Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:47 AM

I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles (2944 Views)

China Shuts Down Christian Churches, Destroys Crosses, Burn Bibles / Three Sacred Things We Christians Abuse. / Do Witches & Wizards Exist? I Don't Think So! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 12:26pm On Nov 23, 2016
I don't mean reading the Bible o. I mean scrutinising the bible and studying it both theological and historical.
I doubt if we Christians really read our Bibles. When we are challenged about our beliefs We give lame evidence and when the listener refuses to believe we begin threatening them with eternity.

Let me give you a brief biblical history
After the formation of the Biblical Canon(NT) by Athanosus in 4th century CE. The New Testament remained unchallenged probably because the bible was not available to everyone. The Roman Catholic Church translates the bible in Latin which keeps the masses from reading it. At that time only one bible was kept in the church.
But after the Protestant Reformation when the bible began to be available to everyone, people began to read the Bible.
Age of Reasoning/Enlightenment
The 19th century also known as the age of reason is the time in which science began to grow speedily, many began to depend on reason and logic rather than superstition.
Man then decide to apply reasoning and logic to the bible. Then the scholars begin to doubt some biblical claims because there was not scientific or historic evidence. Since then man has continued to question religious claims which leads to the rise of Christian fundamentalism, that the scripture is perfect, inspired by God and does not contain errors (these was due to pressure by Liberal scholars).

Information Age
We now live in the information Age where information is rampant mostly due to the effect of the Internet. I urge every Christian to study the bible and not just follow what our pastors tell us to do. We should also view the bible critically without religious bias.

We are not born to follow rules and die but to change the world.

I sometimes feel surprised at Christians because so many don't even understand what the bible is saying. If you want to understand the bible very well read it in its historical context not just theological.

The time of Ignorance has passed.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 3:15pm On Nov 23, 2016
Kalatium:
I don't mean reading the Bible o. I mean scrutinising the bible and studying it both theological and historical.
I doubt if we Christians really read our Bibles. When we are challenged about our beliefs We give lame evidence and when the listener refuses to believe we begin threatening them with eternity.

After the formation of the Biblical Canon(NT) by Athanosus in 4th century CE. The New Testament remained unchallenged probably because the bible was not available to everyone. The Roman Catholic Church translates the bible in Latin which keeps the masses from reading it. At that time only one bible was kept in the church.
But after the Protestant Reformation when the bible began to be available to everyone, people began to read the Bible.
The 19th century also known as the age of reason is the time in which science began to grow speedily, many began to depend on reason and logic rather than superstition.
Man then decide to apply reasoning and logic to the bible. Then the scholars begin to doubt some biblical claims because there was not scientific or historic evidence. Since then man has continued to question religious claims which leads to the rise of Christian fundamentalism, that the scripture is perfect, inspired by God and does not contain errors (these was due to pressure by Liberal scholars).

Information Age
We now live in the information Age where information is rampant mostly due to the effect of the Internet. I urge every Christian to study the bible and not just follow what our pastors tell us to do. We should also view the bible critically without religious bias.

I sometimes feel surprised at Christians because so many don't even understand what the bible is saying. If you want to understand the bible very well read it in its historical context not just theological.

Please, what you, as a Bible believing Christian, think of the Bible? What's your opinion of the Bible and its contents.
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 3:15pm On Nov 23, 2016
Kalatium:

Information Age

Please, what you, as a Bible believing Christian, think of the Bible? What's your opinion of the Bible and its contents?
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 3:56pm On Nov 23, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Please, what you, as a Bible believing Christian, think of the Bible? What's your opinion of the Bible and its contents.
Thesame opinion that you will have.
But I am Liberal
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 4:07pm On Nov 23, 2016
Kalatium:

Thesame opinion that you will have.
But I am Liberal

Are you born again?
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Wilgrea7(m): 4:20pm On Nov 23, 2016
Kalatium:
Thesame opinion that you will have. But I am Liberal
wow... so what are your beliefs? just give me a summary...
have you read books outside the bible? did the bible copy some books?
i would really love to know your opinion
p.s.... I'm a liberal Christian too
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 4:21pm On Nov 23, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Are you born again?
What kind of question is this... Buh let me answer, I am born again and baptised
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by sonmvayina(m): 6:10pm On Nov 23, 2016
I was not created to follow the bible..i was made to follow the universe...i am one of the stars enjoying a human existence...

