Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? (36380 Views)

Who Is Really Nigeria's Greatest Footballer? / "Look At Your Mates" - Footballer Kelechi Nwakali All Guccified In New Photo / Nigerian Female Footballer Kneels To Collect Her Entitlements. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by optimusprime2(m): 12:24am On Nov 24, 2016
For me, it's Mercy Akide- She was physical and talented, so her game play had that blend of power and style, similar to Adriano of Brazil(When he was still in top form). Perpetua was equally good, but she just lacked that brutish power that Akide Oozed. I was not surprised when she made Fifa XI pro for women then.
That lady was just good, its a pity she was not opportuned to play in the era of Perpetua Nkwocha, which had a considerably stronger Falcons team.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 12:24am On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
You are doing all you can to discredit Mercy but you forget that the USA 2003 that you so happily referred to also had Perpetual on that team. smiley

Mercy's goals date back to 1995 with the Super Falcons. You think it's easy digging up those stats?

Perpetua's Super Falcons journey began at Sydney 2000 so it's easier digging hers up.

Look, I've always thought and maintained Perpetual had more international goals before I actually decided to go some facts-finding. Mercy was goals beast.

Perpetual is a goals machine but Mercy was a goals beast... Goodness me! I belong to the "indomie" generation... Loolll but I wont be unfair when it comes to records and stats we can access not to mention those we cant for now.....

So saying Mercy scored over 80 goals is no joke... Just that we cant put an exact number on it for now. Some deeper research must be done. smiley

But if you ask me who I prefer as an all-round/well-rounded soccer star, I'll always take Perpetual Nkwocha... She had it all. Goals, Vision, Creativity, dribbles, mazy runs, etc.

Mercy was just power, pace, positional intelligence and instinct. She wasnt particularly a fantastic dribbler.

But again apart from my personal preference putting all parameters of both players' careers together on the overall, I gotta tell ya, Mercy edges Nkwocha slightly... She's not called "marvellous" for nothing naa...

You wont believe I followed Nkwocha's international career from beginning (as an 8 yr old) to end (2000-2014).

I followed Mercy's from USA 1999 to Athens 2004 Olympics. I missed her first 4-5 years in the Super Falcons and it is the records of those years many are ignorant of. smiley

I don't know what you are talking about mehn.

Akide played in an inferior African women championship when other African women teams were still sleeping, yet her goal scoring record in that tournament as a striker was poor when considered with those of Perpetual that was in a more competitive era.
One would expect an incredibly gifted player like you hype Mercy to be, to break goal scoring charts in an era of comparatively weaker female footballers, ala Pelle and the footballers of 1950's and 60's, but that isn't the case with Akide, is it?

Nkwocha was in the 2004 team, but so was Akide, but since you were quick to give the glory of the exploits of women like Okosieme, Nwadike,Emeafu, Egbe, who were all scoring the most important match winning goals in 1999 to Akide, we can as well gift her the failures of the 2004 team, since she was the main striker of the team.

And oh! Nkwocha was in the 2004 Olympics team, and actually did provide an assist on one of the matches of that tournament.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 12:36am On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Be fair man....

What about Olympics goals?? Dont wanna go there huh?

Akide - 4

Nkwocha - 2

Pls be fair... smiley

You forget that Nkwocha is not even a striker, she is an attacking midfielder

Akide doesn't have much international goals more than her.
In total, Akide has 6 international goals for Nigeria, Nkwocha has 3, but she more than makes it up in local scene, where she eclipses and towers over Akide.

I can't even believe I'm having this argument. Never knew a day will come when any reasonable person would ever compare Nkwocha with any past Nigerian female footballer, cos as far as I can see, there is no comparison there, Nkwocha stands out by far.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:40am On Nov 24, 2016
Hmmm.... @final bolded.... There was no olympics in 2003 but 2004. And Nkwocha gave an assist and so what?? Is that even a serious point or something? Are we gonna leave out the other assists in that campaign and just single out perpetual's sole assist? Na wa ooo

You earlier admitted by yourself in reply to Sir Robosky02 that Akide was indeed the "star" of that falcons team in 1999 so why saying it is I who give her all the credit now? Loollll

All the remaining bolded shows a "complete disdain" for Akide on your part (a striker who banged in 8 at 1998 AWCON alone and 7 at 2000 AWCON and obviously scored loads in 1995 AWCON?)..... There's no need taking this discussion further. smiley

You already confessed to not knowing what I'm talking about. So it isn't wise to proceed when one is in ignorance of what we are discussing.

