Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,304 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Any Same AS Couples In The House? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Any Same AS Couples In The House? (2349 Views)

Couples Timeout 2018: Love Rejuvenates As Couples Camp Out In Ife-wara / More News On The Youngest Couples In Town / What Good Options For AS - AS Couples? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 5:51am On Nov 22, 2016
Same AS couples in here, please share your experience. Thanks.
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Dyt(f): 7:32am On Nov 22, 2016
All I can do is SMH
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Funjosh(m): 10:16am On Nov 22, 2016
Co- SMH lipsrsealed
Dyt:
All I can do is SMH
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Mimzyy(f): 10:34am On Nov 22, 2016
Dyt:
All I can do is SMH

Strong woman. Fighter smiley kiss
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Mimzyy(f): 10:38am On Nov 22, 2016
bigmodo:

Are you looking towards getting married to one? If yes, please think about it well. It's gonna be TOUGH.

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Moisef(f): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2016
Research well on it, If u're abt to get married to one. Also does ur partner know abt ur genotype?... I read somewhere last week abt a couple (both AS) they had healthy kids (I mean no SS) Pls talk to a medical practitioner on ur stand so u can know what u're abt to face.
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Dyt(f): 1:48pm On Nov 22, 2016
Mimzyy:

Strong woman. Fighter smiley kiss

smiley
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 22, 2016
bigmodo:

Have you visited sickle cell centre in idiaraba?

They could help throw more light. Following

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by thorpido(m): 3:15pm On Nov 22, 2016
Moisef:
Research well on it, If u're abt to get married to one. Also does ur partner know abt ur genotype?... I read somewhere last week abt a couple (both AS) they had healthy kids (I mean no SS) Pls talk to a medical practitioner on ur stand so u can know what u're abt to face.
@bolded,it's possible but rare.it also depends on how many kids they have.

@Op,if you're not married yet,it's not advisable.
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2016
Better don't marry or your kids would place a curse on you if they turn out SS. It's no joke.

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by dayleke: 5:25pm On Nov 22, 2016
Please think it through o....
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Bisjosh(f): 8:38am On Nov 23, 2016
I really dont know why in this age some people would still take the risk to bring SS children to this world

Dont tell me its love pls..cos its selfishness
that love would be thrown outta the window when the SS child keeps having crisis. ..then u would have wished you could turn back the hands of time

I had an SS brother and still breaks my heart when i think of him cos i miss him everyday cry

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by LewsTherin: 8:46am On Nov 23, 2016
Oh did he mean genotype? I was wondering what he meant by same as couple undecided

Dude, why do you want to bring kids into this world to suffer? Aren't things messed up enough?
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by sisisioge: 9:13am On Nov 23, 2016
Whew! I heard there is a test they could do while the wifey is preggers to know the baby's genotype. Whew, plenty abortions!

OP, surely there are several unmarried AA chicks . Take your time, you would find. In fact , AA is more common than AS.Take a poll...Na we full ground. Why take the risk?

2 Likes

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 23, 2016
thorpido:
@bolded,it's possible but rare.it also depends on how many kids they have.

@Op,if you're not married yet,it's not advisable.

Hi...the chances of a both-AS couple having a child with SS is 25%....or one quarter, if I remember my genetics well ....and this probability/chance is for each pregnancy
Then, giving birth to a child who is AA ...25% too
Child with AS....50%
Because each chance is for each pregnancy, if a couple has four kids...it does not mean one would be AA, one SS and the remaining two would be AS (could be the case oo, though)...they could have all four as AA, all four being AS, all four being SS....or 3 SS, one AA, 3SS, one AS, and so on
It does not depend on the number of children....
In summary......there could be that extremely lucky couple who may have their desired number of kids without any having SCD....but the reverse could be the case too...., all SS....remember 25 percent SS is 1 in 4, for each pregnancy....

