Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,319 members, 7,780,791 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:17 PM

Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton (6437 Views)

TB Joshua: Why I Left South Sudan Quietly Without Thank You In Cash Or Kind / A Rejoinder On Why I Left Christ Embassy Church By Marchman / Why I Left Christ Embassy Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by MrMontella(m): 6:07pm On Dec 01, 2016
bennyann:

I see it's more about pleasure, selfish pleasure. Most of the atheists know the truth but they allow their selfish desires dictate for them, especially the Christians turned atheists.

Anyway, they're witnesses to themselves of how fulfilled they are with acting out their desires and how empty or unhappy they are on their beds afterwards.

They are witnesses to themselves. they may defend themselves right here with every weapon they can find, but deep down their hearts they know.

The amazing thing is that nothing is hidden before God.

What's the essence of selfish desires at the expense of true happiness. Indeed, wisdom is not really common.

We've all forgotten everything God does is for our sake.

As long as you're not connected to God, all the form of pleasures of this world you partake in will never, never lead to happiness, not to talk of joy.

I wish all of us grace.
sorry to say tho...
Your write up is really stupid
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by MrMontella(m): 6:09pm On Dec 01, 2016
LiberaDeus:

With all your points about some things not being discovered by science, doesn't it debunk your case.

Science with all its experiments and technology doesn't know what happened before the big bang but you think its religion with its dogma and archaic holy books that can discover.

In case you don't understand what god of the gaps is,

Let me explain it
Wonderful things in nature happen and you call them supernatural, historical things that can't be rediscovered have occured and we know science can't decipher them with its tools. We now have a void of knowledge that science hasn't filled because its logical and it's beyond its grasp,

Now the same people who claim science can't know now claim that they know.
Not just that they know buy that they know the name of the person that did it.
They know his son, they know his chosen tribe, they know the miracles he has performed, they know his will for their lives and all that. Now how do these people know?

They know by a logical, ancient book written in human language and logical constructs, the same logic that science can't use to decipher anything the only difference is that their logic is actually weaker.
They also claim they know by spiritual revelation, how do they know that the revelation is spiritual? They have a conviction.

They use the strength of their so called spiritual conviction to claim that they know and it's beyond science.

They don't know that they are unknowingly using science and logic, if you feel you have an experience that is so wonderful and supernatural and because of that experience you are sure that the spiritual is real, you are actually using logic because you are claiming that the conviction and experience with a greater effect on you is the real one which is basically logical comparison.

Christians and other religious people, if you claim that science can't know every thing, that's fine with us cause personally I don't believe science can know every thing, the only thing we ask is , how do you Christian know everything? Science doesn't know but you know. Is that not arrogance?
@ d bolded...
Its their ego thats in play....not their brains
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:09pm On Dec 01, 2016
[quote author=AngelsAndStars post=51522638] who says it's wrong? [/quote

Read your comment.
It is foolish to say there's a God,but more foolish to say their is none.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:15pm On Dec 01, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Don't worry, the atheists will come, but not immediately.

They're doing a background check on the character mentioned in the topic: in fact, they're doing research on all the names mentioned, and looking for loopholes and all sorts to come forth with...

Just watch.... grin I know them well... grin

Lol.......is like they have turned into 007
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:20pm On Dec 01, 2016
hahn:

Well, one part of being an atheists is that you always seek for evidence and scrutinize everything that comes your way

We are not encouraged by a book written by goat herders to believe blindly

smiley

Evidence!! are u serious?
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:24pm On Dec 01, 2016
LambanoPeace:

Trust me, these folks are believing folks who don't want to be held responsible for their immorality.

I once asked one on what does he base his morality.. Come see grammar na.

Asked him how did life come and how come there's much order in the earth.... come see More grammar.. Ok, what do you believe brought the earth.. More grammar..

How come people grow old and die even though their cells regenerate every time.. . More grammar.

Wait now, the fella would do two things, throw invectives around or more grammar.

Lol...they sound like dictionary that can only define a word using another word.
eg. who is Ape. Ape is son of B.who is B? B is father of Ape. and so on nothing reasonable.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:26pm On Dec 01, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

all these questions are called "God of the gaps"

it simply goes like this

Atheist: I don't believe there's a god

Theist: do you know how life came about and how the earth and the universe came about?