So Ciao... smiley

pazienza:

I don't know what you are talking about mehn.

Akide played in an inferior African women championship when other African women teams were still sleeping, yet her goal scoring record in that tournament as a striker was poor when considered with those of Perpetual that was in a more competitive era.
One would expect an incredibly gifted player like you hype Mercy to be, to break goal scoring charts in an era of comparatively weaker female footballers, ala Pelle and the footballers of 1950's and 60's, but that isn't the case with Akide, is it?

Nkwocha was in the 2003 team, but so was Akide, but since you were quick to give the glory of the exploits of women like Okosieme, Nwadike,Emeafu, Egbe, who were all scoring the most important match winning goals in 1999 to Akide, we can as well gift her the failures of the 2003 team, since she was the main striker of the team.

And oh! Nkwocha was in the 2003 Olympics team, and actually did provide an assist on one of the matches of that tournament.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:41am On Nov 24, 2016
You are just repeating all I have clearly stated earlier in other posts. Kindly scroll up and read before dropping comments. smiley

pazienza:

You forget that Nkwocha is not even a striker, she is an attacking midfielder

Akide doesn't have much international goals more than her.
In total, Akide has 6 international goals for Nigeria, Nkwocha has 3, but she more than makes it up in local scene, where she eclipses and towers over Akide.

I can't even believe I'm having this argument. Never knew a day will come when any reasonable person would ever compare Nkwocha with any past Nigerian female footballer, cos as far as I can see, there is no comparison there, Nkwocha stands out by far.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 12:44am On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Hmmm.... @final bolded.... There was no olympics in 2003 but 2004. And Nkwocha gave an assist and so what?? Is that even a serious point or something? Are we gonna leave out the other assists in that campaign and just single out perpetual's sole assist? Na wa ooo

You earlier admitted by yourself in reply to Sir Robosky02 that Akide was indeed the "star" of that falcons team in 1999 so why saying it is I who give her all the credit now? Loollll

All the remaining bolded shows a complete disdain for Akide on your part..... There's no need taking this discussion further. smiley

You already confessed to not knowing what I'm talking about. So it isn't wise to proceed when one is in ignorance of what we are discussing.

So Ciao... smiley

Lol! Honest mistake, I have edited it. cheesy

Ok. Ciao!
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by kilo4sure: 3:49am On Nov 24, 2016
pazienza:

Wrong. She retired because she couldn't fit in any longer.
Remember she played in the 2003 world cup, where she was dreadful.

Even though she played women AFCON at a time Nigeria was many levels ahead of other African teams, Nkwocha that is not a striker, in addition to playing the AFCON at a more competitive era, when the likes of SA, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Equitorial guinea, Cameroun, had started closing up the gap between them and Nigeria, still has more impressive goal scoring record in the tournament than her.

So you are telling me a player who scored two of our three goals in a tournament like the Olympics wasn't fit for common afcon some months later?
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Okusi(m): 4:57am On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Mercy Akide made global headlines more than any other African Female footballer. She led The Super Falcons to the Quarters of USA 99 (Fifa WWC)- best ever finish by an African women's team - AND also to the Quarters of the Olympics @ Athens 2004 - Best ever finish by an African women's team at the Olympics.

She always banged in goals against the big guns like USA, Norway and even Sweden. She had 2 Women's WC goals (Nigeria's highest goalscorers at the world cup are Rita Nwadike-3 and Nkiru Okosieme-3).

She also scored 4 times at the Olympics (twice in Sydney 2000 against Norway and China PR, and twice at athens 2004 against Sweden in the first round and Germany in the Quarters). She's Nigeria's and Africa's highest goal bangers olympics-wise.

She won the Caf women's best player award once because that was the period of her twilight years and had the award been awarded since 1995, Akide would have raked it at least 4 times. (Perpetual raked it four solid times) smiley

She made waves in the Women's league in America and was the first Nigerian and African to take the American women's soccer league by "heavy storm" doing great things for San Diego Spirits and Hampton road piranhas. She's also a pelican stars/Jegede babes/Ufuoma babes ex-super star.
Her CAF AWCON goals record stand at 18 goals (not counting her goals exploits at AWCON 1995 when she was just 19 coz I dont have the records from '95 off-hand).

