Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,847 members, 7,802,708 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba (20911 Views)

My Experience Buying Redmi Note 9s From Slot Online / Chinese Market Where You Can Build A Smartphone From Scratch In A Couple Of Hour / Infinix Hot 7 And Infinix Hot 7 Pro Specs : Upcoming Infinix Smartphone In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:05pm On Nov 24, 2016
Some days ago, I decided to get a new phone and I had to choose between buying from Jumia or buying from a shop, I chose the latter as it was going to be more fun.

As a Techie, I'd say buying things from Aba is fun and interesting but you'll have to be really smart. I also had to choose between buying in the Market (Ariaria) or going into the main town. I didn't want a too expensive phone so I placed my budget between 30-40k.

I ended up taking a bus to St Michael's Road, Aba. I walked around the shops, bargaining and I noticed something quite common among the people selling the smartphones.

They always try to make you feel like an inferior device is good. My advice is " no matter what don't listen to them" . Buy what you want and leave.

Something really funny happened at the last shop I went to :
I initially requested for a phone with a battery capacity of 3000maH and above between 30-40k. They brought out an Infinix Note 2. Looking at the device, I was really happy but always remember - you don't judge a book by it's cover. I opened the back of the phone and checked the battery, 4040maH. (quite impressive )

I turned on the phone. The boot transition wasn't too smooth, it seemed like a fake Infinix phone but I decided to investigate thoroughly before concluding.

After the phone finished booting, I opened the app drawer and went through the system apps. The icons looked bigger and lacked quality, unlike the ones in most Infinix phones.I spotted something strange again - Tecno's Boom Player installed on an Infinix Phone. I was shocked. (Chai).

The next discovery gave me a massive blow. I checked the phone's RAM Capacity and to my greatest surprise it was just 218MB while on the pack it was 2GB. I was dumbfounded. At that moment, I realized that if I didn't know anything about smartphones, I would have just bought a fake phone for about 36k and later regret it .(In this recession, it's unfair
nah).

The same fake infinix device I dropped, an unsuspecting lady, unaware of my discovery picked it up and started asking about the price. I shook my head in pity. I always stay out of trouble so i couldn't tell her she was about to buy a fake phone in front of the shop owner.

I decided to overlook the battery capacity and get another phone. I looked around the shop and spotted a TECNO W4 with a 2500maH battery, I went through the phone and everything was okay. I paid for it and left. (I bought the phone for N32,000). On my way out of the shop a guy met me and asked if I wanted to install apps on the phone so I decided to play along.

I asked how much to install WhatsApp and Facebook. The guy told me N500. I laughed and told him not to worry, maybe next time. If only he knew what I was saying in my mind. (hehehe.. You don't know who you're talking to.)
I just took a bus home.

That was quite an adventure . If you're not smart you may end up with a fake phone.
Lesson - If you're not good in detecting good smartphones always go with someone who knows about it. All that glitters is not Gold.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:06pm On Nov 24, 2016
Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by Collenshy2020(m): 6:13pm On Nov 24, 2016
You are truly confirmed Nwa Aba, my experience at Nokia house over there is still fresh within.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by bustykasa(f): 6:22pm On Nov 24, 2016
hmmmmm
Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by kinggogo: 6:26pm On Nov 24, 2016
Nice buh u should av given d lady sign or smthin smiley

11 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:30pm On Nov 24, 2016
Collenshy2020:
You are truly confirmed Nwa Aba, my experience at Nokia house over there is still fresh within.
hehehe we no dey carry last .. What happened when you went to Nokia house grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by Dandsome: 6:36pm On Nov 24, 2016
Hmmm, stories that touch abi
Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by Basildvalour(m): 6:36pm On Nov 24, 2016
Warning:

If you want to buy phones in Aba, please avoid St. Michael Hustlers. Buy from a registered phone dealer or better still go to Slot, Aba.

That was how one beginner at St. Michaels wanted to sell a Camon C8 for 20k and on top of it, add a Nokia torch to it as a gift all in the name of promo.

