Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih (22766 Views)

GB Onoh: "Buhari Jailed My Father But I Support Him For 2019" / Tony Anenih's Daughter Owns The Apartment Raided By EFCC - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Islie: 9:25am On Nov 28, 2016

Eniola Akinkuotu, Abuja

A former Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party’s Board of Trustees, Chief Tony Anenih, says the military administration of President Muhammadu Buhari kept him in jail for 18 months between March 1984 and August 1985 because he was a rich man.

Anenih said this in his biography titled, ‘My Life and Nigerian Politics’ which was launched in Abuja on Saturday.

He said when Buhari came into power through a military coup in December 1983, he went about arresting politicians arbitrarily and he was one of those picked up because he was the Chairman of the defunct National Party of Nigeria in old Bendel State.

Anenih said, “The military regime of General Buhari and Tunde Idiagbon threw me into detention for 18 months on the basis of an anonymous petition that as a prominent and wealthy politician and leader of the NPN in Bendel State, the military administrator would not find his footing unless I was removed from the scene.

“I was sent to Kirikiri Prisons where I spent three months before I was transferred to Ikoyi Prisons.”

The retired police officer maintained that he did nothing wrong to warrant such treatment.

He said, “I must emphasise it again and again that I did nothing wrong to anyone, the government or the state to merit a detention. My crime was that I was a wealthy, influential and highly respected politician.”

Anenih, who later served as the minister of works and housing under former President Olusegun Obasanjo from 1999 to 2002, said while in detention, he met other prominent politicians like former Governor Lateef Jakande of Lagos State, former Governor Olabisi Onabanjo of Ogun State; ex-Governor Bola Ige of old Oyo State; former Vice-President Alex Ekwueme, ex-Governor Ambrose Alli of old Bendel State, Chief Solomon Lar and many others.

The ex-minister said their cells were bugged by security agents who monitored their conversation.

The PDP chieftain said the worst part of the detention was that some governors who had sentenced some criminals to death were locked up in the same cells.

Anenih said, “We were transferred to Ikoyi Prisons because of the riot that took place while we were there. The condemned prisoners whose death warrants had earlier been signed by Alhaji Lateef Jakande when he was governor of Lagos State, broke loose on sighting him as one of the detainees.

“They broke out of their cells and headed towards the building where Jakande and the rest of us detainees were kept. As the prisoners were attempting to force the iron door open, mobile police were called in to quell the riot.”

The ex-minister, who gave an insight into the living condition of the politicians in detention, described the experience as hellish.

He added, “Where we were staying, the bucket latrines or toilets had opening to the rooms. These buckets were emptied maybe once a week from behind, and if for any reason the buckets were not emptied once a week as the rule, you lived with the stench.

“At night, cockroaches, rats and lizards passed through these holes housing the bucket latrines into our cells after crawling on the buckets to disturb us. So, you could really not sleep for one hour without getting cockroaches perch on you.”

http://punchng.com/buhari-jailed-18-months-wealthy-anenih/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Promxy94(m): 9:42am On Nov 28, 2016
Man's inhumanity to man

18 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Jostico: 9:44am On Nov 28, 2016
Yet the country Nigeria still in jail under his regime hmmmmmmmmmm. what a world we live in

13 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Nukualofa: 10:01am On Nov 28, 2016
What did you do reform the prison system at last?

Nothing

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by ourema(f): 11:16am On Nov 28, 2016
This is what is obtainable even now. Get rich and you are in the opposition party then EFCC will visit you. This is the method that will be used in 2019. If you are rich and famous in the opposition you better relocate more especially if you are from the Southern part of the nation

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by DONSMITH123(m): 1:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
mtchew
Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by angeltolly(f): 1:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
So Ordinary 18 months......, Buhari cannot play with you again? Is that how you use to do? angry

But on a serious note, OYO is your case now. Or you want people to start the hash tag #IStandWithAnenih again.? People are busy trying to survive this recession angry so only few bothers about that story sir.