1 Like

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by YtivitissuP: 8:17pm On Nov 23, 2016
If Christians and Muslims live according to their books as much as just 1% of how agnostics or atheists live according to their logic and reasons, the world would be a better place

1 Like

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 8:30pm On Nov 23, 2016
YtivitissuP:
If Christians and Muslims live according to their books as much as just 1% of how agnostics or atheists live according to their logic and reasons, the world would be a better place
The conclusion of your argument is wrong(fallacious).
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 23, 2016
If Christians really study their bibles we won't have any Christians left.
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 8:57pm On Nov 23, 2016
Wilgrea7:

wow... so what are your beliefs? just give me a summary...
have you read books outside the bible? did the bible copy some books?
i would really love to know your opinion
p.s.... I'm a liberal Christian too
Have not read books outside the bible except apocrypha. I am not sure if the bible copy some books
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 6:44am On Nov 24, 2016
Kalatium:

What kind of question is this...
Buh let me answer, I am born again and baptised

That's good.

2 Timothy 3:16 says all Scripture is given by inspiration of God, which means in studying the Bible, you must first yield to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. You shouldn’t study the Scriptures the way you would an academic journal or a textbook. When you study, you have to cross-reference scriptures, and rely on the Holy Spirit to grant you understanding.

Part of the ministry of the Spirit in your life is to grant you revelation knowledge of the Word; He grants you insight into the secrets and mysteries of the Kingdom. He teaches you the Word. Therefore, relying on Him, and affirming that He’s with you to teach you and unveil the Word to you as you study, is very important.

I can never play down on acquiring knowledge and reading broadly, but when it comes to understanding the Bible, you just have to yield to the Spirit who inspired its writing: there are no two ways about it. Reading from the theological or historical point of view, can only equip you to have carnal knowledge, so that you can engage in silly arguments, which the Bible teaches us not to do.

Studying the Bible should be for a higher purpose, not to equip you for arguments: arguments with those who do not even believe in the engrafted word of God. The things of the spirit is foolishness to a carnal mind, and this also applies to explaining the Word of God to carnal minds; they will make a mockery of the living word.

Study to show yourself approved unto God and not unto men!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 9:44am On Nov 24, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

That's good.

2 Timothy 3:16 says all Scripture is given by inspiration of God, which means in studying the Bible, you must first yield to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. You shouldn’t study the Scriptures the way you would an academic journal or a textbook. When you study, you have to cross-reference scriptures, and rely on the Holy Spirit to grant you understanding.

Part of the ministry of the Spirit in your life is to grant you revelation knowledge of the Word; He grants you insight into the secrets and mysteries of the Kingdom. He teaches you the Word. Therefore, relying on Him, and affirming that He’s with you to teach you and unveil the Word to you as you study, is very important.

I can never play down on acquiring knowledge and reading broadly, but when it comes to understanding the Bible, you just have to yield to the Spirit who inspired its writing: there are no two ways about it. Reading from the theological or historical point of view, can only equip you to have carnal knowledge, so that you can engage in silly arguments, which the Bible teaches us not to do.

Studying the Bible should be for a higher purpose, not to equip you for arguments: arguments with those who do not even believe in the engrafted word of God. The things of the spirit is foolishness to a carnal mind, and this also applies to explaining the Word of God to carnal minds; they will make a mockery of the living word.