Perpetual Ijeoma Nkwocha made more headlines on the African continent than Akide ever did and also did get the global attention but not exactly like Akide. smiley

Perpetual Nkwocha is the record goals Queen of the CAF AWCON with 34 goals in all. SHE SHATTERED AKIDE'S GOALS RECORD TO PIECES AND HAS 80 INTERNATIONAL GOALS IN 99 APPEARANCES FOR THE SUPER FALCONS. She "possibly" outscored Marvellous Mercy in the Green and white of the Super Falcons. (Will dig out mercy's stats for the Super falcons overall later... It's kinda tough to do).

Her career began with the Falcons from Sydney 2000 where she scored against USA in a 3-1 loss at the olympics. Nigeria got 3 goals at sydney 2000 (guessed who scored the other two? Akide smiley ).

AWCON 2002 was Perpetual's First major impact at the AWCON as her four goals alongside Akide's 3 goals inspired Nigeria to a 5th AWCON triumph.

Perpetual holds so many records:

-She has one Women's World Cup goal (scored against Canada in 2011 edition).

- She has one Olympics women football goal (scored against Brazil at Beijing 2008).

- She has 34 AWCON goals.

- She holds the record for the best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (11goals at the 2010 Awcon).

- She holds the record for the second best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (9 goals at the 2004 Awcon). Marvellous Mercy had 8 goals at one single edition (in 1998).

- She holds the record for most number of goals in a single final (4goals vs Cameroun at Awcon 2004).

- She holds a joint record for most goals scored in a single AWCON game with ASISAT OSHOALA (4 goals)

- She won five AWCON titles (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, and 2014). Marvellous mercy won four (1995, 1998, 2000, 2002).

- She won Four CAF best women's player awards. (2004, 2005, 2010, 2011).

-She also won the All Africa games women's Gold in 2007 and topped the scorers' chart.

Summarily... Both are super legends and It's almost like a draw.... smiley

But on the whole combining both Continental and Global paramenters/factors, I think Akide edges Nkwocha "Slightly"... BUT IN OSHOALA, WE HAVE A PLAYER WHO CAN GO ON AND SURPASS BOTH. smiley

Other Nigerian women's soccer legends who deserve mentions are:

-Rita Nwadike

-Nkiru Okosieme

-Stella Mbachu

-Maureen Madu

-Uche Euharia

-Ann Agumanu Chiejine

-Florence Omagbemi

-Patience Avre

-Yinka Kudaisi

-Effioanwan Ekpo

-Marvis Ogun

Etc, etc... Etc...

I'm already in luv with you. you killed it. Dede and Cynthia Uwak deserves mention too. Mercy Akide is way above Nkwocha due to the fact that she carried the team on her shoulder then.

Oshoala will soon make them the second best

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by def111(m): 7:05am On Nov 24, 2016
if you have watch both of them played you will understand Mercy is Greatest Africa football,... during her time. Africa team are no match to any Western world team.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by phoenix90(m): 8:04am On Nov 24, 2016
Daninya11:
Where is the dichotomy between the duo?.

I was privileged to watch Mercy Akide play football in the '99 world Cup to the early 2000.I strongly opine that she was the best striker Nigeria has ever produced in Female Football.

Perpetual Nwokocha was a Midfielder cum goal poacher who could do exploit from midfield. I will say She is the best Midfielder Nigeria Female has ever seen.

Mercy faced stiffer opposition than Perpetual. During the days of Mercy, we were not technically sound as we are today. Mercy took the team on her shoulders. Countries like U. S. A, Sweden, France,Brazil England were way ahead than their African counterparts.

They are both Legends in their own right.

I beg to differ, Nkwocha faced as much challenge as Mercy did. And Mercy never really carried the team on her shoulders as you insinuated, she had a cast of Omagbemi, patience Avre, Nkiru Okosieme, Ann Chiejina, Egbe and so on. In her hey days she wasn't that better than Okosieme. But as a striker she was easily recognised. What about Kikelomo Ajayi? The two as you said were great but their greatest undoing was not getting us a medal in the international tournaments.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Daddi: 8:32am On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Mercy still holds the goals record internationally for the Super Falcons. Perpetual only scored more in the AWCON.

