Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

An Open Letter To UNIBEN Medical School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Open Letter To UNIBEN Medical School (2892 Views)

I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents / The Bus Oshiomhole Donated To UNIBEN SUG 3 Years Ago (PHOTOS) / Uniben Medical Students Forcefully Ejected From Their Hostel As Exam Approaches. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To UNIBEN Medical School by RoastedCorn(m): 10:57am On Nov 28, 2016
An open letter to the university of Benin Medical and Dental school

Greetings to the university Vice-chancellor
- Professor F.F.O Orumwense
To the Provost of the college of medical sciences
- Professor Vincent Iyawe
To the Dean of school of Dentistry
- Professor O. Obuekwe,
To the Dean of school of medicine
-Professor moses . I . momoh
And all protocols duely observed.

Over the years seniors had kept quiet on this issue for fear of the unknown but I guess it is high time someone spoke on this issues

Length

Its no news that UNIBEN medical and dental school is 8 years, yes its 8 years.
Namely
100 level - first year
200 level - 2nd year
300 level(called MB class for students in both departments)-3rd year
New 400 level - ( called oral Biology or OralB class for those in Dentistry)- 4th year
Old 400level -( generally called Pathology and pharmacology class or path/pharm class for both departments) - 5th year
500 level - (called medicine and surgery class or med/surg class for those In dentistry and O and G class for those in medicine)- 6th year
New 600level - 7th year
Old 600level - 8th year,

This is very very bad,in unilorin for example and even some state schools whose reputation isn't up to half of Uniben's , they spend 1 year in 400level, I really do not see the need why UNIBEN would spend 2 years in 400level, when I'm in 300level,I'll graduate same time with an 100level student in UNICAL. And at the end we both get same certificate regardless of the rigours we individually went through in medical school.
Please sirs, we'll like if you'd rectify this quickly because during your days, you spent 6years, the 8 years we spend is just a waste of 2 years of our lives.

Difficulty

With deep sincerity, UNIBEN medical and dental school is one of the hardest in Nigeria, Especially the dental school ,this year only 66 medical students and 8 dental students were inducted out of 25 initially admitted in 100level. Its so alarming and unrealistic, after Spending 8 years ,only 8 out of 30something will now graduate, while in schools like U.I that spend 6 years, 22 graduated out of 35 initially admitted in 100level , does it mean they are smarter than us? Are we that dull?, why is there little failure in other medical schools,even schools with embarrassing teaching hospitals are recording more success than us. A year in UNILAG 13 students got distinction in anatomy but that same year in UNIBEN, only one student got distinction, does it mean UNILAG students are smarter than us?, please we need to reduce these things,why make it hard for no reason. Before Pius got distinction in pathology in 2013, the last time someone got was in the 90's ,so over 2 decades nobody is brilliant enough to have distinction in it?. . this is very bad and its not telling well on UNIBEN college of medical sciences and UNIBEN at large, a school that controls so much respect as UNIBEN shouldn't be lagging in issues such as these.
I guess my pen will stop Dancing now.

Thanks

Your student,
Anonymous.
Re: An Open Letter To UNIBEN Medical School by barnacle: 11:09am On Nov 28, 2016
so true
Re: An Open Letter To UNIBEN Medical School by littlewonders: 11:13am On Nov 28, 2016
There's always rules in any institution; you saw their rules and applied.

Only if they will listen to your plight

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To UNIBEN Medical School by Drdonzeez(m): 1:26pm On Nov 28, 2016
RoastedCorn:
An open letter to the university of Benin Medical and Dental school

Greetings to the university Vice-chancellor
- Professor F.F.O Orumwense
To the Provost of the college of medical sciences
- Professor Vincent Iyawe
To the Dean of school of Dentistry
- Professor O. Obuekwe,
To the Dean of school of medicine
-Professor moses . I . momoh
And all protocols duely observed.

Over the years seniors had kept quiet on this issue for fear of the unknown but I guess it is high time someone spoke on this issues

Length

Its no news that UNIBEN medical and dental school is 8 years, yes its 8 years.
Namely
100 level - first year
200 level - 2nd year
300 level(called MB class for students in both departments)-3rd year
New 400 level - ( called oral Biology or OralB class for those in Dentistry)- 4th year
Old 400level -( generally called Pathology and pharmacology class or path/pharm class for both departments) - 5th year
500 level - (called medicine and surgery class or med/surg class for those In dentistry and O and G class for those in medicine)- 6th year
New 600level - 7th year
Old 600level - 8th year,

This is very very bad,in unilorin for example and even some state schools whose reputation isn't up to half of Uniben's , they spend 1 year in 400level, I really do not see the need why UNIBEN would spend 2 years in 400level, when I'm in 300level,I'll graduate same time with an 100level student in UNICAL. And at the end we both get same certificate regardless of the rigours we individually went through in medical school.
Please sirs, we'll like if you'd rectify this quickly because during your days, you spent 6years, the 8 years we spend is just a waste of 2 years of our lives.

Difficulty

With deep sincerity, UNIBEN medical and dental school is one of the hardest in Nigeria, Especially the dental school ,this year only 66 medical students and 8 dental students were inducted out of 25 initially admitted in 100level. Its so alarming and unrealistic, after Spending 8 years ,only 8 out of 30something will now graduate, while in schools like U.I that spend 6 years, 22 graduated out of 35 initially admitted in 100level , does it mean they are smarter than us? Are we that dull?, why is there little failure in other medical schools,even schools with embarrassing teaching hospitals are recording more success than us. A year in UNILAG 13 students got distinction in anatomy but that same year in UNIBEN, only one student got distinction, does it mean UNILAG students are smarter than us?, please we need to reduce these things,why make it hard for no reason. Before Pius got distinction in pathology in 2013, the last time someone got was in the 90's ,so over 2 decades nobody is brilliant enough to have distinction in it?. . this is very bad and its not telling well on UNIBEN college of medical sciences and UNIBEN at large, a school that controls so much respect as UNIBEN shouldn't be lagging in issues such as these.
I guess my pen will stop Dancing now.

Thanks

Your student,
Anonymous.
Why shouldn't it be so since uniben admits more than its alloted quote as a result of their fraudulent practises. cc:Lalasticlala,fynestboi.
Re: An Open Letter To UNIBEN Medical School by RoastedCorn(m): 4:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
littlewonders:
There's always rules in any institution; you saw their rules and applied.

Only if they will listen to your plight
Its obvious you know little about medical schools in Nigeria . . its written 6 years, your certificate is even 6 years even though you're graduating 2 years later
Re: An Open Letter To UNIBEN Medical School by Abcruz(m): 4:08pm On Nov 28, 2016
It is well!!!

(1) (Reply)

Nurse Sues Partner For Refusing To Marry Her After 8 Years Of Waiting / Law School Admission List Is Out! / Release Neco Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.