Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,025 members, 7,803,440 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

The Irreplaceable Gift - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Irreplaceable Gift (409 Views)

[poem] Irreplaceable Diamond (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Irreplaceable Gift by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2016
I remember every detail of our first meeting. I was moving a few boxes around the house sorting a few old clothes I wanted to give away- something I do once in a while, when a movie truck pulled up to the driveway opposite my house. I had a new neighbor. Good.

It was kind of getting lonely at this part of the close since my last neighbor moved out.

I just hope whoever it is isn't some worked up crazy person. Too many crazy people these days. Picking the phone I sent a quick text to my pastor, asking him to come by and pick up the clothes. Relaxing since my job was done, I settled down in the kitchen long enough to brew myself a cup of coffee. With lots of milk and sugar. Just the way I like it.

A few minutes later, I heard a soft knock at the door- I checked the wall clock, He was early, and I skipped my way over to the door to open it. What can I say? Coffee makes me happy.
Opening the door however offered me a surprise. There was a man on my doorstep. But he was not my pastor.
"Hello sir."

"Hi."

"My name is John. I'm your new neighbor, moved down the street" he pointed at the house opposite mine "Just thought I'd drop by and say hi."

What? I thought stuff like that only happened in the movies?
"Okay. You can come in."

"I brought you a new neighbor gift. Here."
Then he spied the unfinished chess game I left on the dining table.

"Do you play chess Mr?"

"Andrew."

"Mr Andrew?"

"Yes I do. But I must warn you, I'm terribly rusty."

"Me too. This should be fun."

And he proceeded to trounce me. Five games and I didn't even win one. We bonded over chess that day.

Over the months, Mr. John became one of my closest friends. We met at least once a week to play chess. I got better, but still lost a lot of games. Won a few games. Slowly "Mr. John" became "John" and then simply "J" but for today, I'd rather call him "Mr. John" it's a bit easier that way...

Read the rest at www.laolusblog.

(1) (Reply)

Valentine? / Get PUBLISHING CONTRACT In Nigeria! / Talented Script/screenwriter For Immediate Engagement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.