Perpetua has 80 goals in 99 appearances. Mercy's record is sketchy for now as a lotta digging still needs to be done but she scored well over 80 goals for The Super Falcons.

It will interest you to know that Mercy Akide also began as a midfielder with the Super Falcons smiley **check the 1995 WC list**

From 1999 WC and 1998 AWCON, she was then used more as a striker.

Perpetual was an attacking midfielder who also played oftentimes as a striker. (As a midfielder she's not expected to score much right? That's your point.)

While, Mercy was an actual striker.

So I understand where you're coming from but fact is, you'll miss it that way. Mercy broke records with the Falcons when African women soccer was still young and naive.

Perpetual and Nigeria have never ruffled feathers globally the way Akide and her generation did yet Perpetual and the falcons were more exposed and more experienced.

In perpetual's time, the Nigerian & African women soccer scene was now more matured and experienced compared to Akide's time yet Akide took that team on her shoulders and did more.

Akide made Fifa All-star world squad twice in 1999 and 2004.

Perpetua made the nominees list for the 2005 Fifa Women's world best player.

Both are super legends. Both are trail-blazers but internationally, continentally and putting all the paramenters together, I believe Akide still edges Perpetua slightly.

I only hope Oshoala can go on to surpass them both as she's already on the right track and have even made some good marks they never made but she still have a long way to go.

And guess what... You know Oshoala as a striker/forward today right? smiley Well, she started off as a defensive midfielder for Nigeria at U-20 level in 2012 before she shone so bright as a forward in 2014. smiley

you're coming from award and recognition angle, which is always limited to time and circumstances.
1. The only defender to have won balloon d'or is cannavaro, does that make him the best defender of his generation? Considering guys like Maldini, puyol, Terry etc.
What's sketchy about Mercy's records, she started playing for the falcons in 1995 at the age of 19. if you're to talk of sketchy record it has to be perpetua's whose record was only presented from 2000 at the age of 24 upwards. No one made mention of her deeds from 18years till then. Then if Mercy's record is not yet complete as YOU said then we are dealing with incomplete analysis and statistics and there's no case.
3. As per time every country has it's golden generation that no matter how the game develops it'll take time for some generation to match that. eg, eagles of 90's, argentina team of 80's to 90's, france team of late 90's to early 2000's. The falcons Golden generation was from late 90's to early 2000's. Pls tell me the winger in the present team that can match Stella mbachu, or a defender that can raid the wing like kikelomo ajayi, a full back like ekpo or a creative midfielder like Maureen in this present generation? And Mercy benefited from these class including assists from a super midfielder like perpetua, yet she couldn't outscore a midfielder (not criticising a legend, never, just that you want to bring Nigeria political analysis pattern to a sports that open for all to see).

Your overall argument is like saying Mikel is the best Nigeria player or best 10 ever after all he's performed at the highest level or so. Anyway, I'm looking at the best of talent usage and overall performance of ability. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by zicky(m): 9:41am On Nov 24, 2016
omofunaab:

When i mean a female version of okocha, i didn't say the same position.

People looked up to okocha in the team likewise Mercy.

Perpetual is talented but not up to Mercy.

Maybe you didn't watch mercy play.. .she opened the door for other Africans
If you say mercy open the door for female footballers to go foreign, I'll agree just same way Keshi did to the men team bt that in no way make her better than perpetual who's an all round player.

Its just like comparing Oparanozie to Asisat, we all know who's the better player.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:38am On Nov 24, 2016
So Mikel is not in Nigeria's top 10? This alone shows your bias. So a player should be rated without looking at his overall achievements and Impact significance?? We shouldnt look at whose abilities were used in such a way as to bring Nigeria Glory at the highest of levels?? Na wa ooo... And what's limited to time and circumstances?? Akide's super consistent award-winning displays in the green and white?? Na wa oooo... Plss cannavaro only won the Fifa world best player (NOT BALLON D'OR) because Zidane got himself in a misconduct scandal with Mateo Materazzi. Fifa didn't want such a player to hold such prestigious prize at the time. #Fact so your reference to Cannavaro is lame and illogical.

Cannavaro was not the super consistent performer kind. smiley

And pls tell me I pray, when did Perpetua make her debut for the Super Falcons if you know so much about her legend?

