Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank (8983 Views)

El-rufai Orders Banks To Close Govt. Accounts, Remit Balance To CBN / FG Targets $10bn From National Flag Carrier / A Picture Of Ibori In 2009 After Asaba Court Ruled In His Favour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by KunleOshob(m): 4:51pm On Nov 13, 2009
Pennywise:

You will be left with Lagos and Enugu. If you push 7 billion dollars in these two places, believe me you will know.

[size=24pt]WORD!!!!!![/size]
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by KunleOshob(m): 4:56pm On Nov 13, 2009
Beaf:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Another big up to our folk in the diaspora, sending home a cool [size=14pt]61%[/size] of the proposed N2.46 Trillion budget for 2010 is no joke!
Total federally collected revenue is actually in excess of N6 Trillion, although this revenue is shared btw federal, state and local goverments. The rest goes into our foreign reserves. So stop making a shallow comparision of just federal Goverment's share of it. The diaspora impact is actually very insignificant in the bigger economic picture. Nigerians actually remit more money abroad than comes into this country.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by otokx(m): 5:07pm On Nov 13, 2009
It appears most of the recipients of that cash used it in buying MTN recharge cards and china phones which means Nigeria as a country gained nothing.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Afam(m): 5:13pm On Nov 13, 2009
otokx:

It appears most of the recipients of that cash used it in buying MTN recharge cards and china phones which means Nigeria as a country gained nothing.

Chai! This one na uppercut.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by saworoide: 5:14pm On Nov 13, 2009
Great kudos to the diasporans. It shows that home or abroad, Nigeria still remains their brothers' keeper. If only our politician will stop carryning away our funds abroad, then Nigeria will be a better place to live.

No data, but I think the money Nigerians stash abroad yearly is far more than this inflow.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Beaf: 5:21pm On Nov 13, 2009
KunleOshob:

Total federally collected revenue is actually in excess of N6 Trillion, although this revenue is shared btw federal, state and local goverments. The rest goes into our foreign reserves. So stop making a shallow comparision of just federal Goverment's share of it. The diaspora impact is actually very insignificant in the bigger economic picture. Nigerians actually remit more money abroad than comes into this country.

Even if we cut it your way, is N1.5trillion of N6 Trillion a joke (a cool 25%)? Abi you don't know the meaning of "shallow comparision"?

Guy, you fall your hand large!
Abeg, let us submit hailings were hailings is due jare!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by paddylo1(m): 5:24pm On Nov 13, 2009
Here is one brother making it big in philadephia. We are proud of you. Just stay out of jail while doing what u do.

Thanks bro,i dont even drive my car anymore, i take taxi wherever i want to go,i have no desire to be in contact with any fu*cking american cop,i only give myself 2 more yrs and am out

You will be left with Lagos and Enugu. If you push 7 billion dollars in these two places, believe me you will know.

my man,dont forget edo and portharcourt, even anambra,i have at least 10boys i know from edo state personally doing runz in manchester,and those niggas na edo and lagos dem dey invest their dough
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by MyJoe: 5:34pm On Nov 13, 2009
otokx:

grin

You forgot to add chocolate from England, "designer" shoes from Italy and PMS from wherever. The way we are going, we will soon be importing ice from Iceland!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by jara: 5:41pm On Nov 13, 2009
tosh-acer,

We have to be careful so that this loser of a man does not divide us - we are retirees, pensioners, cleaners, bus drivers, cart pushers and farmers in Nigeria who has never gained anything from Nigerian Government. These are the people Diasporans have to bond with.

tosher is a loser and a loafer looking for visa to go and dump his loot in Swiss bank or human courier of you know what.

In the first place, by your language, you must have been born in the gutter no doubt.

That $10 billion is pure clean money because you will be stupid to send fraudulent money thru Western Union or Money gram as you have to identify yourself but some of you in Nigeria dont know that. FBI will pay you a visit, so your fraud will be exposed.

That Nigeria politicians send much more than that outside. To whom, to their bank account or Diasporans who then send it back home? You wonder if people put on their thinking cap. Is that not the source of our problem? Politicians exchanging hard earned money, black gold for mirrows and toys.

That Chinese, Arabs etc take more out of Nigeria. In colusion with whom? Do these foreigners work as hard for their money as Nigerians do abroad? Whose fault is that if well placed Nigerians at home open their treasury for foreigners?