I told him to unpack the phone so l can go through it, he refused and told me to pay first and he will unpack it. I agreed, paid and to unpack became a problem. He called a guy and told me to follow him so he can unpack it for me and install some app for me.

l just laughed, collected my money from him and disappeared to SLOT.

13 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:25pm On Nov 24, 2016
Basildvalour:
Warning:

If you want to buy phones in Aba, please avoid St. Michael Hustlers. Buy from a registered phone dealer or better still go to Slot, Aba.

That was how one beginner at St. Michaels wanted to sell a Camon C8 for 20k and on top of it, add a Nokia torch to it as a gift all in the name of promo.

I told him to unpack the phone so l can go through it, he refused and told me to pay first and he will unpack it. I agreed, paid and to unpack became a problem. He called a guy and told me to follow him so he can unpack it for me and install some app for me.

Guy you for enter to one chance.
grin grin

17 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:27pm On Nov 24, 2016
kinggogo:
Nice buh u should av given d lady sign or smthin smiley
I tried but she wasn't looking.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by Basildvalour(m): 7:32pm On Nov 24, 2016
NaijaTechGuy:

Guy you for enter to one chance. grin grin
I wise pass like that na

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by henrydadon(m): 7:51pm On Nov 24, 2016
grin

only illiterate and people that dont have much knowledge about phone will fall for such..thankgod say you go school and you be sharp guy grin

i thought i was about to read another 'PHONE TURN TO FUFU" kinda story grin

[img]http://i./O5NyCibf93upy.gif[/img]

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by CR77(f): 7:51pm On Nov 24, 2016
Chai nwanne
Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by brainpulse: 7:51pm On Nov 24, 2016
94% of goods sold at Abia are very fake.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by priscaoge(f): 7:52pm On Nov 24, 2016

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by veekid(m): 7:53pm On Nov 24, 2016
Location checked

7 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by datola: 7:54pm On Nov 24, 2016
Aba

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by ellechrystal(f): 7:54pm On Nov 24, 2016
Lol
Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by Shol3(f): 7:54pm On Nov 24, 2016
Thank god it's not fufu grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by dragonking3: 7:55pm On Nov 24, 2016
Op, the only thing I can say to you is welcome to biafra. grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by ellechrystal(f): 7:55pm On Nov 24, 2016
ABA things, causing wahala since 1907.
Abia boys are smart o. U need to be smarter with the help of the Holy spirit .
Pele

7 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by slurryeye: 7:56pm On Nov 24, 2016
*cough
Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by ellechrystal(f): 7:57pm On Nov 24, 2016
Basildvalour:
Warning:

Loool, na so them dey do o. Some of them will come to computer village n sell u fufu or soap and call it phone.
Na so u go buy phone finish, go ur house go open see sey na fufu u buy, or soda soap. Smh

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2016
brainpulse:
94% of goods sold at Abia are very fake.

Provide facts and figures to buttress this flagrant claim undecided undecided

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by DanPel(m): 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2016
I only strolled in to check the location of incident,were curtain,i won pass comot

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by Youngpo413: 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2016
Basildvalour:
Warning:

slots opposite abia poly is da bomb!

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by PhatBG(m): 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2016
There's this saying that if an Aba man sees Jesus. You'll get a photocopy of Jesus the next day in Aba markets.gringringrin

Check my signature.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by shumuel(m): 8:00pm On Nov 24, 2016
I dey come make i read first, hoping it wont be another SeunEgegbe story grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by Generalyemi(m): 8:00pm On Nov 24, 2016
yes.....igbos will teach to be smart,in a rough way
Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 24, 2016
Tribal bigotry has killed the comments section. cry

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying A Smartphone In Aba by NIGHTMAREOO7: 8:02pm On Nov 24, 2016
Generalyemi:
yes.....igbos will teach to be smart,in a rough way

Yes...and yorubas will teach u to be dull in a dull way grin

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Glo Data Plan - Get 1.2gb For N200 And 6gb For N1000 / Where Is Your Favorite Phone Pressing Spot? / Cat B15 Android Smartphone By Caterpillar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.