Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Which Country Is The Rudest/ Friendliest To Tourists? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Which Country Is The Rudest/ Friendliest To Tourists? (755 Views)

Which Country Can I Relocate To With 6million / Relocating To An African Country: Is It Worth It? / Which European Country Is Best To Go For Hustling? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Which Country Is The Rudest/ Friendliest To Tourists? by ItuExchange(m): 9:26pm On Nov 21, 2016
Rudest: I have travelled the world and I must say that Paris, France by far takes the crown in this arena. Been there three times and the experience is always the same.

Friendliest Country: Ireland

Answer: Easiest Question Ever: France, Paris specifically.

Before our trip, I made it a point to learn a few words of french, so that I could at least dignify Parisians with an effort to learn their language. I even carried around one of those little french dictionaries in stereotypical tourist fashion.

I went with an open mind but boy was I disappointed, in the people at least. I’ll give you a perfect example:

I am looking for a hotel. We are walking down the rainy streets. I step under into a store, an empty store with a bored employee.

Walking up to her, I say “Bon jour”. (it is rude not to)

She gives me a blank look.

Smiling I say “Je cherche un Four Seasons”

She stares at me pretending not to understand what I’m saying.

I try phrasing it differently and asking a different way.

Hmm, I’m pretty sure I’m saying this right.

I try again.

She keeps nodding her head in what is now obvious fake confusion.

Ok, now this girl is just being a bee, eye, tee, see, aye-ch.

But I take it.

Finally she jumps into perfect English and tells me the directions.

Exasperated, I thank her and walk out the door. But leave my good mood behind me.

She knew I was American. Between my baggy North Face jacket, beat up sneakers and too-friendly attitude, that much was glaringly obvious. Nobody looked more English-speaking than moi. Why torture me? I am doing my best.

This happened more than once, I’m sure others have had better experiences. It was a good trip overall, just had to deal with a few more bad eggs than I would have liked. It has happened when traveling here in the US too.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Which-country-is-the-rudest-friendliest-to-tourists

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Which Country Is The Rudest/ Friendliest To Tourists? by doubletroublmum(f): 8:50am On Nov 22, 2016
Hi you're right, French people Su...s.
Try Netherlands. They are very friendly there.

As I live in Germany, there are two kinds of people living here:

1. The unfriendly ones, that will just stare at you, pretending not to understand... Better avoid them

2. The nice ones that even help you at any range and at least try to speak English

(1) (Reply)

Camels Cause Accident On A Major Road In Jigawa State(photos) / Photo: Nigerian Phd Student In Malaysia Slumps And Dies / Man Who Returned From Abroad Doesn't Want Shoes To Touch The Ground

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.