Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,920 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This (5000 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 9:17pm On Nov 27, 2016
Glossolalia, a phenomenon sometimes referred to as “ecstatic utterances,” is the uttering of unintelligible, language-like sounds while in a state of ecstasy. Glossolalia is sometimes confused with xenoglossia, which is the biblical “gift of tongues.” However, whereas glossolalia is babbling in a nonexistent language, xenoglossia is the ability to speak fluently a language the speaker has never learned.

Additionally, whereas xenoglossia is not an innate or natural ability, studies have shown that glossolalia is a learned behavior. Research conducted by the Lutheran Medical Center demonstrates that glossolalia is readily learned by following simple instructions. Correspondingly, it was found that students could exhibit “speaking in tongues” in the absence of any indications of trance-like stupor or behaviors. Another test conducted with sixty students showed that after listening to a one-minute sample of glossolalia, 20 percent were able to imitate it precisely. After some training, 70 percent succeeded.

In just about every part of the world, glossolalia can be observed. Pagan religions all over the world are obsessed with tongues. These include the Shamans in the Sudan, the Shango cult of the West Coast of Africa, the Zor cult of Ethiopia, the Voodoo cult in Haiti, and the Aborigines of South America and Australia. Murmuring or speaking gibberish that is construed to be deep mystical insight by holy men is an ancient practice.

There are basically two aspects to glossolalia. First is talking or murmuring in language-like sounds. Practically everyone is able to do this; even children before they ever learn to speak can mimic real language, though unintelligibly. There is nothing extraordinary about this. The other aspect of glossolalia is ecstasy or the demonstration of trance-like elation. There is nothing unusual about this either, although it is more difficult to do intentionally than to merely utter language-like sounds.

There are some Christians, especially within the Pentecostal movement, who believe there is a supernatural explanation for glossolalia similar to that described in the New Testament. They believe that the chief purpose of the gift of speaking in tongues is to manifest the Holy Spirit being poured out upon them just as on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2), which was prophesied by Joel (Acts 2:17).

Among those Christian churches who do espouse the practice of glossolalia to one degree or another, there is no uniform agreement as to its workings. For example, some are adamant that it is indeed a gift of the Holy Spirit, while others minimize its importance, saying Paul taught that the gift of “speaking in tongues” wasn’t nearly as important as the other gifts of the Holy Spirit (see 1 Corinthians 13). Also, there are those wishing to avoid dividing the church on such issues by not speaking of it at all or dismissing it as a simple psychological experience. Then there are those who regard glossolalia as a deception of Satan himself.

Exotic languages are heard and understood throughout the world, but existing languages are not heard or understood when spoken as “ecstatic utterances” or “tongues.” What we do hear is a profusion of hype, claims, confusion, and noise. We simply cannot declare, as at the time of the first church, that “each of us hears [understands] them in his own native language” (Acts 2:8 NIV).

Simply put, the practice of glossolalia is not the biblical gift of tongues. Paul made it clear that the chief purpose of the gift of speaking in tongues was to be a sign for those who did not believe and to spread the good news, the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 14:19, 22).

https://gotquestions.org/glossolalia.html

cc : lalasticlala , mynd44 , seun
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by herzernIsHere: 9:20pm On Nov 27, 2016

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Tiffbuxas: 9:23pm On Nov 27, 2016
I love this man..... u are right in all aspect buh people will still come for you.... buh you are absolutely correct I couldn't agree better.... thanks for showing them the light

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 9:32pm On Nov 27, 2016
Jucol:
Hello,
Can someone explain Acts 2: 4- 12?
There is something about that scripture that raises a VERY Serious question.
Thanks.

Hey bro , this should help

Muafrika2 , please tell me what you think
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 27, 2016
Research from the Lutheran Medical Center......
*shakes head*.
For real grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 27, 2016
Research from the Lutheran Medical Center......
*shakes head*.
For real grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 9:44pm On Nov 27, 2016
SirWere:

*shakes head*.

For real grin

Yeah . I have heard that a lot of times .

Some pastors do learn how to "speak in tongues"
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by jonbellion(m): 9:45pm On Nov 27, 2016
SirWere:

*shakes head*.

For real grin
it was from gotquestions.org
You know
The fundamental christian website undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 9:48pm On Nov 27, 2016
jonbellion:
it was from gotquestions.org
You know
The fundamental christian website undecided

And how does this affect the post ? undecided .

Before will you see it in a Buddhist website undecided undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 9:58pm On Nov 27, 2016
ChemicalReaction , you've been viewing this thread for a while , what's your opinion ?
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MuttleyLaff: 10:03pm On Nov 27, 2016
Jucol:
Hello,
Can someone explain Acts 2: 4- 12?
There is something about that scripture that raises a VERY Serious question.
Thanks.