That some Diasporans live in shacks and do dirty work. If they do it in Nigeria and those who do it in Nigeria, what do they get paid? Can they feed their families with it? Out of their sweat, they send money home so that their relatives do not have to work as hard and if they do, will never get paid, or on time.

Diasporans do not brag about sending money home, they do it as a duty but some ingrates in Nigeria who can never work for money but know how to play 419 telling Diasporan they are building houses for them, they should send more money, they lend it to their brother and mother, they should send more money, they gave it to their father, send more money to marry etc.

They come back and ask -  How much is 100,000 ; how much is $100.00; how much is $10 billion. A pure characteristic of a loser and a loafer who never work for money.

tosh_acer:

what the fu ck? where was i when this useless thread was opened?

You send money to feed your hungry families and then you think you deserve national award for that? Whats going on here? Who is praising who? Drug money and credit card fraud money wire back to Nigeria and y'all think you deserve national award for that? when will this self deception stop? Lets start another topic to say, all diasporians deserve awards because they send money home to feed their hungry families - what the F? dont send it, and wait what becomes of your family, and beside, most of them borrowed money to travel hence they have to pay it back. what the F?

Do these goons know how much an average American business man in Nigeria takes out of Nigeria to America yearly? Do you know how much the Chinese, Indians, South Africans make from Nigeria and send back to their home country daily? We talking billions daily, in the same dead economy, in the ame failed system, in the same rotten egemony that you ran away from, do you know how much? You stay there praising yourselves for sending money to feed your family! What arrant nonsence!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 6:46pm On Nov 13, 2009
MyJoe:

Deserves a big Amen!

Facts:
1. The money sent by Nigerians in diaspora helps support the national economy in no small measure, but more importantly, it rescues many otherwise despondent Nigerians from misery - school fees, house rent, debt settlement, etc.
2. The Nigerians who receive money from relatives abroad are in the minority, so not everyone is primarily affected or would see the need to feel gratitude. But they may be secondarily affected due to spin off effects on the economy.
3. Nigerians living abroad don't pick money on the streets. Like home-based Nigerians most of them toil to earn money and this should be appreciated.
4. Nobody has any right whatsoever to feel superior to or talk down on anybody. Diasporans who have spoken in this forum to the effect that "those at home should not expect us to come back if they don't fix that country" or "is it our fault that you can't get a visa" are getting it wrong. Most common people are concerned primarily about bread and butter issues first. Nobody is going to fix the country for you and nobody is beating the drums for you to come back. What it takes to have a good country or a bad one is elite consensus. You can be based anywhere and think of the best way to effect changes to the country if you are so inclined, or simply do what you can as you are currently doing by sending money to your relatives.
5. If care is not taken, this argument can be diversionary. The enemies of Nigerians are the power brokers and treasury looters who have taken our natural right to choose our leaders while they lock themselves in the common safe, gorging themselves and vomiting all over their shoes. The real heros are those who work hard and this includes danfo drivers, truck pushers, teachers, cleaners, and the diaspora people.

I agree with some of your points here.

The essence of this thread is not to brag but to appreciate the effort of the Diasporas, and to point out that we contribute our quota to the economy of Nigeria which means we have a stake to determine and criticize how the Country is being governed. When we complain about the country, it’s because we feel the pain too. We wish the country is better and we would not be put under much pressure to pump this entire money home to take care of the dying masses of Nigeria.

Also because we have seen a system that works here and we have seen how the government relates to the governed, when we make recommendations or criticize the government it’s not for bragging but out of concern.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 9:21pm On Nov 13, 2009
@tosh_acer,

tosh_acer:

what the fu ck? where was i when this useless thread was opened?
Wiping the ass of the fuktard you worship to get crumbs he/she stole from the national treasury!

You send money to feed your hungry families and then you think you deserve national award for that? Whats going on here? Who is praising who? Drug money and credit card fraud money wire back to Nigeria and y'all think you deserve national award for that? when will this self deception stop?
Your poor understanding of basic economics is due to the relentless ASUU strike caused by those pot-bellied goons in Abuja frustrating university professors by not paying them well, hence rendering you a pathetic illiterate and a complete ignoramus; ignorant of the impact that "poor" consumers, spending cash to buy goods and services, have in any economy. We don't blame you.

