are utterly vindictive.

If I cannot critique an historical piece about one of the big 3 tribes in Nigeria on the largest NIGERIAN forum, where can I do so without boundaries?

What has NairaLand turned into?

Seun, Lalasticlala, I need answers. How dare you guys hand over the baton of policing intellectual topics to a bunch of unintelligent, quack neophytes with irresponsible ethnic bias.

I'm livid is an understatement. This is not the politics section, it is the culture section for crying out loud!

I need my main account to be unbanned, I could care less what happened in 18th century Yorubaland, I use that account to conduct trades on this platform.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by 4peace(m): 12:22pm On Dec 13, 2016
icedfire:

Thanks, the yoruba obviously have a thriving republic and kingdoms way back before the sharing of Africa by the Europeans. Do the yoruba's have/had any interactions with the benins or the igboes in the south east of the Niger?

Nobody cares about them.
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:23pm On Dec 13, 2016
with Bini yes, at some point, Bini was a part of the complex feudal network of tributaries.

No records (yet) of interactions with the Igbos of the South East.

icedfire:

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:24pm On Dec 13, 2016
The book:

https://ia600302.us.archive.org/34/items/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john.pdf

LordAdam7:

I'd hate to stop your flow, you're doing a nice service by telling Nigerian history.

And by the way, if you know where I can get the book online please tell me and I'll place an order.

But to answer your retort, Bini at some point routed Yoruba towns, even going as far as Eko (Eko is a bini word). If you dig hard enough you'll find a short list of Yoruba towns that were vassals to the Oba at various times of Yoruba history.

However, the issue was that the Obas were very vile and wicked. It is why there was mass emigration from the Bini empire by present day Urhobo, Isoko, and several other peoples in the SS regions. And why the Obas couldn't consolidate on victories to expand deep into Yoruba land.

I will also agree that feudal history in pre-independence Nigeria and in fact the rest of the world was marked by blatant and often shameful bouts of treachery. But the treachery I refer to here is not prince to king treachery, but the treachery against your own people for selfish reasons. The difference should be made. I wonder how long the Yoruba people will turn a blind eye to that (not that I care anyway).

I don't fully agree on the root causes you mentioned, but then that's another discussion altogether.

Keep the posts coming.

-Lord
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by icedfire(m): 12:26pm On Dec 13, 2016
4peace:

Nobody cares about them.

I do... no hate please... I love the Igbos as much as I love my brothers.. I only wish the Igbos have a well defined history instead of that jargon they pass to their children that they are Israelites

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by dEastActivist: 12:30pm On Dec 13, 2016
janellemonae:

Go and check your history very well the greatest kingdom and the longest life spanned kingdom to be recorded in Nigeria is in the eastern part of Nigeria. NRI kingdom comes to mind
Igbos with their brothers have fought wars like the ekumeku war... a little Google research would have helped your life..
Slave trade was a Nigeria problem irrespective of ethnic group... except Yorubas where sold to their Fulani masters up north...
Yeye dey smell
Why Is treachery, backstabbing and betrayal synonymous with Yorubas through out history and present? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:31pm On Dec 13, 2016
THE REVOLUTION IN THE EPO DISTRICTS

I. The Destruction of the Epos

Notwithstanding the Fulani devastations, there were not wanting still among the Yorubas powerful generals, who could successfully oppose them if only they would act together. One such was Ojo Amepo the Kakanfo. Ojo Amepo was one of the generals of the late Kakanfo Afonja of Ilorin; he inherited the lion-like spirit of his chief. After the fall of Afonja he resided at Akese, where he found employment for his enterprising spirit in waging intestine wars with the Epos, and became a great man and a terror in that district. Thus Ojo Amepo usurped the prerogatives of the Alafin in that district. He took Iware, Okiti, Ajerun, Koto, Ajabe, towns near Ijaye, and he assumed the title of Kakanfo in opposition to Edun of Gbogun whom, however, he survived (as Edun himself formerly did in opposition to Toyeje of Ogbomoso) showing the state of anarchy in the kingdom as there can be but one Kakanfo at a time. Amepo was a good horseman and an intrepid warrior.

Ago was one of the towns in the Epo district. Oja the founder perished at the Kanla war as we have already noticed, and the only man of power then in that town was Prince Atiba formerly of Gudugbu, and he was in friendly alliance with the Ilgrins and abetted them, when they were resolved upon subjugating the Epos. Chiefs Amepo, Salako, and Ojomgbodu were opposed to the Ilorins, and the latter soon found a pretext to wage war upon them and to destroy their towns. The Ilorins encamped at Ago Oja against Ojomgbodu which was about 6 or 7 miles distant. The Kakanfo at Akesfe sent Dado his commander-in-chief at the head of a detachment to reinforce the beleaguered town ; associated with Dado were Adekambi, Soso, Dese and Lagbayi, all distinguished men. A portion of the Ilorin army was encamped against Wonworo at the same time, and the Kakanfo also sent Ayo another distinguished war chief to protect the place. Both these places were obstinately defended and, but for the tragedy which befell the Kakanfo at home, they might have held out longer even if they could not repel the enemy eventually.

