Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,826 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. (30938 Views)

I Wish To Marry Her But Her Parents Want To Spoil The Plan / My Girlfriend Told Me She Is Not In Good Health And Wouldn't Want Me To Suffer / She Wants Me To Buy Her 66k Phone, But Doesn't Want Me To Touch Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Toniaeloho(f): 11:12am On Nov 21, 2016
A man in his late twenties approached me to marry him. I was not attracted to him neither was he a very friendly person. I told my mom about it and she advised me to think about it carefully.

After much thought, I decided to refuse because he seemed in hurry to marry me even when he barely knew me.

My parents got so angry with me. They said I should say agree because he is God fearing, has a good job( he owns a school) and they like him. I still refused , the man told me to marry him because he likes me and my parents like him. I tried reasoning with him but he told me that in those days girls marry men their parents approve.

My parents have threatened to not support my schooling if I refuse. I have tried to love this guy but I just can't. My parents esp my mom like him too much. I am not allowed to say a bad word against him. I am in my final year at school and 19 year old.

What should I do?

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 21, 2016
All this busybody parents self. Sister u said 19 years u are... Sorry but ya mama is wicked. Kai

this thread still dey vax ooo.. sister how far did you marry the man?

113 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Lastking147(m): 11:16am On Nov 21, 2016
Oga ooo so dem still dey do this nonsense...
oga masonic cuman see o

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Naijaboiy1: 11:18am On Nov 21, 2016
19 years?

What sort of parents do you have? undecided

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by ceejayluv(m): 11:18am On Nov 21, 2016
that one strong oooo

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 21, 2016
Don't love out of pity.
Marry who your heart loves.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Masonic(m): 11:25am On Nov 21, 2016
Lastking147:
Oga ooo so dem still dey do this nonsense...
oga ma.sonic cuman see o

grin her parents must have a reason for this.

OP, are you fat? Ugly? Deformed? Single mom?
Are your parents broke? There has to be a rationale behind this. There's a reason your folks are insisting on you getting married so soon and to someone you don't like. You might wanna find out.

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by alatbaba1(m): 11:25am On Nov 21, 2016
Try get a work in sch, I knw it's nt easy but try n fund urself thru sch. Fvckk ur parents for imposing a man on u @ dis age

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 21, 2016
lipsrsealed
So, This is the 21st century. People Marry for love... Not because your Parents say he's good for you. what do they even know? last I checked, maturity isn't a yardstick for wisdom. We've got dumb, Old people too.

Sweety, If you don't love this-this Grandpa, don't marry HIM! you'd only be miserable for life. I mean, You're Still young. Really young... This is the stage Where you should fall deeply in love, Have fun, Explore the world.

Your parents threats are just barks. I guess? they can't kill you. if they're Your real parents, Then, They won't do you anything. except, well, except they're really evil, Shallow and don't care about your own feelings..DON'T MARRY HIM! Pleeeeease! Sheeesh!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Rone16(f): 11:27am On Nov 21, 2016
Agh 19..That's too early oh or are you the only child

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 21, 2016
Some stories are just fallacy

10 Likes

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by kinggogo: 11:36am On Nov 21, 2016
I dnt understand undecided

R ur parents after d guy's moni or whah Y r dey hell bent on ruining ur lyf at such a young age undecided

Or is there smthin u ain't adding shocked

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Toniaeloho(f): 11:39am On Nov 21, 2016
Masonic:

Are you parents broke? There has to be a rationale behind this. There's a reason your folks are insisting on you getting married so soon and to someone you don't like. You might wanna find out.
I asked them for their reasons but they said they want what is best for me. My mom likes him because he is from her tribe and stays close to our house I am the first daughter and they want to want to get married early because they think it will bring honour to the family

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Lastking147(m): 11:40am On Nov 21, 2016
Masonic:

Are you parents broke? There has to be a rationale behind this. There's a reason your folks are insisting on you getting married so soon and to someone you don't like. You might wanna find out.
True
I know u'll have something good to contribute grin

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 21, 2016
19 years old!! Am trying so hard no to insult ur parents here angry

Stand ur ground! Don't marry someone u don't want to .. u will most probably regret it for the rest of ur Life!