But well to do couples who both carry the sickling gene can have tests post-conception to know the genotype of their foetus....and can decide to terminate every pregnancy with SS foetuses and carry to term and be delivered of the healthy ones- AS, AA
This costs money though, and then there is the issue of the "sinfulness" of this to consider

So we have a trifecta of issues associated with AS vs AS marriages viz
- the 25 percent chance of having SS for each pregnancy. Having one SS child does not guarantee that the next wont be an SS....remember sicle cell crises people, heartbreaking to see.....the respiratory problems, the anaemia, the bone pain, the death, the strain and stress on family, and more cry
- the high cost and possible unavailability of the relevant tests
- the ethical/ morality considerations - abortion, guilt, blame, etc

It costs less than a thousand naira to get a genotyping....at least it did before June this year...
Most times, it is ignorance that makes people not go for genotyping....or more rarely to ignore the results
The second and arguably more dire reason is religion....some religious people praying it away lipsrsealed

Modified- pre-conception should read pre-natal or post-conception or pre-delivery....I should learn to edit before posting...smh
I am actually not quite sure what conception is again shocked.....rusty O & G...well, during pregnancy should work lipsrsealed cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by thorpido(m): 5:16pm On Nov 23, 2016
merahki:

Hi...the chances of a both-AS couple have a child with SS is 25%....or one quarter, if I remember my genetics well ....and this probability/chance is for each pregnancy
Child with AS....50%
Because each chance is for each pregnancy, if a couple has four kids...it does not mean one would be AA, one SS and the remaining two would be AS....they could have all four as AA, all four being AS, all four being SS....or 3 SS, one AA, 3SS, one AS, and so on

In summary......there could be that extremely lucky couple who may have their desired number of kids without any having SCD....but the reverse could be the case too....25 percent SS.. In in 4, for each pregnancy....

But well to do couples who both carry the sickling gene can have tests pre-conception to know the genotype of their foetus....and can decide to terminate every pregnancy with SS foetuses and carry to term and be delivered of the healthy ones- AS, AA
This costs money though, and then there is the issue of the "sinfulness" of this to consider

- the 25 percent chance of having SS for each pregnancy. Having one SS child does not guarantee that the next wont be an SS....remember sicle cell crises people, heartbreaking to see.....the respiratory problems, the anaemia, the bone pain, the death, the strain and stress on family, and more cry
- the high cost and possible unavailability of pre-conception tests

It costs less than a thousand naira to get a genotyping....at least it did before June this year...
Most times, it is ignorance that makes people not go for genotyping....or more rarely to ignore the results
The second and arguably more dire reason is religion....some religious people praying it away lipsrsealed

We said the same thing dear,it's just the interpretation of the statement,'it depends on how many children they have'.
What I mean is that the more children they have,the higher the chances that they could have an SS child.
If they had just 2 kids,both might escape the sickle cell but if they have 5 children,it's unlikely that one will not be SS carrier.

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by 5minsmadness: 5:32pm On Nov 23, 2016
sisisioge:
Whew! I heard there is a test they could do while the wifey is preggers to know the baby's genotype. Whew, plenty abortions!

OP, surely there are several unmarried AA chicks . Take your time, you would find. In fact , AA is more common than AS.Take a poll...Na we full ground. Why take the risk?

grin
Cough Advert coughcough grin

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by 5minsmadness: 5:35pm On Nov 23, 2016
merahki:

Hi...the chances of a both-AS couple have a child with SS is 25%....or one quarter, if I remember my genetics well ....and this probability/chance is for each pregnancy
Child with AS....50%
Because each chance is for each pregnancy, if a couple has four kids...it does not mean one would be AA, one SS and the remaining two would be AS....they could have all four as AA, all four being AS, all four being SS....or 3 SS, one AA, 3SS, one AS, and so on

In summary......there could be that extremely lucky couple who may have their desired number of kids without any having SCD....but the reverse could be the case too....25 percent SS.. In in 4, for each pregnancy....

But well to do couples who both carry the sickling gene can have tests pre-conception to know the genotype of their foetus....and can decide to terminate every pregnancy with SS foetuses and carry to term and be delivered of the healthy ones- AS, AA

- the high cost and possible unavailability of pre-conception tests

Very intelligent post.very surprised no one liked it. Goes to show that likes mean nothing on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by sisisioge: 5:37pm On Nov 23, 2016
5minsmadness:

grin
Cough Advert coughcough grin

You are just an unrefined monkey grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 23, 2016
bigmodo:

Been there before left there. There's no path that leads to happiness unless you love playing with probability. Nothing but headache
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by 5minsmadness: 5:42pm On Nov 23, 2016
sisisioge:

You are just an unrefined monkey grin grin grin grin

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 23, 2016
5minsmadness:

Very intelligent post.very surprised no one liked it. Goes to show that likes mean nothing on nairaland.

cheesy
Thanks....but to be honest, not a big deal that I know it, cos I am a medico...I am rusty and actually had to pause to remember that conception does not mean delivery shocked lipsrsealed

