Stats: 3,148,674 members, 7,801,946 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:37 AM

Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) (6223 Views)

Atheists, Have You Asked God To Prove Himself, And He Didn't Answer? / SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals / Atheists "Have Higher Iqs" (2) (2) (3) (4)

Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by akintom(m): 7:02am On Nov 28, 2016
Atheists 'have higher IQs': Their intelligence 'makes them more likely to dismiss religion as irrational and unscientific'

*Research found those with higher IQs more likely to dismiss religion

*Another drawback to being religious, or at least Christian is losing out on top jobs

By Daniel Bates

Atheists tend to be more intelligent than religious people, according to a US study.

Researchers found that those with high IQs had greater self-control and were able to do more for themselves - so did not need the benefits that religion provides.

They also have better self esteem and built more supportive relationships, the study authors said.

New evidence: A study has concluded that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers

The conclusions were the result of a review of 63 scientific studies about religion and intelligence dating between 1928 and last year.

In 53 of these there was a ‘reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity’. In just 10 was that relationship positive.

Even among children, the more intelligent a child was the more probable it was that they would shun the church.
In old age the same trend persisted as well, the research showed.

The University of Rochester psychologists behind the study defined religion as involvement in some or all parts of a belief.
They defined intelligence as the ‘ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience’.

In their conclusions, they said: ‘Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme - the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who ‘know better’.

‘Intelligent people typically spend more time in school - a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits.

‘More intelligent people getting higher level jobs and better employment and higher salary may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs.’

Study co-author Jordan Silberman, a graduate student of neuroeconomics at the University of Rochester, said: ‘Intelligence may lead to greater self-control ability, self-esteem, perceived control over life events, and supportive relationships, obviating some of the benefits that religion sometimes provides.’

The research analysed 63 surveys comparing intelligence levels and religious beliefs between 1928 and 2012
Research from the UK last week showed another drawback to being religious, or at least Christian - you lose out in the race for top jobs.

Official figures show nearly one in four people who have no religious belief now live in homes headed by someone with a senior executive job or a place in one of the professions.

But well under a fifth of Christians are employed in the best-paid and most influential jobs or are married to someone who is, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The last census, carried out in March 2011, showed a fall in the number of people that call themselves Christian in the UK.
Christian numbers in England and Wales, including children, fell by 4.1 million in a decade to 33.2 million.

However there was a 45 per cent rise over the same 10 years in numbers who say they have no religion, to 14.1 million.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395972/Atheists-higher-IQs-Their-intelligence-makes-likely-dismiss-religion-irrational-unscientific.html#ixzz4RHRkYAtK 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by shyling(f): 7:06am On Nov 28, 2016
talk of idleness..no be only IQ Na lq

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by akintom(m): 7:10am On Nov 28, 2016
shyling:

Now you're confirming the study.

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by felixomor: 7:11am On Nov 28, 2016
shyling:

As in eh.

The idleness is real. wink

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by akintom(m): 7:13am On Nov 28, 2016
felixomor:

As in eh.
The idleness is real. wink
Second confirmation, in less than 10 minutes.

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by felixomor: 7:18am On Nov 28, 2016
akintom:

Second confirmation, in less than 10 minutes.

Of course, your loneliness is confirmed.

Who doesnt know that?

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Pylony(m): 7:48am On Nov 28, 2016
Who even believe this? Mtcheew
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by promise10: 7:54am On Nov 28, 2016
akintom:

I don't know why you guys derive fun in being a certified bunch of dumb lairs.
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by SIRmuel86(m): 7:55am On Nov 28, 2016
I will never become an atheist even if scientists get all the proof in the world that there is no God. I just see this kinda things as temptations.
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by SIRmuel86(m): 7:55am On Nov 28, 2016
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by SIRmuel86(m): 7:56am On Nov 28, 2016
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by promise10: 7:56am On Nov 28, 2016
Pylony:
Who even believe this? Mtcheew
who wants to believe another hardmirrored lie?
abeg I take my leave.
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 28, 2016
^^^^ Concrete prove that the test is conclusive grin
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Hedybee(f): 8:03am On Nov 28, 2016

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by IamSantafe(m): 8:07am On Nov 28, 2016
Ignore all atheist threads..

iGNORE
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Wilgrea7(m): 8:11am On Nov 28, 2016
Some atheists maintain their non-belief comes through superior intelligence. In particular, many online atheists like to quote, “A fool says in his heart there is a God.” He reads only those sources which confirm and conform to his view and eschews those which do not. And he isn’t shy about telling you how dumb it is not to believe as he does.
But consider: nearly all the greatest, best, highest, most beautiful minds that ever existed were theists. Aristotle? Augustine? Confucius? Aquinas? Bonaventure? Copernicus? Bruno? Kepler? Galileo? Pascal? Descartes? Newton? Bach? Mendel? The list is endless. Most people were and still are theists of one sort or another. It is only in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries where atheism picked up steam.
If one is to study the association between intelligence and religious belief it is clear that one must account for history

also check this link

http://www.randalolson.com/2014/08/24/the-myth-of-the-smarter-atheist/

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 28, 2016
Hedybee:
Please l have a question.
Are there Muslims who turned atheists? Because I always get to hear of Christians.

