Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,385 members, 7,800,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria (40319 Views)

Places In Lagos You Should Be Careful Of Before Buying Land / Preventive Measures When Buying Land In Nigeria. / Four Vital Documents To Prove Land Ownership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by babyvoice1990(m): 4:37pm On Nov 26, 2016
There are a number of crucial documents

1. Receipt

2. Approved survey plan

3. Approved layout

4. Power of Attorney

5. Deed of assignment

6. Certificate of Occupancy ( C of O)

I would categorize the people from which you can buy any parcel of land into three: An estate developer, an individual & directly from the family who claims to own the land. If you are dealing with an estate developer (buying within an estate), you should ask for the approved survey plan, approved layout, the power of attorney and the global C of O. If you are buying from an individual or company (one who has bought and wishes to resell), you should ask for the receipt, deed of assignment, approved survey plan and C of O.

Buying directly from the family who claims to own the land is quite tricky. This is because it is difficult to determine the true owners of the land especially when the documents showing ownership haven’t been processed.

Where the documents haven’t been processed, there are no documents to show authenticity and a prospective buyer has to really a great deal on word of mouth from the members of the community to ascertain the true owner(s) of the land in question.

When the documents have been processed, they should provide you with the approved survey plan, approved layout (where the land is a large one and is being sold on a per plot basis) and the C of O.

From my experience, families usually don’t go to the length of processing their C of O. Reason being that they hope to sell off their land in the near future thus only do the absolute minimum required to show authenticity, in this case the approved survey plan and layout, then passing it on to the buyer who would go on to perfect his/her title on the land.

NOTE: It is very important that you have a good property lawyer before embarking on land/property purchase. Reason being that your lawyer is the one who ensures that you don’t run into legal trouble with land/property documents after purchase. It’s your lawyer’s job to verify the authenticity of any title document backing the land/property.

PROPERTY SEARCH
Under the Lagos State Land Bureau:

Conducting a Search:
• Application submitted with affidavit of purpose (searches are conducted using the following criteria: – Name of Owner, Registration Particulars, Address of Property and Survey Plan.
• Letter of Authority (where applicable)
• Endorsement
• Bill for payment of Search Fees
• Tender Tellers
• Conduct Search

Work Flow for Registration of Title:
• Confirmation of all payment receipt (by Accounts Department)
• Collection of Form A13 from the Office of Registrar of Titles by Applicant – 1 day
• Duly completed Form A13 with supporting documents are submitted by Applicant to the Office of the Registrar of Titles
• A registration number & application number are issued to a certified application – 1 day
• Notice are prepared for interested parties signatures
• Reply to Notice is received and Draft Entries prepared
• An approved Notice is e-mailed /posted by registered post to applicant
• Prepared Notice are forwarded to Registrar of Titles for approval of issuance of Notice to Applicant
• Approval of Draft Entries
• Typing & Binding of Title
• Final Indexing of Title
• File is sent via the Deputy Registrar of Titles to ROT for signature
• Registered Title delivered to applicant

Work Flow for Registration of Deeds
• Submission of Application with relevant documents for registration of Deed by Applicants
• Application with accompanying documents are checked and endorsed
• Satisfied application/document are issued with registration number
• Application sent for indexing
• Applicant file is send to Deputy Registrar of Titles for signature
• File is sent to Registrar of Titles for second signature
• Registered Deed is delivered

Work Flow for Registration of Certificate of Occupancy
• Certificate of Occupancy is sent with a covering letter from LUAD to Office of Registrar of Titles
• The file is sent to the C of O room to add a file jacket to the C of O Form
• C of O is sent to the Deputy Registrar of Titles for signature
• C of O is sent to Registrar of Titles for second signature
• The details of registered C of O is entered serially in a day book
• The registered C of O is entered is a dispatch book and sent to LUAD for collection by applicants

http://www.ibejulekkilawyer.com/documents-to-ask-for-when-buying-land-anywhere-in-nigeria/

69 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by overdrive(m): 5:04pm On Nov 26, 2016
Educative.

2 Likes

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by babyvoice1990(m): 5:15pm On Nov 26, 2016
overdrive:
Educative.

