Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,772 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:44 PM

Letter To Incoming Batch B '16 Corp Members - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Letter To Incoming Batch B '16 Corp Members (499 Views)

Female Student's Love Letter To A Male Corper In Kaduna (Photo) / Open Letter To Outgoing Corps Members - Here’s Your Reality Check / Ogun Corp Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Letter To Incoming Batch B '16 Corp Members by Dolypson04(m): 7:43am On Nov 23, 2016
My darling Corp members, as our State coordinator in Imo state address us.
I am glad and grateful to God that you're eventually entering into your different orientations camp from today. It's a privilege. All graduates desire that unfortunately some won't be chanced due to situations beyond human control.
I want to make this letter as short as possible because I know you have a lot of preparation to make coupled with likely long journeys ahead.
I need to address some issues before you enter into camp.
Please bear these points in mind before you go;
1. Nysc is/is not a waste of 11 months
You have read on many where there was a call for nysc to be scrapped because to some that have experienced it, it's a pure waste of time and has completely lost its purpose of existence. Well if you ask me, I will probably say they are right. I felt that way too for the first three months I spent in Owerri. My conclusion on this is; NYSC is what you make it to be and this springs from your nurtured belief. If you see it as fruitful and productive, that's how it will turn out to be. If you see it as sheer waste of time, then it won't fail to waste your time.
2. All corpers are not mates
You probably believe that since you will all be in uniform, then your are equals. My dear, it's better you erase that notion. In life, there is nothing like been equal. Just accept that. A lot are far ahead of you and you are ahead of some.
A friend told me how a guy brought #700,000 to camp and spent #120,000 in a day. Some of us know how much we struggled to gather the transport fare.
I witness this myself when my roommate in camp then ministered to us. 32, a doctor by profession, a lecturer in Finland with permanent residence, he shared with us how he gave out 1000 suits to pastors in 2015 alone while teaching us the importance of giving.
Moral: Don't compete with anyone. Just accept the fact that some are ahead of you. Respect everybody!
3. Each location has its ups and downs
I am privileged to live in three different places. My PPA is at the core of Owerri Municipal. That's like what Iwo road is to Ibadan for those from my town and that's where my church family house is located too.
I lived for two months in my boss house, somewhere like an estate and I have a room in the village.
In the city, we have access to the internet, water and social live. Restaurant, Karaoke, Hotels, Gardens, etc.
Downsides:
Expensive transportation, daylight robbery, traders always wanting to take advantage of you especially when in khaki.
In the village, bad network, epileptic power supply, without electricity, there won't be water. (They don't dig well here, just borehole and only few will give you water when they pump with gen)
The positives about living in the village are;
a. Respect: everybody will want o associate with you. In here, we are mini celebrity. Even when I have nothing to eat, the children must call me and the adults must hail me and I have to smile and wave at them.
b. Security: Most villages are secured. Never experience stealing or robbery here.
I think foodstuffs in Owerri city are even far cheaper than that of their village except Akpu.
4. You will most likely be idle
Besides few of us that have demanding PPA's like schools and animal farms, 80% of us are idle. You need to spend your time judiciously. Buy and read books, learn a vocation, go for professional courses, do business!
Remember money is not the greatest asset a man can possess but TIME!
5. YOU MUST MAKE MONEY!
You wonder why this is in block letters?
Bernard Shaw once stated that "Our first duty is not to be poor" but I always add this to it "After seeking the kingdom of God and it's righteousness ".
Nothing is sadder than when a man needs money and his pocket is empty with the bank account on red.
From June to September , my allawe for the past month never carried me into next month. I ended each month with non withdrawable amounts 536, 584.... You know all those kind of balance. You wonder how I squandered #19800?
Okay. 1 paint of rice is #2100, beans is #1400, 1 bottle of Oil is #600, Kero is #300/litter, while in the village, transport fare to CDS and clearance venue is #2700 montly and the list goes on all in the name of increasing in dollar plus recession.
I can't speak for other locations but that's how things are here in Imo state. There was a lot of calls for the FG to increase Allawe to #48500. Anyways, I pray it will come to pass in your own time (though I don't believe in this my own prayer). I should remind you that your are already considered a working class. Your siblings will ask you for money, your cousins will ask you for support, you will want to appear financially capable to your lover (most guys and few girls)
October 18 marked the turn around in my finances.
How did it happen? I read a book (The secret) by Rhonda Bryne and I acted on it. A month after, I made time three of my allawe. MMM came to your mind, right? Off course it's not.
It's in four aspects so be rest assured that at least one of them will suit your personality and the goodnews is that initial capital is highly affordable.
I promised myself not to take a dime from any youths till the end of this year and those that commented on my previous post here https://www.nairaland.com/3437953/how-book-secret-nairaland-changed
can testify to it.
Why recreating the post? Because I am a Corper and corpers should benefit more from me. Plus I earn better and work smarter almost a month after the previous post.
Just whatsapp me on 07062875180 with the words "Corper and your name" e.g "Corper Andrew " If you work really hard, then I bet you can leave your allawee untouched for 11 months. This recession time is the best to take charge of your finances.
Remember information is power only if acted upon!
bon voyage!

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of A Skill / New Job Vacancy !!! / Apply With PUSHCV.COM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.