Lets start another topic to say, all diasporians deserve awards because they send money home to feed their hungry families - what the F? dont send it, and wait what becomes of your family, and beside, most of them borrowed money to travel hence they have to pay it back. what the F?
Knowing that the ghouls you worship to give you crumbs are genetically-diseased kleptomaniacs who will prefer to see our "hungry families" dead, we will continue to send the money and neither obsequious servants of the damned like you nor your gods you call "oga pata pata" can touch that money! Our "hungry families" will not die, you asshole from hell! angry

Do these goons know how much an average American business man in Nigeria takes out of Nigeria to America yearly? Do you know how much the Chinese, Indians, South Africans make from Nigeria and send back to their home country daily? We talking billions daily, in the same dead economy, in the ame failed system, in the same rotten egemony that you ran away from, do you know how much? You stay there praising yourselves for sending money to feed your family! What arrant nonsence!

Your foolishness is complete! Your ignorance has no bounds! I know your "oga pata patas" deprived you of learning basic economics, but did they also deprive you of the joys of understanding simple arithmetic?

Fool, let me school you! There are 365 days in a year. If those "Chinese, Indians, South Africans" send back $1billion "daily" as you claim, it means they'll be sending $365 billion annually out of the country.

Questions for this akamu-brained zombie:
1. How can foreigners take out $365 billion out of an economy whose gross domestic product based on purchasing-power-parity (PPP) valuation of country GDP stands at [url=http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2009/02/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2006&ey=2009&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=694&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=&pr.x=83&pr.y=11]$333.983 billion[/url]
2. How can you take from an economy what it does not have?
3. How can the entire nation's GDP be remitted out of the country?
4. What is left to run the country?
5. Even if true, by some illogic, isn't it an indictment on those you cherish who are supposed to protect the economy from such massive/uncontrolled/illegal capital flight?

Fools will be fools!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by beefy23(m): 9:22pm On Nov 13, 2009
OvieE:

U must be an asshole. You probally denied visa hundred times and u could not make it to abroad to send money to feed your hungry lion and F ugly families.

and this is where the thread rapidly enters toilet territory and gets sucked away into the soakaway system  undecided
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by reindeer: 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2009
And to think that money woulda been a whole lot more if some of the people stil collecting back home have been allowed into the UK by the sometimes harsh Uk high commission.
Tell those people Nigeria wont require more foreign aid if they relax visa restrictions a bit now, i mean now i heard they almost ask for your grandfather's birth certificate grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 9:41pm On Nov 13, 2009
jara:

tosh-acer,

We have to be careful so that this loser of a man does not divide us - we are retirees, pensioners, cleaners, bus drivers, cart pushers and farmers in Nigeria who has never gained anything from Nigerian Government. These are the people Diasporans have to bond with.

tosher is a loser and a loafer looking for visa to go and dump his loot in Swiss bank or human courier of you know what.

In the first place, by your language, you must have been born in the gutter no doubt.

That $10 billion is pure clean money because you will be stupid to send fraudulent money thru Western Union or Money gram as you have to identify yourself but some of you in Nigeria dont know that. FBI will pay you a visit, so your fraud will be exposed.

That Nigeria politicians send much more than that outside. To whom, to their bank account or Diasporans who then send it back home? You wonder if people put on their thinking cap. Is that not the source of our problem? Politicians exchanging hard earned money, black gold for mirrows and toys.

That Chinese, Arabs etc take more out of Nigeria. In colusion with whom? Do these foreigners work as hard for their money as Nigerians do abroad? Whose fault is that if well placed Nigerians at home open their treasury for foreigners?

That some Diasporans live in shacks and do dirty work. If they do it in Nigeria and those who do it in Nigeria, what do they get paid? Can they feed their families with it? Out of their sweat, they send money home so that their relatives do not have to work as hard and if they do, will never get paid, or on time.

Diasporans do not brag about sending money home, they do it as a duty but some ingrates in Nigeria who can never work for money but know how to play 419 telling Diasporan they are building houses for them, they should send more money, they lend it to their brother and mother, they should send more money, they gave it to their father, send more money to marry etc.

They come back and ask -  How much is 100,000 ; how much is $100.00; how much is $10 billion. A pure characteristic of a loser and a loafer who never work for money.