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 12:32pm On Dec 13, 2016
Jaymaestro:
better stated than the previous. Wouldn't have been banned if you commented as thus. Lol

I do not always have to be politically correct to get a point across.

I'm sure you agree. And I'm yet to see this anti-AFONJA stance in NL replicated for Igbos as the anti-Igbo or anti-IPOB stance or for the fulanis as the anti-FULANI KILLERS on this forum.

Seun can change the name of the forum to odualand or whatever he likes and whoever wants to will still come to the forum or leave. Or at best have the decency to say the forum protects Yoruba interests only.

Not to give power to a buffoon who has zero intelligence to police an intellectual section.

None of those words in my first reply indicated seethed anger for the Yoruba people, it was a vivid commentary of Samuel Johnson's account of Yoruba history. Of course, we all can have our opinions, and the Yorubas can read another meaning to the account.

But it doesn't mean I can't air my thoughts because one butt-hurt kid doesn't like my tone.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by 4peace(m): 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2016
icedfire:

I do... no hate please... I love the Igbos as much as I love my brothers.. I only wish the Igbos have a well defined history instead of that jargon they pass to their children that they are Israelites

That mean you want to derail this beautiful thread.You're see/read what Lord of Edo is already doing.So please Let Enjoy our history.

patiently waiting for Kiriji War and Ekiti parapo

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2016
naijalander:
Treachery is a strong word oga.

The root cause of the war was not selfish ambition but an unconscious quest for political freedom. Afonja wanted to be King but he was only royalty via his mother ( at the time only the men related to the paternal line of Oranmiyan were eligible) seeing this, in comparison with his contributions to the military, a rebellion was imminent. He was also not the only noble to declare independence, Dado also did.

Ok. We'll talk after you're done.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:39pm On Dec 13, 2016
Amepo the Kakanfo being anxious about his men when he heard no news from the seat of war, rode out one morning dressed in his red uniform with only about 20 boys as his attendants. He took the path leading to the seat of conflict to listen if perchance he would hear the sound of musketry showing that his people were still holding out and the town not yet taken. He dismounted under a large tree in the fields, and most unfortunately for him was discovered from afar by a company of Ilorin horsemen, who had made excursion into the W6nw6ro farms, and were returning to their camp at Ago-Oja by way of Akese. He found himself in a predicament all too late, his body guards were, alas! too young to defend him, and his corpulence prevented him from springing at once upon his horse and making good his escape. So he was slain there under the tree, and his head and hands were cut off and carried in triumph to the camp before Ojomgbodu. But before doing so, the Ilorin horsemen rode back to Akese and called upon the town to surrender under threats of immediate destruction. The Kakanfo being slain, and the war-chiefs absent at Ojomgbodu, the town Akese surrendered at discretion ; but as soon as the horsemen were gone the inhabitants packed up and deserted the town. The Kakanfo s army at Ojomgbodu of course did not know of the tragedy that had befallen their master at home until they were informed the next morning in the battlefield by the Ilorin horsemen taunting them. To confirm the truth of their statement, Amepo s speckled hand which was cut of! was thrown to them within the town wall for identification." Know ye whose hand that was? We have slain your master! What is the use of further fighting? Woe betide you if you do not surrender at once."

The men were panic stricken and would have fled there and then but for the presence of mind and brave speech of Dado the commander- in-chief. He said to them " The death of our master is no reason why we should give way, let us fight like brave men and not show the white feather." Turning to the besiegers he said" We are here to defend the town not our master whose misfortune is only an incident though a lamentable one. You prepare yourself for a battle to-morrow, for you shall receive such a severe encounter as you have never experienced before ; you will then know how brave men can resent treachery." This speech created order among the troops and the Ojomgbodu people also were re-assured; but it was only a ruse in order to make good their escape, for by daybreak, before the Ojomgbodu people knew that they were deserted. Dado had retreated with his army in good order and escaped to Ika-Odan.

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by dEastActivist: 12:39pm On Dec 13, 2016
icedfire:

Lol... Igbos have the best recorded history on earth...
The Yorubas can't be said to be the same...
That's why ooni and one other king are always at loggerhead on what story of their history is true...
Meanwhile do you know oduduwa fell from the sky and was even partially blind?
Lol!! Do you know that Yoruba was a name given to some group of ethnicity just to lord over them?
Have you tried finding your destiny to ascertain your original identity?
Do you know ileife is not the ancestral home for all Yorubas??
With all these flaws can you still say that your fabricated story you called history is defined and not jargon grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:41pm On Dec 13, 2016
The story of Oduduwa falling from the sky is an allegory of the expansion of his dynasty to create city states. Ile-Ife --> "Place of the expansion" The chicken is a symbol of great potential.

dEastActivist:

Lol... Igbos have the best recorded history on earth...
The Yorubas can be said to be the same...
That's why ooni and one other king are always at loggerhead on what story of their history is true...
Meanwhile do you know oduduwa fell from the sky and was even partially blind?
Lol!! Do you know that Yoruba was a name given to some group of ethnicity just to lord over them?
Have you tried finding your destiny to ascertain your original identity?
Do you know ileife is not the ancestral home for all Yorubas??
With all these flaws can you still say that your fabricated story you called history is defined and not jargon grin

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by quickly: 12:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
LordAdam7:

Keep the posts coming.