Atheist: I don't know but I won't fill replace that ignorance of mine with an imaginary being

basically "Because current science hasn't figured out exactly how life started, it must be God who caused life to start"

you can always use this logic for almost any question we are yet to get answers to but it doesn't do god any favours

God-of-the-gaps arguments have been discouraged by many theologians who assert that such arguments tend to relegate God to the leftovers of science: as scientific knowledge increases, the dominion of God decreases.

as for morality, the fact that we got rid of slavery and slave trade shows that our morals didn't come from any imaginary being, almost all religions in the world sees nothing wrong in slavery or straight up endorses it but we as humans realised it has no place in modern life

also consider the fact that morality actually varies from society to society and two different societies can have differing morals despite claiming to worship the same god!

Stop decieving yourself Science is not a yardstick to searchout God's existences

“Science is incompetent to reason upon the
creation of matter itself out of
nothing. We have reached the utmost limit of our thinking faculties when we have admitted that because matter cannot be eternal and self-existent it must have been created.”— Physicist and mathematician James
Clerk Maxwell, who is credited with formulating classical electromagnetic theory and whose contributions to science are considered to be of the same magnitude to those of Einstein and
Newton.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by felixomor: 6:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
blueAgent:

Stop decieving yourself Science is not a yardstick to search. out God's existences

nothing. We have reached the utmost limit of our thinking faculties when we have admitted that because matter cannot be eternal and self-existent it must have been created.”— Physicist and mathematician James
Clerk Maxwell, who is credited with formulating classical electromagnetic theory and whose contributions to science are considered to be of the same magnitude to those of Einstein and
Newton.

Abeg tell am. cool

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:33pm On Dec 01, 2016
bennyann:

I see it's more about pleasure, selfish pleasure. Most of the atheists know the truth but they allow their selfish desires dictate for them, especially the Christians turned atheists.

Anyway, they're witnesses to themselves of how fulfilled they are with acting out their desires and how empty or unhappy they are on their beds afterwards.

They are witnesses to themselves. they may defend themselves right here with every weapon they can find, but deep down their hearts they know.

What's the essence of selfish desires at the expense of true happiness. Indeed, wisdom is not really common.

As long as you're not connected to God, all the form of pleasures of this world you partake in will never, never lead to happiness, not to talk of joy.

I wish all of us grace.

I concur 100%
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:39pm On Dec 01, 2016
promisechuks:

Another foolish deception is this nonsense logic of God of gap, this and that.

what I saying here is not for you, the quoted, because it is a waste on you.

There are things that are OBVIOUSLY not explainable by sciences. in this case, saying that science will discover one day is a just a wishful thinking borne out of a weird delusion, ignorance, dishonesty, stupidity and denial.

for the unknown to have a tendency of being discovered by science, it must have a scientific basis. it just like saying that science will discover what happened before big bang. that's simply dumb, because the natural laws(science) that we have now is not the same with what we have before big bang. it is opposite.

There is no way you can discover something with an opposing view, other wise you are just creating A NEW LIE that will be debunked one day.

so, when something is obvious that it doesn't work under the natural laws we have now in the world, it means for that to have happened, there must have been an outside force. and that force must not be a natural force, but Supernatural.

I Concur 100%

“A Creator must exist. The Big Bang ripples
and subsequent scientific findings are clearly
pointing to an ex nihilo creation consistent with the first few verses of the book of Genesis.”
–Quantum chemist Henry F. Schaefer III ,five time nominee for the Nobel Prize, as above.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
promisechuks:

I just marvel when people say that atheists are intelligent folks. it is an abuse on "Intelligence".

Lol.....Irony they are DUMB like Rock.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:43pm On Dec 01, 2016
hahn:

Nothing is perfect. Atheists might be wrong for not believing in any supreme being. That is if any actually exist.

The lack of evidence that this "God" exists is what keeps atheists ambivalent of the concept.