19..marriage??! nawa oo

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by nobodii: 11:47am On Nov 21, 2016
shocked Dafuq..... Since your mum likes him that much why dont she marry him and leave you in peace undecided undecided where as its your life not there's case close!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

18 Likes

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Masonic(m): 11:51am On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:

I asked them for their reasons but they said they want what is best for me. My mom likes him because he is from her tribe and stays close to our house I am the first daughter and they want to want to get married early because they think it will bring honour to the family

TBH, I think there's something you're not letting out. What kind of honour would an early marriage bring? Are your folks still living in the stone age?

Look mami, its your life.. Your future.. Its in your hands. Your folks won't endure a painful marriage with you. I think you should do what makes you u happy. You shouldn't be scared about their threat, you are already in your finals and truth be told, our parents love to make empty threats. They'll eventually come around.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Masonic(m): 11:53am On Nov 21, 2016
Lastking147:

True
I know u'll have something good to contribute grin

gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by tee59(f): 12:00pm On Nov 21, 2016
I know ur parents are igbo who lik money dan anytn.. Money is d only language dis igbo women understand, dat is why dey encourage their toddlers to get married to rich dudes wtout considering their happiness and joy. Igbo people and money, only God can separate dem. I kno d guy must be rich.

15 Likes

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 21, 2016
this sounds like a story straight out of a Korean drama.

when things like this happen, they blatantly refuse their parents and after a final show down, they threaten to do something stupid which causes their parents to cave in.

and the movie ends with their true love...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by TheRealestGuy(m): 12:55pm On Nov 21, 2016
tee59:
I know ur parents are igbo who lik money dan anytn.. Money is d only language dis igbo women understand, dat is why dey encourage their toddlers to get married to rich dudes wtout considering their happiness and joy. Igbo people and money, only God can separate dem. I kno d guy must be rich.
Wow.

You're so good that you can know people's tribe from their post.

undecided

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Splinz(m): 4:25pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hmm. There's no issue as tiring to me as that which involved parents and children. This is because after God, my loyalty lies with my parents.

Op, yours is a very serious matter. Unfortunately, your parents have bluntly refused to respect your wish and choice for reasons best known to them.

However, as complicated as the issue may be, I'd not advice you to disobey them, neither will I tell you to please them at your expense.

Here's my take. Do all you can to make them (especially your mum) see reasons with you, that the proposed union will only bring you unhappiness. Appeal to their emotion. If after all entreaties they still remain adamant, use your own initiative in making your final decision.

Good luck!

7 Likes

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by henrydadon(m): 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
you are 19 and in your final year doesn't mean you have to get married now

what century are your parent still in?..tell them this is 2016 and things have change..they should cant choose for you who to spend the rest of your life with..that is just wrong on every level

but wait oo..this is your first post on nairaland and it making front page..chai!..there is God

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Lexusgs430: 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
I dey come
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by akankemi1(f): 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
abscond
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by dreezybines: 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
How Old are you You can't be 19

Now to my advice...Seek the face of God...Don't let your parent Make you regret later in the future...You own your life...They won't be in that marriage with you...

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by celestialAgent(m): 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
D
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by KingOvoramwen1(m): 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2016
Vvvv
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by TINALETC3(f): 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2016
Al dis Mummy and daddy's gal shaaa, bae na one chance u enta so
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by ednut1(m): 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2016
The Nigerian parent can be be most annoying creatures in earth, they are always right. How can u be pushing a 19yr old gal into marriage nawa

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by VisitorsCanteen(m): 4:41pm On Nov 21, 2016
In this 21century? lipsrsealed
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Lexusgs430: 4:42pm On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:
A man in his late twenties approached me to marry him. I was not attracted to him neither was he a very friendly person. I told my mom about it and she advised me to think about it carefully.

After much thought, I decided to refuse because he seemed in hurry to marry me even when he barely knew me.

My parents got so angry with me. They said I should say agree because he is God fearing, has a good job( he owns a school) and they like him. I still refused , the man told me to marry him because he likes me and my parents like him. I tried reasoning with him but he told me that in those days girls marry men their parents approve.

My parents have threatened to not support my schooling if I refuse. I have tried to love this guy but I just can't. My parents esp my mom like him too much. I am not allowed to say a bad word against him. I am in my final year at school and 19 year old.

What should I do?

Did your Mum marry your Dad due to pressure from her parents?
Give her all the scenarios why her choice, cannot be yours.
If she refuses, don't worry abscond, I would marry you......

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

From Facebook To My Bedroom (the Sweet Coincidence) / Help! My Girlfriend Is Going Haywire / Lady Who Trolled On Short Men But Married One, Replies Her Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.