I am yes although I'm at the agnostic stage at the moment. I do not believe in organised religion. Born from a practicing Muslim family. Well versed in Islam. It's been 5 yrs in the making but for me the turning point was that my perfect religion never condemned slavery. The fact that the prophet released salves and went as far as buy slaves to release them didn't put my questions as WHY to rest. But the verses in the Quran (Many verses) where Allah permits the keeping of Slaves pushed me over the edge.
E.g:

Quran 24:32:[26] "And marry the unmarried among you and the righteous among your male slaves and female slaves. If they should be poor, Allah will enrich them from His bounty, and Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing" Quran 24:33:[26

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 28, 2016
Wilgrea7:
Some atheists maintain their non-belief comes through superior intelligence. In particular, many online atheists like to quote, “A fool says in his heart there is a God.” He reads only those sources which confirm and conform to his view and eschews those which do not. And he isn’t shy about telling you how dumb it is not to believe as he does.
But consider: nearly all the greatest, best, highest, most beautiful minds that ever existed were theists. Aristotle? Augustine? Confucius? Aquinas? Bonaventure? Copernicus? Bruno? Kepler? Galileo? Pascal? Descartes? Newton? Bach? Mendel? The list is endless. Most people were and still are theists of one sort or another. It is only in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries where atheism picked up steam.
If one is to study the association between intelligence and religious belief it is clear that one must account for history

also check this link

http://www.randalolson.com/2014/08/24/the-myth-of-the-smarter-atheist/

Please any theist beyond the 18th century shouldn't even be considered as he had no choice, public atheism was death or political/social castration.
They had no choice

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 28, 2016
JuicyLucy:

I am yes although I'm at the agnostic stage at the moment. I do not believe in organised religion. Born from a practicing Muslim family. Well versed in Islam. It's been 5 yrs in the making but for me the turning point was that my perfect religion never condemned slavery. The fact that the prophet released salves and went as far as buy slaves to release them didn't put my questions as WHY to rest. But the verses in the Quran (Many verses) where Allah permits the keeping of Slaves pushed me over the edge.
E.g:

Quran 24:32:[26] "And marry the unmarried among you and the righteous among your male slaves and female slaves. If they should be poor, Allah will enrich them from His bounty, and Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing" Quran 24:33:[26
Neither did Jesus. Abrahamic religions and slavery are one and two.
Their Gods aren't any more real than Zeus or Odin.
I was agnostic till I read a blog that really pushed my beliefs. Before then I just didn't care to question.

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:26am On Nov 28, 2016
It's even observable today akintom.
You will hardly find an illiterate atheist.
And the higher the illiteracy/poor social conditions the higher the prevalence of religion

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by kevoh(m): 8:31am On Nov 28, 2016
Dunno anything about who has higher IQ than the other but the rants on this thread are just funny. grin
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 28, 2016
Lennycool:

Neither did Jesus. Abrahamic religions and slaver are one and two.
I was agnostic till I read a blog that really pushed my beliefs. Before then I just didn't care to question.

When the similarities of Hercules and Jesus were bought to my attention shocked

One could knock me over with a feather. So Zeus is the God that had a child with a human being what was her name?! I forget now. Come on is that a coincidence or what grin

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 28, 2016
Lennycool:

Neither did Jesus. Abrahamic religions and slavery are one and two.

The biggest insult with salt for my wounds is that these slaves were my ancestors cry cry cry
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 28, 2016
JuicyLucy:

The biggest insult with salt for my wounds is that these slaves were my ancestors cry cry cry
Mine too. The christian south of America justified there actions with the Bible, and convince slaves to be more complacent by teaching them about an after life. If a man thinks he has another life he will be less likely to care for this one.

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 28, 2016
JuicyLucy:

When the similarities of Hercules and Jesus were bought to my attention shocked

One could knock me over with a feather. So Zeus is the God that had a child with a human being what was her name?! I forget now. Come on is that a coincidence or what grin
More than that. The very fact that christians go to church in Sunday rather than Saturday is because of a the roman sun God the Romans worshipped.
Even the birthday of Christ, the three wise men, healing the sick, resurrection, persecution and son of God were copied from older religions. The mass census that drew Mary to Bethlehem never even happened and king herod died before Jesus was even born. Those facts were just added so as to fulfill prophecies and make pagan citizens accept Christianity, by making it similar with their own. The more you know about religion the more flaws you find.

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 28, 2016
Lennycool:

More than that. The very fact that christians go to church in Sunday rather than Saturday is because of a the roman sun God the Romans worshipped.
Even the birthday of Christ, the three wise men, healing the sick, resurrection, persecution and son of God were copied from older religions. The mass census that drew Mary to Bethlehem never even happened and king herod died before Jesus was even born. Those facts were just added so as to fulfill prophecies and make pagan citizens accept Christianity, by making it similar with their own. The more you know about religion the more flaws you find.

Of course religion is political after all. And the Christmas tree is also a pagan tradition which was added to make the new followers more at home. Wow. And then these people on this thread have the nerve to question our intellect undecided grin

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by MrMontella(m): 8:54am On Nov 28, 2016
promise10:
I concur.
why do you want to derail this thread?
Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by MrMontella(m): 8:56am On Nov 28, 2016
Lennycool:

More than that.The very fact that christians go to church in Sunday rather than Saturday is because of a the roman sun God the Romans worshipped.
Even the birthday of Christ, the three wise men, healing the sick, resurrection, persecution and son of God were copied from older religions. The mass census that drew Mary to Bethlehem never even happened and king herod died before Jesus was even born. Those facts were just added so as to fulfill prophecies and make pagan citizens accept Christianity, by making it similar with their own. The more you know about religion the more flaws you find
i have the edict..where constantine officially changed worship days from saturdays to the day of the sun..

These days,i just study early christianity for the fun!

Re: Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) by hopefulLandlord: 8:57am On Nov 28, 2016
akintom:

good one!

Nigerian Pastor Engages Evil Spirit In A Bizarre Deliverance Session (photos) / I Find Church Services Boring / Screenshots -Pastor Anita Oyakhilome Now Anita Ebhodaghe!!!

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64