Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? (15944 Views)

Between Mitsubishi L300 Bus And Nissan Vanette Bus Which Is More Economical / How Economical Are V4 Cars? / Which Is More Economical Toyota Previa 1st Model Vs Audi A4 B6 2.0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by excanny: 9:21am On Nov 25, 2016
samuelson06:
The comfort in your private car and jumping from one dirty yellow bus to another, which one is better?

Yeah. In terms of comfort, no comparisons. Driving your own car is best. But I\m asking in terms of cost. Which saves the Naira?
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by excanny: 9:24am On Nov 25, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
Bicycles remains the best mode of navigating lagos. Very economical, No air pollution and natural air bettee than car's air-conditioning.

The danger of being knocked off Third Mainland Bridge is very high and is likely to increase one's medical bills if injury is sustained. And thats very expensive. grin

1 Like

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Pavore9: 9:32am On Nov 25, 2016
olaolaking:
Which is one is more economical? That is the question.

Owning a car!
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by datigbogirl: 9:35am On Nov 25, 2016
Tunmmyzhe:
depend on area ...like me I live in Ijoko in Ogun state and work in Isolo

den no born me well make I take car go work I need 20ltrs( #3k) of fuel to take me to and fro everyday cos my Nissan quest na v6 and dey drink fuel like water And u know traffic on that road?

while my tfare daily is #700 and #540 if a board train.

secondly taking car out in Lagos is permutation o, fair of FRSC,police,lasma and others no go allow u to take motor out o.

20k for only single traffic offence for this recession?

since almost a month now I never start my car talkess of taking it out

My brother driving a car is serious stress but ppl just don't know. I prefer to be driven than doing the actual driving hence when I get a car I'll also get a driver who's focused only on driving not like me that my mind is on somewhere else while I'm on the wheels.

1 Like

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by olaolaking: 9:38am On Nov 25, 2016
Pavore9:

Owning a car!
You just answered the question now. You may be right or wrong though
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by seguno2: 9:45am On Nov 25, 2016
photoshoot:

Shut up! undecided

The blue brt isn't enough?

I will ignore your insult to answer your question.
No, the blue brt is not enough.
If it was enough, 70-90% of Lagosians will use it and there will be less traffic jams.
Can you understand that or should I explain more?
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 25, 2016
Jarus:
I hate driving in Lagos during work days, except in April, June-Sep and December, when traffic is light. I enjoy driving only on Sundays.

It's crazy, stressful. I use my company's staff bus or public transport.

I hate driving in traffic.

On economy, it's obvious that public transport is more economical, but if you value the discomfort, it may not be exactly so.
December??
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Hargusto(m): 10:10am On Nov 25, 2016
THERE'S NO MUCH STRESS IN ANSWERING THIS QUESTION, ESP THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED BOTH

THE WORD ECONOMICAL SAYS IT ALL

PUBLIC TRANSPORT - ECONOMICAL

PRIVATE CAR - CONVINIENCY

1) u can price t-fare or plead with conductor to collect what you have but u cant negotiate with your car...when ever the car breaks down, u have to do the needful by force

2) u spend less on public transport but with your car, u spend more esp on fuel...lastma, frsc or vio holds you, na issue,

3) u can plan yoursef for the month with public transport but with private car, you cant cos most times, unexpectd does happen

and so on
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Jidalli007: 10:23am On Nov 25, 2016
In a case of heavy traffic and you are late, would you jump off your car as you would a public transport?
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by princeogbeide1(m): 10:35am On Nov 25, 2016
sammieguze:
Funny question. Owning a car has always been for luxury and comfort rather than for economic reasons. Public transport no matter where it is will always be more economic. However. The ease to leave your home whenever you want to cannot be overemphasized

uu r smart
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by azpekuliar: 10:41am On Nov 25, 2016
The most economical way is by motorbike. Get one!
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by excanny: 10:53am On Nov 25, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
N4,000 worth of fuel serves me the entire week including weekend movements.

Cost of entering public transport to and fro my workplace is N900 per day ( x 5 working days = N4,500); and thats like 3 drops + bikes and keke.

For me, both economical and comfort, driving my own car is the best.

Depends on where you are living and how economic is your car.

Whao! Where do you work and live?
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by slex(m): 11:03am On Nov 25, 2016
My brother, economic wise it's public transport l.
Take for example, you are running late and there is a serious traffic jam. U go down and find okada.