-Lord

The fulanis were already experienced in battle during the Rade of Mohammedans in Egypt and across the Sahara desert.

They had more weapons etc all coming from Egypt Libya etc . As you know the Arabs during that time were even richer than Europeans as they were gold and traders using camel.

However reverse came after the invention of ships by the Portuguese and this lead to the demise of the Arab culture.

It also allowed the south to exchange slaves for guns and gunpowder

If you read all the books of Johnson he wrote.about it all.

I think he wrote Maybe 3 books

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 12:49pm On Dec 13, 2016
quickly:

The fulanis were already experienced in battle during the Rade of Mohammedans in Egypt and across the Sahara desert.

They had more weapons etc all coming from Egypt Libya etc . As you know the Arabs during that time were even richer than Europeans as they were gold and traders using camel.

However reverse came after the invention of ships by the Portuguese and this lead to the demise of the Arab culture.

It also allowed the south to exchange slaves for guns and gunpowder

If you read all the books of Johnson he wrote.about it all.

I think he wrote Maybe 3 books

I follow. Thanks for the comment.

Guess I have a fully-packed Christmas holiday ahead of me.

Was planning on what to use my time for since I wasn't traveling for this yrs end-of-yr vac.

cc Seun, Lalasticlala. Where una dey?

-Lord
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 12:50pm On Dec 13, 2016
2. The Occupation of Ijaye and end of Dado

Ika-Odan now became the home of the flower of the army from the Oyo provinces. The leaders here were the only brave generals who would not submit under the yoke of the Ilorins, and who held out still until such time that fortune would veer round to their side. These refugees soon became masters of the town, the wives and daughters of their hosts became theirs, and the hosts themselves practically their menials. Everything at home and in the farms was soon devoured as they lived only by foraging. When nothing remained in the Ika-Odan farms they extended their operations into the Ijaye farms. When the I j ayes could no longer endure it, and their farms were nearly all eaten up they attacked these marauders ; a skirmish ensued and the foragers finding the men of Ijaye too strong for them, sent home for re-inforcements.

Kurumi's advice was for conciliatory measures, considering that these proceedings were rather hard on the people, who really could not help attacking the foragers. But Dado their leader was for opposition. " Cowards " said he, " what can the Ijayes do ? " Saying this, he hastily put on his armour and rushed on to the scene of the conflict. He was allowed to go on alone, none of the other war-chiefs followed him. The foragers seeing their leader coming were inspirited and put forth more efforts, and he led them to victory. They drove the Ijayes home, and pressed so closely on their heels that the latter could not rally to defend the town, but deserted it and fled on, till they escaped to Ika-Igbo. Ijaye now fell into the possession of the assailants who did not fire it, but simply occupied it as was done at Ibadan, each one taking possession of the finest compound he could get.

Dado now sent to invite Kurumi and the rest of the war-chiefs at Ika-Odan, and they came and took possession of Ijaye. Thus that town passed out of the hands of the Egbas, and became an Oyo town to this day. At a special meeting convened to consider their future course it was resolved that they should make Ijaye their home at least for the present until they could see a brighter prospect of dislodging the Fulanis from Ilorin and then return to their own homes. They therefore took possession of the lands and farms along with the houses and proceeded to so.v the farms, lest famine should follow the present abundance. Thus they became proprietors of houses, lands and farms not their own. The fields were extensively cultivated, all the war-chiefs with the sole exception of Dado their leader, paid great attention to agriculture, going to their farms daily.

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 13, 2016
dEastActivist:

Yeye dey smell
Why Is treachery, backstabbing and betrayal synonymous with Yorubas through out history and present? cheesy

Present?? grin hey we are all entitled to our opinions. Just as u believe yorubas are treacherous backstabbers is the same way I believe igbos are treacherous backstabbers. The knife wound igbos have dealt on the backs of various tribes (yorubas, northerners, bendelites, ekwerres, ijaws) in this country are yet to heal. It's d reason they will always find it hard getting votes in a primary, not to talk of a presidential election. True story.

10 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Fash20: 12:51pm On Dec 13, 2016
naijalander pls donot reply those guys trying to mock Yoruba.

If they think they have a better history(I know they do not know where they come from.some are dumb to the extent that they believe they are descendants of Israelites.lol) they should open a thread for it.

13 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by netmillionaires(m): 1:01pm On Dec 13, 2016
Wait O. Didn't the Ibos have history? I have been hearing and reading about the history of the yorubas and the Hausa/Fulanis since I was in primary school. But never for once have I read or seen anything about the history of the Ibos other than the civil war accounts. Someone in the house should put up a good writeup on the history of the Ibos... Thanks

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Visits 8-Month-Old Baby Raped By Her Mum's Friend's Husband / Proudly Yorùbá. Let's Get To Know Your Beautiful Oriki / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.