Till "God" shows itself in a suit or a basketball jersey it will continue to be treated as non existent by those who require evidence and don't subscribe to blind belief

“They (evolutionists) challenge science to
prove the existence of God. But must we really
light a candle to see the sun? They say they
cannot visualize a Designer. Well, can a
physicist visualize an electron? What strange
rationale makes some physicists accept the
inconceivable electron as real while refusing
to accept the reality of a Designer on the
grounds that they cannot conceive Him?”
Although I know of no reference to Christ
ever commenting on scientific work, I do know
that He said, “Ye shall know the truth, and the
truth shall make you free.” Thus I am certain
that, were He among us today, Christ would
encourage scientific research as modern man’s
most noble striving to comprehend and admire His Father’s handiwork. The universe as
revealed through scientific inquiry is the living
witness that God has indeed been at work.”
—Werner von Braun, the father of space science and the most important rocket scientist involved in the development of the U.S. space program.

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by LiberaDeus: 6:44pm On Dec 01, 2016
MrMontella:

@ d bolded...
Its their ego thats in play....not their brains

Don't mind the scumbags

Let me face their useless posts now
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
LiberaDeus:

With all your points about some things not being discovered by science, doesn't it debunk your case.

Science with all its experiments and technology doesn't know what happened before the big bang but you think its religion with its dogma and archaic holy books that can discover.

In case you don't understand what god of the gaps is,

Let me explain it
Wonderful things in nature happen and you call them supernatural, historical things that can't be rediscovered have occured and we know science can't decipher them with its tools. We now have a void of knowledge that science hasn't filled because its logical and it's beyond its grasp,

Now the same people who claim science can't know now claim that they know.
Not just that they know buy that they know the name of the person that did it.
They know his son, they know his chosen tribe, they know the miracles he has performed, they know his will for their lives and all that. Now how do these people know?

They know by a logical, ancient book written in human language and logical constructs, the same logic that science can't use to decipher anything the only difference is that their logic is actually weaker.
They also claim they know by spiritual revelation, how do they know that the revelation is spiritual? They have a conviction.

They use the strength of their so called spiritual conviction to claim that they know and it's beyond science.

They don't know that they are unknowingly using science and logic, if you feel you have an experience that is so wonderful and supernatural and because of that experience you are sure that the spiritual is real, you are actually using logic because you are claiming that the conviction and experience with a greater effect on you is the real one which is basically logical comparison.

Christians and other religious people, if you claim that science can't know every thing, that's fine with us cause personally I don't believe science can know every thing, the only thing we ask is , how do you Christian know everything? Science doesn't know but you know. Is that not arrogance?

“If we need an atheist for a debate, we go to
the philosophy department. The physics
department isn’t much use.”
—Robert Griffiths, winner of the Heinemann
Prize in mathematical physics.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by LiberaDeus: 6:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
blueAgent:

Stop decieving yourself Science is not a yardstick to searchout God's existences

Newton.

Stop quoting people. Don't you have thoughts yourself?

Please what is the yardstick to search out Gods existence?

If we have reached the end of our thinking4 faculties, how did you surpass that end? Is it by having faith or what
Are you not seeing that you are saying the same thing over and over again? If we have reached the end then why do you claim that you have crossed it?
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by LiberaDeus: 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2016
blueAgent:

“If we need an atheist for a debate, we go to
the philosophy department. The physics
department isn’t much use.”
—Robert Griffiths, winner of the Heinemann
Prize in mathematical physics.

Think for yourself and stop posting others comments.

I can as well be posting Richard Dawkins and Stephen hawking. Why use will that be? I have my own points and thoughts and I will be bring them out.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:50pm On Dec 01, 2016
Teempakguy:
I have only myself to be blamed for engaging these guys in the first place. That's why I get mentioned in stupid threads like this.

So in other words, our guy left atheism due to a appeal to authority fallacy, right? "A prof said it can't be done. So, it can't be done"

I suppose if max Planck, Leonhard Euler, Nikola Tesla, the wright brothers, and Steve Jobs were like our boy here, the world would have been as advanced as this.

Please refrain from wasting my time like this in the future.

He just got over the fantasy and delusion of Bigbang and Evolution.

All the scientist and people you called where not Athiests.

www.nairaland.com/3452546/scientists-quotes-god
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:50pm On Dec 01, 2016
solite3:
Atheists are very slow and dull.
One of them said that until God wear jersey and take a stroll to a basketball court he will not believe. African atheists are particularly stupid and irrationally close minded. some white atheist are open minded and are very open to rational discussion.
There is nothing like African atheist only blacks who take white as their god become atheists. Ask them question you see them quoting theories and philosophy of their white masters, this is why africa is at the background in everything. Some Black people's mentality is too poor!