KingEbukaNaija:
Hey bro , this should help

Muafrika2 , please tell me what you think
Remember harping about this especially based on unsound doctrine mistaken belief,
and submitting some indirect posts trying to get heads round ill-informed opinions formed about the ''speaking in tongues'' exercise today commonly practised in most believers' gathering
but met the headstrong and fierce resistance from the likes of holahmihdeh, JMG1 and GoodMuyis

Well, here is the deal, in Acts 2: 4- 12 narrative and the revelance of ''speaking in tongues'' in it...
It is in successfully answering all the below following questions,
as it makes the work, more or less done half done because an obvious truth will be getting undressed
and Jucol's
''something about that scripture that raises a VERY Serious question'' revealed

1) Do you accept that ''speaking in tongues'' or ''speak with other tongues'' as in the Bible IS NOT THE SAME AS what is widespread and generally accepted today to be?
2) Do you know why it was necessary that speaking with other tongues should occur when it occurred the X amount times in the Bible?
3) Do you know what was the primary objective, reason or goal for the X amount of time(s) that speaking with other tongues occurred in the Bible?
4) Do you know when speaking with other tongues occurred in the Bible, who it was aimed at or who it was meant for?
5a) Do you know, who or how many, on the day of Pentecost, spoke with other tongues? (i.e. give the number if not names or identities)
5b)What to your undestanding does ''speak with other tongues'' means?
5c) Do you know the number of tongues that were recorded spoken on the day of Pentecost? If YES, list them
6) Whatever nation they're in or wherever they might be, state what is expected of every adult male Israelite before the arrival of Pentecost?
These 6 will suffice for now, overload, need to be wary of information/question overload
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

meh; when I ask most Christians their reason for speaking in tongues; they reply it's so that Satan will not hear what they're saying.

Dafuq undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 10:11pm On Nov 27, 2016
SirWere:
meh; when I ask most Christians their reason for speaking in tongues; they reply it's so that Satan will not hear what they're saying.

Dafuq undecided

Because most Christians said that does not make it true . Now you have known the truth , spread the word !
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by ChemicalReaction(f): 10:13pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Yhh... 100% true. I attended Christ embassy once and almost everyone was speaking in tongues even my friend that i know to be a chronic sinner. Twas later i got to know that they learn it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 10:17pm On Nov 27, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
Yhh... 100% true. I attended Christ embassy once and almost everyone was speaking in tongues even my friend that i know to be a chronic sinner. Twas later i got to know that they learn it.

So sad ! Speaking in tongues is an extraordinary gift smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Because most Christians said that does not make it true . Now you have known the truth , spread the word !
You're kidding right grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 27, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
That you're a chronic sinner doesn't mean you can't speak in tongues.....

In Paul's letter to the Corinthians; he rebuked them of their various misdeeds and infractions; one was even banging his father's wife!

And yet he thanked God they could all speak in tongues......

Ergo;

Chronic sinners CAN speak in the "spirit"

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 10:30pm On Nov 27, 2016
SirWere:
That you're a chronic sinner doesn't mean you can't speak in tongues.....

In Paul's letter to the Corinthians; he rebuked them of their various misdeeds and infractions; one was even banging his father's wife!

And yet he thanked God they could all speak in tongues......

Ergo;

Chronic sinners CAN speak in the "spirit"

State the bible verse let's scrutinize it
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 10:49pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

State the bible verse let's scrutinize it
later abeg. That mirror case dey sweet me grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MrMontella(m): 11:18pm On Nov 27, 2016
SirWere:

Dafuq undecided
but they will deliver and command demons out with that same language...
Lol grin grin confused beings!
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 11:21pm On Nov 27, 2016
MrMontella:

but they will deliver and command demons out with that same language...
Lol grin grin confused beings!

You either appeal to ridicule or appeal to stone . "MrMontella" and "fallacies" are cognates
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MrMontella(m): 11:24pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

You either appeal to ridicule or appeal to stone . "MrMontella" and "fallacies" are cognates
sorry..excuse me?
I didnt come to the thread to engage the Op..
And what i said...stands
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 11:25pm On Nov 27, 2016
MrMontella:

sorry..excuse me?
I didnt come to the thread to engage the Op..

It was not meant for you anyway

And what i said...stands

Because you are ... ?
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MrMontella(m): 11:28pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

It was not meant for you anyway
hmmm

Because you are ... ?
I am Obama cheesy ... Now salute !grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 11:31pm On Nov 27, 2016
MrMontella:

hmmm

I am Obama cheesy ...
Now salute !grin

Tarrr !! Mechie onu tongue tongue
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by GoodMuyis(m): 11:32pm On Nov 27, 2016
Why do I have to read
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 11:33pm On Nov 27, 2016
GoodMuyis:
Why do I have to read

In case you've got the wrong ideas
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by CAPSLOCKED: 11:42pm On Nov 27, 2016
hahn:

We should all get together this holiday season though smiley

HONESTLY, BROTHER. cheesy
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Heavenly102: 11:43pm On Nov 27, 2016
Problem is no one speaks xenoglossy. The one you say is correct

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 11:45pm On Nov 27, 2016
Heavenly102:
Problem is no one speaks xenoglossy. The one you say is correct

That's the thing !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dealing With The Barrier Stopping You From Possessing Your Possessions. / Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. / The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.