20 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by bigerboy200: 1:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
shame....but you all(political class) have been dealing and rolling with yourselves since the inception of Nigeria. Though we sympathize with you on your story,u should have gone further to tell us how you cornered and kept billions for yourself while you occupied public offices, tell us how much you got each year from PDP who raped our country for 16 years non stop.Tell us about the un-executed projects you got using ur influence, Tell us how much the certified thieving Igbinedion gave you every month.....These are what we wanna hear, not some rooster and bull story.. nonsense...

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Nikkyfuck(f): 1:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
Talk true?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Mrsogoduu: 1:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
Hmm
Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by martineverest(m): 1:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
senile old fool....we uromi people of edo state spit on u

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by rickie4us(m): 1:06pm On Nov 28, 2016
really the rich also cry

1 Like

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by hagome: 1:06pm On Nov 28, 2016
and you expect us to believe this

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by AlphaCentauri: 1:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
he should jail you 18 years

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by rusher14: 1:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
What's the line of business you are into?

Do you have a factory or business operation?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Scream(m): 1:08pm On Nov 28, 2016
Anenih should be jailed again (for 18years this time) for being a thief...

Anuofia!

16 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by xclusiveguy4(m): 1:08pm On Nov 28, 2016
and so
Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Generalkorex(m): 1:09pm On Nov 28, 2016
ok
Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by bionixs: 1:09pm On Nov 28, 2016
IF YOU EVER BY THE WAY YOU ARE GOING, YOU MAY NOT LIVE UPTO HALF OF HIS AGE
martineverest:
senile old fool....we uromi people of edo state spit on u

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by ochilikoko(m): 1:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
what goes around must sure come around. I only pity Buhari allies cos they are the ones that will suffer this tyranny tomorrow as Buhari is getting older and may not live live to bear d consequences on his own

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by segebase(m): 1:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by hakeem4(m): 1:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Who would fix the prison

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by frubben(m): 1:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Oga mo hear word abeg. You saw the way the prison u came out and u and does governor did notin about it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Nobody: 1:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
uncool
Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by martineverest(m): 1:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
bionixs:
IF YOU EVER BY THE WAY YOU ARE GOING, YOU MAY NOT LIVE UPTO HALF OF HIS AGE
shut up......anenih is my kinsman....

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 28, 2016
Anenih will soon go to jail if he cannot account for the N300 billion allocated to the ministry of works and housing under him between 1999 and 2003. Bladdy thief

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by wagazala: 1:13pm On Nov 28, 2016
All these old men sef, when dem go commot clear road for younger generation?

These peeps been running Nigerian politics since before I was born and dem still dey there.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by khalids: 1:13pm On Nov 28, 2016
The sad part of all this is, after being in the ruling party for 18yrs and knowing first hand how the prison system was, WHAT DID HE DO TO IMPROVE IT......

Selfish set of people...all they know is themselves.....so he is telling us this story so that we can pity him...when he is no different from the person he is vilifying.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Chiedu4Trump: 1:14pm On Nov 28, 2016
We all know tha Buhari is a tyrant

1 Like

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by LorDBolton(m): 1:14pm On Nov 28, 2016
He added, “Where we were staying, the bucket latrines or toilets had opening to the rooms. These buckets were emptied maybe once a week from behind, and if for any reason the buckets were not emptied once a week as the rule, you lived with the stench.

“At night, cockroaches, rats and lizards passed through these holes housing the bucket latrines into our cells after crawling on the buckets to disturb us. So, you could really not sleep for one hour without getting cockroaches perch on you.”

After this experience...what has he / obasanjo/ jakande et al done about prison life in naija?

Idiots

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Jailed Me 18 Months For Being Wealthy —anenih by Sasuwa(f): 1:16pm On Nov 28, 2016
an old ekpa

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ben Bruce Gisting And Laughing With Atiku At Silverbird Man Of The Year Award / Kenneth Okonkwo: Why I Am Running For Enugu Governorship Election In 2019 / NIN: FG Suspends Workers Over Extortion At NIMC Centres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.