Excellent piece all the way! kiss
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Afam(m): 9:46pm On Nov 13, 2009
OAM4J:

The essence of this thread is not to brag but to appreciate the effort of the Diasporas, and to point out that we contribute our quota to the economy of Nigeria which means we have a stake to determine and criticize how the Country is being governed. When we complain about the country, it’s because we feel the pain too. We wish the country is better and we would not be put under much pressure to pump this entire money home to take care of the dying masses of Nigeria.

Dying masses of Nigeria? Is this what your family members tell you so that you can send money to them?

It is this gross display of stupidity that makes it seem like anyone is against Nigerians living outside Nigeria when responding to the nonsense you put down here.

What work do you do where you are? State it here so that we can know if you are able to even make money legitimately let alone have extra to send home. Before you know it security guards and dish washers will be bragging about sending money to those they borrowed monies from while in Nigeria.

Dying masses in Nigeria indeed. I don't see any genuine hardworking Nigeria making such a stupid statement though.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by remoranger(m): 10:04pm On Nov 13, 2009
@richyblack. are you sure you are alright at all? are you not supposed to be a MODERATOR?, why all the insults and gutter language, i actually tot you where quite an intellligent and informed fella until you typed your last post.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by posakosa(m): 10:06pm On Nov 13, 2009
remoranger:

@richyblack. are you sure you are alright at all? are you not supposed to be a MODERATOR?, why all the insults and gutter language, i actually tot you where quite an intellligent and informed fella until you typed your last post.

Well said, REMO-----Thank god Im not the only one that notices his kontokhoto----   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed  At this time, he will probably DELETE ALL your posts.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by javalove(m): 10:09pm On Nov 13, 2009
Do not mind them especially those who managed to get a job in Nigeria and they think they live well when they still depend on us. Up Up for us that helping out people back home.  $10b= 1,522,500,000,000. Convented it at yahoo.com. This money we send to empower Nigeria economy. Take that one trillion plus from Nigeria economy, the country will be poorer than Niger more suffering.

if this is true for your familty members in naija. . . its not the same everywhere!!!!!

please take that statement back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u are making peanuts to what most Nigerians who "earn well" make in a month!!!!

Eat your words man!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by remoranger(m): 10:10pm On Nov 13, 2009
@posakosa. delete my posts? like i give a damn,
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by posakosa(m): 10:11pm On Nov 13, 2009
^^^^ well yea----- its up to you---- its NL and its not that serious but that HOW he abuses his power----- he DELETES posts.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by remoranger(m): 10:15pm On Nov 13, 2009
@poka. and the same clowns will turn round and say our LEADERS ARE BAD? buahahaahaa. i laugh in diasporian language
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by posakosa(m): 10:17pm On Nov 13, 2009
^^^^^ grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

l[b]ike leader, like followers[/b]   cool cool cool <I don't even pay attention to that anymore>

In fact, he might attempt to get you BANNED for going off topic----- undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OvieE: 12:01am On Nov 14, 2009
javalove:

if this is true for your familty members in naija. . . its not the same everywhere!!!!!

please take that statement back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u are making peanuts to what most Nigerians who "earn well" make in a month!!!!

Eat your words man!!!!!

Who give a damn if they make more money. They making more than me yet still suffering from diseases to food shortages. Why don't you eat you shit. Do you think that everyone travel out of Nigeria because of money? I always tell my family here in America that I can generate more money from our family business back home than my family back there are generating. But I prefer to enjoy my life than to suffer in a land your leaders do care about. Your so call leaders, how many times do you think they stay in Nigeria? Three or four days a week.  Every Thursday and Friday, they fly to Ghana for long weekend and enjoy their life and return back on Sunday to stanch more money for the following weekend. Would you tell me that you fucck leaders children are in over seas because of money? The answer is no. Your ugly parents suffer in a bad environment/poverty and you want to follow their foot step. Travel out and enjoy the kind of life your leaders are keeping away from you and just maybe you will be among people that contribute to Nigeria economy.  Whether we send small or big, we contribute to the dieing economy. Someone like you with a big mouth, how much have contribute to the economy?.  Last word, please do not be upset for calling you parents ugly but do not live the kind of life of poverty your parents live OK.