I concur 100%

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by LiberaDeus: 6:52pm On Dec 01, 2016
blueAgent:

“They (evolutionists) challenge science to
prove the existence of God. But must we really
light a candle to see the sun? They say they
cannot visualize a Designer. Well, can a
physicist visualize an electron? What strange
rationale makes some physicists accept the
inconceivable electron as real while refusing
to accept the reality of a Designer on the
grounds that they cannot conceive Him?”
Although I know of no reference to Christ
ever commenting on scientific work, I do know
that He said, “Ye shall know the truth, and the
truth shall make you free.” Thus I am certain
that, were He among us today, Christ would
encourage scientific research as modern man’s
most noble striving to comprehend and admire His Father’s handiwork. The universe as
revealed through scientific inquiry is the living
witness that God has indeed been at work.”
—Werner von Braun, the father of space science and the most important rocket scientist involved in the development of the U.S. space program.

In case you don't know, the electron can be seen with the human eye with the aid of electron microscope. That analogy is useless.

And even if we can't see an electron, can we also see love? Can we see hate? Can we see the wind or electricity? The answer is No
But we can surely feel their effects

Am not against the belief in a god. I am an agnostic so I accept the possibility of intelligent beings existing before mankind or even planet earth.
The only thing I am against is the religious personal creator that you religious people have created.

I will ask you the same things that I asked one other christian. Please what is the proof that all the wonderful things we talk about was created by Yahweh the Jewish god whom Christians claim to serve alongside his son Jesus Christ?
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:53pm On Dec 01, 2016
LiberaDeus:

Think for yourself and stop posting others comments.

I can as well be posting Richard Dawkins and Stephen hawking. Why use will that be? I have my own points and thoughts and I will be bring them out.

Even your Dawkins believes that the world did not originate by chance.

www.nairaland.com/3300679/science-view-fine-turning-universe
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:54pm On Dec 01, 2016
MrMontella:
sorry to say tho... Your write up is really stupid

Are sure? he just painted a true picture of an Athiests

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by jonbellion(m): 6:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
blueAgent:

what you said had nothing to do with his comment
He said he is agnostic
Don't you know the meaning of agnostic
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 6:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
LiberaDeus:

In case you don't know, the electron can be seen with the human eye with the aid of electron microscope. That analogy is useless.

And even if we can't see an electron, can we also see love? Can we see hate? Can we see the wind or electricity? The answer is No
But we can surely feel their effects

Am not against the belief in a god. I am an agnostic so I accept the possibility of intelligent beings existing before mankind or even planet earth.
The only thing I am against is the religious personal creator that you religious people have created.

I will ask you the same things that I asked one other christian. Please what is the proof that all the wonderful things we talk about was created by Yahweh the Jewish god whom Christians claim to serve alongside his son Jesus Christ?

II guess you know better than

—Werner von Braun, the father of space
science and the most important rocket
scientist involved in the development of the
U.S. space program.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by LiberaDeus: 7:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
bennyann:

I wish all of us grace.

All your claims are claims from authority that you don't have. Let me address them one by one

1. Concerning pleasures, who is more selfish. You Christians maintain belief for the sake of a mansion in the sky with all the goodies4 of life to be enjoyed forever and ever and ever. You guys are basically drawn with a carrot for something that doesn't exist. You are like the medieval Spanish that were after an Eldorado in the new world. Many Spaniards sold all their property to achieve that Eldorado. Nothing but pure greed.
What's even worse is that the Christians that are meant to sacrifice selfish pleasures never do that. They hang on to it till death, its like eating your cake and having it. Most Christians fornicate, steal, embezzlement, hate and do all sorts of horrible things and they still hope for the eternal blessing of heaven.
Now who has more selfish desires, the atheists that have accepted the 80 year life as the only they have and are not drawn by any fantastic claims or the Christians who want an eternity of enjoyment and still want to hang on to their earthly desires.