Study to show yourself approved unto God and not unto men!
Where in the bible does it say the Holy spirit will help you understand the bible.

As for 1 Timothy 3:16—it is referring to the old testament(Hebrew bible) not the new testament (Paul never knew that one day we will read his letters as scriptures.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 10:13am On Nov 24, 2016
Kalatium:

Where in the bible does it say the Holy spirit will help you understand the bible.

As for 1 Timothy 3:16—it is referring to the old testament(Hebrew bible) not the new testament (Paul never knew that one day we will read his letters as scriptures.

Jesus Christ! And you claim to be born again?
Wow!

So, the New Testament wasn't written by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit?

The Scripture says in II Peter 1:20-21, "You must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

II Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is God-breathed ( by inspiration of God) and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

The Bible rightly says "by their fruits ye shall know them"!

Brother, you're a fake! Christians please beware of false brethren like this; these are the people who come in the guise of Christians, just to lead men astray. He is saying in earnest that the new testament is a historical book which does not need the aid of the Holy Spirit to understand! Wow!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 10:57am On Nov 24, 2016
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 12:12pm On Nov 24, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Wow!

The Scripture says in II Peter 1:20-21, "You must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

II Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is God-breathed ( by inspiration of God) and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Brother, you're a fake! Christians please beware of false brethren like this; these are the people who come in the guise of Christians, just to lead men astray. He is saying in earnest that the new testament is a historical book which does not need the aid of the Holy Spirit to understand! Wow!
You're an ignorant human being, I didn't say the new testament wasn't inspired but Timothy3;16 does not refer to NT and 2peter 1: 20-21 refer to the prophets
Watch your mouth, am not a false Christian only Liberal
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 12:56pm On Nov 24, 2016
Kalatium:

You're an ignorant human being, I didn't say the new testament wasn't inspired but Timothy3;16 does not refer to NT and 2peter 1: 20-21 refer to the prophets
Watch your mouth, am not a false Christian only Liberal

Liberal born again indeed!
Please point me to the portion of the Bible that teaches liberal Christianity.
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 1:04pm On Nov 24, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Liberal born again indeed!
Please point me to the portion of the Bible that teaches liberal Christianity.
Point me also to the portion that teaches Conservative or fundamental Christianity
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 1:07pm On Nov 24, 2016
Kalatium:

Point me also to the portion that teaches Conservative or fundamental Christianity

Did I say anything about those? If you can't answer me, just leave it, don't try to wriggle out of a direct question.
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by jonbellion(m): 1:35pm On Nov 24, 2016
Ooh Goody smiley

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 1:56pm On Nov 24, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Did I say anything about those? If you can't answer me, just leave it, don't try to wriggle out of a direct question.
Then why ask me that kind of question, is just like saying, point where in the bible does it teaches Protestantism(Protestant Christianity) or , because someone didn't believe in Purgatory then he is a false Christian?
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2016
Kalatium:

Then why ask me that kind of question, is just like saying, point where in the bible does it teaches Protestantism(Protestant Christianity) or , because someone didn't believe in Purgatory then he is a false Christian?

Have a nice day, Sir.
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by akintom(m): 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2016
Kalatium:

Information Age

Reading or studying the Bible in its historical context, just revealed it not to be different from the oral and written documents of the yoruba traditional religion.

Historically, the Torah(old testament) of the Jews, is what the ancient ifa, orunmila, irunmale etc is to the yoruba religion.

And just as the yoruba ifa priest (one of them, using the moniker - babalawo is on NL) modernises the ifa concept, so did Jesus christ, introduced radical philosophy, psychology and mysticism to Torah.
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by GoodMuyis(m): 4:13pm On Nov 24, 2016
we need JESUS We need Jesus We need Holy Spirit We need Bible

1 Like

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Gboyee4fun(m): 9:34pm On Nov 24, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Wow!

see a real Christian calling someone fake.....this is how some Christian irritated you, did hr denied the existence of Christ or his second coming? I will advice you to take things gently.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 10:02pm On Nov 24, 2016
Gboyee4fun:

see a real Christian calling someone fake.....this is how some Christian irritated you, did hr denied the existence of Christ or his second coming? I will advice you to take things gently.