By the way, try to do spelling check before post.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 1:19am On Nov 14, 2009
Afam:

Dying masses of Nigeria? Is this what your family members tell you so that you can send money to them?

It is this gross display of stupidity that makes it seem like anyone is against Nigerians living outside Nigeria when responding to the nonsense you put down here.

What work do you do where you are? State it here so that we can know if you are able to even make money legitimately let alone have extra to send home. Before you know it security guards and dish washers will be bragging about sending money to those they borrowed monies from while in Nigeria.

Dying masses in Nigeria indeed. I don't see any genuine hardworking Nigeria making such a stupid statement though.

Please spare me the insults, like I am an ignorant who doesn’t know what is happening. For Your Information, I come to Nigeria minimum 3 times a year, so I know what am talking about. May be you live where you don’t see all these needs or you are blind or you just decided not to look or be bothered like many of them in government.

I don’t boast or brag about what I do, but I am very happy with myself and proud of what I do for a living. And those security guards and dishwashers you mentioned are able to take care of themselves, pay their bills and have leftovers to send home. The question is how many of you in their shoes can do the same? And what contributions do you make to the economy and those in need…. oh sorry I forgot, to you they don’t exist or you are just too dumb to notice they do.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by ayinba1(f): 1:24am On Nov 14, 2009
Diasporans +5

Nigerians nile (in Naija-again badmouthers exclusive) -5

Please no more insults. This debate could actually prove educational

RichyBlack is not prone to insulting on these threads but then we are all human so please let that slide so we can have a healthy discourse.

Please crunch your numbers before you post.   grin  cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by stede(m): 4:00am On Nov 14, 2009
nawa o. money dey dis country but why are 9igerians still suffering? a great question for everyone to anwser
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Kobojunkie: 4:20am On Nov 14, 2009
OAM4J:

[size=14pt]I don’t boast or brag about what I do, but I am very happy with myself and proud of what I do for a living. [/size]

That line there is very important as I have noticed there seems a need for people, who believe Nigeria is alright and well, to BOAST AND BRAG about what they do and how many people they employ in Nigeria ( sort of their way of saying Nigeria is developed because I do these things).
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by tosinadexx(f): 1:40pm On Nov 14, 2009
some good news but the money that flows out is double that
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by generalzango(m): 3:10pm On Nov 14, 2009
Hmmm
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by londoner: 3:17pm On Nov 14, 2009
If those in Nigeria think $10billion is nothing, then you take over the reigns, simple.

That $10 billion which is probably a conservative estimate, is coming from a comparatively small population of Nigerians living abroad. Have you considered that?

Many of us, along with some who are back home are filling in the gap of the government and the people who should be paying tax in Nigeria.

If we did not send money home, it would have some very harsh effects on some people back home.
There are some who would not have had an education up to university level, some who would not have recieved medical treatment when needed, some who would not have been able to set up their businesses, and some of you are seriously comparing it to money embessled from Nigeria and smuggled back in for the use of one man?

Its really that attitude of thinking nothing people give you out of their own sweat means anything, which really puts me off some Nigerians, its just never enough.

Many times, we dont even get a thankyou from those who directly benefit from the money being sent, we are only contacted to send more. This attitude of entitlement is destroying the fabric of family in Nigeria. Its hard to keep giving to people who sometimes dont appreciate what it took to get it, or that you dont have to send it in the first place.

Diasporan Nigerians, WELL DONE!!!!!

Nigerians back home, many are not living in luxury here and that money could have been pooled together among us here and put to some pressing issues within our own communities, but most of us would not sleep at night knowing we would be doing so at the detriment of people back home, that should be remembered.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by sleekp1: 5:00pm On Nov 14, 2009
Diaspora Nigerians in most cases are Security guards, 419ers, prostitutes,dish washers, taxi drivers, toilet attendants etc, are these the people we should be proud of?
Make Nigeria a developed nation and you might just end up seating in an office rather than cleaning the office. Goons.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by londoner: 5:30pm On Nov 14, 2009
^^^^ really,yet they could all muster up $10 billion dollars in the space of one year to send home, lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu!(the Jagaban Borgu). / PWC Audit:Kola Aluko And Jide Omokore Given $7bn Assets By Diezanni Madueke / President Tinubu Set To Depart For Qatar On Official Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.