Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,406 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Why Relationships Fail - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Relationships Fail (3660 Views)

Why Do Women Always Fail This Test / Divorces/Broken Relationships:To GLOAT or Not To GLOAT? / Why Do Some Guys Spend Lavishly On Women But Fail To Take Care Of Their Parents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Relationships Fail by azibit: 7:45am On Nov 26, 2016
Do Relationships break because people fall out of love or simply were not in love from the beginning? How do you know you are in love with someone? What are the basic ways to improve relationships? Why are marriages breaking Up?

Well, here are some questions that run through my mind every single day when I see relationships fail. I think I have seen about a few and I can share some of my thoughts and I would like you to share yours too.

Would love to make this a continuous thread so that we can learn from the mistake of others and develop our relationships and avoid another loss of Relationship. Let's get started.

1. Lack of Sincere Purpose
Most people if asked why they are in a relationship cannot simply give a sincere answer for why they have a partner. Well, everyone has a partner so I also have a partner. Everyone is getting married so I have to get married. Most people are in a relationship simply because they are following the wave of life. Following what others are doing.
Take a few minutes of your life today and write on a piece of paper why you really want the relationship you are having. Some people find it difficult to even be sincere to theirselves. When you cannot trust yourself, then can you be trusted.
Find a quiet time to yourself and explain to yourself why you want this relationship. Whatever reason it is, write it down.
Let's start with this exercise and move on from here.
Share your Purpose here with us and let's help one another.
Re: Why Relationships Fail by Towncrier007(m): 7:49am On Nov 26, 2016
ohhh life
Re: Why Relationships Fail by azibit: 9:22am On Dec 02, 2016
2. Beyond having a sincere purpose, some couples have no reason for being together beyond sex. I want to marry because God says Marry. I want to marry because I want to have someone to spend my life with in ease and in difficulty.

Most people nowadays simply do things because their friends and colleagues do it. I want a big wedding because my sisters wedding was big. My dear, you and your sister are not competitors. People organize weddings such that people simply come to eat, meet other people and just enjoy. They are even not interested in the name of the couples.

I believe it is time we set our priorities right in our relationship and get to do things because it would make our relationship life better rather than because others are doing the same thing

Thanks for Reading
Re: Why Relationships Fail by Esetim(f): 11:23am On Dec 02, 2016
azibit:
2. Beyond having a sincere purpose, some couples have no reason for being together beyond sex. I want to marry because God says Marry. I want to marry because I want to have someone to spend my life with in ease and in difficulty.

Most people nowadays simply do things because their friends and colleagues do it. I want a big wedding because my sisters wedding was big. My dear, you and your sister are not competitors. People organize weddings such that people simply come to eat, meet other people and just enjoy. They are even not interested in the name of the couples.

I believe it is time we set our priorities right in our relationship and get to do things because it would make our relationship life better rather than because others are doing the same thing

Thanks for Reading

Nicely written.
Re: Why Relationships Fail by YUNGLURD(m): 11:38am On Dec 02, 2016
for the potential lazy readers, the summary of the op's write up is ''when the purpose of something is not known, abuse is inevitable''.

2 Likes

Re: Why Relationships Fail by azibit: 8:54am On Dec 03, 2016
3. Prayer
Some people say Nigerians are too religious. Well, it is because this whole planet cannot have been created by a string of randomness so it is better to stick with He who created the planet.

When we feel we do not need God, we have already created a foundation for a failed relationship. Never should you keep a relationship in a way God does not want. A lot of relationships are already misplaced in the sight of God and you want your relationship to work. Sorry Brother and Sister, ko le work.

Seeking God in any of our endeavors is important. Before starting any relationship or while in any relationship. Keep your call to God constant. tell Him to put you two together if that is going to be the best. If not, let everyone find his/her partner soon. Because we choose to be alone in our activities, God says Okay, handle your matter on your own. Couples should pray together, speak to God always.

Never have I seen a couple who has God as their pillar and they have failed. No, there would be challenges. but we can only become better in the face of challenges. Your current relationship problem does not mean God has forsaken you. He is simply preparing you for something greater.

I hope we start creating time to pray together as couples and I believe things would definitely get better
Thanks for Reading

1 Like

Re: Why Relationships Fail by azibit: 7:53am On Dec 04, 2016
4. Patience
The idea most of us have about marriage is like a machine that never develops any fault. A machine that continues to be new every single day. However, marriage is never like that. Marriage is like buying an old car and having to maintain for the rest of your life.

What makes marriages successful? It is a set of patience and persistence to make the relationship work. People who stay together forever always have to make extra effort at being patient. If you want to start a relationship, the most important key of what you need to have is you must be patient.

Always remember that the most important virtue any couple can have is PATIENCE. Always remember that the decision to make your relationship work is based on how patient you can be. No person is ever perfect, you simply have to be patient about the things you do not like your spouse for the things you like.