I have experienced some traffic jams that take up to 6 hours maybe because one truck or trailer breaks down or blocks off one way completely
Even trekkers will get home before you.

On the other hand if you have a car that the tank is not too large aka tundra and Ford F150 series lovers you have no problem. Just you leave home very early and leave work very late(here you sacrifice your sleep).
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Originalsly: 11:33am On Nov 25, 2016
It depends on location..... where you live , how far from work, your route to work and your work schedule.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by MICHEALADEX(m): 12:15pm On Nov 25, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
Bicycles remains the best mode of navigating lagos. Very economical, No air pollution and natural air bettee than car's air-conditioning.

Olodo can you ride from ikorodu to VI or okoko to alausa ikeja...your life go require refurbishment in just 3 day
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Engrr(m): 10:52pm On Nov 25, 2016
owing a car can never be more economical in any way! Rather a car makess your life easier, sometimes fasther and above all gives you prestige. You may never spend the the value of the cheapest good car in public transport through out your life.. before u start talking of maintaining the car and fuelling it
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 27, 2016
AnonyNymous:

December??

Yes, Lagos traffic is very light in December.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by sisisioge: 11:05pm On Dec 05, 2016
x240:
If you leave home daily by 5am and return late in the night.

Please endeavour to get a car in Lagos even if it's a small Picanto.

You are likely to be mugged or robbed at those early hours by pickpockets and so on. The probability of it happening in a year is 60% . Just inagine you loosing your phones and personal belongings and the trauma involved. You would understand why getting a car is much more economical.
Also, people forget communicable disease that you tend to get in oublic transport. Someone coughing to your mouth, lice, bed bugs and so on. Factor in the costs of this over a year and you would understand why a private car is essential. People need to also factor in time consumed, i spend 2 hours just following public buses but if i were to drive , i am at work in 40minutes. 1hr 20minutes of your day if costs are factored is no small money.

If your work schedule is however around 8am to 6pm and you are constantly home before sundown and your place ain't too far, better you follow public transport. As for those mentioning BRT. What's the span of those BRT buses

Hmmmm, do you perhaps know how one can repair bad PM? Mine is totally bad.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Nobody: 5:07am On Dec 06, 2016
sisisioge:

Hmmmm, do you perhaps know how one can repair bad PM? Mine is totally bad.
PM? Personal message or what exactly please?
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by sisisioge: 10:00am On Dec 06, 2016
x240:

PM? Personal message or what exactly please?

Yeah, PM. Mine doesn't work. I can't respond to peep's messages even if I want to, though I could respond to mails directly sent to my email cheesy cheesy How am I doing?
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 06, 2016
sisisioge:

Yeah, PM. Mine doesn't work. I can't respond to peep's messages even if I want to, though I could respond to mails directly sent to my email cheesy cheesy How am I doing?

I am fine . sent you an email. check.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by sisisioge: 4:13pm On Dec 06, 2016
x240:

I am fine . sent you an email. check.

Okies...responded via my other email. May drop a number on the thread sef, just wary of unsolicited calls ni.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by koom4real2: 7:31am On Aug 19, 2020
I think it all depends on where you live, destination, mode of transportation available and routes.

For me, economically, comfort and security, driving is cheaper.

I drive Camry with fuel of 3k weekly (about 12-15 monthly), Irawo to Maryland and I get to use the car for weekend runz.

Using the cheapest public transport for same route costs 17,600 (800X22days i.e 100bike to bus stop, 300BRT, walk to office from bus stop and repeat same in the evening). Please note, you don't get to see bike on time most mornings, you're already sweaty and dirty if you walk. BRT don't sell ticket until 7am. Do the math, except you work with organisation with relaxed opening time.

PS: I have people that joined me to Maryland, and continue their journey with public transport.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by temmym4(m): 10:48am On Aug 19, 2020

Awesome. Why not ride a bicycle From Ojodu to to Lekki or Lakowe?! Start at exactly 1pm immediately after a scorching sun, then probably rain with Heavy breeze fall down from the sky around 3:30pm, still on your economical natural air journey.

Or better still, start by midnight since you are to resume work by 7.

Enjoy your ride.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Driving Position Mistakes Car Drivers Make / Let's Build A Car / The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.