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by PqsMike: 7:14am On Nov 27, 2016
Really
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 27, 2016
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Mrskenke: 7:15am On Nov 27, 2016
Good
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Antell95(m): 7:15am On Nov 27, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by SWORD419(m): 7:15am On Nov 27, 2016
we leaving in face me i slap nko??
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Princelegacylemoha(m): 7:15am On Nov 27, 2016
That's Right
When Buying from Rural Area
Try as much as possible to acquire Community Development Fee Reciept to Avoid touts.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by midolian(m): 7:16am On Nov 27, 2016
Nice one OP...Just in time
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Theyveedo(m): 7:16am On Nov 27, 2016
Informative
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 27, 2016
Ive bookmarked this page.

This is by far one of the best threads of 2016.

Thanks Op.

Kudos to the mods for sending a useful thread to the FP.

7 Likes

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by jamesbanjo(m): 7:16am On Nov 27, 2016
Thanks Man...
And for those of yu that they only gave Reciept.. . grin cheesy cheesy grin

D lamd is yurs for just 2 year o... Start preparin to renew yur payment

2 Likes

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:16am On Nov 27, 2016
Insightful. OP thanks for sharing
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 27, 2016
Thanks OP, but a thread was created some time ago on the difference between power of attorney and deed of assignment, so in my personal opinion, I think the power of attorney is not necessary as the most important one is deed of assignment, #justsaying before una attack me o

1 Like

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by prettybetty25(f): 7:18am On Nov 27, 2016
Thanks a bunch
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by David4best(m): 7:19am On Nov 27, 2016
Good to take note of this article, so that someone will not fall victim of fraudulent act
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by adejaresalami1(m): 7:19am On Nov 27, 2016
All this because I want to buy land....come to here in my village, just 50k sellers will come begging grin grin
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Singapore1(m): 7:19am On Nov 27, 2016
following
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by kings09(m): 7:20am On Nov 27, 2016
SWORD419:
we leaving in face me i slap nko??
But u said u r "leaving". So nothing much to it since u r "leaving" thr.

But bros pls go ask ur dictionary d diff btw "leaving" n "living"
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by thoollz: 7:21am On Nov 27, 2016
Wow, this is an eye opener. It's a step towards not getting scammed
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by GreatManBee: 7:21am On Nov 27, 2016
babyvoice1990:

There are a number of crucial documents

1. Receipt

2. Approved survey plan

3. Approved layout

4. Power of Attorney

5. Deed of assignment

6. Certificate of Occupancy ( C of O)

I would categorize the people from which you can buy any parcel of land into three: An estate developer, an individual & directly from the family who claims to own the land. If you are dealing with an estate developer (buying within an estate), you should ask for the approved survey plan, approved layout, the power of attorney and the global C of O. If you are buying from an individual or company (one who has bought and wishes to resell), you should ask for the receipt, deed of assignment, approved survey plan and C of O.

Buying directly from the family who claims to own the land is quite tricky. This is because it is difficult to determine the true owners of the land especially when the documents showing ownership haven’t been processed.

Where the documents haven’t been processed, there are no documents to show authenticity and a prospective buyer has to really a great deal on word of mouth from the members of the community to ascertain the true owner(s) of the land in question.

When the documents have been processed, they should provide you with the approved survey plan, approved layout (where the land is a large one and is being sold on a per plot basis) and the C of O.

From my experience, families usually don’t go to the length of processing their C of O. Reason being that they hope to sell off their land in the near future thus only do the absolute minimum required to show authenticity, in this case the approved survey plan and layout, then passing it on to the buyer who would go on to perfect his/her title on the land.

NOTE: It is very important that you have a good property lawyer before embarking on land/property purchase. Reason being that your lawyer is the one who ensures that you don’t run into legal trouble with land/property documents after purchase. It’s your lawyer’s job to verify the authenticity of any title document backing the land/property.