Please let's endeavor to make our relationships work. The rate of failed relationships creates an atmosphere bad for the upcoming generation. Please lets make a difference today. Be patient with your spouse till your spouse thinks My Dear, you are patient oooooo, whats the problem?

Thanks for Reading
Re: Why Relationships Fail by isahusiomon58(m): 11:33am On Dec 04, 2016
convincing, thumbs up bro, #myfirst comment on NL

1 Like

Re: Why Relationships Fail by chriskosherbal(m): 1:19pm On Dec 04, 2016
Nice write up op
Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 3:39pm On Dec 04, 2016
I occasionally make wedding cakes and this is what I have observed. Many are in love with the notion of being married they love the fact that they are married it's a status symbol after all however the notion that marriage is a partnership is lost to many. I have sat with many brides and it does not surprise me anymore that they will plan and know about every detail in relation to the wedding but do not know the husband's favourite colour is or what his inner fear is what makes him laugh. It might sound petty to some but I am trying to make a point how well do you know someone before you marry them? Working to save a marriage means there is a chance to salvage how can you salvage what was not going to work in the first instance.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Relationships Fail by mysticgal(f): 4:11pm On Dec 04, 2016
Raine80,you are going too far. Some girls marry because of the pictures that woUld be taken.I am really serious.I asked a 20 year old why she was getting married and the girl said she does not know oh but her pictures would be dope...like TF,seriously. No handwork,no sense,I doubt she knows she knows left from right,no knowledge about marriage and will still birth babies that migHt suffer because of divorce(jesus!!)

Every woman who wants to get married must build virtue,take your mind off instagram and have a purpose for getting married shikena.

2 Likes

Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 4:20pm On Dec 04, 2016
mysticgal:
Raine80,you are going too far. Some girls marry because of the pictures that woUld be taken.I am really serious.I asked a 20 year old why she was getting married and the girl said she does not know oh but her pictures would be dope...like TF,seriously. No handwork,no sense,I doubt she knows she knows left from right,no knowledge about marriage and will still birth babies that migHt suffer because of divorce(jesus!!)

Every woman who wants to get married must build virtue,take your mind off instagram and have a purpose for getting married shikena.
That's a 20 year old for pete's sake. What do they know? Like seriously, what does a 20 year old know?

Many come on social media and show all manner of cow boy machismo, forgetting that it's one thing to talk and another thing to do.

The lack of maturity we see today is among what is responsible for the high rate of divorce in Nigeria today.

Many always fail to ask themselves, after wedding, what next? That's why they always tumble and find fault...

3 Likes

Re: Why Relationships Fail by mysticgal(f): 4:31pm On Dec 04, 2016
JoeBlocks:
That's a 20 year old for pete's sake. What do they know? Like seriously, what does a 20 year old know?

Many come on social media and show all manner of cow boy machismo, forgetting that it's one thing to talk and another thing to do.

The lack of maturity we see today is among what is responsible for the high rate of divorce in Nigeria today.

Many always fail to ask themselves, after wedding, what next? That's why they always tumble and find fault...
After which they say to themselves,I tried my best,which is obviously their best but unfortunately is not a good enough best.

1 Like

Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 4:36pm On Dec 04, 2016
mysticgal:

After which they say to themselves,I tried my best,which is obviously their best but unfortunately is not a good enough best.
Anything termed 'best' based on narrow mindedness and naivete isn't anybody's best.

Many people are more talk than action. How can you give your best when you don't even know where you're supposed to channel that best to in the first place.

I find the mindset of many people very funny nowadays.

2 Likes

Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 04, 2016
mysticgal:

So what do you think I was saying in my response? Going to far? Hardly I should have said more!
Re: Why Relationships Fail by Splinz(m): 5:05pm On Dec 04, 2016
mysticgal:

Every woman who wants to get married must build virtue,take your mind off instagram and have a purpose for getting married

Nice.

1 Like

Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 04, 2016
JoeBlocks:

My point was what you are saying here , the emphasis is on getting married but not why am I getting married, what is going to happen after the cakes, presents and fan fare has gone? You have committed to do something without the compatability to support you.

3 Likes

Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 5:19pm On Dec 04, 2016
Raine80:

My point was what you are saying here , the emphasis is on getting married but not why am I getting married, what is going to happen after the cakes, presents and fan fare has gone? You have committed to do something without the compatability to support you.
That compatibility is what many still fail to grasp. Support is suppose to come from the two side of a marriage (male and female).

One who commit into anything without knowing what that commitment is about is heading for failure.

Many still believe marriage is about the gilts and glamour, or even wearing a wedding ring and branding the status of "I'm married".

1 Like

Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 5:25pm On Dec 04, 2016
Long (uneccessary) story.

Relationships fail because the parties involved take each other for granted. They get too comfortable and neglect sets in. They stop dating and courting each other. Boyfriend and girlfriends become husband and wife and children comes and the fun stops.