Mercy's records dates back to even 1994 with the Super Falcons. I only made reference to the 1995 WWC because that was her first international tournament. She scored loads of goals during the 1995 AWCON also but the goals record are not known only the results of the matches. So if it's not sketchy abeg provide Mercy's full stats.... Abeg pls dig it up since it's so easy to do so. smiley

Perpetual began her Falcons career late just as Drogba began his Ivorien career late. Or you think all players started playing for Nigeria at age 18??

So It was Akide who had super players with her only huh?

So you say it was Perpetual's assists ONLY which Propelled Akide?? Perpetual began with the team in 2000 so what about the first 6 years of Akide's career? Na wa ooo...

What about Cynthia Uwak? What about Vera Okolo? Effioawan Ekpo? Precious Dede? Ifeanyi Chiejine? And many more? They didnt play for a long time with Perpetual abi??

And talking about political analysis bias, I think it's you going by your self-confessed angle of view.

"You are looking at.... " Looking at what?? Best of talent usage...... So Akide didnt utilise her talents to the best of her abilities and for the benefit of the team??

Overall performance and abilities indeed.... Look, even Uche Eucharia and Marvis Ogun (played in USA 99... Her last WWC) were excellent ball players.

IF THE BOLDED IS ALL YOU LOOK AT THEN YOU ARE BIASED INDEED. BESIDES THAT'S WHY THE SOCCER WORLD WON'T TAKE YOUR OPINION SERIOUSLY.

Fifa, Caf, Uefa speak based on the major impacts such overall performance and abilities and best of talent usage make on the game continentally and globally. We are looking at the impacts of such performances, their significance and many more parameters and you think you get to decide WHICH ANGLE you wanna see it from... Looollll

Sir, be fair.... Akide takes it slightly. You have no idea of Akide's stats from 1994 till before USA 1999. The only stats you probably know are her 8 goals in AWCON 1998. Between 1994 and 1998 nko??

A lady that went to the WWC at age 19 in 1995 and was recorded to be scoring an average of 3-4 goals per match in the Local scene. Oga, you have no idea.... smiley

And speaking of Golden generation, I have seen Golden generations flunk... Does that mean they werent actually a generation of super talents? Examples are Holland/Netherlands of the 70s, the Ghanaian black Queens team of the early 2000s (alberta sackey, Adjoa Bayor, menumatu suleimana), etc

So you think terming a generation "golden" is just down to achievements?? It's also down to the quality of the team and their projected potentials.

Our Super Falcons first golden generation was from 1998-2004.

In 2010-2011, we had a Super Falcons team that could challenge the world if we had a really good manager. That team underperformed and didnt live up to their golden potentials. They were a crack team with battle hardened and exposed individual stars and some young talents. Yet we failed

From 2006 to 2011, we saw another Super Falcons golden generation rise but they fumbled on the biggest stages.

Now we are seeing another generation led by Asisat Oshoala, Desire Oparanozie, Ngozi Okobi... Etc... Coaches before the AWCON 2016 began said this squad is too strong for Africa. That's it's WORLD CUP QUALITY. Does that mean if they fail that they didnt have golden qualities?

So plsss... Your premise on Golden generation is flawed and an attempt to rob Mercy of the accolades she deserves. Making the FIFA WORLD ALL-STAR XI TWICE IS NO BEANS SIR... IN 1999 AND 2004. Had the Caf women's best player been started in 1991, Mercy would have collected more than five, no questions asked. She was that awesome even in our "first golden generation".

Had the AWCON been held in *1993 and 1997, Mercy would have scored a whole lot more than the 18 we know about from 1998-2002. This even excludes her goals from the 1995 AWCON.

Give up this argumemt plss... I just felt I should reply because I woke up and saw this mention but had to face my day firstly before settling down to reply.

I keep wondering why you guys are hell-bent on discrediting Mercy. Na wa oooo....

Look at my previous posts plss before you drop any other replies because I will not tolerate repeating myself. Look from page 0 of this thread and go through all I said in this Mercy and Perprtual discussion.

You just jumped in because you just prefer Perpetual. Please read through and know that even you didnt watch Perpetual like I did or love her more.

I believe in saying it as it is.... So deal with it.

I wish not to come back to this... I got other matters abeg.

Ciao...