PROPERTY SEARCH
Under the Lagos State Land Bureau:

Conducting a Search:
• Application submitted with affidavit of purpose (searches are conducted using the following criteria: – Name of Owner, Registration Particulars, Address of Property and Survey Plan.
• Letter of Authority (where applicable)
• Endorsement
• Bill for payment of Search Fees
• Tender Tellers
• Conduct Search

Work Flow for Registration of Title:
• Confirmation of all payment receipt (by Accounts Department)
• Collection of Form A13 from the Office of Registrar of Titles by Applicant – 1 day
• Duly completed Form A13 with supporting documents are submitted by Applicant to the Office of the Registrar of Titles
• A registration number & application number are issued to a certified application – 1 day
• Notice are prepared for interested parties signatures
• Reply to Notice is received and Draft Entries prepared
• An approved Notice is e-mailed /posted by registered post to applicant
• Prepared Notice are forwarded to Registrar of Titles for approval of issuance of Notice to Applicant
• Approval of Draft Entries
• Typing & Binding of Title
• Final Indexing of Title
• File is sent via the Deputy Registrar of Titles to ROT for signature
• Registered Title delivered to applicant

Work Flow for Registration of Deeds
• Submission of Application with relevant documents for registration of Deed by Applicants
• Application with accompanying documents are checked and endorsed
• Satisfied application/document are issued with registration number
• Application sent for indexing
• Applicant file is send to Deputy Registrar of Titles for signature
• File is sent to Registrar of Titles for second signature
• Registered Deed is delivered

Work Flow for Registration of Certificate of Occupancy
• Certificate of Occupancy is sent with a covering letter from LUAD to Office of Registrar of Titles
• The file is sent to the C of O room to add a file jacket to the C of O Form
• C of O is sent to the Deputy Registrar of Titles for signature
• C of O is sent to Registrar of Titles for second signature
• The details of registered C of O is entered serially in a day book
• The registered C of O is entered is a dispatch book and sent to LUAD for collection by applicants

http://www.ibejulekkilawyer.com/documents-to-ask-for-when-buying-land-anywhere-in-nigeria/
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Pavore9: 7:21am On Nov 27, 2016
States should have an online database of land ownership. So the first thing an intending buyer will do is access the online portal (after paying a fee) use the info given by the intending seller to check out the history of the land to see if it matches with the details the seller provided. Just like it is done in Kenya for cars, you only need to pay $5, input the plate number of the car you want to buy and the history of the car right from the time it was cleared from the sea port and if it has had subsequent owners, everything will show. So it reduces the incidence of selling stolen cars.

13 Likes

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by thoollz: 7:23am On Nov 27, 2016
Targaeryian:
Ive bookmarked this page.

This is by far one of the best threads of 2016.

Thanks Op.

Kudos to the mods for sending a useful thread to the FP.
I concur

1 Like

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by SWORD419(m): 7:25am On Nov 27, 2016
kings09:
But u said u r "leaving". So nothing much to it since u r "leaving" thr.

But bros pls go ask ur dictionary d diff btw "leaving" n "living"
nonsense dont they make mistakes in ur village??

2 Likes

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Young03(m): 7:26am On Nov 27, 2016
this people they sing headache for church
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 7:27am On Nov 27, 2016
Thanks for this info,very useful
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by ademasta(m): 7:30am On Nov 27, 2016
Land documents
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by kelvine(m): 7:31am On Nov 27, 2016
Please I really need help here, I plan to buy a land from a particular real Estate company that builds for people.
They told me I will only see the land after I finish paying the whole fee.
They also said I will be getting the survay plan when I am ready to build using their company construction workers.
The Estate company appears to be a reputable one going by the number of offices they have home and abroad, please do you think it is alright to invest in them ?
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Dsrooftiles: 7:31am On Nov 27, 2016
Na Only receipt the guy give me oooo.. Chaiiii won ti gbaa mi oooo
Although I was told to get d survey plan... But the money even pass the amount of the land...

Mi ooo fe waa LA jare.. I will resell the land ni..
If you need land around ibeju good for poultry contact me..
A Plot of land ni ooo let talk price..

Checkout the current price of Roofing tile @: https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Onyenna(m): 7:35am On Nov 27, 2016
Thanks
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by kings09(m): 7:39am On Nov 27, 2016
No sir. Not dis kind of mistakes
SWORD419:
nonsense dont they make mistakes in ur village??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

American Lady Threatens To Stab Nigerian Housemate Over The Use Of Toilet / New Tactics Lagos’ Landlords Adopt To Get House Rent From Tenants / House Burning In Ibadan, Little Child Cooks Noodles While Mum Watches Nollywood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.