I think people should treat their relationships like a job! Do what you do to keep ya job. Work hard, show up on time, keep yer boss happy etc.

Same should go for relationships. If you want a happy relationships, put in the work. Lazy folks should not get into one. Simple.

3 Likes

Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 04, 2016
JoeBlocks:
That compatibility is what many still fail to grasp. Support is suppose to come from the two side of a marriage (male and female).

One who commit into anything without knowing what that commitment is about is heading for failure.

Many still believe marriage is about the gilts and glamour, or even wearing a wedding ring and branding the status of "I'm married".
This is why I don't comprehend the "Raine80 you are going to far" comment. Many persue the status rather than the reality. It will never work if there is no common ground no foundation or familiarity.If you don't each other how can you work together to make something work? The mind boggles !
Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 5:39pm On Dec 04, 2016
Raine80:

This is why I don't comprehend the "Raine80 you are going to far" comment. Many persue the status rather than the reality. It will never work if there is no common ground no foundation or familiarity.If you don't each other how can you work together to make something work? The mind boggles !
The mind will continue to boggle as long as people lack depth.

Look at the society we live in today. All you see is fakeness, pretending, narrow mindedness, holier than thou attitude and what have you. Then you'll ask yourself how a person who has all this negative attribute can make the home work.

A person's personal attitude is a pointer if that person's marriage is heading for failure or success.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 04, 2016
JoeBlocks:
The mind will continue to boggle as long as people lack depth.

Look at the society we live in today. All you see if fakeness, pretending, narrow mindedness, holier than thou attitutde and what have you. Then you'll ask yourself how a person who has all this negative attribute can make the home work.

A person's personal attitude is a pointer if that person's marriage is heading for failure or success.
People used to be so transparent now ,they come with layers like an onion and few are patient enough to go though the layers before committing.
Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 5:58pm On Dec 04, 2016
Raine80:

People used to be so transparent now ,they come with layers like an onion and few are patient enough to go though the layers before committing.
The layers are usually full of fakeness, pretending and all manner of what I'm ashamed to even mentioned.

Who has time to go through all those annoying layers. What happened to 'take me as I am'?
Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 04, 2016
JoeBlocks:
The layers are usually full of fakeness, pretending and all manner of what I'm ashamed to even mentioned.

Who has time to go through all those annoying layers. What happened to 'take me as I am'?
Many don't know why they are to begin with ...how can they expect anyone to know them?
It's quite refreshing speaking to you ( I digress slightly )
Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 6:15pm On Dec 04, 2016
Raine80:

Many don't know why they are to begin with ...how can they expect anyone to know them?
It's quite refreshing speaking to you ( I digress slightly )
It's the world we live in. Full of uninformed opinion.

It's always a pleasure speaking to a free mind as refreshing as yours. smiley
Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 04, 2016
JoeBlocks:
It's the world we live in. Full of uninformed opinion.

It's always a pleasure speaking to a free mind as refreshing as yours. smiley
Why thank you...
This forum does not seem like such a bleak place

1 Like

Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 6:28pm On Dec 04, 2016
Raine80:

Why thank you...
This forum does not seem like such a bleak place
LOL. Believe me, it isn't. It's like Nigeria. Where you see different people from all works of life.

You just have to spot the difference and sieve the nonsense, from the sense.

I tell you, this forum have added great value to me, better than FaceBook or Twitter ever did. smiley

And you're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 7:33pm On Dec 04, 2016
JoeBlocks:
LOL. Believe me, it isn't. It's like Nigeria. Where you see different people from all works of life.

You just have to spot the difference and sieve the nonsense, from the sense.

I tell you, this forum have added great value to me, better than FaceBook of Twitter ever did. smiley

And you're welcome.
There are times and there are many when I just read posts and I start to respond and then I stop myself as I realise there is no point. On the odd occasion I find a gem!

2 Likes

Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 7:43pm On Dec 04, 2016
Raine80:

There are times and there are many when I just read posts and I start to respond and then I stop myself as I realise there is no point. On the odd occasion I find a gem!
A gem is a gem, as rare and precious, but a gem isn't a gem cos gems have class.

It's always nice to separate gem from stones. And precious stone from precious stones. smiley
Re: Why Relationships Fail by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 04, 2016
JoeBlocks:
A gem is a gem, as rare and precious, but a gem isn't a gem cos gems have class.

It's always nice to separate gem from stones. And precious stone from precious stones. smiley
Well said
Re: Why Relationships Fail by JoeBlocks(m): 8:10pm On Dec 04, 2016
Raine80:

Well said
Thanks. Will I be letting my audacity get the better of me if I quiver to ask to know you more?. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairalanders, Am I Too Strict On My Wife? / Story Of My Life And Lessons To Learn. / B.reastfeeding While Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.