Daddi:
you're coming from award and recognition angle, which is always limited to time and circumstances.
1. The only defender to have won balloon d'or is cannavaro, does that make him the best defender of his generation? Considering guys like Maldini, puyol, Terry etc.
What's sketchy about Mercy's records, she started playing for the falcons in 1995 at the age of 19. if you're to talk of sketchy record it has to be perpetua's whose record was only presented from 2000 at the age of 24 upwards. No one made mention of her deeds from 18years till then. Then if Mercy's record is not yet complete as YOU said then we are dealing with incomplete analysis and statistics and there's no case.
3. As per time every country has it's golden generation that no matter how the game develops it'll take time for some generation to match that. eg, eagles of 90's, argentina team of 80's to 90's, france team of late 90's to early 2000's. The falcons Golden generation was from late 90's to early 2000's. Pls tell me the winger in the present team that can match Stella mbachu, or a defender that can raid the wing like kikelomo ajayi, a full back like ekpo or a creative midfielder like Maureen in this present generation? And Mercy benefited from these class including assists from a super midfielder like perpetua, yet she couldn't outscore a midfielder (not criticising a legend, never, just that you want to bring Nigeria political analysis pattern to a sports that open for all to see).

Your overall argument is like saying Mikel is the best Nigeria player or best 10 ever after all he's performed at the highest level or so. Anyway, I'm looking at the best of talent usage and overall performance of ability. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:42am On Nov 24, 2016
Sir Zicky, you're right. Perpetual is the better well-rounded player between herself and marvellous mercy.

That's a no-brainer sef... But all in all, putting all local, continental and international/global parameters and stats/records and Impact factors together, I have to say the truth, Akide edges Nkwocha albeit just slightly.

And even in today's generation, There are people who ten years from today will tell you they preferred Oparanozie to Oshoala. But we know Oshoala is the better allround footballer. smiley

zicky:
If you say mercy open the door for female footballers to go foreign, I'll agree just same way Keshi did to the men team bt that in no way make her better than perpetual who's an all round player.

Its just like comparing Oparanozie to Asisat, we all know who's the better player.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 11:29am On Nov 24, 2016
To set the record straight and not underplaying the worth of Perpetual Nkwacha who is outstanding in terms of awards but
MERCY ADIKE IS THE GREATEST NIGERIAN FOOTBALLER
She started the game when she was so young yet too hot and indeed the trail blazer for all others to follow not just in Nigeria but the entire africa.

1. Mercy started playing football at the age of five with her oldest brother Seleipiri and younger brother Ipali in the sandy field of Bundu Waterside, near Port Harcourt Prisons in Port Harcourt. Her speed was recognized from a young age, and when she was 12 years old, at Holy Rosary Secondary School in Port Harcourt, she took part in long-distance races, running the 400m, 800m and 1500m races against older competitors
2. In consideration of her skills in particular, a group of youth soccer organisers put together a girls' tournament to select the girls who would become "the Garden City Queens".

3. At that time, the Nigerian Women's league was in its formative years and Garden City Queens was not among the top teams such as Jegede Babes, Ufuoma Babes and Larry's Angels. The club played mostly exhibition games around the state with Akide as the star attraction. She averaged nearly five goals per game during the two years she spent at the club. One of those friendly games was against elite team Jegede Babes, and although the Queens lost 6-1, Akide scored the only goal for her side.
4. Club proprietor Princess Bola Jegede was so impressed by her that she promptly offered her a place in her club.
5. Akide joined Jegede Babes just as Nigeria were taking part in the inaugural Women's World Cup in China in 1991. With an already established strike force in place, Akide was moved to central midfield for the 1992 season where she took time to adjust. But by the 1993 season, she emerged highest goalscorer in both league and Cup. She plundered 16 goals in the league and another eight in the Challenge Cup. She took the form into the next season, scoring 15 goals in the 1994 league season and 10 in the Challenge Cup to earn herself a call-up to coach Ismaila Mabo's national camp.
6. National team call up:
Her two seasons of consistency with Jegede Babes, where she scored a total of 49 goals in two seasons, caught the attention of national coach Ismaila Mabo and Mercy was called to camp in 1994
7. Career highlights:
3 FIFA Women's World Cup™ appearances
2 Olympic Football Tournament appearances
3 CAF African Women's Championships
The first CAF African Women's Footballer of the Year: 2002