2. You don't know what's in anyone's heart. Can you tell me my real name or my state of origin? Can you tell me whre I am typing from? How can you now know what's in my heart. You have never been a freethinker while ironically most of us have been religious. You know only what's in your mind . If you have a spouse, you can't even know exactly the extent of love the person has for you so how can you estimate what we are thinking when we lie down when you don't even know the part of the world or country that we lie down in.

3. If you say nothing is hidden before God. I have just one question. Which God ? Allah, Vishnu, Brahman, Yahweh, Ahura Mazda. Please I need to know which god.

4. All your other statements still lead to the question. Which God.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by jonbellion(m): 7:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
blueAgent:

U.S. space program.
you do know your comments are not making any sense. You're not refuting what he's saying you're using other christian scientists comments to support the fact that since they believed in God then God must exist
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by LiberaDeus: 7:06pm On Dec 01, 2016
blueAgent:

U.S. space program.

And am sure you and Werner von Braun know more than Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein who are atheist and pantheist respectively.

If you can't summarize his views and give your opinion of his views then what's the use? I can also be calling great scientists that don't believe but I won't because i am not running under the canopy of another persons intellect.
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by LiberaDeus: 7:10pm On Dec 01, 2016
blueAgent:

Guy I just read this post and I almost fainted.

C'mon even your other apologists won't use this argument.

Is there any body that doesn't know that Richard Dawkins is an avowed atheist who totally despises the Christian concept of god.
So if I am to show you a link that says that Hitler was in love with the Jews won't you know that the statement was taken out of context?

I don't need to open that link cause I know Dawkins more than you do and I am 100 percent sure that the only fine tuning Dawkins is talking of is the fine tuning as a result of natural selection and evolution.

You even have the guts to present this as evidence

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by LiberaDeus: 7:13pm On Dec 01, 2016
jonbellion:
He said he is agnostic

Don't mind these Christians.

They think that by collectively repeating to themselves that atheists are dumb that they will convince them selves of it.

Any honest Christian can tell you that agnostics and atheists are generally better read and more exposed on average than Christians. We might be few but most Christians know that agnostics and atheists generally have more knowledge than them. Many even claim that we reject god because we think we know too much.

Now these wankers on this thread are trying so hard to rewrite facts and claim that the opposite is the case.

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 7:13pm On Dec 01, 2016
LiberaDeus:

And am sure you and Werner von Braun know more than Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein who are atheist and pantheist respectively.

If you can't summarize his views and give your opinion of his views then what's the use? I can also be calling great scientists that don't believe but I won't because i am not running under the canopy of another persons intellect.

Like i said Hawkins and most scientists do not believe in a random or chaos beginging of the World.
Secondly Aberlt Enisten was not an Athiests.

Everyone who is seriously involved in the
pursuit of science becomes convinced
that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the
Universe–a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which
we with our modest powers must feel humble.”
“In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people
who say there is no God. But what really or makes
me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.”
–Albert Einstein
Clark, Ronald W. (1971). Einstein: The Life and
Times . New York: World Publishing company
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2016
LiberaDeus:

Guy I just read this post and I almost fainted.

C'mon even your other apologists won't use this argument.

Is there any body that doesn't know that Richard Dawkins is an avowed atheist who totally despises the Christian concept of god.
So if I am to show you a link that says that Hitler was in love with the Jews won't you know that the statement was taken out of context?

I don't need to open that link cause I know Dawkins more than you do and I am 100 percent sure that the only fine tuning Dawkins is talking of is the fine tuning as a result of natural selection and evolution.

You even have the guts to present this as evidence

Are you show you read the article and Dawkins statement about the low probability of the world originating by chance?
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 7:17pm On Dec 01, 2016
jonbellion:
He said he is agnostic

Of course i know what is agnostism. but why do you athiests claim that he is an Athiests?
Re: Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton by blueAgent(m): 7:22pm On Dec 01, 2016
jonbellion:
you do know your comments are not making any sense. You're not refuting what he's saying you're using other christian scientists comments to support the fact that since they believed in God then God must exist

I just proved that Christanity does not limit ones ability to pratice and excel in Science.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Religion Is Ridiculous / Should A Christian Woman Wear Immodest Dress Like Bikini, Mini Skirts, And Short / Praise Or Worship, Which One Should Take More Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.