About likes?
I have four 'like' issues on NL-
1...when I get a like notification, I hope it is for my "deep" posts and not for SMH-able posts, my heart sinks when it is for one of the latter
2...on many occasions I would be the sole liker of a post...that one that may not be too funny or profound? but anytime I sense the poster made a real effort, or really believes what they post, or they quote someone and are ignored, etc, I like it.....it may not be funny to me oo..at times I would just discover what I call a "lonely" post and click...hoping it would make someone happy (covers face)
3...I never like a post with 12 likes...making it up to 13....I have an irrational aversion to that number...this comes from having read many oyibo books since childhood telling me the number is for bad luck, wearing clothes inside out and four leaved clovers etc are considered good luck
4...I have liked my own post once, on my former account. The reason was because it had 13 likes and I did not want that number...my skin kept crawling until I pressed the like button!
(Oh this is bad....but true cheesy tongue)

5 Likes

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 23, 2016
@ post...
I have lied about this before (covers face)

I was "fortunate" (as I was made to be aware of) to have caught the fancy of a kinda "powerful" man....older than I am which is a mini miracle on its own cheesy
I went out with him on a few dates...and realised how mismatched we were/are
I told him, with tears about to drop lipsrsealed that I had just found out I was AS and was bummed as I was falling for him, but would want many kids..... he of course is AS

This is not true at all but I said it anyway....I was a teeny tiny bit paranoid he might send some goons to slap me around a little if I broke up with him jes like that
I think (in retrospect) that I am more emotionally irresponsible than he is likely to do this, but you never know, do you?

I say, there is love out there, in abundance....
If I was AS and fell in love with an AS man, it would be a relatively easy decision for me cos I can pass up on motherhood....or we could adopt, ...or just opt for an "it is just you and me" childless marriage....

For the truly AS people, I send love waves your way....may you get to meet many people who you can be with....you can also consider what I would do
But my medical advice is one, find other people to marry....then/but if you must marry each other, do not, I beg you, try to have children without the necessary precautions...it is absolutely selfish to do this knowingly
If I was a child of such a union, and my parents were not ignorant folks, I would haaate...whatever my genotype was. Consider this as you plan to tie the knot...

Bless

2 Likes

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by 5minsmadness: 12:30am On Nov 24, 2016
merahki:

cheesy
Thanks....but to be honest, not a big deal that I know it, cos I am a medico...I am rusty and actually had to pause to remember that conception does not mean delivery shocked lipsrsealed

About likes?
1...when I get a like notification, I hope it is for my "deep" posts and not for SMH-able posts, my heart sinks when it is for one of the latter
No control over that, might as well enjoy it.

2...on many occasions I would be the sole liker of a post...that one that may not be too funny or profound? but anytime I sense the poster made a real effort, or really believes what they post, or they quote someone and are ignored, etc, I like it.....it may not be funny to me oo..at times I would just discover what I call a "lonely" post and click...hoping it would make someone happy (covers face)
That's nice of you! Its good to know that there are a few more kind people like us hovering around this embittered environment grin

3...I never like a post with 12 likes...making it up to 13....I have an irrational aversion to that number...this comes from having read many oyibo books since childhood telling me the number is for bad luck, wearing clothes inside out and four leaved clovers etc are considered good luck
4...I have liked my own post once, on my former account. The reason was because it had 13 likes and I did not want that number...my skin kept crawling until I pressed the like button!

Same as me! I avoid that number as much as possible, I hardly type it sef tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 12:36am On Nov 24, 2016
People are taking love beyond its limit. I am AA and I married an AA. No stories.
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 24, 2016
Bisjosh:
I really dont know why in this age some people would still take the risk to bring SS children to this world

Dont tell me its love pls..cos its selfishness
that love would be thrown outta the window when the SS child keeps having crisis. ..then u would have wished you could turn back the hands of time

I had an SS brother and still breaks my heart when i think of him cos i miss him everyday cry

I am sorry for your loss
He is resting in peace
kiss
Re: Any Same AS Couples In The House? by southernbelle(f): 6:51am On Nov 25, 2016
merahki:

cheesy

About likes?
cheesy cheesy
You are funny.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Familylanders, I desire to start a family but have this major challenge / Split Acs, Water Dispenser, TV Stand, Home Theatre/woofer System Up For Grabs. / How Do I Help My Sales Girl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.