Sir, even satan knows all what you just said. There are some basic foundational truths of the Bible that once they're diluted, then what you practice as a Christian is an effort in futility.

How can a born again Christian question the role of the Holy Spirit in writing the new testament, and ask me to show him where the Bible says the holy spirit will give us understanding of the Bible? Did you read my write up and his reply?

This is the reason why you see people everyday claiming that they were once Christians but now atheists, and you ask yourself, how possible this is: it's simply because they wanted to do it all by themselves, thereby overlooking the ministry of the Holy Spirit. If Jesus could ask his disciples to wait until the Holy Spirit comes before going out preach, then who is man to question the role of the Holy Spirit when it comes to understanding the Bible?

I don't know what to say, but the truth is, I have no patience for people who try to twist the gospel and lead people astray. What that guy is doing looks harmless and all, but it is very misleading.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Gboyee4fun(m): 10:51pm On Nov 24, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Sir, even satan knows all what you just said. There are some basic foundational truths of the Bible that once they're diluted, then what you practice as a Christian is an effort in futility.

How can a born again Christian question the role of the Holy Spirit in writing the new testament, and ask me to show him where the Bible says the holy spirit will give us understanding of the Bible? Did you read my write up and his reply?

This is the reason why you see people everyday claiming that they were once Christians but now atheists, and you ask yourself, how possible this is: it's simply because they wanted to do it all by themselves, thereby overlooking the ministry of the Holy Spirit. If Jesus could ask his disciples to wait until the Holy Spirit comes before going out preach, then who is man to question the role of the Holy Spirit when it comes to understanding the Bible?

I don't know what to say, but the truth is, I have no patience for people who try to twist the gospel and lead people astray. What that guy is doing looks harmless and all, but it is very misleading.

And Satan don't know the scripture you are quoting?
there are so many things that we need to be careful of in Christianity, Satan knows the bible more than you can think...
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 5:54am On Nov 25, 2016
Gboyee4fun:

And Satan don't know the scripture you are quoting?
there are so many things that we need to be careful of in Christianity, Satan knows the bible more than you can think...

I sincerely do not understand the direction of this conversation.
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Gboyee4fun(m): 7:41am On Nov 25, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

I sincerely do not understand the direction of this conversation.

may God helps us

he advice christian to read historically and theologically which he is right, at least we have history in the bible, book of Samuels and kings, chronicles etc....though he may not be right when you guys are arguing but it doesnt means he is fake...

we just have to take things easy with what we know individually as Christian, ...that's just my own point.

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by Kalatium(m): 8:26am On Nov 25, 2016
Gboyee4fun:

may God helps us

he advice christian to read historically and theologically which he is right, at least we have history in the bible, book of Samuels and kings, chronicles etc....though he may not be right when you guys are arguing but it doesnt means he is fake...

we just have to take things easy with what we know individually as Christian, ...that's just my own point.
I think you are the only one that understands what am trying to say
Re: I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles by jcross19: 9:38am On Nov 25, 2016
Bible is divided in two portions which are mortal written and holy spirit guided written. The mortal written part of the bible is just human philosophy which we can be found in historical context of the bible, the rules and law of the israelites while the holy spirit guided written is the prophetic part of the bible and direct word from God through holy spirit which stand from genesis to revelation . Truly, as a christian we need to read , observe and meditate on our bible through it we will be free from mental slavery. John 8 vs 32 says: you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. If you doubt what am saying I can give you few bible verses from paul view that contradict the teaching of jesus christ.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Share Ur Dreams 4 Interpretations / 5 Nights Of Glory 2013 / Is Cuddling and Kissing A Sin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.