8. In 2015 she was named among
FIFA All-time Best Classic Players
• Cheryl Salisbury (AUS)
• Renate LINGOR (GER)
• Mercy AKIDE (NGA)
• Kristine LILLY (USA)
• Michelle AKERS (USA)
• Hanna LJUNGBERG (SWE)
• Hege RIISE (NOR)
• Carolina MORACE (ITA)
• Sun WEN (CHN)
• Mia HAMM (USA)
• Birgit PRINZ (GER)
• Doris FITSCHEN (GER)
• SISSI (BRA)

The point here is you don’t measure her by the CAF awards cos the award only started from the 2011 which she was even the first to win.
If the awards were to start from the 1990s when she was on fire maybe she would have had it TEN TIMES before PERPETUAL NKWACHA had it 5 now.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by zicky(m): 1:01pm On Nov 24, 2016
@Robosky02 @Supernerd being the youngest does not make you the best if not Opabumi would be Nigeria greatest, from stats available and from watching both players, Perpetual is a super talent and the greatest female footballer.
We don't debate on "had it been" cause it never was, Perpetual was a better goal scorer(her stats speak so) and a far better mid-fielder to Mercy
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 1:22pm On Nov 24, 2016
zicky:
@Robosky02 @Supernerd being the youngest does not make you the best if not Opabumi would be Nigeria greatest, from stats available and from watching both players, Perpetual is a super talent and the greatest female footballer.
We don't debate on "had it been" cause it never was, Perpetual was a better goal scorer(her stats speak so) and a far better mid-fielder to Mercy

who are not talking of been the youngest
check her statistic:

"in two seasons of consistency with Jegede Babes, where she scored a total of 49 goals in two seasons, caught the attention of national coach Ismaila Mabo and Mercy was called to camp in 1994"

in Nigeria were accurate record is not kept maybe she even did more
boy no be beans

2. in the years we are talking about the 1990 to early 2000

she was just the bomb in Africa.. the best. it was only in the 2001 the African footballer award for women started and she won it.

3. ok Nigeria has won the AWCON twice as a championship before CAF changed the format, this year would have made it la decimal
but they just counted 7. so will you now say Nigeria only stated were CAF changed format?

again Victor Ikpeba won African footballer of the year but Okocha did not win it.... so would you now say Ikpeba is better than Okocha who even Pele recognized as among the 100 living legent, abi BBC that named him twice for been so good failed too

forget Mercy Akide is a bomb... she was so good they called her Marvelous

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:27pm On Nov 24, 2016
Zicky... If I supply you with Akide's stats between 1994-1999 you will not say these again... It will just shut you up.
It's difficult getting all those stats so just cool it.... *If I give my time to dig, I will get them*

Akide edges Perpetual on the overall.... That's an indisputable fact. Even Fifa agrees. So just live with it.

zicky:
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 1:55pm On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Zicky... If I supply you with Akide's stats between 1994-1999 you will not say these again... It will just shut you up.
It's difficult getting all those stats so just cool it.... *If I give my time to dig, I will get them*

Akide edges Perpetual on the overall.... That's an indisputable fact. Even Fifa agrees. So just live with it.

leave him

"when a man has not travelled before he will think the world ends were the stream in his village ends"

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by zicky(m): 2:00pm On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

those stats is exactly what am looking for, as long as the "say" stats is not available means it does not exist. from 95' to 99', Nigeria was nothing in world female football (I remember hw we were wallop 7-1 by USA) so I don't know the stats you guy are talking, no doubt she's one of the shining light of Nigeria female football, you can't talk about female football without the Mention of Merciless Mercy bt guy Perpetual is just too good. At one time I imagined a mid-field of perpetual and kanu in the super eagles

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by zicky(m): 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2016
robosky02:

leave him

"when a man has not travelled before he will think the world ends were the stream in his village ends"
sorry Sir, I just told you who my greatest was, and I hold unto stats available and the period I watched both played for the National team, I know very well she's like a fifa brand of female football in Africa, I remember she was called some yrs back to present an award at a fifa gala night . So Mister, I know what am talking bout, Perpetual is my greatest
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:27pm On Nov 24, 2016
I'm done with this. Believe whatever you want. smiley

zicky:
those stats is exactly what am looking for, as long as the "say" stats is not available means it does not exist. from 95' to 99', Nigeria was nothing in world female football (I remember hw we were wallop 7-1 by USA) so I don't know the stats you guy are talking, no doubt she's one of the shining light of Nigeria female football, you can't talk about female football without the Mention of Merciless Mercy bt guy Perpetual is just too good. At one time I imagined a mid-field of perpetual and kanu in the super eagles
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 11:25pm On Nov 25, 2016
robosky02:

who are not talking of been the youngest
check her statistic:

"in two seasons of consistency with Jegede Babes, where she scored a total of 49 goals in two seasons, caught the attention of national coach Ismaila Mabo and Mercy was called to camp in 1994"

in Nigeria were accurate record is not kept maybe she even did more
boy no be beans

2. in the years we are talking about the 1990 to early 2000

she was just the bomb in Africa.. the best. it was only in the 2001 the African footballer award for women started and she won it.

3. ok Nigeria has won the AWCON twice as a championship before CAF changed the format, this year would have made it la decimal
but they just counted 7. so will you now say Nigeria only stated were CAF changed format?

again Victor Ikpeba won African footballer of the year but Okocha did not win it.... so would you now say Ikpeba is better than Okocha who even Pele recognized as among the 100 living legent, abi BBC that named him twice for been so good failed too

forget Mercy Akide is a bomb... she was so good they called her Marvelous

1. No comment on that. We all have our beginnings.

2. She was a striker. No better way to judge a striker that his/ her goal returns.
She could have won the African women footballer of the year many times if it was conducted earlier, but she could have won it with less impressive goal record than Perpetual when she won hers.
Akide is a striker, she played in less competitive African women championship, and her goal returns are still inferior to those of Nkwocha who played in a more competitive AWCON.

Akide didn't set any off the chart records in inferior and weak African Women championship and earlier editions of AFCON when she was at the peak of her prowess. But you want us to believe an amateur less experienced and developed Akide did set off the chart records in FIFA and CAF unrecognized competitions in the early days of her career?
Someone had also reminded you here that we also don't have access to Nkwocha earlier stats.

3. How many times did Ikpeaba win the African footballer of the year award? Is Ikpeaba the leading all time highest goal scorer in AFCON like Nkwocha in AWCON? Apples and oranges, my friend.

4. Mercy tried, but she is still many levels behind Nkwocha. Nkwocha remains indisputable queen of Nigerian and indeed African Women football for the time being.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by def111(m): 2:06pm On Nov 26, 2016
make I get my like for Mercy fan.... Na only Biafra people they support Nkwocha... Mercy is the Greatest Africa player..take it or leave it
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 3:18pm On Nov 26, 2016
def111:
make I get my like for Mercy fan.... Na only Biafra people they support Nkwocha... Mercy is the Greatest Africa player..take it or leave it

grin
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by happen2: 5:59pm On Nov 26, 2016
Vera okolo, what a player! She was the that won that Cameron final in 2004 where perpetual score four goals She was super fast.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by somtookeke(m): 6:05am On Jan 08, 2020
11 facts about Nigeria's Oshoala, Africa's best female footballer who dropped school for football

https://speakersden2..com/2020/01/11-facts-about-nigeria-oshoala-africa.html

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 8:59pm On Mar 18, 2020
Assist oshoala is now in the mix
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by gibzzhd: 7:53am On Mar 19, 2020
robosky02:
Assist oshoala is now in the mix
yeah and the rating remains
Mercy > Oshola > pepertual
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by zicky(m): 9:28am On Mar 19, 2020
gibzzhd:

For me it's Perpetual - Oshoala - Mercy
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 10:01am On Mar 19, 2020
gibzzhd:

Taa you can put oshoala ahead of perpetual

Before oshoala won 4 African balondor

Pepertual has done it in style
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by gibzzhd: 2:10pm On Mar 19, 2020
robosky02:

Taa you can put oshoala ahead of perpetual

Before oshoala won 4 African balondor

Pepertual has done it in style

Oshola is just playing for Barca ladies a team that can't be rated Top 5 in Europe.Mercy played in the best female league in the world(USWL) and played with and against the best female Footballers in the world and was counted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match / Cristiano Ronaldo Nets Four Goals For Portugal Against Lithuania In EURO 2020 / AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.